Seminars at Quantum Future School, still have those?

Cyre2067

The Living Force
Hey guys, i was doing more reading and stumbled onto the QFS webpage and it seemed so cool. Almost like an Xavier's School for The Gifted right here in our reality. Hmm, i wonder if that's an archetype.... anyway, i was looking at the schedule, but i think its from 2004, the link is here: http://www.quantumfuture.net/qfw/

Anywho im still planning my trip to your side of the pond, and was wondering if you guys still have those type of workshops. As i plan to hop city to city over the course of a month or id love to spend time with you guys in polite conversation or a more formal educational setting. So if there is a seminar or workshop in the sept-october period, as that's when ill be in europe, please let me know so i can shuffle my plans accordingly.

Thanks!
Brent

Cyre2067 said:
Hey guys, i was doing more reading and stumbled onto the QFS webpage and it seemed so cool. Almost like an Xavier's School for The Gifted right here in our reality.
The X-Men is an organization of superhumanly powerful mutants that was founded by Professor Charles Xavier for two purposes: first, to train such mutants in the uses of their superhuman powers, and second, to serve as a combat team that could defend humanity against attacks by superhumanly powerful mutants who use their powers for criminal ends, as well as against other threats.
Is that what you are looking for? If so, then QFS is not exactly the same, as to enter the school you need to pass several exams. Here is one of the questions from the entry exam of the past workshop:

Three sisters went to the market to sell their chicken. One of them brought 10 chicken, the second one 16, the third one 26. Till noon they sold part of their chicken, each one asking the same price. After the lunch, afraid that they will not be able to sell all of the chicken, they have reduced the price, and, again, sold the rest, as before, each of them asking the same price. After returning home they were surprized, as each of them came with the same amount of money: 35 Euros. What was the price the sisters were asking before and after the lunch?
??? :)

ark said:
Three sisters went to the market to sell their chicken. One of them brought 10 chicken, the second one 16, the third one 26. Till noon they sold part of their chicken, each one asking the same price. After the lunch, afraid that they will not be able to sell all of the chicken, they have reduced the price, and, again, sold the rest, as before, each of them asking the same price. After returning home they were surprized, as each of them came with the same amount of money: 35 Euros. What was the price the sisters were asking before and after the lunch?
??? :)
That's going to be a toughy ;-). Let's just say there is not enough data for a conclusive answer.

lol

I'm tempted to say its a trick question, but ill keep working on it just in case....
It is 3 equations and 5 unknowns which ordinarily is a problem but in this case since some things are restricted to a range of integers, one can come up with an answer. Didn't really exhaustingly determine I have the only answer but I do have an answer. It's the educated guess method. One could also take the third sister's 26 bosonic chickens and compactify using the second sister's 16 fermionic chickens and end up with the first sister's 10 spacetime chickens. :)

John G said:
It is 3 equations and 5 unknowns
I have the more expanded 6 equations and 8 unknowns. But it boils down to your 3 eq. and 5 unknowns by rewriting 3 equations and substituting.

domivr said:
John G said:
I have the more expanded 6 equations and 8 unknowns. But it boils down to your 3 eq. and 5 unknowns by rewriting 3 equations and substituting.
You are rigth. That is why it is for "superhumanly powerful". But it has a unique solution. :)

Well, if you brainstorm a little bit, you will certainly notice a certain difference between selling chicken and selling ..... say, gas at the gas station ..... John G is onto something ... but no, all the chicken were farmionic.

Till noon they sold part of their chicken, each one asking the same price.
Ark, if you could just clarify - are the sisters all asking the same price as each other per chicken (e.g 3.50), or are they asking each customer the same price every time? For example, one sister could be selling for 3.50 per chicken but "asking the same price" from each customer, whereas another sister could be selling for 2.50 per chicken but nevertheless asking the same price each time. Depends on how you interpret the context....

