Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

Thank you, Menrva, I will look into the thread. It would make sense to make humour out of it and laugh because I am having those thoughts now and it seems so ridiculous! They are lurking as I write this, and there is deep fear in the pit of my stomach! I will do pipe breathing before I go for the interview. Thanks, I hope the job is a good fit, too!

herondancer said:
EFT may help as an aide 'in the moment' but I wouldn't combine it with EE, just as it was recommended not to combine EE with reiki. Remember too that emotions provide material for learning about yourself; where your blocks are. If you can, you don't want to make them go away, but strengthen yourself to the point where you can experience the emotion, but still be in control of your actions.
What thread talks about combining EE with reiki and why it is not recommended? Is it because it might be too much at once?

I think the main reason is, cause EE is a specified program where everything works together and there is no need modifying it, since it works perfectly the way it is. Regarding reiki it could be, that some reiki lineages are corrupted and could do more harm than good.

I have been doing the EE program on and off for a week and for the last 3 or 4 days, I have been getting these horrible nightmares. They usually consist of my being relentlessly chased and then being brutally attacked, to the point that they want me dead! I won't get into any more gory details but I am wondering if maybe these dreams are the result of my doing the program and maybe some dark things are coming up? Judging from these dreams, I have a feeling SRT would benefit me greatly!

Rose7 said:
I have been doing the EE program on and off for a week and for the last 3 or 4 days, I have been getting these horrible nightmares. They usually consist of my being relentlessly chased and then being brutally attacked, to the point that they want me dead! I won't get into any more gory details but I am wondering if maybe these dreams are the result of my doing the program and maybe some dark things are coming up? Judging from these dreams, I have a feeling SRT would benefit me greatly!

Hi Rose,
What you are having seem like Dark Man Dreams. There is quite a bit of info in the Dark Man Dreams (EE FAQ). Clarissa Pinkola Estes discusses them in her book, Women Who Run With The Wolves. There is some information and excerpts about that linked above. You can also do a search on the forum for 'dark man dream' and read more about them.

I'd also stop the Ba-ha portion of EE until this settles.

The beginning of the EE guide starts here. It covers just about everything you can experience when practicing EE regularly.

I hope it passes quickly! :)

Thank you Menrva. I will stop the Ba-ha portion for now and I will look into both of the links. I have run down the guide before, but I will look through more carefully. :)

As a youth I studied martial arts. Part of the training was a breathing technique called Chi Gong.

Since learning that breathing technique, I have been using it consistently in my everyday life.

I am at the point now that I cannot breathe from my chest without making a concerted effort to do so. From what I have experienced using EE is that it garners all of the same effects as Chi Gong and it follows a lot of the same principles.

I know that most Reiki practitioners use Chi Gong and I have been experiencing a lot of personal resistance to switching to the EE techniques.

I have read through the guide published by Bo and I can honestly say that I have experienced most if not all of the "symptoms" at one point of my life or another.

What I am wondering is the EE program a requisite or is it alright to continue using the technique that has served me well all these years?

Mikha'el said:
What I am wondering is the EE program a requisite or is it alright to continue using the technique that has served me well all these years?

That's up to you. EE is a powerful combination of different breathing techniques combined with a meditation with seed, and thus helps on various levels, be it 'mere' stress reduction and detoxification, be it emotional healing and cleansing, as well as the possiblity to help in the Work. So it probably comes down to your aim, and also, as I see it, what could possibly speak against making use of a program that's working from numerous angles and that's clearly been helping and benefiting so many people (one track record being this thread itself)?

I'm not well versed in the Chi Gong and other breathing techniques, but I remember reading a couple of times that the regular/commonly known, handed-down breathing techniques are incomplete, just as with the various systems of martial arts.

It is interesting that you have a resistance to switching to EE - it might be coming from a year-long habit and need not be a reason to not give EE a try for the sake of experiment, testing, comparing to the benefits you've been having via the Chi Gong technique, fwiw.

Aiming said:
Mikha'el said:

That's up to you. EE is a powerful combination of different breathing techniques combined with a meditation with seed, and thus helps on various levels, be it 'mere' stress reduction and detoxification, be it emotional healing and cleansing, as well as the possiblity to help in the Work. So it probably comes down to your aim, and also, as I see it, what could possibly speak against making use of a program that's working from numerous angles and that's clearly been helping and benefiting so many people (one track record being this thread itself)?

