Eight killed in Durban storm

Erna

The Living Force
Eight killed in Durban storm

_http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2426626,00.html

Durban - Eight people were killed and at least 400 houses destroyed in a heavy storm in Durban's Molweni area on Friday.

Families were milling around in the drizzling rain devastated and in disbelief at what had happened.

A resident, Sime Majola said he was in his house when the storm struck.

"I tried to close the door and then the roof came off and when I ran out, the house collapsed behind me," said Majola.

He described the week as being one of the worst in his life because he had lost his job on Wednesday and now his house was in ruins.

Democratic Alliance councillor Tex Collins said the storm was over in about five to six minutes.

"The storm arrived, it was over in a matter of five or six minutes...it was hail, rain and wind. It's as though someone drove a bulldozer though the area," said Collins.

Another resident, Lindiwe Ntshangase, said her house was fine but was concerned about her brother who also lived in a house in the area. She said she was still waiting for him to arrive.

Police earlier said two children were believed to be among the dead. They were apparently killed when houses collapsed, Superintendent Muzi Mngomezulu said.

People were standing outside their houses, loading whatever they could salvage into cars.

A large contingent of police, and rescue and emergency services personnel were at the scene.

KwaZulu-Natal ambulance service staff said at least 100 people were reported to be injured. Of the injured, fifty were described as being in a serious condition.

Several water mains had burst, roof tiles were lifted off, walls had collapsed and trees were blown down.

At a distance one could see a tuckshop which was almost lifted off its side.

Although it was unconfirmed, it was believed this could have been the work a tornado.

Officials were walking around with loud hailers trying to ascertain the damage and assist people.

Meanwhile, in the Shongweni area, telephone poles had been buckled and bowled over by strong winds.

The storm caused a huge traffic back-up in Durban's western areas, including Shongweni.

It sounds like a freak storm - is that sort of thing common in that area, Erna?

[quote author=anart]
is that sort of thing common in that area, Erna?
[/quote]

Not at all! Destructive weather is something fairly unknown to us. South Africa has a fantastic climate, hence the term "sunshine country". There has been occasional flooding in the past, but it's rare and a big deal when it happens. The flooding has increased though (Cape Province and KwaZulu Natal Province). We don't know tornadoes, hurricanes and cyclones. Just an interesting tit-bit; South Africa is often referred to as all the countries within one country, because of our variety of landscapes and climates. We have a dessert (Karoo, Northern Cape), tropical forests (Mpumalanga Province), dry savannah (Free State Province), the Highveld where I live has a dryish climate with Summer rainfall and lots of thunderstorms, compared to the Western Cape with it's Winter rainfall (no thunderstorms and a continuous drizzle that carries on for days), and then Winter snow in the Drakensberg (KwaZulu Natal Province). This can of course be said about the US as well, but if you consider the fact that SA is about the size of Texas, it makes it quite noteworthy.

Very interesting. From the article, it sounded like it shocked everyone, so I was thinking it must be unusual - thanks for the info!

Just for clarity sake, I looked it up today. Comparatively, the area occupied by South Africa is slightly less than twice the size of the state of Texas.

Texas = 691,030 sq km
SA = 1,219,912 sq km

On face value they looked about the same size :shock:

Gee, you'd almost think that they represent the US as being larger than it really is on almost all maps! ;)

You joke! :lol: This was really done in the distant past, but for a change the Americans weren't the culprits ;) On ancient maps Africa was depicted much smaller in relation to Europe for political reasons. I can't remember where I read it now, but I'll try and find it.

It would appear as though size does count ;)

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DODkBWJFt74

Found it! (small print at the bottom of the world map on the wall).

It says:

Traditional maps, of which the Mercator illustrated opposite is one example, have tended to show countries incorrectly in proportion to one another, to the advantage of the European colonial powers, while the southern continents (Africa, South America, Australia) are shown far too small.

Then there's a little map with a really tiny South America and underneath it says:

Europe, with it's 9.7 million sq km appears to be larger than South America which is 17.8 million sq km, in fact nearly twice the size of Europe.

Then there's one map with a gigantic North America which says underneath:

North America appears to be considerably larger than Africa which is 30 million sq km. In fact it is smaller, (actually 19 million sq km).

On the 3rd map there's a really tiny little India which says underneath:

Scandinavia and Finland, 1.1 million sq km seems to be as large as India with 3.3 million sq km. In fact India is three times the size of Scandinavia and Finland.

The last one has a really tiny China and says:

Greenland with 2.1 million sq km appears larger than China when in fact China with 9.5 million sq km is more than four times larger.

Wish I could include the pictures, but it's in a glass frame. It's a Peters World Map which claims to be superior in it's portrayal of proportions and sizes. All the continents look thinner than other maps we are used to. You can see here on their website what I mean: _www.petersmap.com

The other info I gave on top has a website address next to it, where I suppose you might find those pics of the disproportionate world maps: _www.newint.org

EDIT: Nope, all the info is on the petersmap website. Very interesting. But I'm going to keep the other link as well. Very good info on there.

The Peters Map and The Mercator Map:

_http://www.petersmap.com/page2.html

Wow! Africa is huge!! Thanks for sharing that. Just another reminder of how we've barely scratched the surface of all the ways our minds have been controlled for centuries. :O

Back
Top Bottom