Barry said:
Till noon they sold part of their chicken, each one asking the same price.
Ark, if you could just clarify - are the sisters all asking the same price as each other per chicken (e.g 3.50), or are they asking each customer the same price every time? For example, one sister could be selling for 3.50 per chicken but "asking the same price" from each customer, whereas another sister could be selling for 2.50 per chicken but nevertheless asking the same price each time. Depends on how you interpret the context....
The way I interpreted it was that in the morning they all sold chickens for the same price A and in the afternoon they all sold chickens for price B.

Dominique.

Yes I actually wrote my response before seeing yours... funny that someone should use 3.50 as an example... I think Ark cheated and got help from the Cs with that "farmionic"...

ark said:
domivr said:
John G said:
You are rigth. That is why it is for "superhumanly powerful". But it has a unique solution. :)

Well, if you brainstorm a little bit, you will certainly notice a certain difference between selling chicken and selling ..... say, gas at the gas station ..... John G is onto something ... but no, all the chicken were farmionic.
Ok, I am bit rusty. I do understand that there are ranges of integers as far as the number of chickens sold by each sister. I even got the old equation grapher out (see http://www.laughingtick.com/parametric%20curves.jpg). I can see the answer visually and given ArdVan's clues I know what it is, but I am stuck right now on how to get there :-)

Dominique.

ArdVan said:
Got it! I only say for now it's "3 to 1" and the two values multiplied are: 4.6875 ;)
You gave me a smile.

There is still hope for this planet :)

Yet we need to combat evil forces:

Shi'ar technology is extraordinarily advanced. Besides their advanced warp-drive starships, the Shi'ar can travel instantaneously between even galaxies using a space-warping device called the Stargate, which demands, however, far more energy than warp-drive starships.

The Shi'ar have known of Earth for many years and have secretly stationed observers there ever since it became widely known that it lay at a crossroads for hyperspatial routes within the Milky Way Galaxy and between that galaxy end those of the Kree, Shi'ar, end Skrulls. The Shi'ar tend to regard Earth humans as primitives, but some Shi'ar have begun to alter that opinion due to contact with Earth's X-Men. Former majestrix Lilandra has even taken an Earth human, Charles Xavier as her consort.
Fot that we need to master space and time, and also the the Devil of Algebra and the Angel of Geometry

Thus new challenges will be posted shortly.

conforme_ou_non.jpg

A mathematician I am not, but I like trying to solve Al[geb]ra.

Here is what my dense brain put together so far :)

For sister# 1 lets have c+d <= 10 where c is chickens sold before lunch and d is chickens sold after lunch

For sister# 2 lets have e+f <= 16 where e is chickens sold before lunch and f is chickens sold after lunch

For sister# 3 lets have g +h <= 26 where g is chickens sold before lunch and h is chickens sold after lunch

So then my not so "superhumanly powerful" connection to the right side of brain, mirth came up with these simple equations, which are probably not correct:

Let B = price before lunch

Let A = price after lunch

Therefore,

cB + cA = 35

eB + fA = 35

gB + hA = 35

Ok, maybe I am on to something, and with some substitution I might get somewhere, maybe sort of, but then there is either this joke or clue that it is a "farmionic" chickens which means chichens that are "Fermions, named after Enrico Fermi, are particles which form totally-antisymmetric composite quantum states. As a result, they are subject to the Pauli exclusion principle and obey Fermi-Dirac statistics. The spin-statistics theorem states that fermions have half-integer spin. One possible way of visualizing spin is that particles with a 1/2 spin, i.e. fermions have to be rotated by two full rotations to return them to their initial state."???

Okay, reading the above, its time for bed hahahaha!

Saman said:
Ok, maybe I am on to something, and with some substitution I might get somewhere, maybe sort of, but then there is either this joke or clue that it is a "farmionic" chickens which means chichens that are ...
Maybe the clue is that the chickens are a-tomic like a fermion i.e. whole. No chicken breasts or thighs are being sold ;-)

Back
Top Bottom