Eating out / restaurants

3DStudent

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi everyone, I've recently been attending some birthday parties. My family always goes out to a restaurant to eat on their birthdays. I've thought about not going to these, but I figured it's more externally considerate to go. I've been detoxing through this, but if you're on any of the diets mentioned in this board, it's difficult to eat out.

I think I've done well so far. One time I had a salmon salad. Then I was a little doubtful when we went to a steak house because I'm type A so red meat isn't recommended. I ended up getting roasted chicken and some veggies. Yesterday we went to a Mexican restaurant which again made me a little nervous because it's gluten and dairy galore. So I just ordered some black beans and refried breans, and I brought my own brown rice. I would kind of feel awkward bringing a whole meal of food with me, but my family all knows that I eat differently. I also didn't notice any mental or physical difficulties after eating the food at restaurants like I've heard about in other posts where members have tried something with gluten, sugar, etc.

So I guess there's still the option of bringing a meal if you are able to view the menu before going. I haven't heard many people talk about eating healthily at restaurants, so what are y'all's experiences with this? Do you just not go, or bring your own food?

I've pretty much been avoiding eating out. It does cut down a bit on the amount of socializing one does cause eating out is a big social activity amongst people. I guess if you order sensibly and eat right during other times you can't do much damage to yourself. I hadn't thought of bringing my own food to a restuarant though. That's something to consider.

I was never big on eating out myself either, only if I was with someone would I go. So the only times I choose to go now are when it's a family thing where I feel I should be there.

Well, let me elaborate a little bit, since I have worked in the restaraunt industry my whole working life, i feel i can provide some sound advice.

Typically, your server at the restaraunt (assuming you have one) will have knowledge of the menu. However, when I was waiting tables I was not very conscious about certain ingredients, and

whether they contained further ingredients which could cause allergic reactions and so forth. But, armed with the diet knowledge contained on the forum you may or may not find it difficult to get

something healthy to eat when you're eating out. If your server is not sure about ingredients that you are trying to avoid, it is probably best to talk to a general manager or a kitchen manager

or even the owner, as they may have more extensive knowledge. See if you can get something like a plate of vegetables, or whatever your thing is. But I suppose that if you can't be 100%

sure about what you are eating, you may be better off bringing something to eat or eating beforehand maybe. Just my take on it, bro. :) I personally prefer eating at home. :D

Be advised that restaurants still use MSG, so it's best to clearly request it not be used in preparing your order.

The lie that it's a flavor enhancer is still being bought even though the truth of this neurotoxin has been around for quite some time.

This is an interesting topic. One I've pondered over at times too.

Unless all your friends or family are on the same page as you (diet-wise), I think it's pretty difficult to avoid restaurant food altogether. Internally, I cringe every time I'm with people and I can see the group moving in the direction of wanting to go out to eat. Most of the people who know me know that I'm a "health food nut" :rolleyes:, so they know that even though I'll go along to a restaurant, I'm probably not going to enjoy it.

I think that unless you are in severe pain or suffering from debilitating chronic illness, you should avoid what you can at restaurants and enjoy the company of friends and family. Probably the big things to avoid are going to be the sugars, artificial ingredients and any major allergies one may have. I usually get through fine if I can manage to avoid dairy and sugar. If one only eats at restaurants during limited social situations and is generally healthy, there probably won't be a problem. On the other hand, if one is really suffering from health problems, it might be best to avoid eating all restaurant food altogether until there has been some significant improvement in one's situation, OSIT. Everybody is going to be a bit different in this regard.

Let me also say that my diet while at home is by no means perfect (still haven't kicked the gluten habit completely :(), but it has improved greatly over the last few years from what it used to be. Everything I eat at home is made from scratch ingredients and usually organic ingredients. I've eliminated dairy and only eat gluten in fermented forms, which does lessen the allergic reaction somewhat from the research I've done.

I never thought about bringing my own food to a restaurant, but I think it makes sense. Assuming they don't prohibit it, I think it makes a good display that their junk food is not welcomed. It might make other people in the restaurant think twice about the junk they mindlessly consume.

Another tip I remember reading is for a drink at a restaurant, order water with a slice of lemon to squeeze into the water. I forget where I read it, but supposedly some constituent of the lemon juice helps to counteract the effects of chlorine in the tap water somewhat.

RyanX said:
I never thought about bringing my own food to a restaurant, but I think it makes sense. Assuming they don't prohibit it, I think it makes a good display that their junk food is not welcomed. It might make other people in the restaurant think twice about the junk they mindlessly consume.

Another tip I remember reading is for a drink at a restaurant, order water with a slice of lemon to squeeze into the water. I forget where I read it, but supposedly some constituent of the lemon juice helps to counteract the effects of chlorine in the tap water somewhat.

I would say that most of the restaurants will prohibit it since they are staying in this kind of business in selling that kind of food.

But, I do bring my water when i have to go to the restaurant.