I'm not well versed in the Chi Gong and other breathing techniques, but I remember reading a couple of times that the regular/commonly known, handed-down breathing techniques are incomplete, just as with the various systems of martial arts.

It is interesting that you have a resistance to switching to EE - it might be coming from a year-long habit and need not be a reason to not give EE a try for the sake of experiment, testing, comparing to the benefits you've been having via the Chi Gong technique, fwiw.

Yes, I understand that a lot of the old teachings have been corrupted and are incomplete and that was what initially drove me to attempt EE. I have attempted it but I have to admit that I did not stick with it very long.

I agree that my resistance is based in habit. I have been practicing Chi Gong for over 25 years and old habits do die hard.

I like the idea of making it more of a comparative effort rather than a strict lifestyle change. For some reason that makes it easier to swallow.

Thank you for your response, Aiming.

Rose7 said:

The latest C session has a lot to say about SRT, if you're interested. https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35757.0.html :)

herondancer said:
Prometeo said:
I have a question, though i've been doing this for quite some time, I haven't found a definite answer.

POTS is supposed to calm, and pipe to energize. So, I stopped doing POTS for the opposite effect to this. Every time I do POTS before sleeping I loose all my tiredness, I even feel I need to stand up and do something. It is intellectual coffee so to say.

Actually, pipe breath is for calming. It stimulates the vagus nerve which is about relaxing the body, by countering the fight-or-flight mode it is usually in due to modern society's stresses. If the POTS is so energizing, rather than stop doing it, schedule it for a different time of day. Pipe breath is good to do before sleeping, as it promotes deeper rest and rejuvenation.
Could it be because I do it with the headphones, and the electrical stuff in them kinda stimulates my brain?

I wrote he prayer on a paper, to try to meditate it while reading it, with the synch breathing. Does it still work that way?

You may be that sensitive to electrical fields, and headphones may be the problem. You've hit on an interesting solution. Working off a written page should be fine, but remember that part of the effect comes from the vibrations of Laura's voice. So doing the recorded POTS at a time of day when you need to be awake and alert is important. Let us know how it goes.

Oh I didn't know about Laura's vibrations. I'm going to try doing it just by reading it, and schedule it for a better time of the day. Thanks hero.

Aiming said:
Mikha'el said:

I was reading this website only this morning about various manifestations of resistance. Perhaps someone may find it interesting:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/breathing.php

"The surprising challenges of deep breathing

For something so simple, bioenergetic breathing proves to be a surprising challenge for nearly everyone. Most struggle, experiencing fear, frustration or apathy. Obviously, the challenge isn’t technical — it’s just heavy breathing. So what is it that gives people such trouble?

The challenge is emotional. Shallow breathing is the norm in our society. In fact, it is typical of most aging biological organisms. Shallow breath constitutes a comfort zone that we are reluctant to leave. Breathing hard stirs up interesting and alarming sensations, and we humans have an enormous repertoire of tactics for controlling and limiting the experience so that it is a little less boat-rocking.

Some common avoidance behaviours that I’ve observed over the years include chain yawning, squirming, blowing and hissing, wheezing, dry throat, aches and pains that magically pop out of nowhere, an attack of silliness, giggles or ticklishness, and so on. As they attempt to proceed, most people will experience anxiety, frustration or (most problematic) a suspiciously intense apathy. As a coach, “the fade” is the most difficult of all avoidance tactics to navigate, and it happens to be my own favourite reaction to breathing: when the going gets tough, I get sleepy and tune out.

Shallow breath constitutes a comfort zone that we are reluctant to leave.
Getting past these defenses is so surprisingly difficult that most people need coaching. As a breathing coach, I can spot all your tricks, keep you breathing clearly, and encourage you to actually experience all of the new sensations – instead of developing a sudden, intense interest in something else.

Parasthesia, tetany and tremors, oh my! Transient physiological consequences of deep breathing

The challenge is complicated by the fact that bioenergetic breathing tends to cause three harmless but potentially alarming side-effects: parasthesia, tetany, and tremors.

