Earthquakes around the world

A few more of interest from today:

USGS said:
4.3 94km SSW of Nikolski, Alaska 2016-05-01 17:20:07 UTC 31.6 km

3.5 26km NW of Fairview, Oklahoma 2016-05-01 13:06:11 UTC 5.0 km

4.9 211km NNE of Chichi-shima, Japan 2016-05-01 11:25:56 UTC 2.2 km

4.8 63km NNE of Codrington, Barbuda 2016-05-01 10:35:34 UTC 20.1 km

4.4 60km SSE of Banda Aceh, Indonesia 2016-05-01 07:08:18 UTC 95.5 km

4.5 43km N of `Alaqahdari-ye Kiran wa Munjan, Afghanistan 2016-05-01 06:16:12 UTC 115.7 km

Selected from today:
5.1 34km SE of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2016-05-02 08:10:19 UTC 98.0 km

5.1 106km SSE of Bristol Island, South Sandwich Islands 2016-05-02 07:37:50 UTC 35.0 km

4.9 257km E of Miyako, Japan 2016-05-02 07:26:52 UTC 31.2 km

4.6 Reykjanes Ridge 2016-05-02 06:58:05 UTC 10.0 km [off the coasts of Iceland and Greenland)

4.8 185km SW of Lorengau, Papua New Guinea 2016-05-02 06:51:37 UTC 10.0 km

5.3 210km SW of Merizo Village, Guam 2016-05-02 05:24:44 UTC 26.0 km

4.0 102km NNE of Chignik Lake, Alaska 2016-05-02 04:37:21 UTC 3.3 km

5.9 38km NW of Pulaupanggung, Indonesia 2016-05-02 04:21:25 UTC 132.7 km

3.2 64km W of Anchor Point, Alaska 2016-05-02 03:51:16 UTC 109.0 km

4.5 35km WNW of Mendoza, Argentina 2016-05-02 02:03:31 UTC 39.8 km

5.1 76km NNE of Whakatane, New Zealand 2016-05-02 00:26:47 UTC 151.1 km

And the KP index over night briefly rose to level 6 dropping a few hours ago :
13103423_10156875367725425_1775986432171676928_n.jpg

For anyone not totally familiar. Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-index said:
The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field with an integer in the range 0–9 with 1 being calm and 5 or more indicating a geomagnetic storm. It is derived from the maximum fluctuations of horizontal components observed on a magnetometer during a three-hour interval. The label K comes from the German word Kennziffer[1] meaning “characteristic digit”. The K-index was introduced by Julius Bartels in 1938.[2]

itellsya said:
Selected from today:
5.9 38km NW of Pulaupanggung, Indonesia 2016-05-02 04:21:25 UTC 132.7 km

It appears it has been downgraded but as the article states, some registered M6.4 others M6. apparently now M5.9

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/31493768/large-earthquake-strikes-indonesian-island-of-sumatra/ said:
Large earthquake strikes Indonesian island of Sumatra

Yahoo News on May 2, 2016, 4:34 pm

quake_in_1bidt1o-1bidt7p.jpg

The magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit Sumatra, neighbouring the populous island of Java. Source: Google Maps
Share Tweet Email

A magnitude 6.0 earthquake has struck the southern tip of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

The quake struck at a depth of 124 kilometres underground shortly after 11am local time, according to the geological survey group GFZ.

There were no tsunami warnings triggered by the tremor on the island neighbouring Java, home to the Indonesian capital Jakarta and 141 million people.

Some reports registered the quake at magnitude 6.4, others less than 6.0.

No immediate casualties have been reported.

There have been several quakes along the area known as the "Pacific Rim and Fire" in recent weeks, striking in Ecuador, Vanuatu, Japan and New Zealand.

Another in France with testimonies on the page:

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504107#testimonies said:
M 4.2 - FRANCE - 2016-05-02 10:36:56 UTC

Added: apparently 12:30 local time. And from the comments: 'sounded/felt like a truck going past'

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504107#map said:

itellsya said:
Another in France with testimonies on the page:

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504107#testimonies said:
M 4.2 - FRANCE - 2016-05-02 10:36:56 UTC

Added: apparently 12:30 local time. And from the comments: 'sounded/felt like a truck going past'

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504107#map said:

Well, france seems to be "Rocking and Rolling", over the average recently... Wonder if the tentions on the the streets there right now, combined with moves from some in the political scene "towards russia" are related in some way?

Pashalis said:
[...]

Well, france seems to be "Rocking and Rolling", over the average recently... Wonder if the tentions on the the streets there right now, combined with moves from some in the political scene "towards russia" are related in some way?

it's interesting you mention it because the other location which rumbled recently was Austria:

7 days ago [25th April] 3.9 magnitude, 9 km depth Heiligenkreuz, Lower Austria, Austria

And there was this around the beginning of April - when it was reported, though there may have been hints of Austria's position before:

http://www.dw.com/en/austrian-president-rails-against-eu-sanctions-on-russia/a-19170171 said:
Date 06.04.2016

Austrian President Heinz Fischer has told his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin that Austria could help remove EU sanctions. That is, if Russia ensures complete fulfillment of its side of the Ukraine ceasefire deal :rolleyes: .

After a meeting on Wednesday in Moscow with the speaker of Russia's lower house of parliament, Sergei Naryshkin, Fischer said: "It is important to develop a way to overcome these sanctions in the near future. I have always said that sanctions hurt both sides."

However, Fischer - who leaves office in July - also reiterated that Austria is a "loyal member" of the EU and would adhere to decisions adopted regarding Russia.
[....]
The two presidents also discussed European security as Austria prepares to assume the chairmanship of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) - which independently monitors the Ukraine conflict - next year.

Naryshkin told reporters afterward that Russia is ready to share with Austria its experience in fighting terrorism and settling refugees, adding that the current crisis in Europe is largely a result of the United States' wars in the Middle East.

"Of course we are following the development of the migration crisis in EU countries and in Europe as a whole with concern," Naryshkin said. "We understand that the tremendous flow of refugees from Middle East and North Africa is connected with the thoughtless and irresponsible policies of the United States, the interference into these regions' affairs and attempts to overthrow the governments in these countries that do not suit Washington's needs."

[...]

So it may be something nefarious, Earth Changes and/or Human-Cosmic-Connection, the geomag storm, something else or it may be nothing :D but it occurred to me when the first quake hit France, because i think it was on the day of the actual vote - or at least close to that time.

Foreshock? A Significant Earthquake Just Hit The New Madrid Fault Seismic Zone
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/foreshock-a-significant-earthquake-just-hit-the-new-madrid-fault-seismic-zone

By Michael Snyder, on May 1st, 2016
Could the earthquake that just struck the New Madrid fault seismic zone near the town of La Center, Kentucky be a “foreshock” for a much bigger quake yet to come? Very early on Sunday morning, a magnitude 3.5 earthquake hit western Kentucky, and it was felt in parts of three other states as well. In fact, it is being reported that the quake could be felt all the way over in Miller, Missouri, which is 267 miles away. The New Madrid fault seismic zone is six times larger than the more famous San Andreas fault zone in California, and it covers portions of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi. Scientists tell us that the New Madrid fault is about 30 years overdue for a major event, and because of the nature of the Earth’s crust in that part of the country, a major earthquake would do significant damage all the way to the east coast.

A big Hollywood blockbuster was named after the San Andreas fault, but the truth is that the New Madrid fault has the potential to do vastly more damage. That is why what happened in a remote section of western Kentucky very early this morning was so alarming…

An earthquake near La Center, Kentucky was felt in parts of Illinois and Missouri early on Sunday morning.

