Coconut Oil

curious_richard said:
go2 said:
The outlet store sells 32 pound pails of coconut oil imported from the Philippines for about 50 USD.

Would you mind giving the name or URL for this outlet store? I would be delighted to find a source at $1.56 per pound.

The best price I have found online is $135 for five gallons (organic, pressed), which I have calculated to be 38.5 pounds), giving a price of $3.5 per pound, or $112 for 32 pounds.

The coconut oil at Walmart is about $5.50 for 930ml (== 860 gram == 1.9 pound), or $2.90/pound and this is probably non organic and extracted with solvents.

Hi curious_richard, I was wrong on the prices and what I was buying. Today I found out that organic extra virgin coconut oil is pressed from fresh coconut and plain organic coconut oil is pressed from dried coconut. The organic extra virgin coconut oil is about twice as expensive as the organic coconut oil. I bough a gallon(7.70 lbs) for 41.85 USD. They sell this grade at 195.50 USD for 5 gallons(36.5 lbs) or 5.38 USD per lbs. The organic coconut oil is 99.50 USD for 5 gallons (36.5 lbs) or 2.72 USD per lbs. The company is www.glorybeefoods.com. It is a small family owned business. I didn't inquire about shipping.

Found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut-500ml/dp/B004BRYZY0

Looks like good stuff at a decent price.

Not sure about shipping outside of CAN/US, but I buy mine here (organic): http://nutiva.com/ (also hemp oil, etc.)

1984 said:
Not sure about shipping outside of CAN/US, but I buy mine here (organic): http://nutiva.com/ (also hemp oil, etc.)

Thanks for that link--that is the brand I was looking at, as the one I usually get isn't currently in stock at Amazon--they are selling the Nutiva brand in a two-pack, at a discount: http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-15-Ounce/dp/B001EO5Q64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297831163&sr=8-1

Love coconut oil...been using soaps made with it, using it as a face and body moisturizer, hair conditioner (sparingly, otherwise your hair looks kinda stringy), using it with baking soda as a toothpaste, also. Makes the baking soda a little easier on the gums.

Plus it tastes wonderful. :D

I have spent a bit of time in Indonesia and have asked about coconut a few times. It is used widely in cooking, drinks and skin applications. I recall having a conversation with one lady in particular who told me that she has her children drink from the coconut to aid their immunity. She likened drinking the coconut water to us 'vaccinating' our children. Now, I have not researched this in depth, but strongly opposing immunisation, I do feed our little boy quite a bit of coconut stuff. We make porridge w coconut milk, stir fries and laksas with the cream and cook always with the oil.

Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/224164-Coconut-Oil-Benefits-When-Fat-Is-Good-For-You

I've read a article on Sott before about the amazing coconut oil. I checked out the two major supermarkets online but they dont sell it. I have found a place in the uk that do. Here. It costs £11.47 for a jar of 460ml. I thought this was quite pricey to fry eggs with. Has anyone tried coconut oil before and if so what did they think?

Jamie

Re: Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You

mugatea said:
I checked out the two major supermarkets online but they dont sell it. I have found a place in the uk that do. Here. It costs £11.47 for a jar of 460ml. I thought this was quite pricey. Has anyone tried coconut oil before and if so what did they think?

I've been using coconut oil regularly for a year or so now in many different recipes. It has a very distinct flavor so you'd want to consider the taste over others oils for dishes you prepare. I happen to like the taste, others do not. I'd suggest trying a jar and see what you think. As far as the cost, and once you decide whether you like the taste, perhaps you can buy it in bulk elsewhere on the net?

I personally can't tolerate coconut oil or milk, so it's probably a good idea to do a test run and see how your stomach reacts.

Regarding the potential benefits of coconut oil, you can do a search on YouTube for Dr. Mary Newport. She has had some amazing results treating her husband's Alzheimer's disease. The product is available at GNC stores in the U.S. Ever since I found those videos, I've been adding coconut oil to our evening tea drinks.

BTW, I'm a new member. I discovered Laura about a year ago and have read almost all of her work, which is both voluminous and amazing. The C material resonates deeply with me. More than logic, it just "feels" right. I have an engineering and finance, trading background and have practiced martial arts and taichi for many years. I've been following the forum for about 6 months, and have had the pleasure of meeting Brainwave in one of the EE classes in NYC.

The recent transcripts are nothing short of amazing, and a bit frightening. But it is also so very logical. With all that has gone on, with all the choices made thus far, what else can you expect?

Mod's note: Edited to keep the privacy of the member of the forum.

Hi sitting,

Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. You can read through the many newbie introductions to get a feel for how others have done it. Thanks.

Hello all, and thanks for the useful info gathered.

I have been using coconut oil for a while, having understood one shouldn't stop at the label "saturated fat" when lauric acid is taken into account, but I avoided cooking it, having read that it was degraded at temperatures over 180°C (when fumes appear. reference needed). I used olive oil instead for cooking purposes (as suggested in Detoxify or Die, for instance p62).

The Dr. Mercola quote in sott latest article about coconut oil (unable to insert quote right now due to sott.net being unreachable at the moment, so this is just from memory) says exactly the opposite : that coconut oil is to be prefered over olive oil for cooking purpose, since saturated fats have a better heat stability than unsaturated fats (that can change into trans fats when cooked). I probably got something wrong in the first place.

The chemical explanation seems to make sense, but are there other references regarding the choice of a cooking oil ?

Best regards.

I was travelled in thaïland last year .
So many coconut in this country,but best are coconut growing on islands
If you travel in that country ,specialy in Ko phanga island,yu can find excellent homemade(artisanal production) coconut oil (in the interior of the island on the edge of the road...
Very good medicine !

I've found coconut oil in a Chinese shop. This is this bottle:
coconut-oil--ktc.jpg

But unlike this photo, the oil inside mine is more white and thick. In fact so thick that it won't flow out of the bottle.

It look like this:
56-97-large.jpg

Do you know if it's normal or if I must throw it away?

Back
Top Bottom