Weather over the last 12 months....

PepperFritz

The Cosmic Force
I live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. Over the last 20 years or so our winters gradually became more and more mild and warm; and our summers became insanely hot and humid. However, over the last year that trend has suddenly turned around: last winter featured cold, snowfalls, and storms the like of which a lot of us hadn't seen since we were kids, and our current summer temperatures are very uncharacteristically cool.

I'm interested in knowing if the weather in other locations has been equally anomalous over the past 12 months....

It has been pretty much the same way in Wisconsin. The last winter seemed as if it would never end. I actually had to turn on my heater recently in the beginning of July, I've never had to do that in the past 4 years I've lived here.

I too noticed that the winters gradually got warmer up until about '02 and then it about leveled off until this past year when temperatures really took a dip. It does seem like the trend is cooler.

Rainfall has been very sporadic this year. In the beginning of the spring drought. Late spring/early summer monsoon. Now, drought again. The fields and gardens look horrible - this is what really worries me. :(

Ryan

Same here Pepperfritz, gradually milder Winters over the last 20 years or so, and cooler Summers. I remember when I was little, everything was 'iced up' in the morning, and if you opened the hose, pieces of ice came flying out. Haven't seen that for quite some time, until this Winter.

And another thing is rain this Winter. Here in Gauteng we don't have Winter rains, and this Winter we have had typical Summer thunderstorms with a fair bit of rain! Very strange.

Also here in the eastern part of Germany (Saxony) I can't feel any summer.
We had summer temperatures in the spring time for couple of weeks and then it turned out rather cold, much rain, much humid weather.
It looks like a trend that the summers are getting more wet, with less hot temperatures.

Also this years winter turned out rather cold and long than the last ones with mild temperatures.

PF, if you're anywhere near thunder bay i'm right across the big lake from you, and we've had almost the exact same weather you described, fwiw. we had winter storms into april, and may and june were downright cold with a few spurts of heat here and there. even the first week of july was jacket-and-hat weather. when the weather comes up in conversation with other locals (it does a lot), most people groan and say we're moving from spring directly to fall this year.

Two years ago we had a day in November where it was 72 degrees, which is outright weird. The past two winters were mild up to February, then we'd get severe cold snaps into the below zero ranges.

This summer has been much much cooler than the two previous. Even last year we had weeks in the 90's and heat indexes in the 100's. This summer we've not had more than a week or so of 90 degree days, and lots more torrential rain.

I live in the Tri-state area of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

Wet and cold, today we got 15 degree Celsius and the average is 26 for July. this is the second summer here in Quebec that we got below average temperature, so far in July we got only 2 days where the normal was barely touch and precipitation should eclipse old record.

There haven't been as many frosts as I once remember in our winter. The weather went strange a few years back with some mild summers and warmer winters. Rain was a big issue in Australia, we missed some of the big summer storms.

Around here, I don't have to water my lawn but a couple of years back it died back due to a lack of rain and the water restrictions.

This year its seems back to normal.

Yes, wierd weather all around. I'm in Ohio and our winter was awful. Either extremely cold and/or extremely snowy. And unless I'm imagining things it seemed longer as well. The summer so far is cool. We've mostly just been in the 70's. Rains a lot too. My lack of air conditioning has not been been a problem unlike the last couple years. I still sleep under a thick blanket and sheet most nights.

It's been very cool here in Philadelphia (upper 70's- mid 80's F), and not oppressively humid like it often gets. Last summer I lived in a place that had direct afternoon sunlight coming in unobstructed from the east and south, it was really hot in there! I was worried about this summer in my place which is similar, but faces south and west, and it feels downright cool during most of the day.

Winter was pretty cold but it's hard for me to tell, I'm always cold.

I'm heading up to the Calgary area in a few days to see what passes for summer up there. Lately the temperature has been dropping to 7 or 8 C. Sounds like fall to me! :D

I'm interested in knowing if the weather in other locations has been equally anomalous over the past 12 months....

Here in Eastern Europe , its running anomalous for past few years - lets say 10
It all started pretty much the same - mild winters , humid and hot summers.
For last 2 years , winters are still not that harsh as before , but its more frosty outside.
This years summer is ultra-humid , and that causes a lot of rain which in turn causes floods which are not so common usually
Looking from time perspective , this years winter will be probably very cold and frosty.

Northern Michigan has had an almost "normal" year of weather. Of course we haven't had a normal year since about 1980, so I am not sure what normal is anymore.

cold winter with bunch of snow, only rained twice, actually had about five foot of snow in the yard. This summer we have broken 90 degrees only twice, it has been day after day of mid 70's with a breeze.

This is the first year since I was a child we did not need air-conditioners. Though everyone keeps turning it on out of habit anyways, myself included. :halo:

Apparently the summer in Singapore is supposed to be miserably hot (or the same approximate temperature it always is but with no wind and rain to cool things off) but it seems to me that it is cooler now than it was when I arrived at Christmas which is the rainy season. Of course the locals go on and on about how horribly hot it is even when almost every day is overcast and windy because they're conditioned to. Here is a seriously robotic society-the worst I've seen- with a "big brother" that rivals China so if you never see another post from me, it's because i've been captured and brainwashed into believing that it really is the hottest summer ever......

Laurentien said:
Wet and cold, today we got 15 degree Celsius and the average is 26 for July. this is the second summer here in Quebec that we got below average temperature, so far in July we got only 2 days where the normal was barely touch and precipitation should eclipse old record.

Well in July so far we have 14 days out of 17 where it was raining.

In fact, it is raining so often that the shoes store have decided to sell a new kind of shoes.

Here's a picture:

Attachments

• chaussures d.été au québec.jpg
    chaussures d.été au québec.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom