Prime Rib and Bones

Mike

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I had an interesting conversation today with my teacher about bones and muscles that we are learning in class. During the conversation, where I was trying to understand the bones and cartilage of the ribs, she mentioned that she worked at with a Chiropractor and that during an examination it was discovered that she has a thirteenth rib pair that could feel to pinch when she bent over. Normally people just have twelve pairs:
14 real ribs (7 pairs)
10 false ribs (5 pairs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib
Humans have 24 ribs (12 pairs). The first seven sets of ribs, known as "true ribs", are directly attached to the sternum through the costal cartilage. The following five sets are known as "false ribs", three of these sharing a common cartilaginous connection to the sternum, while the last two (eleventh and twelfth ribs) are termed floating ribs (costae fluitantes) or vertebral ribs. They are attached to the vertebrae only, and not to the sternum or cartilage coming off of the sternum. Some people are missing one of the two pairs of floating ribs, while others have a third pair. Rib removal is the surgical excision of ribs for therapeutic or cosmetic reasons.

So some people have 26 ribs (13 pairs):
14 real ribs (7 pairs)
12 false ribs (6 pairs - three pairs of which are floating ribs)

I found it curious, because I had never heard of this and reminded me of the mention of 'prime rib' in this session:

961214 said:
[...]
OK, let me jump over to this other subject of the number 33 and the number 11. Is there anything beyond what was given on 11-11-95, that you could add at this time, about any of the mathematics or the use of these numbers?
A: Prime numbers are the dwellings of the mystics.
Q: (L) What do you mean, "prime numbers are the dwellings of the mystics?"
A: Self-explanatory, if you use the tools given you.
Q: (L) How can a number be a dwelling?
A: Figure of speech. [Planchette spirals several times, vigorously] And how interesting that we have a new "cell" phone company called: "Primeco."
Q: (L) And how does a cell phone company called "Primeco" relate to prime numbers being dwellings of mystics?
A: Not for us to answer. [Word association by group: encryption, cells of monks, prisons, prime number divisible by one or self]
Q: (L) Is encryption the key?
A: Oh, there is so much here. One example is: "Snake eyes" is not so good as 7,11, eh?
Q: (T) They are all prime numbers, too; seven and eleven. (L) What kinds of documents or writings... or what would be applicable...
A: No, Laura you are trying to focus, or limit the concept, my dear. Think of it, what is the Judaic Christian legend for the creation of a woman?
Q: (L) That woman was taken from the rib of Adam. That Eve was created from the rib of Adam.
A: Ever heard of a "prime rib?"
Q: [Groans] (T) I hate being in kindergarten and not knowing what the subject is. Ok, prime rib. We have a prime rib, so...
A: What happens in a "Primary."
Q: (L) An election. You narrow down the candidates. What happens in a primary?
A: Who gets "picked" to run?
Q: (L) Ok, keep on...
A: "Prime Directive?"
Q: (L) OK.
A: "Prime time?"
Q: (L) The first, the best... and...
A: Not point
Q: (L) I know that's not the point! Is what we're saying here, is that we can use these prime numbers to derive something out of something else?
A: We told you about the mystics.
Q: (T) They're using prime numbers to... (L) Oh, ok, I get it. So, mystics... the mystics, the mystical secrets... dwell in the prime numbers if used as a code.
A: Name the primary mystical organizations for key to clue system.
Q: (L) ...key to clue system?
A: Yes. [We named: Catholicism, Christianity, Judaism, Cabalism, Sufism, The Koran, Mysteries. Laura realized that she had just set aside the book "Understanding Mysticism," it was next to a book on Caballah on the bookcase in the room. Jesuits, Masons, Knights Templar,Rosicrucians]
Q: (L) All right. With our little list that we're making, are we on to something, or are we completely off track?
A: Yes, now check out those crop circles photos... any prime number combos there?
Q: (L) Do you mean in terms of dimension, or do you mean in composition?
A: Composition and dimensions... anything you can find. [Discussion: Sacred geometries, all sects listed use prime numbers. John 3:16-19, Corinthians 13. Genesis, Ch.2, verse 22 "rib taken from the man and made woman" - 2 is the only even prime number. Ch 3, v5..."your eyes shall be opened and ye shall be as the gods." (Eating from the Tree of Knowledge)]

Essential Sciences for Therapeutic Massage said:
"The body has 206 bones, with some individual variations; for example, some individuals have more or fewer sesamoid bones (a type of bone that develops within a tendon or joint capsule."
The best example of which is the Patella (knee cap).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesamoid_bones
Sesamoid bones are found in locations where a tendon passes over a joint, such as the hand, knee, and foot. Functionally, they act to protect the tendon and to increase its mechanical effect. The presence of the sesamoid bone holds the tendon slightly farther away from the center of the joint and thus increases its moment arm. Sesamoid bones also prevent the tendon from flattening into the joint as tension increases and therefore also maintain a more consistent moment arm through a variety of possible tendon loads. This differs from menisci, which are made of cartilage and rather act to disperse the weight of the body on joints and reduce friction during movement.