According to the National Weather Service in Paducah and the USGS, a magnitude 3.5 was recorded about 8.7 miles north of La Center and 24.2 miles west of Paducah. It happened around 1:12 a.m. and had a depth of about 8.3 miles.

Quite often, there are “foreshocks” that warn us that a major earthquake is coming to a particular area, and many are wondering if this event qualifies.

Most Americans don’t tend to think of the middle of the country as an area that is in danger from earthquakes, but the truth is that some of the worst earthquakes in U.S. history have taken place along the New Madrid fault. The following comes from the USGS…

The New Madrid seismic zone of southeast Missouri and adjacent States is the most seismically active in North America east of the Rockies. During the winter of 1811-1812 three very large earthquakes devastated the area and were felt throughout most of the Nation. They occurred a few weeks apart on December 16, January 23, and February 7. Hundreds of aftershocks, some severely damaging by themselves, continued for years. Prehistoric earthquakes similar in size to those of 1811-1812 occurred in the middle 1400’s and around 900 A.D. Strong, damaging earthquakes struck the southwestern end of the seismic zone near Marked Tree, Arkansas in 1843 (magnitude 6.3), and the northeastern end near Charleston, Missouri in 1895 (magnitude 6.6). Since 1900, moderately damaging earthquakes have struck the seismic zone every few decades.

Those earthquakes in 1811 and 1812 tore thousands of very deep fissures in the ground, they caused the Mississippi River to actually run backwards in some places, and they caused sidewalks to crack in Washington D.C. and church bells to ring in Boston.

In our time, the U.S. Geological Survey has admitted that the New Madrid fault zone has the “potential for larger and more powerful quakes than previously thought“, and we have seen the number of significant earthquakes in the middle part of the country more than quintuple in recent years.

If a magnitude 7 or magnitude 8 earthquake were to strike along the New Madrid fault today, the damage that would be done would be absolutely unimaginable because of the nature of the Earth’s crust in this region. According to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, earthquakes along the New Madrid fault “shake and damage an area approximately 20 times larger than earthquakes in California”…

Due to the harder, colder, drier and less fractured nature of the rocks in the earth’s crust in the central United States, earthquakes in this region shake and damage an area approximately 20 times larger than earthquakes in California and most other active seismic areas. Even though large earthquakes occur much less frequently in the NMSZ than in California, the long term average quake threat, in terms of square miles affected per century, is about the same because of the approximately 20 times larger area affected in the central United States.

Are you starting to get an idea of just how devastating this kind of disaster could be?

Once upon a time, our continent almost divided along the New Madrid fault. Of course that didn’t happen, but a massive scar formed deep underground, and this area of weakness has remained ever since. The following comes from Wikipedia…

The faults responsible for the New Madrid Seismic Zone are embedded in a subsurface geological feature known as the Reelfoot Rift that formed during the breakup of the supercontinent Rodinia in the Neoproterozoic Era (about 750 million years ago). The resulting rift system failed to split the continent, but has remained as an aulacogen (a scar or zone of weakness) deep underground, and its ancient faults appear to have made the Earth’s crust in the New Madrid area mechanically weaker than much of the rest of North America.

This relative weakness is important, because it would allow the relatively small east-west compressive forces associated with the continuing continental drift of the North American plate to reactivate old faults around New Madrid, making the area unusually prone to earthquakes in spite of it being far from the nearest tectonic plate boundary.

One day, I believe that a major seismic event in the area of this deep scar will literally divide the United States in half.

What that will do to our country is the kind of stuff that apocalyptic novels are written about.

And it is also important to keep in mind that there are 15 nuclear reactors along the New Madrid fault zone, so if a massive earthquake did strike the region we could be looking at Fukushima times 15.

So yes, I am always concerned whenever a significant earthquake hits the New Madrid fault.

angelburst29 said:
Foreshock? A Significant Earthquake Just Hit The New Madrid Fault Seismic Zone
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/foreshock-a-significant-earthquake-just-hit-the-new-madrid-fault-seismic-zone

By Michael Snyder, on May 1st, 2016
Could the earthquake that just struck the New Madrid fault seismic zone near the town of La Center, Kentucky be a “foreshock” for a much bigger quake yet to come? Very early on Sunday morning, a magnitude 3.5 earthquake hit western Kentucky, and it was felt in parts of three other states as well. In fact, it is being reported that the quake could be felt all the way over in Miller, Missouri, which is 267 miles away. The New Madrid fault seismic zone is six times larger than the more famous San Andreas fault zone in California, and it covers portions of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi. Scientists tell us that the New Madrid fault is about 30 years overdue for a major event, and because of the nature of the Earth’s crust in that part of the country, a major earthquake would do significant damage all the way to the east coast.

[...]

And it is also important to keep in mind that there are 15 nuclear reactors along the New Madrid fault zone, so if a massive earthquake did strike the region we could be looking at Fukushima times 15.

Thanks for this angelburst. I've only been following them more diligently in the last year or two and am no expert but from dutchsinse and the USGS reports an area of interest also seems to be Oklahoma which at the moment seems to shake much more often due to the fracking activity.

So it seems the effected area could be even greater, my geography isn't great but the area looks to be double (google maps says something like)...And with the note about the nuclear reactors, of which i understand many in the US are already old and not so well maintained, is just a recipe for disaster.

In my area of the UK they opened at most 1-3 Frackwells, i think they may have been only 'exploration' wells too, and there was a small earthquake not long after - it cracked the walls of some homes, and was the first of it's kind that i know of:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pamela-worth/got-science-will-oklahoma_b_9195262.html said:
Got Science? Will Oklahoma Finally Get Serious About Fracking-Related Earthquakes in 2016?

Until 2009, Oklahoma experienced an average of just two earthquakes per year with a magnitude of 3.0 or more. But that was before a dramatic increase in hydraulic fracturing in the state led to the drilling of thousands of deep injection wells to dispose of so-called wastewater—the brine or sludge collected with oil in the hydraulic fracturing process. Unlike other wastewater associated with fracking, this sludge cannot be reused.
[...]
For years, Oklahoman homes and nerves have been rattled by a series of ever-more-frequent earthquakes: in 2015 alone, 857 earthquakes in the state registered 3.0 or more on the Richter scale. Today, it’s not just homes being shaken up. Public outcry and a series of new lawsuits are finally forcing Oklahoma officials to address the quakes, and their root cause.

Earthquakes in the New Madrid and Wabash Valley seismic zones

USGS/Joan Gomberg and Eugene Schweig - USGS at http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2006/3125/pdf
New_Madrid_and_Wabash_seizmic_zones-USGS.png

And the map with the addition of Oklahoma for perspective - from dutchsinse:

http://dutchsinse.com/3172015-oklahoma-faults-lines-reactivated-after-millions-of-years-large-earthquake-threat-warned/ said:

And a selection from today:
USGS said:
4.7 44km SSW of La Gomera, Guatemala 2016-05-03 07:46:56 UTC 63.0 km

2.5 53km ESE of San Clemente Is. (SE tip), CA 2016-05-03 07:45:24 UTC 27.3 km

23km ENE of Cherokee, Oklahoma 2016-05-03 06:49:41 UTC 5.7 km

21km ENE of Cherokee, Oklahoma 2016-05-03 05:45:33 UTC 5.6 km

3.3 37km SSW of Boca de Yuma, Dominican Republic 2016-05-03 05:30:41 UTC 73.0 km

2.7 29km N of Road Town, British Virgin Islands 2016-05-03 03:24:29 UTC 41.0 km

2.6 17km SW of Estacion Coahuila, B.C., MX 2016-05-03 02:06:38 UTC 5.9km
Yesterday:
4.7 63km SSW of La Gomera, Guatemala 2016-05-02 21:49:38 UTC 35.0 km

And there was another bump in the KP index last night too:

Just a note that I would be a bit careful about the information dutchsinse presents. I'm sure he means well, but he has quite some blind spots in regards to chemtrails, Haarp and such that colour his analysis:

Laura said:
Pashalis said:
I would like to mention that dutchsinse is desinfo. you can make a search about him here.

he just made the compilation (OSIT) of those sounds but I kind of dislike to see him mentioned on SOTT.

