Need dietary advice

Odysseus

Jedi
My father just got released from hospital, after having his second episode of diverticulitis. I should add here that, he is also on marcumar which decreases the blood coagulation, since he had a heart operation a couple of years ago and got a substitute artificial valve. So this makes him more susceptible to any kind of hemorrhage (especially "invisible" internal ones). My father will go ask for a second opinion, as he has been told in the hospital, that the large intestine has already extensive diverticulitis and should be operated, even maybe removed.

Hoping it is not too late to recover on his own to avoid such an invasive operation he asked me for my opinion/advice. I made a quick search here on the forum and I am considering to suggest my father some dietary changes, the brown rice diet for example and/or leaving out dairy products.

Any advices, suggestions whatsoever are greatly appreciated. Please forgive me, if I missed something in the forum or other literature (I am already in the process to get me some of the recommended books on health and do some reading/researching on my own).

Hi Odysseus,

The following thread with the Ultra Simple diet will also be useful:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

Another useful book is "Enzyme Factor" by Hiromi Shynia, a gastroenterologist.

I don't know how old is your father, but FWIW, in some European countries treatment with marcumar-like drugs is sometimes changed to aspirin-like drugs after 3 months of heart valve surgery (mainly aortic valve surgery) in people who are old enough and at high risk of bleeding problems; but this is only if the individual has a biological prosthetic valve (as opposed to a mechanical prosthetic valve).

I think it is not late to make some life-style dietary changes which can improve his quality of life :) . I hope he will be open to it.

I will read the thread, thanks a lot for the advice Psyche.
I'll make sure to get hold of a copy of the "Enzyme Factor" book as well.

My father is 68 years old. He told me he decided to have the mechanical prosthetic valve with all it's "marcumar-disadvantages" implanted, as a biological prosthetic valve supposedly lasts only some 10 years and he didn't want to go through another heart operation at an even higher age.

He most definitely is open to dietary changes, as he seriously asked for my opinion on this issue. It will be hard though for him as he is spoiled with the tasty (greek) mediterranean food.

Apropos mediterranean food: I assume olive oil is fine to be included in the diet? (I would be shocked to hear something opposite)...

Odysseus said:
Apropos mediterranean food: I assume olive oil is fine to be included in the diet? (I would be shocked to hear something opposite)...

Olive oil is a keeper ;)

Odysseus said:
My father is 68 years old. He told me he decided to have the mechanical prosthetic valve with all it's "marcumar-disadvantages" implanted, as a biological prosthetic valve supposedly lasts only some 10 years and he didn't want to go through another heart operation at an even higher age.

Yes, his concern is a valid one. I thought your father had a biological valve which does not require strong blood thinners like marcumar. Just to clarify, what I meant previously was that some people don't even have temporary therapy with marcumar-like drugs with biological valves. But if its a mechanical valve, yeah, that changes the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom