Miracle noodles / Shirataki noodles

JEEP

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I was looking at info regarding buckwheat and soba noodles that are made from buckwheat but also contain wheat. The page I was checking out had the following link:

Zero Carb Noodles
The Noodle The Stars Eat To Stay Thin. Featured on ABC News.
www.MiracleNoodle.com

The info on this site says: Shirataki Konjac has been known and used in Asia for over two thousand years. It is known as Moyu or Juruo in China, and Konnyaku
or Shirataki in Japan.

* made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.
* contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan.
* wheat & gluten free and kosher.
* Easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce.
* are instant and come in a variety of styles
* have shown beneficial effects backed by medical studies for Type II Diabetes, Constipation, Obesity, and Cholesterol!

They appear to be available in a variety of pasta shapes and types, and preparation is quick and easy: "Miracle Noodles are instantly ready. Just drain the pack and rinse in a strainer or colander for a couple of minutes. Lightly boil for 1 min. It can be added to cooking dishes to absorb the flavor all the while retaining its consistency." Supposed to be good in any regular pasta recipe.

Well, they sound too good to be true. Is anyone on the forum familiar with these noodles? I used the search function and nothing came up for Shirataki, Konjac, or Glucomannan. A google search of Glucomannan showed it being available as a supplement with side effects and warnings, including being banned in some countries, noted at this site: http://www.dietspotlight.com/glucomannan-review/

There does seem to be some evidence that Glucomannan can result in a small amount of weight loss. However it seems that this supplement would need to be taken on a permanent basis if the effect is to be long-lasting, and this could have negative effects on the user’s digestive system. What gives rise to concern, however, are the known side effects of this product and it is only natural that the fact that this product has already been banned in Australia makes us wary of recommending this product as part of your weight loss programme. A number of warnings have been given by the FDA, regarding safety issues with Glucomannan.We would like to see proper controlled and standardized trials with this product over a very long time period, which assess the long term effects of taking Glucomannan and any risks involved. Until we see these tests, we need to be wary of using Glucomannan on its own and also as an ingredient in other supplements.

Don't know if the noodles have similar issues. Although the warning and banning seem ominous, I can't help but think of laetrile, also made illegal by FDA - BECAUSE IT CAN HELP CURE CANCER! Maybe that's why FDA doesn't like Glucomannan - it's actually TOO beneficial! After all, can't have people losing weight and controlling diabetes and high/bad cholesterol! :evil:

From: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-205-GLUCOMANNAN.aspx?activeIngredientId=205&activeIngredientName=GLUCOMANNAN&source=2
Glucomannan is a sugar made from the root of the konjac plant (Amorphophallus konjac). Glucommanan powder, capsules, and tablets are used as medicine.

Glucomannan is used for constipation, weight loss in adults and children, type 2 diabetes, blood sugar control, and lowering cholesterol.

In foods, glucomannan is used as a thickener or gelling agent. Glucommanan flour and powder are used in food.

How does it work?

Glucomannan might work in the stomach and intestines by absorbing water to form a bulky fiber which treats constipation. It may also slow the absorption of sugar and cholesterol from the gut, helping to control sugar levels in diabetes, and reducing cholesterol levels.

Glucomannan powder or flour in enriched foods such as Japanese noodles is LIKELY SAFE. Glucomannan powder and capsules are POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults and children. But solid tablets containing glucomannan are POSSIBLY UNSAFE. These can sometimes cause blockages of the throat or intestines.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of glucomannan during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Diabetes: Glucomannan may interfere with blood sugar control. Monitor blood sugar closely if you have diabetes and use glucomannan.

Surgery: Glicomannan might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using glucomannan at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

OK, likely safe as noodles. And, used in Asia for over 2000 years. Sounds like they are worth trying. Again, anyone familiar with these noodles?

I've seen and looked at these noodles before. The Konjac brand seems to be the most popular. I didn't, however, actually buy them. So I can't give input on their taste or anything. Some people say that they smell a little fishy though. To me they seemed to be a healthy alternative to gluten pastas. There's also brown rice pasta and pastas made out of bean flour, fwiw.

Well, they sound too good to be true. Is anyone on the forum familiar with these noodles?

I have only tried the Tofu Shirataki noodles. Haven't seen any others by them.

They're actually quite good. The noodles are already soft, so they heat up very quickly. I like to throw them in a pan with some coconut oil & garlic, cracked black pepper. Sometimes I add curry powder, sometimes parmesian cheese. They really don't have a flavor. They will just take on the flavor of whatever you add to it. Very satisfying. I immagine the noodles you are talking about would be very similar.

I don't know who else carry's it, but I pick it up at Whole Foods Market. If you are in the US, Canada or UK, and you have a WFM near you... if they do not carry it, they might be able to special order it for you. (sometimes special orders are only available in cases, and you can get a case discount and they don't charge you shipping either.)

Well, they sound too good to be true. Is anyone on the forum familiar with these noodles? I used the search function and nothing came up for Shirataki, Konjac, or Glucomannan.

I haven't found any Shirataki noodles, but we do have Udon noodles in our local grocery store in the ethnic sections. They are small packages of white gel like noodles. They are the closest to what you're talking about.

I've not had any bad reactions to Udon noodles. I think we still have buckwheat noodles up in the cupboard yet. I like to have those with a huge stir fry of veggies...using the noodles like a condiment instead of a base.

For pricing different types of Shirataki and other non traditional noodles, this looks like a good site: http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/category/shirataki-noodles?gclid=CJetyODExZ8CFRRN5QodwWLQzw

anart said:
Lauranimal said:
Well, they sound too good to be true. Is anyone on the forum familiar with these noodles?

I have only tried the Tofu Shirataki noodles. Haven't seen any others by them.

You aren't eating SOY are you??

Every once in a while. For the most part, I don't make it a major part of my diet. I eat the noodles maybe once every 4-6 weeks and sometimes I add organic edemame to my salads. I know there are lots of excellent reasons not to eat soy, so I understand your concern. Thanks

Edit: Right after I wrote this I noticed you poked me on FB. LOL! I took it as a poke for eating soy.

Thanks everyone for the input. After reading the Sott article, The Critical Role of Wheat in Human Disease, it certainly became even clearer why wheat is detrimental to good health. The part about lectin was new to me. I thought only the gluten was the problem.

What is lectin's potential to disrupt your health, exactly? Here is a sampling of its dangers, which you can read about more in-depth here:

* Pro-Inflammatory: WGA lectin stimulates the synthesis of pro-inflammatory chemical messangers, even at very small concentrations.

* Immunotoxic: WGA lectin may bind to and activate white blood cells.

* Neurotoxic: WGA lectin can pass through your blood-brain barrier and may attach to the protective coating on your nerves known as the myelin sheath. It is also capable of inhibiting nerve growth factor, which is important for the growth, maintenance, and survival of certain target neurons.

* Cytotoxic (Toxic to cells): WGA lectin may induce programmed cell death.

Further, research shows WGA lectin may even:

* Interfere with gene expression

* Disrupt endocrine function

* Adversely affect gastrointestinal function

* Share similarities with certain viruses

WGA lectin is capable of passing through cell membranes of your intestines, gaining entry into your body. Further, if your mucosal barrier is compromised, for instance from taking certain drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen or due to a viral or bacterial infection, lectin may become even more problematic.

Keep in mind that lectin is not only in wheat. All seeds of the grass family (rice, wheat, spelt, rye, etc.) have high levels of lectin.

The last sentence was especially troubling - rice is also on the bad list?! It seems the choices for healthy foods just keep shrinking and shrinking. It did re-kickstart my search for alternatives. Alas, both udon and soba noodles contain wheat and tofu noodles are definitely out.

Gimpy said:
For pricing different types of Shirataki and other non traditional noodles, this looks like a good site: http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/category/shirataki-noodles?gclid=CJetyODExZ8CFRRN5QodwWLQzw

Lauranimal said:
I don't know who else carry's it, but I pick it up at Whole Foods Market. If you are in the US, Canada or UK, and you have a WFM near you... if they do not carry it, they might be able to special order it for you. (sometimes special orders are only available in cases, and you can get a case discount and they don't charge you shipping either.)

