Weather over the last 12 months....

Yesterday I experienced weirdest weather so far in my area ...
That was kinda scary because it was super hot and sunny for past 2 weeks ... until yesterday.
They predicted that there will be a mild rain but what happened in fact was totally different.
Moreover , several kilometers away (to my knowledge around 8-10 km) nothing really happened.
So it started with dark clouds as usual , later on I started to see light brown cloud like formation just above a horizon. I thought it was sun rays.
It started to expand when I realized it will go through center of a village that I live , in fact , almost through the center of my house :scared:
That brown thing was , to by biggest surprise , sandstorm !! The wind on a front of this storm was so strong that it picked dust and sand high in atmosphere , thats why I thought it was sun rays when looking at it closing.
Right after that it started to rain , but that was not normal rain :/ , that was first time when i saw when it rains horizontally :scared:. Acctualy when everything finished I went behind my house and found out that grass was DRY there. In other parts it was soaking wet with holes after raindrops.
After 10-15 minutes all settled down.
I have seen a lot of violent storms in my life , but that was MOST unusual one that i have seen ... ever , plus it went right through a place where i live ...

It's been a rather cool and windy May and June in Wales thus far and quite damp and chilly at night as well. There hasn't been a great deal of rain however, just showers and overcast conditions, although of far greater note is the fact that unseasonal snow has recently fallen on Snowdon (the highest mountain in England and Wales).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer snow falls on summit of Snowdon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-13731216

This happened a few days ago, but some crazy weather out East (USA) in my family's neck of the woods. They had a storm which in one part of the town they have decided was not a tornado (they said it was a storm with "straight line winds"- apparently this is high speed winds in a storm but without a rotational center like a tornado). They NEVER have tornadoes where they live in NJ. In general, it's been another hot and humid summer there, with many more thunderstorms than usual (my mom said they had two today, and this has been happening more and more frequently). Geographically they live at about 400' above sea level, maybe a half hour from the ocean, but in a heavily forested area.

Have a look at the site to see some pictures of the damage. Not as bad as some other areas of the US lately, but still quite shocking to me.

_http://manchester-nj.patch.com/articles/township-storm-cleanup-mostly-complete-villages-may-take-a-week#photo-6715518

Meanwhile here in Los Angeles I've been told this has been an unusually mild summer. It's my first summer here so I don't know any better but it does seem pretty cool. Of course we have other issues from the planet to worry about....

This month has just felt weird weather wise. We have been in serious drought here in Colorado so the fire's have been quite numerous though not unexpected. Around 4 days ago we entered into out monsoon pattern. The first day we received about .75 inches of rain. The next couple of days we have been having rain everyday. I'm glad that we are but the storms seem to be a lot more intense like today's storm was. I was watching the local news Doppler today and it showed a pretty intense storm heading northeast from the southwest. On the Doppler scale that my local news channel uses the heaviest intense storms show up as grey and white, white being the most intense. Today's storm was in the grey area. Usually my town has had pretty good luck with avoiding severe thunderstorms though it seems that they have really kicked up in recent years. Today's storm brought decent amount of rain and two land spout tornado's one of which damaged a house a bit south of here. Just seems like the storms are more supercharged lately than the last few years. Yesterday it was raining while the sun was out, that was a beautiful moment.

Well, we had about three days in a row last week that were pretty hot and it stayed very warm through the night, then weather rolled in and it started cooling down... this morning it is 12C which is about 54F. Quite cool! Also, I wore a light sweater all day yesterday and will do the same today, no doubt. NOT your usual August weather!

June, and July here were very cloudy, foggy, and damp mouth's. It must have rained at least 20 day's of the 30 in June....it feels more like Seattle, Washington. When the sun does come out, it was very hot, and i mean with the temperature's moving in such extremes from one day being in the 50's F ( 10 C ) and 2 day's later, it moves to mid 80's, or low 90's F (31C-33.5C ). Just totally out of wack of what it should be.

Local's here just kind of shake there head with no real concept of what is going on. They have not seen this condition from what i gather, as it has in a small way seemed to have had effect on there growing season for crop production for home consumption, with shorter going times.

It's cloudy once again today with fog in the am and evenings, adding to the moister here that has been steady, making it feel more like fall, than summer.

Sunday though it was sunny, it was kind of muggy, like New York hot damp.

