Hand cream/lotion ingredients

3DStudent

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi all, I recently bought some burt's bees hand cream that said 98% natural. I had seen it in stores and looked at the ingredients, but decided to get it online. I'm not sure about the dry milk, carrageenan extract, soybean oil, and stearic acid. These are things that are not good to consume orally. But do they absorb through the skin and are thus also not recommended for external use?

My hands get really dry and start to crack. This seems to happen only during cold weather because now they are clearing up. I was formerly using 100% shea butter, but it was really greasy and it wouldn't last but for about two hours. Does anyone know of a good natural hand cream/lotion?

3D Student said:
My hands get really dry and start to crack. This seems to happen only during cold weather because now they are clearing up. I was formerly using 100% shea butter, but it was really greasy and it wouldn't last but for about two hours. Does anyone know of a good natural hand cream/lotion?

My wife swears by "burt's bees hand cream." She's had me use it on my hands for the same conditions you mention. In addition, her ex-husband used to work outside during the winter and suffer from cracked skin on fingers and hands, so she had him coat the effected hands with the cream and wear a glove to protect them overnight and the problem areas healed right up within 24 to 48 hours!

All the kids love the stuff for the same reasons and hold it in high regard.

3D Student said:
Hi all, I recently bought some burt's bees hand cream that said 98% natural. I had seen it in stores and looked at the ingredients, but decided to get it online. I'm not sure about the dry milk, carrageenan extract, soybean oil, and stearic acid. These are things that are not good to consume orally. But do they absorb through the skin and are thus also not recommended for external use?

I've been using Avalon Organics quite a bit.

Bud said:
My wife swears by "burt's bees hand cream."

Yeah, I've always heard that they have nice skin products, which is why I was looking at their hand creams.

Mrs. Peel said:
I've been using Avalon Organics quite a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion Mrs. Peel, I just looked it up and it doesn't seem too expensive. These little 2 oz. cream containers are like $8-9. :rolleyes:

I tend to go by the rule that if you can't eat it safely don't put it on your skin. Anything that you put on the skin can be absorbed into the body. I never tasted shea butter but I've read that it can be eaten. Same with aloe. Cut straight from the plant it tastes god-awful but it helps with constipation.

The burt's bees ingredients are pretty shady. Dry milk= dairy, carrageenan is implicated in tumor formation , soybean oil is most likely GMO and I'm not too sure what stearic acid is but I try to avoid it in supplements.

Are you taking in enough good fats/omega-3? This should help with the overly dry skin.

Hi Odyssey, yeah it seems that something applied to the skin would get into the bloodstream. Hence medication patches. I take Cod liver and salmon oil capsules. They didn't seem to have much effect on my dry skin, which I had before I started taking supplements.

I use Argan oil which I got from the local health store. I like the smell a lot and it can also be eaten, but I use it only for my skin. My second choice was topical olive oil, but it seems that my skin likes the argan oil a lot.

I used almond oil before but it was making my skin itch. I can't tolerate almonds.

Here is more info about this argan oil:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argan_oil

Argan oil is an oil produced from the kernels of the argan tree, endemic to Morocco, that is valued for its nutritive, cosmetic and numerous medicinal properties. The tree, a relict species from the Tertiary age, is extremely well adapted to drought and other environmentally difficult conditions of southwestern Morocco. The species Argania once covered North Africa and is now endangered and under protection of UNESCO.[1] The Argan tree grows wild in semi-desert soil, its deep root system helping to protect against soil erosion and the northern advance of the Sahara.[2] This biosphere reserve, the Arganeraie Biosphere Reserve, covers a vast intramontane plain of more than 2,560,000 hectares, bordered by the High Atlas and Anti-Atlas Mountains and open to the Atlantic in the west. Argan oil remains one of the rarest oils in the world due the small and very specific growing areas....

The tree is a relic of the Earth's Tertiary Period, which ended about 1.6 million years ago, and it grows in only a few other places in the world. It is tenacious, withering and fruitless during extended droughts, and it lives as long as 200 years. So there was alarm that the Argania spinosa, as the tree is properly called, was headed for extinction, along with its precious goat-related oil.

UNESCO, and people excited by the oil's reputed anti-aging qualities have helped by creating a global market for the exotic oil, the unlikely alliance hopes to raise awareness about the inherent value of the trees, encouraging more careful grazing and stopping the local population from chopping the trees down for firewood. The people in the area are poor, as they now understand the value of the tree, they are protecting it.

UNESCO declared a 25,900-square-kilometer of land between the Atlantic and the Atlas Mountains and provided money to manage the trees' preservation. Chefs and society matrons took up the cause, praising the culinary qualities of the oil and its anti-aging effect on the skin. There is also a ban against grazing in the trees from May to August, when the fruit ripens to a bright yellow and eventually the goats climb the trees, eat the fruit and expel the pits, which locals continue to collect.

At the Cooperative in Tiout, Berber women sit on the floor with rough rectangular stones between their knees cracking pits with rounded rocks. Each smooth pit contains one to three kernels, which look like sliced almonds and are rich in oil. The kernels are then removed and gently roasted. This roasting accounts for part of the oil's distinctive, nutty flavour. It takes several days and about 32 kilograms of fruit - roughly one season's produce from a single tree - to make only one liter of oil. The cosmetic oil, rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, is used for massage, facials and as an ingredient in anti-aging cream. The edible oil is extracted from roasted kernels...

[edit] Properties and uses
Fatty acid Percentage
Palmitic 12.0%
Stearic 6.0%
Oleic 42.8%
Linoleic 36.8%
Linolenic <0.5%

Argan oil is exceptionally rich in natural tocopherols (vitamin E), rich in phenols and phenolic acid, rich in carotenes, rich in squalene, rich in essential fatty acids, 80% unsaturated fatty acids[6] and depending on extraction method more resistant to oxidation than olive oil...

The unroasted oil is traditionally used as a treatment for skin diseases, and has found favour with the cosmetics industry. An Irish sufferer of the skin condition Psoriasis claims that Argan oil has helped greatly in clearing up the physical manifestation of the condition.

3D Student said:
Hi all, I recently bought some burt's bees hand cream that said 98% natural

Just a note that pretty much every hand cream you buy will never be 100% natural, the reason being that the natural ingredients will decay without a preservative. Without a preservative, creams will last at most a week or two. Even using a natural preservative such as grapefruit seed extract will only extend the life of the cream by an extra week. So if you want 100% natural, stick to something like the argon oil mentioned by Psyche. Other good oils would be something like apricot kernal oil, or borage seed oil (good for eczema) combined with almond oil(if not allergic to almonds) , or macadamia oil.

Odyssey said:
I'm not too sure what stearic acid is but I try to avoid it in supplements.

Stearic acid is used as a thickening agent and is a fatty acid derived from animal fat. I've read that it is often taken from the stomachs of pigs.

Thank you for the info Psyche and manitoban. I guess oils are good for the skin as well as creams. On a few occasions I put extra virgin olive oil on my hands, but it made them quite "wet".

A trick to get oils to absorb better into the skin, seal in moisture and not be so slick on the surface:

Wet your hands with warm water then put a dab of the oil on your skin then rub, rub, rub until it is absorbed. You can do this for your face too. Remember a little oil goes a long way.

I have heard that jojoba oil is closest to the skin's oil but have never used it. Organic Coconut Oil is sublime on the skin, shea butter is nice and the other oils people mention here are good too.

I think larger corporations have bought out Jason Natural Cosmetics, Avalon Organics, etc. as I had been using those for years but noticed that the ingredients changed to include silicones and plastics like Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethicone which are found in the majority of hair care brands like Pantene.

The shorter the ingredient list, the better as the more plant extracts and flowers that are in it require more preservatives which is irritating and absorbed by the body. You would be better off buying a fragrance-free product then adding your own essential oils as needed.

When the plant and flower extracts are at the beginning of the ingredient list and listed as in an aqueous solution this means it is basically just tea water and all of the beneficial properties are cooked out. So you are paying more for a product that really is not special or different than anything else out there.

If the plant and flower extracts are at the bottom of the ingredient list, that means there are negligible amounts that will do nothing to improve your skin. You see this a lot in the mainstream brands like Suave, Pantene, etc. that want to jump on the natural marketing bandwagon. The “natural” stuff is down at the bottom of the ingredient list and do nothing to help your skin or hair, it is the silicones and plastics that coat your hair and make it feel good to the touch.

There are a lot of resources out there on how to make your own skin creams with a few simple ingredients and such. Less is more in my honest opinion, fwiw.

April said:
Wet your hands with warm water then put a dab of the oil on your skin then rub, rub, rub until it is absorbed. You can do this for your face too. Remember a little oil goes a long way.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have noticed that if you rub more it seems to push the cream more into your hands. I try to use things without so many multi-syllabled ingredients and get the natural products. I find it surprising that the hair products use plastic to make hair feel nice, when people may think it's something natural.

3D Student said:
April said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I have noticed that if you rub more it seems to push the cream more into your hands. I try to use things without so many multi-syllabled ingredients and get the natural products. I find it surprising that the hair products use plastic to make hair feel nice, when people may think it's something natural.

You are welcome :)

3D Student said:

i use a combination of organic olive oil and magnesium oil on my face, neck and hands. I let it sit for about 20 minutes, then wipe off any excess.

I am using a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture in a glass bottle. It burns if you have any open sores, cuts or scratches, so you may want to try much less magnesium to start. You have to shake it up before you use it. The mixture separates some. Good luck! :)

Hi Menvra, magnesium oil is one of the things I haven't yet tried. I take it in supplements but I heard that it takes a long time until your levels get stable. I just got some Burt's Bees hand salve and the only thing that might be offensive in it is almond oil. But this would be if I'm sensitive to it and it's a small jar so I'll see how it goes. I guess I'm going to just keep trying new things until I get one right. :P Thank you for the suggestion. :)

Back
Top Bottom