Thanks for this info Gimpy and Lauranimal. There is a Whole Foods Market on the west side of Columbus that I have as yet ventured into. These noodles sound like they may be a viable alternative to pasta or rice so I think I'll make a trip to check it out. The fact that these noodles are also good for potential or actual diabetics is a plus as well. Being the sugar addict that I am, my pancreas is probably quickly approaching its expiration date. My mother and brother are already diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I'm hoping if I fill up with lots of pasta substituting noodles, I can more easily kick the sugar habit! We'll see. :/

Hi Jeep, on the subject of lectins, there is more information in the following thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15396.msg129000#msg129000

Hi Jeep,

I'm assuming that you're in NY. There's also a Whole Foods on 14th st/union square and I believe one somewhere around 26th st on the west side if you're closer. There may also be one further down in tribeca...

Thanks Psyche for the link regarding lectins. I'm definitely interested in learning more about them. I'm also wondering if quinoa has these lectins. Hopefully, your link will provide that answer.

Hi Truth Seeker! Actually, I live in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. But that was very thoughtful of you to provide directions. Perhaps someone else on the forum is a NY resident and can benefit from this information. Tomorrow's weather (Friday) isn't going to be too bad (no additional snow), but only a high of 22 degrees; its 11 degrees F right now. It was sunny today so most of the roads are completely clear. So I think I'll make the trip to the Whole Foods and see what I've been missing. I hope I don't have sticker shock!

OK, looked at the links provided by Psyche and quinoa wasn't one of the foods listed. Googled quinoa lectin and 1st result:

Results 1 - 10 of about 17,800 for quinoa lectin. (0.31 seconds)
Search Results

Results include your SearchWiki notes for quinoa lectin. Share these notes
Copy and paste this link into an email or IM:

See a preview of the shared page
THE LECTIN STORY
The most common potentially 'toxic' lectin containing food groups are. bullet, grains, especially wheat and wheat germ but also quinoa, rice, buckwheat, ...
www.krispin.com/lectin.html - Cached - Similar -

Well, there's my short answer, but this website looks most interesting. From the page:

While research in lectinology is in its infancy this information is critical to your health and it is important to begin to understand lectins NOW. Read the following report carefully. I'll get specific about how this all applies to you. ALL foods contain lectins. Some are your friends, others neutral, and others may be your enemies. Know your lectins. Avoid your enemies.

Lectins in plain English, do lectins cause disease?

What makes someone lectin intolerant?

What do lectins have to do with me?

How can I tell if I am lectin intolerant?

So, more reading to do, but it would appear to be important to learn about. And, after all, learning can be fun! :P

Edit: Just started reading info on first page and it appears peanuts, dairy, and nightshade plants are among the troublesome foods in regards to lectins:

High levels of lectins (specialized proteins) may be found in grains (also known as cereals or pulses), legumes (that is 'beans' including peanuts), dairy and plants in the nightshade family. Many other foods contain lectins but are less well studied and the amounts of lectins present are not thought to be as high or as potentially toxic.

That might explain why so many people have problems with these particular foods.

Think of a lectin as a protein containing a key that fits a certain type of lock. This lock is a specific type of carbohydrate. All life forms, plant and animal, insect and fungus have cell membranes that contain carbohydrates that sit within and project from the membrane. If a lectin with the right key comes in contact with one of these 'locks' on the gut wall or artery or gland or organ it 'opens the lock', that is disrupts the membrane and damages the cell and may initiate a cascade of immune and autoimmune events leading to cell death.

Lectins can be inactivated by specific carbohydrates (technically known as mono and oligosaccarides) which can bind the 'key' and prevent the protein from attaching to the carbohydrate 'lock' within the cell membrane. Glucosamine is specific for wheat lectin and it is this specificity that may protect the gut and cartilage from cell inflammation and destruction in wheat (or gluten) responsive arthritis.