Bohort said:
I would say that most of the restaurants will prohibit it since they are staying in this kind of business in selling that kind of food.

That was my first thought too when reading this. I would think most restaurants would want you to buy food from them or else find another place to eat. Then again, he did say that he was eating with a larger group of people, which might make a difference. With a group of people the restaurant will at least make some money on the table, so they might be inclined to make an exception in this case, I think.

Hi to all,

I normally avoid all sugar, dairy gluten etc. and I have no craving for any of it, but I don't have a kitchen to cook anything and I generally rely on what others cook in the restaurants. In my current situation, I checked every restaurant around me, and found certain places where I can eat and I always eat at those places.

On the other hand, when my friends and I go out once or twice a month or so, and as I refuse to eat certain things, it becomes impossible for us to eat at somewhere. What I normally do is, I go with them to those restaurants, and I try to find the least harmful food I can eat. I seem to tolerate gluten to a certain extent, so I prefer it.

Also sometimes somebody invites me to dinner, and I go with the flow and eat what they prepared unless it contains dairy. I know the topic is restaurants, but have you ever been invited to somewhere and brought your own food there? :)

That was the only option I could think of when there is no other place to eat. I know it isn't healthy, but sometimes I don't think I am capable of sustaining the diet you guys are doing in my current situation. :(

As for going to restaurants, best option seems preparing your meal, eat it and then join your friends if you can, osit.

Just my two cents, fwiw.

RyanX said:
Bohort said:
That was my first thought too when reading this. I would think most restaurants would want you to buy food from them or else find another place to eat. Then again, he did say that he was eating with a larger group of people, which might make a difference. With a group of people the restaurant will at least make some money on the table, so they might be inclined to make an exception in this case, I think.

Although I sympathize with your dilemma (most of us here are probably in the same boat), I think that bringing your own food to a restaurant may actually be kind of inconsiderate. It is a difficult situation since you are not there specifically for the food, but for your family, but from the point of view of the restaurant staff this would probably seem pretty rude -- it may embarrass some of your family members too, if they don't understand why this issue is so important to you.

Biomiast said:
On the other hand, when my friends and I go out once or twice a month or so, and as I refuse to eat certain things, it becomes impossible for us to eat at somewhere. What I normally do is, I go with them to those restaurants, and I try to find the least harmful food I can eat. I seem to tolerate gluten to a certain extent, so I prefer it.

Also sometimes somebody invites me to dinner, and I go with the flow and eat what they prepared unless it contains dairy. I know the topic is restaurants, but have you ever been invited to somewhere and brought your own food there? :)

That was the only option I could think of when there is no other place to eat. I know it isn't healthy, but sometimes I don't think I am capable of sustaining the diet you guys are doing in my current situation. :(

As for going to restaurants, best option seems preparing your meal, eat it and then join your friends if you can, osit.

I think something along these lines is the best solution. Since it is the holiday season, and nearly impossible to avoid foods on the 'bad list' for approximately a month, I have decided ahead of time that I will do my best to eat right six days of every week, leaving the seventh open for some of the bad stuff -- that's about the frequency with which I will find myself in a social situation involving food where my options are limited.

I also like Biomiast's suggestion of eating something before you leave. That way you don't go to the meal completely hungry, and can feel better ordering something from the menu (like salad maybe) that is as optimal as possible and not have to settle for some of the less-acceptable stuff as well.

RyanX said:

Do be careful with lemon slices at restaurants though, as several articles suggest that they can be a risk of E. Coli due to employees not properly washing their hands before cutting them up.

_http://www.fox5vegas.com/health/16338312/detail.html
_http://www.wisebread.com/ill-take-a-slice-of-lemon-with-fecal-bacteria-please

Akkk! :scared:

I avoid restaurants, but when it becomes necessary for some reason, I eat as lightly as I can and mostly veggies with salmon if available and maybe a small sparse salad.

Also, it may sound dumb from the point of view of someone with loads of dietary knowledge, but I also 'say from the heart' the Prayer of the Soul, asking for detox as my 'daily bread' in exchange for whatever I'm offering to others.

Dawn said:
RyanX said:

Do be careful with lemon slices at restaurants though, as several articles suggest that they can be a risk of E. Coli due to employees not properly washing their hands before cutting them up.

_http://www.fox5vegas.com/health/16338312/detail.html
_http://www.wisebread.com/ill-take-a-slice-of-lemon-with-fecal-bacteria-please

Akkk! :scared:

Eeekk... point noted. I think I'll just bring my own water from now on! :cool:

Another interesting thing about restaurants.

I've found over time, you can get a good measure of another's character by how they treat waiters.

[quote author=Johnno]
I've found over time, you can get a good measure of another's character by how they treat waiters.
[/quote]

Oh yes, it's something I also always observe (but I was maybe a waitress myself for far too long!). A friend of mines dad always used to say "you value a man by the way he treats someone who can provide him with absolutely nothing".

Back
Top Bottom