Observation

Buddy

The Living Force
I just figured this is the best place to put this post.

I was walking through the local WalMart yesterday when I noticed, in the grocery section, boxes of cake mix proudly advertising "Gluten Free".

Also, in the automotive section I noticed a new product - one of those 'to-go' coffee cups, advertising itself as "BPA Free" ( on food contact surfaces).

As a society, is our knowledge of toxins finally having an influence in the market place, or has this kind of stuff been out for awhile and I just didn't notice?

You may have not noticed. Healthier foods and products have slowly been easing their way into big chain stores. I think that it can't be discounted that organics and what-not are somewhat hip and trendy now and that's why big stores are carrying them. I also think that knowledge about healthier ways of living are spreading, as you said.

It's unfortunate that gluten free doesn't always mean good for you too. There's still plenty of other ingredients in gluten free foods that should not be consumed.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I had always noticed general, trendy fads, like when the Adkins diet became popular nationally, and products came out advertising "low-carb" and what-not. Maybe I was just unusually impressed with references to Gluten and BPA for some reason.

Odyssey said:
It's unfortunate that gluten free doesn't always mean good for you too. There's still plenty of other ingredients in gluten free foods that should not be consumed.

That is so true. I can't count the number of "organic" products on the shelves these days that contain the worst additives you can imagine. On a visit to my parents place I found some "organic" stock cubes (bullion) in their cupboards that have a write up on the back of the package about how they use no artificial ingredients etc., etc. But 3 of the ingredients are code words for MSG (yeast extract, spices and natural flavour).
Food processing companies know what sells. If they put things in a green box and use words that elude to "health" and "nature" the customer perceives it as healthy even if it's completely nutrientless. Organic junk food is still junk food.

Bud said:
I just figured this is the best place to put this post.

I was walking through the local WalMart yesterday when I noticed, in the grocery section, boxes of cake mix proudly advertising "Gluten Free".

Also, in the automotive section I noticed a new product - one of those 'to-go' coffee cups, advertising itself as "BPA Free" ( on food contact surfaces).

As a society, is our knowledge of toxins finally having an influence in the market place, or has this kind of stuff been out for awhile and I just didn't notice?

I think it is having an effect on the market place. I see more and more "organic" foods and other foods that seem healthier which I guess is a good start. These foods are still usually low quality but some higher quality foods are creeping into Walmart.

Have you seen Food Inc.? At the end they show some representatives from Walmart visiting an organic farm (I think part of Stonyfield Organics) looking to purchase some products to sell at Walmart. The representatives were not necessarily interested in improving the environment or promoting health but they say that they stock what the customers buy and the organic food movement has been increasing rapidly. A big message at the end of the movie is that we can make a difference just by buying food from companies that we would like to support and then they will appear more and more on the shelves of major retailers.

Odyssey on Yesterday at 09:26:50 PM said:

I can confirm this, I often look at these products, get tempted - but fortunately do the test (see other links in diet and health) and they fail miserably. :)

As other people have said, implied, marketing works wonders on the general populace.
dugdeep said:
The representatives were not necessarily interested in improving the environment or promoting health but they say that they stock what the customers buy and the organic food movement has been increasing rapidly.

So Bud, I think it is too early to say that "our knowledge of toxins finally having an influence in the market place, ...".

Bud said:

BPA stands for Bisphenol A.

More information about this chemical can be found here

Back
Top Bottom