While various foods and supplements may inactivate some of these toxic lectins it is impossible for such substances to protect the body from them completely. The safest path is avoidance of known toxic lectins. Common foods with known toxic lectins include all soy and wheat products including oils from these substances.

This makes it very clear why lectins are harmful and why soy is as bad as wheat.

More from THE LECTIN REPORT:

I have always promoted adequate protein in all of my dietary programs with moderate 'good' fats and moderate complex carbohydrates and plenty of fruits and vegetables. For some clients consistently eating enough protein was and is difficult. They (and the culture in which we currently reside) tend to diminish protein's important contribution to health, both mental and physical. When protein intake is maximized clients have found this moderate, easy to follow, program has aided them in restoring function of body and mind.

For some of my most difficult clients this simple basic program just hasn't given them the level of health and well being they so very much desire. Some of these most difficult clients have reported improvement in health using high protein, low carbohydrate diets. Some of the very best results came when switching to the so-called Paleolithic Diet. These programs included The Zone by Sears (the least effective of the bunch and the highest in lectins); D'Adamo's Blood Type Diet (the second highest in lectins and also not as effective); Eades Protein Power ; Atkins Diet Revolution ; The Specific Carbohydrate Diet from Breaking the Vicious Cycle by E Gottschall; and Neanderthin by Audette; and the Crook Candida Diet. The commonality is higher protein (and often natural unprocessed fats) and a reduction in carbohydrates, especially carbohydrates high in lectins.

Research shows a connecting link between these diets and the improvement in health being reported. Some of the symptoms and conditions that have been reported to respond include

* arthritis, both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis;
* allergy;
* asthma;
* high cholesterol;
* atherosclerosis;
* congestive heart failure;
* high blood pressure;
* diabetes;
* low blood sugar;
* hyperinsulinemia;
* chronic fatigue;
* fibromyalgia;
* all forms of IBS, Crohn's, colitis, celiac;
* chronic candida, repeated gut pathogen infections;
* malabsorption syndromes;
* failure to thrive;
* autoimmune diseases such as thyroiditis, lupus, MS, Parkinson's;
* dementia, Alzheimer's;
* autism;
* ADD/ADHD;
* Schizophrenia;
* osteoporosis;
* cancer, several types including breast;
* hypercortisolemia and hypocortisolemia;
* adrenal insufficiency;
* post viral syndrome;
* post traumatic stress syndrome;
* post polio syndrome;
* obesity;
* hormonal imbalances including low testosterone, low DHEA, PMS, and peri-menopausal symptoms and PCOS.

Higher protein has been shown clinically to improve many of these conditions but not all and it is not a wide enough connecting link.

In the 1970s research on lectins, lectinology, began increasing worldwide. For a more scientific overview see the end of this report.

What jumps out to me when reading the above information is how often and how long I've heard the refrain to eat less protein - meat the size of a pack of cards is all that should be eaten daily! More anti-health propaganda from the medical PTB! And look at that list of symptoms and conditions - all possibly due to low protein/high lectin intake! Well, at least now we have a clue.

More from THE LECTIN REPORT:

Lectins are found in ALL foods, certain foods more than others, and the same food may contain varying amounts of lectins depending on processing, when and where the plant was grown, and species.

The most common potentially 'toxic' lectin containing food groups are
grains, especially wheat and wheat germ but also quinoa, rice, buckwheat, oats, rye, barley, millet and corn.
legumes (all dried beans, including soy and peanuts),
dairy (perhaps more so when cows are feed grains instead of grass, a speculation based on research showing transference of lectins into breast milk and dairy and potentially more harmful in pasteurized, processed milk because of the reduction of SIgA, an immunoglobulin that binds dangerous lectins , Biol Neonate 1991;59(3):121-5 Davin JC et al The high lectin-binding capacity of human secretory IgA protects nonspecifically mucosae against environmental antigens.), NOTE: Only breast milk is good for babies.
nightshade (includes potato, tomato, eggplant and pepper).