Sesamoid bones can be found on joints throughout the body, they are the hardest form of cartilage, including:

In the knee - the patella (within the quadriceps tendon)

In the hand - two sesamoid bones are located in distal portions of the first metacarpal bone (within the tendons of adductor pollicis and abductor pollicis brevis). There is also commonly a sesamoid bone in distal portions of the second metacarpal bone. The pisiform of the wrist is a sesamoid bone as well (within the tendon of flexor carpi ulnaris).[1]

In the foot - the first metatarsal bone has two sesamoid bones at its connection to the big toe (both within the tendon of flexor hallucis brevis).

So some individuals have 204 (one floating rib pair) and some have 208 (three floating rib pairs) give or take, but it is hard to determine exactly how many bones are connected directly with the the Appendicular skeleton (all bones, except the skull, vertebrae, ribs, and the hyoid bone which form the Axial skeleton.) or even exactly how many bones each individual has because there are many variations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appendicular_skeleton
It is important to realize that through anatomical variation it is common for the skeleton to have many extra bones (sutural bones in the skull, cervical ribs, lumbar ribs and even extra lumbar vertebrae)

The appendicular skeleton of 126 bones and the axial skeleton of 80 bones together form the complete skeleton of 206 bones in the human body. Unlike the axial skeleton, the appendicular skeleton is unfused. This allows for a much greater range of motion.

The Hyoid bone is lumped in with the number of axial skeleton bones as part of the skull as a facial bone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Bones_of_skeleton and is an irregular bone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregular_bone, but not connected with any other bone. So it is really unique because it is irregular, isn't considered a sesamoid bone but kind of relates to them and the only bone not articulated (connected to another bone in formation of a joint). I think it should be classified all by itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyoid
It is the only bone in the human skeleton not articulated to any other bone. It is held in place by thyroid ligaments. The hyoid bone provides attachment to the muscles of the floor of the mouth and the tongue above, the larynx below, and the epiglottis and pharynx behind.

I just find it really interesting because I thought everyone pretty much had the same number of bones and I may have heard about the Hyoid way back in high school, but never considered it.

Also that during belly breathing the movement of the ribs or rib cage is minimized, but the floating ribs I think would be affected and be moved by the breathing. So maybe part of the affect of belly breathing is that nerve stimulation (since the ribs are directly connected to the spine) as a result of bone movement is reduced as compared to normal breathing. Haven't gone into the nervous system in class yet and don't have enough background on how nerve stimulation quantities affect brain processing. Also I wonder if the Hyoid bone has some relation to the Vagus nerve during pipe breathing - specficially the HAAA portion, since from what I could find the Hyoid bones function is directly involved in the production of sound:

http://www.answers.com/topic/hyoid-bone
The hyoid bone is present in many mammals, it allows a wider range of tongue, pharyngeal and laryngeal movements by bracing these structures alongside each other in order to produce variation

http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/ladefoge/manual%20files/chapter4.pdf
The hyoid bone, which lies between the floor of the mouth and the upper end of the neck. Palpate this bone with a thumb and finger on either side of your neck, close to the mandible. You should be able to feel the movements of the cornu (horns) of the hyoid bone by doing the following:
Swallowing.

Saying the vowel sequence [i-a]; noting the higher position of the hyoid bone for the higher vowel.

Saying a single vowel on different pitches. Usually, the higher the pitch, the higher the position of the hyoid bone, though individuals differ in this respect. [...]

After removing all these muscles you will be able to find the recurrent laryngeal nerve, a
branch of the vagus nerve, The recurrent laryngeal nerve supplies motor innervation to the intrinsic muscles of the larynx and is thus of prime importance in the production of voiced sounds.

If it is injured it is impossible to speak normally. It is called “recurrent” because it starts descending towards the heart, but one branch loops back up to innervate the larynx. The left recurrent laryngeal nerve loops around the aorta, while the right hooks around the right subclavian artery.

Couldn't really find any information on the Hyoid related to singing, to the Vagus nerve and their really doesn't seem to be much information on the hyoid that I could find (maybe there will be more information on it in the text book I just ordered). Also, man the throat and neck are packed with stuff where it is hard to figure out what's going on, but I related the Hyoid to this from the EE transcript, FWIW.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12985.0
But we've noticed that when people get together and sing, they breathe differently and they get a lot of catharsis. They get a lot of emotional relief from singing. You can sing one of those down home, good old boy, heart breaking songs about your lost love and re-experience all the emotions of some heart breaking experience you had at some point in your life and even maybe make yourself cry a little bit. And it is very cathartic. It's very releasing. But in any event, not only is breath the engine of the sounds that we make, deep inhalations and exhalations are inextricably linked with emotionality.

Back
Top Bottom