Bleeding gums ?

Tomek

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Hello there,

I noticed traces of blood when I brush my teeth, a few weeks ago. Now, I constantly had the taste of blood in my mouth. I took a few little precautions: mouthwash and dental floss for almost 3 weeks, but the phenomenon seems to increase ... Yesterday, I even had to go all that spit in my mouth as my gums had started to bleed profusely, while I was working at my computer.

I talked with a friend about two weeks ago it seemed to suffer the same symptoms as me. She told me she had gone to the pharmacy to find a solution, and after having described his problem, the pharmacist said, "ah, you too ...". We both live in Paris.

Is there something I should do or consider before visiting the doc ?

If its been ongoing for 3 weeks and you are now getting profuse bleeding then best go see the doctor.
Some info on bleeding gums is available here _http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003062.htm

For myself its usually an indicator of lack of vitamin C, but I only ever sometimes get the tiniest amount of blood on my toothbrush and its quite rare.

I would take 2000-4000 mg of vit. C with bioflavinoids daily. If this doesn't improve w/in a week, the cause could be periodontal disease and you'll need professional help w/treatment.

Gentle, thorough brushing with bentonite clay and oil pulling would help too.

You said, that you bleed "profusely" from the gum. This is certainly not normal and not a normal sign of periodontal disease. If you start flossing your teeth regularly, you might experience gum bleeding for the first 1-3 weeks, but it normally shouldn't be more than a tinge after spitting out the saliva. So my advice would be to see the doctor just to rule out a clotting disease or see a dentist, if your gum is very painful. If that's negative then check your diet and supplement with vitamins and minerals.

There is also an Italian product called Gengigel (but any product containing hyaluronic acid will do) . It works great for periodontal disease the only problem is as soon as you stop the treatment the symptoms are back.
as others pointed out it may be vitamin C deficiency - especially if you are heavy smoker, also some heavy metals can cause profuse bleeding from the gums but it would be at the later stage of poisoning so in this case you would feel other serious symptoms

This was from a recent article posted on SOTT titled "What You Body Is Telling You?"

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/187804-What-Your-Body-Is-Telling-You-

Diabetes alone costs the nation an estimated $174 billion annually; people with diabetes have more than twice the average medical bills than those without. Signs of diabetes show up all over the body, from bleeding gums to tingling feet to darkened skin patches on the neck and underarms.

Might be something to research further.

Ryan

I have had problems with bleeding gums in the past. I was healed when I stopped eating gluten and started taking supplements like Vitamin C, Coenzyme Q10, Folic acid, Vitamin E, etc.

So another thing to consider, gluten can make your gums "raw".

psyche said:
I have had problems with bleeding gums in the past. I was healed when I stopped eating gluten and started taking supplements like Vitamin C, Coenzyme Q10, Folic acid, Vitamin E, etc.

So another thing to consider, gluten can make your gums "raw".

Yes, Gluten can cause inflammation and inflammation can cause periodontal problems. I used to suffer myself, and since changing my diet - especially removing gluten and dairy products - there has been no problem at all.

And, it is NOT from smoking as dentists (and other health professionals) are programmed to believe and say. What is true is that, very often, people who smoke are self-medicating some sort of inflammation to begin with.

In a sense, gingevitis can be a symptom of auto-immune disorders. There is a clue about that here:

The clinical spectrum of desquamative gingivitis

Crispian Scullya and Stephen R. PorterCorresponding Author Contact Information, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University of London, London, England

Available online 3 June 2006.

Desquamative gingivitis is a fairly common complaint. Typically seen in females who are middleaged or older, it is predominantly a manifestation of a range of vesiculobullous disorders. The main complaint is of persistent soreness of the gingiva. Most cases are related to lichen planus or pemphigoid, but it is also important to exclude pemphigus, dermatitis herpetiformis, linear IgA disease, chronic ulcerative stomatitis, and other conditions. Biopsy is invariably requlred to confirm the diagnosis after a full history, general, and oral examination. Apart from improving the oral hygiene, immunosuppressive therapy is typically required to control the condition.

My suggestion would be to start reading the diet and health section of this forum and get some ideas about what is going on in your total physical picture. It is important to be knowledgable about your body and how it works so that you can take care of yourself now and in the future.

More:

Gingivitis: New Insights Into Inflammation And Periodontal Diseases

At the forefront of dentistry today is an increasing knowledge of the role of chronic inflammation and the changes it can cause in both the oral cavity and systemically. Now you can gain a new level of understanding with these informative articles to help you more effectively treat your patients with gingival inflammation. Originally appearing in the July 2004 Supplement to the Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry entitled, "Gingivitis: An Inflammatory Periodontal Disease" these articles are available to you online at www.ColgateProfessional.com or by calling your Colgate Representative.

Inflammation is the localized, protective response of the body to injury or infection. The classic clinical signs that characterize inflammation are heat, redness, swelling, pain, and loss of function. During inflammation, cells and their secreted chemicals attempt to destroy, dilute, or wall off the injurious agent. A series of biochemical events cause the blood vessels to dilate and become more permeable, resulting in the activation of the complement, clotting and kinin systems. The end result of inflammation is the return of function by the regeneration or repair of the affected tissue. In some instances, inflammation may continue for a prolonged period of time, producing untoward consequences for localized tissue as well as the entire body.The purpose of this article is to provide a basic and simplified understanding of how the inflammatory process functions in the human body.
CE2 — Periodontal Inflammation: From Gingivitis to Systemic Disease?

Frank A. Scannapieco, DMD, PhD

There has been a resurgence of interest in recent years in the systemic effects of oral infections such as periodontal diseases. The study of the various means by which periodontal infections and inflammation may influence a variety of systemic conditions is collectively referred to as periodontal medicine. The periodontium responds to toothborne biofilm (dental plaque) by the process of inflammation. Dental biofilms release a variety of biologically active products, such as bacterial lipopolysaccharides (endotoxins), chemotactic peptides, protein toxins, and organic acids. These molecules stimulate the host to produce a variety of responses, among them the production and release of potent agents known as cytokines. These include interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-8, prostaglandins, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. There is a spectrum of periodontal response to these molecules, from mild gingivitis to severe destructive periodontitis. These and other host products and responses may influence a variety of important disease pathways, including atherosclerosis, mucosal inflammation, and premature parturition. The purpose of this article is to review the possible biological pathways by which periodontal diseases may influence these disease processes.

PDF version of the whole article with diagrams

Thanks everyone. I started a detox treatment : it may improve this bleeding gums condition or not, that can't be bad ;) but I'll check with a dentist this week, just to be sure.

I'm not fond of dairy products, but what about gluten ? It's gonna be hard to avoid it. Seriously, gluten is frackin' everywhere :o

Polonel said:
Thanks everyone. I started a detox treatment : it may improve this bleeding gums condition or not, that can't be bad ;) but I'll check with a dentist this week, just to be sure.

I'm not fond of dairy products, but what about gluten ? It's gonna be hard to avoid it. Seriously, gluten is frackin' everywhere :o

Polonel,

You might want to check out the Recipes section and search for "gluten", there are some recipe threads out there. Here are a few:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=6103.0
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12490.0
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12492.0
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12487.msg90188#msg90188

Personally, I've never had a problem with gluten, but I know many people do. Regardless, I don't want it to become a problem, so I'm going to try to slowly phase it out of my diet. I purchase a lot of foods in bulk, so it takes 6 months or so before I can start buying new flour/grains - and money right now is tight. I'm already experimenting with different gluten free recipes and finding ones that suit my taste in the meantime.

I have a big problem with lactose and pretty much all cow-milk products, so I know what it's like having to avoid foods. I've been lucky to have found a farm close by that sells raw goats milk which I can tolerate somewhat. I've even got into a little bit of cheesemaking (which btw, raw goat cheese makes an excellent pizza!)

You really have to pay attention to things like food labels, and try to cook as much as your food from your own ingredients as possible. The increase in awareness and attention of what goes into your body is worth it in end, OSIT.

Ryan

Hi Polonel,

I have had periodontal issues myself, despite good mouth care and never having had a cavity. Since I've gone gluten free I've noticed that my mouth feels much fresher. I also don't use any commercial toothpastes, mostly baking soda and a spray of magnesium sometimes. I've also tried expirimenting with brushing with some CoQ10 to help repair some of the damaged gum tissue. I also take it in tablet form.
Just one more thing you may want to look into. ;D

Also you may be calcium deficient. If I remember correctly bone loss has been implicated in receding gums. Gluten can block calcium absorption.

I too have had peridontal issues most of my life - build-up of tartar, leading to the recent loss of two front teeth due to receding gums - erosion of the bone beneath them. Whilst I have undergone a detox of heavy metals/environmental contaminants, and am just completing the UltraMind detox, I have yet to do a Candida detox. Gluten had not really entered my thoughts. I rarely drink milk, somethong I dropped out of my diet many years ago, and as a Blood type A, only Goats cheese is allowed. However, flour of some form or another does keep cropping up in my diet, even though I avoid it whenever I can. I have yet to drop commercial toothpastes, but do use three sprays of Transdermal Magnesium Chloride last thing at night. It is too soon to determine any effect from this yet.

Thanks for the information everyone, and Polonel for bringing up this subject. My gums have been very sensitive and bleeding easily for the last week or so. I did a little research into it - seems I have a few symptons of gingivitis. I figured on top of the usual solutions; brushing, flossing, certain mouthwashes and dental cleaning, I'd see what's been said about it on the forum.

I have been able to keep my teeth and gums in top shape by flossing EVERY night and gently brushing with peroxide and baking soda at night, and a fluoride-free organic toothpaste in the morning. I got used to the taste and learned not to brush too hard as the soda can be very abrasive.
shellycheval

Back
Top Bottom