I don't think here has been 1 straight week of sun here for some time, unlike the 2 year's before, since arriving. :/

Summer came very late this year. June was cloudy and rainy. And the sun does not seem to be as hot as it used to be in the past. While looking at the turkish meteorological center's weekly forcasts I found a link as follows:

http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/wcp/wcasp/enso_update_latest.html

WMO El Niño/La Niña Update (World Meteorological Organization)

23 May 2011
Download pdf versions: English Français Español

Current Situation and Outlook

La Niña conditions continued across most of the tropical Pacific into early May 2011. After peaking in strength around January 2011, the oceanic components of the episode weakened considerably, with a warming of the equatorial Pacific Ocean during March and April, approaching neutral conditions by mid-May. Despite this warming, the atmospheric indicators remained at near record La Niña levels during April, weakening only in early May, suggesting that some La Niña impacts may continue into June. This time of the year is known to be particularly marked by low forecast skill, but neutral conditions are considered the most likely scenario for at least the season ahead. Development of El Niño or re-development of La Niña is not considered likely for the middle part of the year. Further developments during May and June are expected to enable a clearer outlook for the second half of the year.

The 2010/11 La Niña episode began in mid-July 2010, and has still not completely dissipated as of mid-May 2011. Sea surface temperatures in the central equatorial Pacific were about 1.5 degrees Celsius colder than average over the period September 2010 to early March 2011, indicating a moderately strong La Niña event. However, the atmospheric aspects of the event have shown this episode to be one of the strongest of the last century. Typically during La Niña events, cool sea surface temperatures extended across the eastern Equatorial Pacific to the South American coastline. This time, from about February to the present, sea surface temperatures close to the South American coastline became near to above average, ending the La Niña climate effects in the surrounding region. However, the large area of cool surface waters over the bulk of the central and eastern equatorial Pacific, combined with warm conditions in the equatorial western Pacific, represented a strong La Niña forcing on the global atmosphere, with many climate patterns approximately matching those typically associated with La Niña events during these months, both in the vicinity of, and remote from, the tropical Pacific. The atmospheric aspects of this La Niña, such as enhanced trade winds in the western and central part of the Pacific basin and the Southern Oscillation Index, were near record levels from September 2010 through the end of April 2011, and have only very recently begun weakening substantially. In association with these atmospheric conditions, disastrously wet conditions were experienced in parts of northern and eastern Australia, Indonesia, Southeast Asia, and portions of northern South America (e.g., Colombia) in late 2010 and/or early 2011.

Between February and April 2011 a gradual weakening of the oceanic aspects of the La Niña event occurred. The areal extent of cool surface water contracted with waters below 1 degree Celsius of the long-term average confined mainly to the central equatorial Pacific. During April and early May the event has appeared to be in a holding pattern, with SSTs remaining slightly cooler than one-half degree below average in the central Pacific. The consensus from prediction models and expert interpretation is that near-neutral conditions are the most likely pattern for mid-year or shortly thereafter. However, climate conditions over the next 1 to 2 months may continue to be La Nina-like for some regions, because the atmospheric aspects of the event may decay more slowly than the cool tropical Pacific waters, particularly for this La Niña in which the atmospheric indicators have maintained considerably greater strength than the oceanic ones. Therefore, users should consult detailed seasonal forecasts for regions of interest with this possible lagging of the climate effects in mind.

The March-June period is historically favoured for dissipation of existing El Niño and La Niña events, or development of new El Niño and La Niña events. Rapid development of a new event now appears unlikely through to the middle part of 2011. Events can also develop during the second half of the year, and forecasters are assessing the likelihood of such developments during the second half of 2011. The pattern of above average sea temperatures below the surface in the tropical Pacific suggests a possibility for El Niño development. However, the lingering atmospheric signature of the existing La Niña could, through atmosphere-ocean coupling processes, counter the effects of the subsurface oceanic conditions, and even lead to a return to La Niña conditions later in the year. Both of these scenarios need to be carefully monitored over the coming months before a more concrete risk assessment will become possible. Overall, forecast models indicate a range of possible outcomes for the second half of 2011, generally favouring near-neutral conditions, but not ruling out the presence of either El Niño or La Niña, suggesting the ocean-atmosphere system is free to evolve in any of several directions at this time of the year. In such a situation, the most likely outcome for the second half of 2011 is viewed to be near-neutral, but with close monitoring required for any more definite signs of future developments.

It is important to recognize that other factors influence seasonal climatic patterns in addition to El Niño and La Niña. There is need for detailed regional evaluations of prevailing conditions, combining expected El Niño/La Niña influences with influences from other geographic regions, to arrive at the best estimates of the weather patterns to expect regionally and locally over the coming months. Locally applicable information should therefore be consulted in detailed regional/national seasonal climate outlooks, such as those produced by Regional Climate Outlook Forums (RCOFs) and National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs).

In summary:

A La Niña event of moderately strong intensity continued through the first quarter of 2011 in the oceans, and very strong intensity in the atmosphere.

The La Niña event has been weakening in the oceans since about February, but is only now in the process of ending in mid-May. The atmospheric aspects of the event remained very strong through the end of April, and only now are finally weakening.

Near-neutral conditions are considered the most likely outcome for mid-year 2011.

In considering expected climate over coming months, it is important to recognize that atmospheric patterns typical of La Niña may in some regions continue for a couple of months after the decay of the cool waters in the tropical Pacific. Detailed seasonal forecasts should be consulted with these possible residual climate effects in mind.

Looking ahead beyond mid-year 2011, there are currently no clear indications for enhanced risk of El Niño or La Niña in the second half of 2011. The ocean-atmosphere system is quite sensitive and flexible at this time of year. Monitoring for another 1 to 2 months is required to more firmly establish the direction of evolution of the system. Accordingly, near-neutral conditions are currently considered the most likely outcome for the second half of 2011.

The situation in the tropical Pacific will continue to be carefully monitored. More detailed interpretations of regional climate fluctuations will be generated routinely by the climate forecasting community over the coming months and will be made available through National Meteorological and Hydrological Services. For web links of the National Meteorological Services, please visit:

http://www.wmo.int/pages/members/members_en.html

Here in Switzerland, weather forecasts are completely inaccurate as of late, almost as if the forecasters aren't able to determine upcoming weather do to new unknown factors or to known weather indicators acting different than usual.

There's been an absolute deluge of rainfall here in the UK over the last 24 hours. Over 200 hundred rivers are on flood alerts or warnings with even more heavy rain due overnight which will no doubt result in further flooding. I took a couple of snaps this morning of a local river here in south Wales (although the river itself can't be see just an extensive lake), I suspect scenes like these are widespread across the UK at the moment.

P1000202_zps765536fa.jpg

P1000203_zpsa7eeb3d2.jpg

That is startling. Swollen rivers indeed.

Here is a video of the rain fall bands across the UK for December:

Rainfall radar showing heavy rain across the UK

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JcmOsF48vI

An update on weather to date this winter in the Rockies, Purcell, Monashees, Selkirk's, and other parts of the BC mountains (snow storehouse) has fluctuated to slightly above and below normal. In the Rockies and Purcell's, at least in the valley bottoms, the coldest day this winter was -19c and there were just a few of those days. Generally it has ranged from -10c to above 0c. Relatively dry air has been the norm here since December.

As of Feb 15th, 2013, the data from the 'Ministry of Environment Automated Snow Pillow', which logs storage data the equates later to the summer run-off values, states:

_http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/bulletins/snowpillow.htm

Weather conditions over the past few weeks have consisted of drier spells of high pressure ridging, and weak frontal systems. This has brought limited change in the % of average or normal readings at most snow pillows. Basin-average SWE values range from a low of 63% of normal in the Nechako, to a high of 106% on Vancouver Island. The current province-wide average snow-pillow SWE is 87% of normal.

Typically 73% of the annual peak snow accumulation occurs by this period of time.

So typically, March and even April can see leaps in snowpack at elevations.

From this site there is the detailed regional station (pillow) snow water equivalent summery for the year.

Nov - Feb 22nd. _http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/bulletins/ASP_Summary_2012-13.pdf

When the season started (Nov) there was mid winter snow values (up to 200% and >) and was considering that it was going to be intense: anticipation. What seems to have been the case here is the arctic weather fronts moved over or around influencing southern and eastern parts of the US/Canada. After watching events in Europe earlier, when those conditions improved (as seen in the past), it seems we generally get hit with cold and moisture as the balance shifts - did not happen in the west this year so far, yet the east, especially (Canada/US) has been affected. The southern US states in the southern Plains have been hit with some strange conditions, as have the desert areas.

So what was being anticipated here was the opposite in terms of temperature and a little lower mountain snow values, which was almost negligible in some of the habitable valley's; perhaps this season is just the calm before the storm.

Fwiw, here in Germany or many parts is winter again and still cold (minus degrees in the night) and may get cold in double digits again next week according to some forecasts. So Germany had already the darkest winter since recordings started, the heaviest snowfall for first day of spring for some northern parts. Beside reports are coming in if it gets not sooner warmer farmers could get into trouble, cause they cannot plant crops (some potatoes, spring barely and peas) and it should have been done already, yesterday to be specific.

hello! The weather is really weird. I think that it will be agriculturally very bad year.
It is too hot or too cold within the same week. It might come to vegetables shortages later this year,
so the food will be expensive, or will be more GMO food available, or old and rotten but sprayed with some chemicals
to look eatable- there was recently big affair in my country concerning Afla toxic cattle food.
In continental part people still haven't started planting, an here at the sea it's too hot.
Today at 7 a.m. was over 30 C !!!

Martina said:
hello! The weather is really weird. I think that it will be agriculturally very bad year.
It is too hot or too cold within the same week. It might come to vegetables shortages later this year,
so the food will be expensive, or will be more GMO food available, or old and rotten but sprayed with some chemicals
to look eatable- there was recently big affair in my country concerning Afla toxic cattle food.
In continental part people still haven't started planting, an here at the sea it's too hot.
Today at 7 a.m. was over 30 C !!!

Martina, what country do you live in?

Back
Top Bottom