I agree. That one slipped past me. But by the time I saw it on sott, it already had comment exchanges going on so I decided to leave it.

So if you watch stuff from him, make sure to take it with a grain of salt as always. For getting an daily overview on earthquakes for example it can be worthwhile to watch his videos, just don't put to much weight on his interpretation of the data.

A much better recourse of getting your daily natural global and solar overview is Suspicious0bservers:

_https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers

He mostly constantly just presents a good deal of current data from the earth and its electrical environment, created by the sun, without that much subjective interpretation. His data is for the most part quite sound, from a scientific standpoint, although he misses the Komet and Nemesis connection.

Pashalis said:
Just a note that I would be a bit careful about the information dutchsinse presents. I'm sure he means well, but he has quite some blind spots in regards to chemtrails, Haarp and such that colour his analysis:

Laura said:
Pashalis said:
I would like to mention that dutchsinse is desinfo. you can make a search about him here.

he just made the compilation (OSIT) of those sounds but I kind of dislike to see him mentioned on SOTT.

I agree. That one slipped past me. But by the time I saw it on sott, it already had comment exchanges going on so I decided to leave it.

So if you watch stuff from him, make sure to take it with a grain of salt as always. For getting an daily overview on earthquakes for example it can be worthwhile to watch his videos, just don't put to much weight on his interpretation of the data.

A much better recourse of getting your daily natural global and solar overview is Suspicious0bservers:

_https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers

He mostly constantly just presents a good deal of current data from the earth and its electrical environment, created by the sun, without that much subjective interpretation. His data is for the most part quite sound, from a scientific standpoint, although he misses the Komet and Nemesis connection.

About dutchsinse, that i did not know, thanks for the heads up. I let his chemtrail business slide because it doesn't always mean the other aspects are wrong, like the Oklahoma fracking issue, but it may explain some other things; HAARP (as mentioned above), his apparent tiff with S0, some of his odd hyping of his discoveries and how he's either constantly under attack or his info is being suppressed and so on.

Interesting article from July of 2015 about 2011 earthquake and tsunami that struck Tohoku, Japan. Seismologists were attending a conf the day it occurred. It brings to light the Cascadia subduction zone.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one?mbid=social_facebook

M3.7 Earthquake in Murcia, Spain today at 1:56pm

https://www.thespainreport.com/newsitems/584-160503145828-update-minor-3-7-earthquake-in-lorca-murcia-some-schools-evacuated said:
Minor 3.7 Earthquake In Lorca (Murcia), Some Schools Evacuated

Earthquake 3 7 lorca may 3 2016

The National Geographic Institute's recording of the earthquake near Lorca.
earthquake-3-7-lorca-may-3-2016.jpg

A minor earthquake measuring 3.7 on the Richter Scale was recorded near the south-eastern town of Lorca (Murcia) at 1:56 p.m. Spanish time, the National Geographic Institute reported.

A spokesman for Lorca Town Hall told The Spain Report that no damage to buildings or casualties had been reported so far, but that "four or five school canteens in the town centre" had been evacuated just in case: "it was just the shock", he said.

Emergency services in the region said 101 calls about the earthquake had been received, and confirmed no damage or injuries had been reported.

Authorities activated a pre-alert level of earthquake preparedness,
began patrolling schools with local police and issued earthquake survival guidelines to residents.

Worried local residents posted on Facebook
that buildings and furniture had moved, and that the earthquake had instantly brought back memories of the 2011 disaster.