Each of these groups has a history of being implicated as allergenic.
Also note that we are including all foods made from these substances, (these substances in all forms, milled grains, flours, oils, vinegars), peanut butter, cereal or legume oils (soy, canola, corn), additives, thickeners, grain vinegar and products containing grain vinegar, grain alcohol including grain based vodka, and all beers and ales. The only non-grain based alcohols are 100% Agave tequila and 100% potato vodka. Grape based alcoholic beverages are probably allowed if you know you tolerate them.

There has been some information that lectins may be inactivated by soaking, sprouting, cooking or fermenting.
Soaking legumes over night, draining the water, rinsing and draining again does seem to remove or inactivate many of the lectins. Heating seems to remove others in some foods but not all. There is little data to prove that any of these methods remove lectins completely as few foods have been tested and of those that have lectins many seem to remain after processing.

[...] Nachbar and Oppenheim (1980) found 30% of fresh and PROCESSED foods contained active lectins. Lectins from green salads, fruits, spices, seeds, dry cereals and nuts (even after roasting) showed activity of potentially toxic lectins. Some of these lectins interact with serum or salivary components and bacteria from the oral cavity (Gibbons & Dankers, 1981).

[...] From Plant Lectins A Pusztai 1991 Table 6.9 page 179

Common features of toxic (non-nutritive) effects in lectin-gut interactions.

1. High degree of resistance to gut proteolysis.
2. Binding to brush border cells; damage to microvillus membrane; shedding of cells; reduction in the absorptive capacity of the small intestine.
3. Increased endocytosis; induction of hyperplastic growth of the small intestine; increased turnover of epithelial cells.
4. Interference with the immune system; hypersensitivity reactions.
5. Interference with the microbial ecology of the gut; selective overgrowth.
6. Direct and indirect effects (hormones, etc.) on systemic metabolism.

Especially note #5. The popular Candida Diet is essentially a high protein, low carbohydrate diet which limits starches and sugars and thereby limits lectins. If lectins are a problem for this person (the so-called 'candida' patient) lectin ingestion may be associated with overgrowth of various gut pathogens that may include yeasts and removal of lectins would restore the gut ecology and the gut immune system. If this is true, the diet does not get rid of yeast but relieves the person from symptoms and pathogenic consequences caused by ingestion of lectins to which he or she is intolerant..

Lectins are hardy proteins that do not break down easily. They are resistant to stomach acid and digestive enzymes.
Lectins may bind to the gut wall and damage the gut lining, are not altered by digestive enzymes, and may alter gut permeability and pass through the gut into general circulation.
Lectins can cause alterations in gut function that may be related to colitis, Crohn's Disease, Celiac-Sprue, IBS and gut permeability.
Lectin damage to the gut wall may allow other non-lectin proteins to cross undigested into general circulation and cause allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis.
Having gained access to general circulation various lectins may bind to surface cell membranes in arteries and vessels, organs and glands, including the thyroid, pancreas, kidney and adrenals, in susceptible animals and humans.
This binding may begin antigen antibody reactions leading to autoimmune disorders and so-called degenerative diseases.
Different lectins have been implicated in different diseases. Dairy lectins have been implicated in juvenile onset type I diabetes. Wheat lectins have been implicated in juvenile nephropathy.
Type or types of lectin and one's susceptibility (genetic susceptibility) cannot be determined by blood type. D'Adamo tested lectins with blood cells. Lectin intolerance reactions occur in the gut, general circulation (artery walls and the like), brain, gland or organ as well as red blood cells. Sensitivity of one type of cell does not necessarily determine whether another type cell will or will not react.
SIgA, and other immune factors may, if sufficient in quantity, help protect against some exposure to toxic lectins. See abstract at end of report.
GM (genetically modified foods) are modified by splicing 'lectins' from one plant family to another. This is extremely problematic. If you know you react to a particular plant family but that lectin has been put in a plant not of that family you may consume the 'toxic to you' lectin, have the reaction/response and not know the cause.

YIKES!!! GM (genetically modified foods) are modified by splicing 'lectins' from one plant family to another. I think we all can comprehend the implications of that statement! :O

FYI regarding this material, please note the following from the top of the website's page:

Please do not copy or give this paper to others. This paper is protected by copyright laws. Use the information for your own benefit and share this link with friends.

JEEP said:
So I think I'll make the trip to the Whole Foods and see what I've been missing. I hope I don't have sticker shock!

You might. I have a friend who jokingly refers to Whole Foods as Whole Paycheck. :lol: A smallish packet of buckwheat noodles costs about 6 bucks.

Hi Odyssey! $6 for small package of buckwheat noodles?! Well, that's what I was afraid of. The sad truth, if you want to eat healthy, you better have lots of $'s! Of course, I rationalize that I would rather pay the big bucks for healthy food than on doctors, hospitals, and medications! Feels a lot better, too! I did decide to postpone my trip to Whole Foods as we're currently having a high of 17 degrees F! I was getting brain freeze from effect of cold on my metal framed glasses just from a very short walk for my dog. I did purchase a coat that's good to -45 degrees for this winter and I am so glad I did! Doesn't help with the glasses though!

3D Student said:
Some people say that they smell a little fishy though.

From: http://www.miraclenoodle.com/dry-roast-shirataki.html

Dry Roasting Shirataki to Eliminate Wetness and Aroma

We have received several emails about the best way to dry the noodles completely and hence
eliminate any unwanted odor completely.

In Japan this is done by dry-roasting the noodles. This process also ensures that the noodles will absorb
the flavor of what you will be adding!

1. Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat
2. Add the shirataki noodles and dry roast for
around 1 minute
3. When they are dry, you often hear a squeaking noise
as you move them
4. Drizzle a little oil or not, or add the stock or sauce you
are going to use with whatever recipes

That is it! We learned it ages ago from what we call our encyclopedia here at Miracle Noodle. If you haven't gotten a copy of Washoku : Recipes From The Japanese Home Kitchen get your copy today from Amazon.

In further articles, I will discuss the use of salt rubbing and blanching the noodles for other benefits. All of these methods are covered in detail in Washoku.

Warm Regards,

The MiracleNoodle Team

P.S. If you haven't yet seen, we are now selling black shirataki which is the unrefined flour of the konnyaku imu tuber and has a small amount of a sea vegetable added that allows the noodles to hold sauce a little better than the white. It has the same nutritional values, zero calories! We are thrilled to be able to offer it to you! For more information

These miracle noodles are sold in Canada and US: http://www.miraclenoodle.com/store-locations.html. There's a somewhat close location to where I live that's in Delaware, which is adjacent to Columbus. Or order from the website.

From their website:

A portion of all profits gladly donated to the Diabetes Research Institute.

Free Ultimate Fitness Secrets eBook (155 pages) that normally sells for $27.97 is yours free with any purchase. You will be directed to download after purchase.

ABC News and Men's Health Magazine Have Reviewed Our Noodles -
See The Reviews Here!

10 - 7oz. Packages* (my comment - each package is 2.3 servings; noodles cannot be frozen; changes texture)
$27.49 $21.99 plus $10.89 S&H (The first price listed is supposed to have a line through it)

20 - 7oz. Packages*
$42.99 $34.99 plus $10.89 S&H
Order Now!
OUR MOST POPULAR NOODLE PURCHASE!!

30 - 7oz. Packages*
$59.99 $49.99 plus $19.78 S&H
Order Now!

*In order to expedite delivery, we may substitute with 14 oz. packs.
*Due to water weight we use flat rate shipping USPS

Shelf Life - 4 months refrigerated. 2 month pantry (elsewhere on the site it says unused portions can be stored for 2 - 3 days in refrigerator in water, changing the water daily; also indicated 1 year shelf life for all but the black and the angel hair, being 4 months for those, so there's a contradiction within the site)

Their cost would seem to be a little more than half of the cost of the $6 buckwheat noodles from Whole Foods. Plus, I can get a free eBook as well as a charitable donation! Also, it would seem that these noodles are NOT a high lectin food, whereas buckwheat and quinoa now seem questionable. Gosh, it just gets more and more complicated! :(

Back
Top Bottom