Sounds dramatic, doesn’t it? Well, it is kind of exciting. This is powerful stuff. But these experiences really are harmless, and they tend to go away with practice. I myself went through them and came out the other side many years ago.

Parasthesia simply means “altered sensation,” usually in the form of tingling that starts around the mouth, at the fingertips and in the toes. As it advances and spreads, it is usually accompanied by tetany — sustained but mild contraction of muscles. The hands and feet tend to “claw up,” and your lips will feel like you’ve just been to the dentist! This is different than spasm, and it is more stiff than painful. It wears off quickly. Finally, tremors may sweep through the body erratically, perhaps favouring a specific limb or side, but this too passes rapidly — and should actually be indulged when it occurs. Let yourself shake. Be free!

These symptoms are produced by an altered mind-body state, both physiological and psychological. The tetany is a consequence of some changes in blood chemistry. The tingling is the sensation of qi — when your hands are tingling fiercely with qi, it feels like you are holding balls of fire. It’s a very distinctive sensation, and a privilege to experience. I often explain to people that martial arts and yoga practitioners may study for their entire lives without knowing the sensation of qi, simply because they don’t breathe enough.

The tendency to tremor is a “letting go.” We are all hanging on tightly to so very much, including our own bodies. The breathing shakes us loose. I advise you not to try to stop it.

I must emphasize again that all of these side-effects are temporary. Bioenergetic breathing is not the same as hyperventilation.3 It is not dangerous in any way. Any sensation you experience during breathing will go away as you slow down and stop.

Soul diving!

You might become emotional during bioenergetic breathing.

Most people feel like crying. Feeling sad and frustrated are the most common reactions to breathing. But many also feel like they want to hit something (hint: try a pillow!), and virtually any other kind of emotional experience is possible for different people, or for the same person in different sessions.

Sadness and anger are the two great unexpressed emotions in our society. Most of us have deep wells of them. Bioenergetic breathing can be a handy way to deliberately induce cathartic crying jags. Indeed, some people notice that they cry every time they breathe like this, prompting the question, “What else is there? When will I be done crying?”

The answer is, “When you’re done.” If you’ve been holding back sadness for thirty years, expect it to take a while. But trust me: there is something beyond all the crying. And that is what this work is all about. It’s soul diving."

lainey,

I think this author talks about a slightly different version of "bioenegetic breathing" - namely the type that involves marked hyperventilation. This stands in contrast to the bioenergetic breathing the EE program uses, which is a much milder form. Hyperventilation causing paraesthesias and tetanus are not part of it and should be avoided.

Having said that, you will still get emotional release, just in a more controlled fashion.

nicklebleu said:
lainey,

I think this author talks about a slightly different version of "bioenegetic breathing" - namely the type that involves marked hyperventilation. This stands in contrast to the bioenergetic breathing the EE program uses, which is a much milder form. Hyperventilation causing paraesthesias and tetanus are not part of it and should be avoided.

Having said that, you will still get emotional release, just in a more controlled fashion.

Exactly. And what I've noticed with myself is that breathing hard and fast in the bioenergetic breathing is what causes a lot of these symptoms. If you listen to Laura at the beginning of the bioenergetic breathing phase, she says to breathe gently during this - even the fastest part. A lot of people breathe very forcibly and that, I think, is what causes the paralysis-type feeling in the hands.

Once I started breathing gently, I didn't have this problem anymore.

Gentle and relaxed is what we are striving for in the EE breathing program. (Okay, except for the Warrior's Breath.) :)

Wow, im so glad this was just posted! I came back to the boards because I totally experienced the extreme tingling of the body and clenched feelings. My goodness, I guess I didnt fully realize how gently to do the BA HA breathing. For my first full session this was pretty extreme but I made it through and felt good about that. Im about to start session 2, and will try to breath as gently as possible. Sometimes it seems difficult to get a full belly breath through the faster parts. Will continue to experiment. Didn't have any crazy emotional releases. .. But have found throughout the week that I remember to breath more...especially in frustrating situations...like with my adorable but sometimes rather ornery 3 yr old! :)

Back
Top Bottom