Lorca suffered a magnitude 5.1 earthquake in 2011 that killed nine people and injured more than 300. That earthquake was preceded almost two hours earlier by a smaller one of magnitude 4.5.

Selected those above M4

USGS said:
today said:
4.4 4km E of Puerto Armuelles, Panama 2016-05-04 07:04:42 UTC 10.0 km

5.0 63km SSE of Buldir Island, Alaska 2016-05-04 01:49:29 UTC 49.9 km

yesterday said:
5.0 24km SW of Lakatoro, Vanuatu 2016-05-03 23:06:00 UTC 10.0 km

4.5 65km ESE of Muara Siberut, Indonesia 2016-05-03 22:32:35 UTC 35.0 km

4.3 156km ENE of Arzak, China 2016-05-03 20:27:04 UTC 37.2 km

4.1 162km E of Miyako, Japan 2016-05-03 12:06:10 UTC 38.9 km

4.5 35km NNE of Yigo Village, Guam 2016-05-03 07:56:03 UTC 115.7 km

M 5.6 - MARIANA ISLANDS REGION - 2016-05-05 05:21:01 UTC
http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504602

M 4.1 - NEPAL - 2016-05-05 04:46:30 UTC
http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504598

M 3.0 - CENTRAL CALIFORNIA - 2016-05-05 03:03:17 UTC
http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504580

M 4.8 - KYUSHU, JAPAN - 2016-05-05 01:40:14 UTC
http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=504594

A new video just released by the youtube channel of the Thunderbolts Project with Ben Davidson from Suspicious Observers who talks about his lastest researchs about the Sun/Earthquakes connection :

https://youtu.be/yBvo7lvfg8Y

Also about a studie which bring a possible link between earthquakes and precipitations :

Rainwater can help trigger earthquakes

Where it rains, it rumbles. Rainwater and snowmelt help fuel intense earthquakes along a New Zealand tectonic fault, new research suggests.

Tracing the source of water flowing through New Zealand’s Alpine Fault shows that more than 99 percent of it originated from precipitation, researchers report April 19 in Earth and Planetary Science Letters. Scientists knew that underground fluids help trigger quakes, but the origins of these fluids have been uncertain. In this case, the nearby Southern Alps concentrate rainfall and meltwater on top of the Alpine Fault while the fault itself serves as an impermeable dam that traps the water.

The fault “essentially [is] promoting its own large fluid pressures that can lead to earthquakes,” says study coauthor Catriona Menzies, a geologist at the University of Southampton in England. Identifying the fluid source will help scientists better predict the fault’s seismic cycle, she says.

New Zealand sits on the boundary where the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates collide. This collision generates a powerful earthquake along the Alpine Fault around once every 330 years, with the most recent temblor in 1717; it also gradually formed the Southern Alps as the two plates scrunched upward. Moist air condenses on its way up and over the mountains, causing torrential rainfall that typically exceeds 10 meters annually. Menzies and colleagues wondered how much rainwater makes its way to the fault. Fluids within a fault help induce quakes by altering the strength of rock and by counteracting the forces that hold two sides of a fault together.

Water divulges its origins in several ways. The researchers looked at water-deposited minerals in rocks, the relative abundance of helium in nearby hot springs and the various oxygen and hydrogen isotopes that made up the water — all fingerprints of the water’s source. Even though only about 0.02 to 0.05 percent of rainwater makes it to the fault’s depth, the work revealed that more water came from precipitation than from all other sources, such as water released from surrounding rocks and the underlying mantle. The 3-kilometer-tall Southern Alps may even serve as a water tower that boosts water pressure by heightening the stack of groundwater that sits on top of the fault.

While local geography makes the Alpine Fault unique, the new work provides a template for studying fluids in other earthquake-prone areas such as the recently active Japanese fault, says Patrick Fulton, a geophysicist at Texas A&M University in College Station.

_https://www.sciencenews.org/article/rainwater-can-help-trigger-earthquakes?tgt=nr

Back
Top Bottom