Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

dreamrider said:
I have an awareness that it relates to the the chapter Stripped to the Bone and my relationship with my beloved girls (12, 13), whom I have shared care of. I know there is much work for me to to try and understand "The essential thing about the STO Shamanic path is to give only when ASKED. And then, to give ALL that is asked." (page 36 - the Terror of History) and how this whole topic relates to personal relationships etc, but particularly with our children.
Dreamrider, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this. You've touched on something I have been struggling with for quite some time.
It seems the more I practice EE, the more my fears surface. (I have nightmares about being separated from my children. That they are in trouble and I can't get to them.) I feel these dreams can be interpreted literally, that I do fear for their physical safety with the current state of the world, but also I think this runs a little deeper. I am confused to "give only when asked and then to give all that is asked" when the questions are coming from my children. I struggle with "are they truly asking" and "how much do I say" when they ask me things like "is the world going to end in December?" I keep coming back to my own experience as a child being raised strict Catholic and it taking me my whole life to overcome it and find the truth.

A few sessions ago I experienced a very strange thing that I would like to share ...

During the Beatha portion of the EE program I suddenly had the physical sensation, that someone was standing in the room and watching me. My hair was standing on end and waves of discomfort/ fear were flowing through my whole body. I felt threatened - it was a different feeling to when you know someone is there that you don't feel threatened from. I also saw a shadow pass before my closed eyes (I always do the EE program with closed eyes), even though from the lighting condition it was impossible to see a shadow in reality. I didn't want or dare to open my eyes, so I just tried to ignore it and focused on the breathing and listening. This feeling lasted about 5 minutes and slowly went away.

This happened twice on consecutive sessions.

I now feel a bit apprehensive whenever I embark on the EE program, although the last two times this didn't occur anymore.

Has anyone experienced similar stuff - I remember that some posted visions of faces ... but the presence of someone/ something? Feedback much appreciated!

nicklebleu said:
Has anyone experienced similar stuff - I remember that some posted visions of faces ... but the presence of someone/ something? Feedback much appreciated!

I've experienced the feeling of something being present, but not necessarily in my room. And what I did was exactly what you did: ignore it and focuse on the breathing and listening. And I think that's the right way to go about it! :)

And as Laura wrote:

Generally, when certain channels/circuits begin to clear and open, but are not yet tuned, all kinds of stuff gets picked up. It's like turning on a radio receiver or a TV that is "between stations" or receiving interference. You can see faces, hear sounds, experience all kinds of interdimensional stuff. The key is to not get distracted by that stuff. Keep your eyes and focus on the light/knowledge.

If some people have problems breathing through their nose, one reason behind this could be an underdeveloped/ narrow upper jaw (maxilla). As the maxilla is basically the floor of the nasal cavity and airway space, underdevelopment and narrowness in it can cause the airway to be constricted, resulting in impaired nasal breathing.

http://www.westonaprice.org/dentistry/mental-or-dental
Airway Obstruction

The most serious consequence of under development of the maxilla is airway obstruction and mouth breathing. Eighty five percent of the nasal airway is made up of the maxilla, which provides the floor of the nasal cavity and houses all of the nasal sinuses typically referred to as the sinus cavities. Therefore, an individual with a narrow or improperly formed maxilla will have extremely narrow nasal passages, which limit flow of air and breathing capabilities, and will thus experience difficulty in having proper sinus health and drainage.
It is an important fact that the soft tissues develop to their genetic size, even when the bones do not! You might think of the head as a box that must house all of the structures that the genetic code needs to express and that will develop, but lack of proper dimensions to the cranial bones and the cranial cavity causes overcrowding, overlapping or deviation of some soft tissue areas. This can be illustrated by the example of overpacking a suitcase.

Almost invariably a narrow or under-developed maxilla can cause the effect of holding back the lower jaw or the mandible. This improper positioning of the mandible and its inherent retrusion causes a lack of physical and physiological space for the tongue and the pharyngeal tissues, which again will provide an impedance to the airways, causing breathing difficulties and lowered oxygen uptake by all of the tissues.

It appears that one doesn't necessarily have to have ”crooked” teeth for the maxilla to be underdeveloped:

hi-mental-skull3b.jpg

The maxilla viewed from underneath. Note the narrow palate in this illustration.

It seems it has been realised that by using very light forces, the maxilla and the part of the lower jaw (mandible) where the teeth reside, can be developed to their full potential, even in adults. This seems to be due to these bony areas being of the type of bone, which’s form and shape is affected rather by function, and not by genes. Thus they do not lose their ability to be ”shaped” by functional dental appliances even in an adult age:

http://www.tripleolab.com/appliances.html (click "Williams")
There is a great deal of controversy within the profession as to the success or failure of arch development, sometimes mistakenly referred to as arch expansion. It is this author’s opinion that this subject is well addressed in the text by Enlow and Hans entitled “Essentials of Facial Growth” published by Saunders, ISBN 0-7216-6106-8.

The following observations are clearly stated in this text:

1. The body of the maxilla, as well as the dental alveolar base upon the maxilla, is comprised of dermal bone which has developed from the ectoderm. Dermal bone growth is primarily driven by function, not by genes.
2. The body of the mandible is comprised of chondral bone which has developed from the mesoderm. Chondral bone growth is primarily driven by genes, not by function.
3. The dental alveolar base upon the mandible is dermal bone and thus effected by function not by genes.
These concepts form the foundation of functional orthopedic and orthodontic therapy. They also provide the clinician with the insight to diagnose and treat growth related malocclusions.

Some telling pictures from http://www.icnr.com/cs/cs_05.html

Maxilla before treatment:
cs05-3.jpg

After treatment:
cs05-5.jpg

Weston A. Price noticed that the primitive peoples he researched around the globe did not have malocclusions, and concluded that the improper diet, etc. of the modern world must be behind the phenomenon. As the shape of maxilla is formed by function, improper activity of the tongue plays a major part too.

The most important orthodontic appliance that you all have and carry with you twenty-four hours a day is your tongue. People who breathe through their nose also normally have a tongue that postures up into the maxilla. When the tongue sits right up behind the front teeth, it is maintaining the shape of the maxilla every time you swallow. Every time the proper tongue swallow motion takes place it spreads up against maxilla, activating it and contributing to that little cranial motion, that cranial pumping that we discussed earlier. Individuals who breathe through their mouths have a lower tongue posture and the maxilla does not receive the stimulation from the tongue that it should.

A child developes an incorrect function of the tongue due to e.g. allergies (leading to mouth breathing), thumb sucking, etc..
The maxilla and occlusion are then misformed, and the position of the tongue is misplaced: a visciuos cycle of sorts is formed.

Curiously, nursing seems to be done in a vertical position with aboriginal people who live in natural conditions: here the swallowing and function of the tongue work properly. Nursing done in a horizontal position (as is advised to be done currently) on the other hand provokes incorrect swallowing and function of the tongue. Air is also being swallowed along milk, bringing up the need for burping. (I read this some time ago, sorry I am unable to provide a link.)

Interestingly, along with impaired nasal breathing, there are other disadvantages due to insufficiently developed maxilla:

The TMJ and the Lower Jaw

When we look at the skull from the profile view we observe the temporo-mandibular joint, the TMJ. Most joints will go through normal hinge motion, and some of them like the shoulder and hip joint will have a rotational motion that is more complex. However, in these joints, the two bony members stay in contact with one another throughout the motion of the joint. The TMJ is unique in that it is designed to provide both hinging and sliding motion. In order to accomplish this compound hinge-and-sliding movement, the TMJ has a disc that slides in concert with the lower jaw or mandible. When the lower jaw is not positioned forward enough, the TM Joints do not develop very well, and the discs can get jammed behind or in front of the joint. They can even become perforated and cause some of the "clicks and pops" that can be heard when people open and close their mouths. Immediately behind the TM Joints we also have the ear canals and important vascular and neurological structures, which can become impinged upon as well.

A video of normal TM joint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyHGOOhxHGs

A ”clicking” TM joint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjB01-UIDYc

I have understood, that by treating the underdevelopment of the maxilla and dental arches (with the functional orthopedic/ orthodontic therapy mentioned above), joint pain and other related ailments can be improved (along with improved nasal breathing).

It seems that this type of treatment is not in the mainstream yet (from the above quote: ”There is a great deal of controversy within the profession as to the success or failure of arch development,”). However there appear to be a good amount of dentists practising the functional approach worldwide.
More information on the subject:

www.cfoo.com
www.iaortho.org
www.smilepage.com
www.tmjstack.com
www.tripleodentallabs.com/patient_info.htm

Sorry for the length of the post and going off topic as well, perhaps the moderators can revise a separate thread if appropriate :)

In yesterday's session (minus beatha) there were lots of tears and feelings of frustration coming up. I keep coming back to the central theme of self-judgement and self-punishment. From last year in autumn until recently I've again and again slipped with the diet (being back to sugar metabolism), which has been taking its toll apparently. I've been wanting to go into more detail on what exactly 'led' me there, but with the new material on cognitive science, I first want to be up to date and do the recommended writing exercises.

Well, as to the self-judgement theme, there came up something interesting during the meditation: feelings of unworthiness because of having fallen. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy, always going in circles. Some sort of "reply" came back to me when I presented those feelings to DCM: there was non-judgement and showing me that all I need to do is clean my vessel. This elicited yet another emotional release.
So it's becoming more and more clear that this is the 'suffering' I really need to give up, otherwise I'll keep going in circles.

Enaid said:
In yesterday's session (minus beatha) there were lots of tears and feelings of frustration coming up. I keep coming back to the central theme of self-judgement and self-punishment. From last year in autumn until recently I've again and again slipped with the diet (being back to sugar metabolism), which has been taking its toll apparently. I've been wanting to go into more detail on what exactly 'led' me there, but with the new material on cognitive science, I first want to be up to date and do the recommended writing exercises.

Well, as to the self-judgement theme, there came up something interesting during the meditation: feelings of unworthiness because of having fallen. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy, always going in circles. Some sort of "reply" came back to me when I presented those feelings to DCM: there was non-judgement and showing me that all I need to do is clean my vessel. This elicited yet another emotional release.
So it's becoming more and more clear that this is the 'suffering' I really need to give up, otherwise I'll keep going in circles.
Yes, those feeling of unworthiness and feeling that we are inherently "bad" can be quite overwhelming. It sounds like you're processing some of those emotions. Definitely do the writing exercises and let us know how it goes when you're ready. Also know that there will be slips as we are human, but as we continue trying to do our best and not be too hard on ourselves, we make progress. Little by little. :flowers:

Enaid said:

Have you done a candida cleanse? Maybe your fight with sugar is also a fight with candida? That would be 2:1 odds in their favor. Sort of fighting a war on two fronts. If you have gotten rid of any candida you might have had, just disregard this post. :)

Also, remember, it's not that we fall down, it's getting back up and continuing on that counts.

Enaid, truth seeker and Nienna Eluch gave you valuable feedback. I agree and wanted to add that there's a recent thread "Willpower" http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26772.0.html that might be helpful to read if you haven't already. There's some interesting clues there.

Be gentle on yourself and pick yourself up and keep moving forward. If you fall off the wagon again, do the same. :)

Thanks for your encouragements! :flowers:

truth seeker said:
Yes, those feeling of unworthiness and feeling that we are inherently "bad" can be quite overwhelming. It sounds like you're processing some of those emotions. Definitely do the writing exercises and let us know how it goes when you're ready. Also know that there will be slips as we are human, but as we continue trying to do our best and not be too hard on ourselves, we make progress. Little by little. :flowers:

Yes, this whole issue of 'being human' is one that keeps coming back for me to face - naturally. ;) Apart from the growing feeling of being fed up about the constant repetition of these themes, it sure is interesting how this very repetition seems to slowly be chiseling off inner resistance: seeing again and again how every (usual/old) approach ends up at the same wall really has or can have the effect dribbling through of realizing that, in fact, there is one major theme, and unless one pushes against and through this wall, one keeps being in the hamster wheel. Especially as of late, I've been having the visceral feeling of actually being in a prison = the programs of my personality. It literally feels like being trapped/confined and feeling this for the first time makes the entire endeavour more urgent to resolve.

So yes, I'll let you know about my experiment with the writing exercises. :)

Nienna Eluch said:
Have you done a candida cleanse? Maybe your fight with sugar is also a fight with candida? That would be 2:1 odds in their favor. Sort of fighting a war on two fronts.

I haven't really done a candida cleanse, as in following certain protocols or using specific natural medicine to remedy it, except for starving it and taking garlic and turmeric. One thing that's clear is that my whole system seems to be affected by candida - whenever I eat garlic I have intense detox reactions and a swollen face and feeling really bad - this certainly explains all my food sensitivities, as a leaky gut is very probable. Well, I just figured that starving the candida and going on the high fat/low carb diet would be enough. I'm not yet through with reading all of the Life Without Bread thread, and there's still stuff I need to get up to speed on regarding the science behind all of it, so there's certainly lots of data that's missing in my knowledge of it; but I'm working on it.

SeekinTruth said:
Enaid, truth seeker and Nienna Eluch gave you valuable feedback. I agree and wanted to add that there's a recent thread "Willpower" http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26772.0.html that might be helpful to read if you haven't already. There's some interesting clues there.

Yes, agreed. I've started reading it already, and have found it to be really timely as to this issue of mine.

SeekinTruth said:
Be gentle on yourself and pick yourself up and keep moving forward. If you fall off the wagon again, do the same. :)

:)

Hi, I lay down in bed and watched the EE dvd a few nights ago - first time I have done EE in about 2 months - and although I felt my technique was lacking, I found it so very beneficial. The pipe breathing was fine, but I actually started crying even doing the warriors breath and although I could have turned it off then, I wanted to try the beatha, and sobbed almost all the way through. I so needed to let go though, and after the POTS quickly fell into a good deep sleep. Woke up feeling lighter, stronger and alot more focused.

Am trying to become more self disciplined, but am being kind to myself and taking it slowly. I am so grateful for the encouragment and support from this forum.

Chrissy, I too was raised a catholic, and my greatest fears relate to my children, just as you stated in your reply. I keep having a nagging fear deep down, that I may have to one day ask them to choose live with me in another country (where I am trying to develop a simple, self sufficient, spiritual lifestyle) or stay here in England (where it is becoming more like Orwells 1984 every passing day!) with their Mum. At the moment, I am trying my best to just do self work and pray and be as honest as I can with them, without scaring unduly. All is lessons.

I wonder is there a thread on the forum that discusses the Work and children? So glad to hear your reply Chrissy.

Enaid said:
I haven't really done a candida cleanse, as in following certain protocols or using specific natural medicine to remedy it, except for starving it and taking garlic and turmeric. One thing that's clear is that my whole system seems to be affected by candida - whenever I eat garlic I have intense detox reactions and a swollen face and feeling really bad - this certainly explains all my food sensitivities, as a leaky gut is very probable. Well, I just figured that starving the candida and going on the high fat/low carb diet would be enough. I'm not yet through with reading all of the Life Without Bread thread, and there's still stuff I need to get up to speed on regarding the science behind all of it, so there's certainly lots of data that's missing in my knowledge of it; but I'm working on it.

I don't know if it is available for you, or if it would work for you, but what I found really helped me was oregano oil and olive leaf extract. I used one product one month and the other product the next month. You can find more ways to fight candida
here
which was posted by Psyche.

Enaid said:
truth seeker said:

Yes, this whole issue of 'being human' is one that keeps coming back for me to face - naturally. ;) Apart from the growing feeling of being fed up about the constant repetition of these themes, it sure is interesting how this very repetition seems to slowly be chiseling off inner resistance: seeing again and again how every (usual/old) approach ends up at the same wall really has or can have the effect dribbling through of realizing that, in fact, there is one major theme, and unless one pushes against and through this wall, one keeps being in the hamster wheel. Especially as of late, I've been having the visceral feeling of actually being in a prison = the programs of my personality. It literally feels like being trapped/confined and feeling this for the first time makes the entire endeavour more urgent to resolve.

So yes, I'll let you know about my experiment with the writing exercises. :)

I think that the recent suggested books will help a lot. Although they may confirm that we are at the mercy of our programs, which can be depressing, what I've read so far (Strangers to Ourselves) also speaks about how to counter them through small daily efforts, or discipline, and it is possible and doable to change ourselves. But as NE says, we need to know there will be slips, because we are human, and we all have them. Benjamin Franklin knew it too, but he kept getting back on the saddle with his method, which foresaw the slips.

In my experience, one danger of 'slipping' is spiraling down like this: I did something I don't approve of -> I disappoint myself -> Perhaps I'm not as good as I thought -> In fact I am a terrible person pretending to be good -> Maybe I should at least be honest and not try to be good anymore -> I'll disappoint myself again as there is no point in trying... and so on.

The book (STO) mentions an experiment in which people are made to watch a comedy but are given a substance that will make them feel more excited (like adrenaline). So they watch the movie and they laugh a lot, although they actually don't think it's that funny. So it seems that the adaptive unconscious makes them laugh because it misinterprets the adrenaline as 'it must be funny'. A control group (without substance) didn't get that. In another experiment, some men were approached by a girl on a park, while others were approached by the same girl on a hanging bridge. Again, the unconscious of those on the bridge misinterpreted the excitement of being on a bridge with liking the girl more than the others.

The point is that the adaptive unconscious will make its own conclusions about who we are and what we like, which is why I think if we make a mistake we spiral into depression and make more mistakes. Of course the way of correcting that is by little efforts that will give us confidence that we are not terrible people after all, which will build our strength to keep on doing the right thing and provide the unconscious with a self-theory about how we can be good indeed.

In short, if you fall, don't be too harsh on yourself and get back on track. Rest assured that we have all been there many times (I have), and no doubt will be there again.

dreamrider said:
I wonder is there a thread on the forum that discusses the Work and children? So glad to hear your reply Chrissy.

There is one topic, but I'm afraid you cannot access it right now, cause you need 50 posts for it. So keep on networking! :) And have you done already a search on the forum too?

Windmill knight said:
In short, if you fall, don't be too harsh on yourself and get back on track. Rest assured that we have all been there many times (I have), and no doubt will be there again.

And with that:

Batman Begins said:
Alfred: Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.
;)

Gawan said:
Windmill knight said:

And with that:

Batman Begins said:
Alfred: Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.
;)
Windmill Knight, you may like to read 'Self Compassion' by Kristian Neff, (which I'm currently reading) which provides beneficial ways of coping with experiences such as you mentioned in a way that enables learning and being gentle on yourself at the same time. A review of the book was made on SotT back in May 2011.

Back
Top Bottom