Oleic Acid (weight loss, CFS, malabsorption - small intestinal motility)

RedFox

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Ok, so I'd like to share my current working hypothesis on my weight loss and fatigue.

As it stands I've been wheat/gluten, dairy and sugar free (except for the odd blip a month or two ago) for over 6 months now. I've been having a blueberry shake with a bunch of vitamins and amino acids to help repair the lining of my guts and detox in general.
My weight has dropped steadily over this time from 11stone to 9stone 9. I've tried stopping the shake for a week, cutting out different parts of it, having a huge bowl of buckwheat flake pourage with the shake for breakfast, adding digestive enzymes, buckwheat pancakes, regular FIR saunas, getting more (good) fat in my diet (using ghee to cook my buckwheat pancakes) [specifically adding fat to breakfast http://www.sott.net/articles/show/206690-Fried-breakfast-is-healthiest-start-to-day-say-scientists], exploring emotional issues related to food and my right to exist, a week or so of colloidal silver (and gently doing after candida), stress reduction (E-E).....all of which help my well being.....but the weight keeps going down, slowly but surely.

I started a DIY colon cleanse last weekend (activated charcoal + phsylum husk + pro biotics + ginger root extract) before breakfast to see if cleaning my guts would help things.
This has helped make my guts feel calmer.....but I noticed something that I think has led me to the answer I've been looking for.
I noticed that it only took about 6 hours for this mixture to pass through me. I recently read (I cannot find the source, but it could be the book Detoxification and Healing) that average digestive transit time should be about 22 hours.
Thinking back through my life, I've always had very quick transit times.....

Its entirely probable then that nothing is staying in my small intestine long enough for me to absorb it.
What does medical science say about this?

_http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch125/ch125a.html
Symptoms of Nutrient Deficiencies

Calcium - Bone pain and deformities; greater likelihood of fractures (due to bone thinning or osteoporosis); muscle spasms; tooth discoloration and greater susceptibility to painful tooth decay

Folate (folic acid) - Fatigue and weakness (due to anemia)

Iron - Fatigue and weakness (due to anemia)

Magnesium - Muscle spasms

Niacin - Diarrhea; skin disorders; confusion (pellagra); sore tongue

Protein - Tissue swelling (edema), usually in legs; dry skin; hair loss

Vitamin A - Night blindness

Vitamin B1 - Pins-and-needles sensation, especially in the feet; heart failure

Vitamin B2 - Sore tongue; cracks at edge of mouth

Vitamin B12 - Fatigue and weakness (due to anemia); pins-and-needles sensation; confusion

Vitamin C - Weakness; bleeding gums

Vitamin D - Bone thinning; bone pain

Vitamin K - Tendency to bruise and bleed
Introduction

Malabsorption syndrome refers to a number of disorders in which nutrients from food are not absorbed properly in the small intestine.

*Certain disorders, infections, and surgical procedures can cause malabsorption.
*Malabsorption causes diarrhea, weight loss, and bulky, extremely foul-smelling stools.
*The diagnosis is based on typical symptoms along with testing of stool samples for fat and sometimes examination of a tissue specimen removed from the lining of the small intestine.
*The treatment depends on the cause.

Normally, foods are digested and nutrients are absorbed into the bloodstream mainly in the small intestine. Malabsorption may occur if a disorder interferes with the digestion of food or interferes directly with the absorption of nutrients.

Digestion can be affected by disorders that prevent adequate mixing of food with digestive enzymes and acid from the stomach. Inadequate mixing may occur in a person who has had part of the stomach surgically removed. In some disorders, the body produces inadequate amounts or types of digestive enzymes, which are necessary for the breakdown of food. For example, a common cause of malabsorption is insufficient production of digestive enzymes by the pancreas, as occurs with some pancreatic diseases, or by the small intestine, as occurs in lactase deficiency. Decreased production of bile, too much acid in the stomach, or too many of the wrong kinds of bacteria growing in the small intestine may also interfere with digestion.

Absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream can be affected by disorders that injure the lining of the small intestine. The normal lining consists of small projections called villi and even smaller projections called microvilli, which create an enormous surface area for absorption. Surgical removal of a large section of the small intestine substantially reduces the surface area for absorption (short bowel syndrome). Infections (bacterial, viral, or parasitic), drugs such as neomycin Some Trade Names NEO-RX and alcohol, celiac sprue, and Crohn's disease all may injure the intestinal lining. Disorders that affect the remaining layers of the intestinal wall, such as blockage of the lymph vessels by lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system) or poor blood supply to the small intestine, also reduce absorption.

Symptoms

Symptoms of malabsorption are caused by the increased passage of unabsorbed nutrients through the digestive tract or by the nutritional deficiencies that result from inadequate absorption.

The inadequate absorption of fats in the digestive tract results in stool that is light-colored, soft, bulky, and unusually foul smelling (such stool is called steatorrhea). The stool may float or stick to the side of the toilet bowl and be difficult to flush away. The inadequate absorption of certain sugars can cause explosive diarrhea, abdominal bloating, and flatulence.

Malabsorption can cause deficiencies of all nutrients or selective deficiencies of proteins, fats, sugars, vitamins, or minerals. People with malabsorption usually lose weight. The symptoms vary depending on the specific deficiencies. For example, a protein deficiency can cause swelling (edema) anywhere throughout the body, dry skin, and hair loss.

Diagnosis

A doctor suspects malabsorption when a person has chronic diarrhea, nutritional deficiencies, and substantial weight loss despite a healthy diet. Malabsorption is less obvious and often more difficult to recognize in older people than in younger people.

Laboratory tests can help confirm the diagnosis. Tests that directly measure fat in stool samples collected over 2 or 3 days are the most reliable ones for diagnosing malabsorption of fat, which is present in almost all malabsorption disorders. A finding of more than 7 grams of fat in the stool daily is the hallmark of malabsorption. Several other tests for measuring fat in stool are available that do not require the messy 3-day collection of stool. Other laboratory tests can detect malabsorption of other specific substances, such as lactose or vitamin B12.

Stool samples are examined with the unaided eye as well as under the microscope. Undigested food fragments may mean that food passes through the intestine too rapidly. In a person with jaundice, stool with excess fat indicates decreased production or secretion of bile. Sometimes parasites or their eggs are seen under the microscope, suggesting that malabsorption is caused by a parasitic infection.

A biopsy may be needed to detect abnormalities in the lining of the small intestine. The tissue is removed through an endoscope (a flexible viewing tube equipped with a light source and a small clipper) passed through the mouth and into the small intestine.

Pancreatic function tests are performed if the doctor thinks that the cause of malabsorption may be the insufficient production of digestive enzymes by the pancreas. However, some of these tests are complex, time-consuming, and invasive. In one test, a tube is passed through the mouth and guided to the small intestine, so that intestinal fluids containing pancreatic secretions can be collected and measured. In another test, the person swallows a substance that requires pancreatic enzymes for its digestion. The products of digestion are then measured in the urine.

Bacterial Overgrowth Syndrome

Bacterial overgrowth syndrome is a disorder in which poor movement of intestinal contents allows certain normal intestinal bacteria to grow excessively, causing diarrhea and poor absorption of nutrients (malabsorption).

*Some conditions and disorders slow or stop the movement of contents through the intestines.
*Some people have no symptoms, whereas others have weight loss, nutritional deficiencies, and diarrhea.
*The diagnosis is based on symptoms that occur after people have had certain types of surgery.
*Antibiotics can eliminate the excess bacteria.

The normal steady movement of intestinal contents (peristalsis) is important to help maintain a proper balance of bacteria in the small intestine. Conditions in which intestinal contents slow or pool in one place allow excess bacteria to grow. Such conditions include certain types of surgery on the stomach, intestines, or both. Disorders such as diabetes, systemic sclerosis, and amyloidosis also can slow peristalsis, causing bacterial overgrowth.

The excess bacteria consume nutrients, including vitamin B12 and carbohydrates, leading to lower calorie intake and vitamin B12 deficiency. The bacteria also split bile salts, which are secreted by the liver to aid digestion. The loss of bile salts causes difficulty absorbing fats, leading to diarrhea and poor nutrition.

Some people have few symptoms or only weight loss. Others have severe nutritional deficiencies, diarrhea, or both.

Diagnosis and Treatment

Doctors base the diagnosis on typical symptoms that occur in people who have had certain types of surgery. Sometimes they take a fluid sample from the small intestine by means of a thin plastic tube passed through the nose. Some doctors instead perform breath tests, such as the 14C-xylose breath test. In this test, the person drinks a liquid containing a special, faintly radioactive marker (carbon-14) attached to a sugar (xylose). If the xylose is broken down by the excess bacteria, the carbon-14 can be detected in the person's breath.

Most people get better with antibiotics given by mouth for 10 to 14 days. Doctors prescribe supplements to correct any nutritional deficiencies.

Celiac Sprue
(Nontropical Sprue; Gluten Enteropathy; Celiac Disease)

Celiac sprue (nontropical sprue, gluten enteropathy, celiac disease) is a hereditary intolerance to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and oats, which causes characteristic changes in the lining of the small intestine, resulting in malabsorption.

*The intestinal lining becomes inflamed after a person ingests the protein gluten.
*Symptoms in adults include diarrhea, malnutrition, and weight loss; symptoms in children include abdominal bloating and bulky, very foul-smelling stools.
*The diagnosis is based on typical symptoms and examination of a tissue specimen removed from the lining of the small intestine.
*Most people do well if they maintain a gluten-free diet.

Celiac sprue affects as many as 1 out of 150 people in southwestern Ireland, 1 out of 300 people in Europe, and perhaps 1 out of 250 people in the United States, yet it is extremely rare in Africa, Japan, and China. There is a genetic component. About 10% of people with celiac sprue have a close relative with the disease. In this disease, gluten, a protein found in wheat and, to a lesser extent, barley, rye, and oats, stimulates the immune system to produce certain antibodies. These antibodies damage the inner lining of the small intestine, resulting in flattening of the villi. The resulting smooth surface leads to malabsorption of nutrients. However, the small intestine's normal brushlike surface and function are restored when the person stops eating foods containing gluten.

Symptoms

Some people develop symptoms as children. Others do not develop symptoms until adulthood. The severity of symptoms depends on how much of the small intestine is affected.

Adults with the more classic or typical form of the disease experience diarrhea, malnutrition, and weight loss. However, some people have no digestive symptoms at all. About 10% of people with celiac sprue develop a painful, itchy skin rash with small blisters—a disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (see Blistering Diseases: Dermatitis Herpetiformis _http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec18/ch209/ch209c.html).

In children, symptoms do not appear until foods containing gluten are introduced. Some children experience only mild upset stomach, whereas others develop painful abdominal bloating and have light-colored, unusually foul-smelling, bulky stools (steatorrhea).

The nutritional deficiencies resulting from malabsorption in celiac sprue can cause additional symptoms, which tend to be more prominent in children. Some children develop growth abnormalities, such as short stature. Anemia, causing fatigue and weakness, develops as a result of iron deficiency. Low protein levels in the blood can lead to fluid retention and tissue swelling (edema). Malabsorption of vitamin B12 can lead to nerve damage, causing a pins-and-needles sensation in the arms and legs. Poor calcium absorption results in abnormal bone growth, a higher risk of broken bones, and painful bones and joints. Lack of calcium can also cause tooth discoloration and greater susceptibility to painful tooth decay. Girls with celiac sprue may not have menstrual periods because of a low production of hormones, such as estrogen.

Diagnosis

Doctors suspect the diagnosis when a person has the previously mentioned symptoms. Measurement of the level of specific antibodies produced when a person with celiac sprue consumes gluten is a helpful test. The diagnosis is confirmed by an initial microscopic examination of a biopsy specimen revealing flattened villi of the small intestine and by a subsequent improvement in the lining after the person stops eating foods containing gluten.

Prognosis and Treatment

Although most people do well if they avoid gluten, long-standing celiac sprue can be fatal in a small percentage of people who develop intestinal lymphoma. Whether strictly adhering to a gluten-free diet decreases the risk of long-term complications such as intestinal cancers or lymphoma is not known.

People with celiac sprue must exclude all gluten from their diet, because eating even small amounts may cause symptoms. The response to a gluten-free diet is usually rapid. Once gluten is avoided, the brushlike surface of the small intestine and its absorptive function return to normal. Gluten is so widely used in food products that people with celiac sprue need detailed lists of foods to be avoided and expert advice from a dietitian. Gluten is found, for example, in commercial soups, sauces, ice cream, and hot dogs.

Some people continue to have symptoms even when gluten is avoided. In such cases, either the diagnosis is incorrect or the disease has progressed to a condition called refractory celiac sprue. In refractory celiac sprue, treatment with corticosteroids, such as prednisone, may help. In rare cases, if there is no response to either gluten withdrawal or drug treatment, intravenous feeding is needed. Sometimes children are seriously ill when first diagnosed and need a period of intravenous feeding before starting a gluten-free diet.

Intestinal Lymphangiectasia
(Idiopathic Hypoproteinemia)

Intestinal lymphangiectasia (idiopathic hypoproteinemia) is a disorder in which the lymph vessels supplying the lining of the small intestine become enlarged and obstructed.

*This disorder is the result of improperly formed lymph vessels.
*Diarrhea is the main symptom.
*The diagnosis is based on the results of a biopsy.
*Once the specific cause of the disorder is treated, following a low-fat, high-protein diet and taking supplements can help manage symptoms.

The lymph vessels from the digestive tract carry digested fats that were absorbed by the small intestine. Sometimes, these lymph vessels are improperly formed at birth, causing them to be enlarged. Less commonly, these lymph vessels may enlarge later in life as a result of such conditions as inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) or stiffening of the sac that envelops the heart (constrictive pericarditis). The enlarged lymph vessels carry lymphatic fluid poorly, and the fluid leaks back into the intestine, preventing fat and proteins from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

Symptoms and Diagnosis

A person with intestinal lymphangiectasia has diarrhea. Nausea, vomiting, fatty stools, and abdominal pain may also develop. The person may also have swelling (edema) if lymph vessels elsewhere in the body are blocked.

Levels of protein in the blood are low. The low protein levels result in tissue swelling. The number of lymphocytes in the blood is decreased, and cholesterol levels in the blood may be normal or low.

The diagnosis is established by a biopsy of the small intestine showing enlargement of the lymph vessels. Measurement of a certain protein, called alpha1-antitrypsin, in the stool can indicate the severity of protein loss into the intestines.

Treatment

When intestinal lymphangiectasia is caused by a specific condition, the underlying condition is treated. Symptoms can be helped by eating a low-fat, high-protein diet and taking supplements of calcium, vitamins, and certain triglycerides (medium-chain triglycerides), which are absorbed directly into the blood and not through the lymph vessels.

Lactose Intolerance

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest the sugar lactose (which is present in all dairy products) because of a deficiency of the digestive enzyme lactase, leading to diarrhea and abdominal cramping.

*Lactose intolerance is caused by a lack of the enzyme lactase.
*Children have diarrhea and may not gain weight, whereas adults have abdominal bloating, cramps, diarrhea, flatulence, nausea, audible bowel sounds (borborygmi), and an urgent need to have a bowel movement.
*The diagnosis is based on recognizing that symptoms occur after a person has consumed dairy products.
*Treatment involves taking supplemental lactase enzymes and avoiding lactose, particularly in dairy products.

Lactose, the predominant sugar found in milk and other dairy products, is broken down by the enzyme lactase, which is produced by the cells in the inner lining of the small intestine. Lactase breaks down lactose, a complex sugar, into its two components, glucose and galactose. These simple sugars are then absorbed into the bloodstream through the intestinal wall. If lactase is lacking, lactose cannot be digested and absorbed. The resulting high concentration of lactose draws fluid into the small intestine, causing diarrhea. The unabsorbed lactose then passes into the large intestine, where it is fermented by bacteria, resulting in flatulence and acidic stool.

Lactase levels are high in infants, permitting them to digest milk. However, in most ethnic groups (80% of blacks and Hispanics, almost 100% of Asians), lactase levels decrease after weaning. These decreased levels mean that older children and adults in these ethnic groups are unable to digest much lactose. However, 80 to 85% of whites of Northwest European descent produce lactase throughout life and are thus able to digest milk and milk products as adults. Therefore, because of the ethnic composition of the U.S. population, it is likely that between 30 million and 50 million people in the United States are lactose intolerant. It is interesting to note that this "intolerance" is really the normal state for more than 75% of the world's population.

Intolerances to other sugars can also occur but are relatively rare. For example, a lack of the enzyme sucrase prevents the sugar sucrose from being absorbed into the bloodstream, and a lack of the enzymes maltase and isomaltase prevents the sugar maltose from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

Symptoms

People with lactose intolerance usually cannot tolerate milk and other dairy products, all of which contain lactose. Some people recognize this early in life and consciously or unconsciously avoid dairy products.

A child who is lactose intolerant has diarrhea and may not gain weight when milk is part of the diet. An adult may have abdominal bloating, cramps, diarrhea, flatulence, nausea, audible bowel sounds (borborygmi), and an urgent need to have a bowel movement between 30 minutes and 2 hours after eating a meal containing lactose. For some people, severe diarrhea may prevent proper absorption of nutrients because they are expelled from the body too quickly. However, the symptoms that result from lactose intolerance are usually mild. In contrast, symptoms that result from malabsorption in such conditions as celiac disease, tropical sprue, and infections of the intestine are more severe.

Diagnosis and Treatment

A doctor suspects lactose intolerance when a person has symptoms after consuming dairy products. If a 3- to 4-week trial period of a diet free of dairy products eliminates the symptoms, the diagnosis is confirmed. Specific tests are rarely necessary.

Lactose intolerance can be controlled through diet by avoiding foods containing lactose, primarily dairy products. Lactase enzymes are available in liquid and tablet forms without a prescription and can be added to milk. Lactose-reduced milk and other products are available at many supermarkets. People who must avoid dairy products should take calcium supplements to prevent calcium deficiency.

Short Bowel Syndrome

Short bowel syndrome is a disorder causing diarrhea and poor absorption of nutrients (malabsorption), which often occurs after surgical removal of a large portion of the small intestine.

*This disorder often occurs after a large part of the small intestine is removed.
*Diarrhea is the main symptom.
*After surgery, people are given food and fluids by vein (intravenously).
*Some people must continue the intravenous feedings for life.
*Drugs such as loperamide Some Trade Names IMODIUM and cholestyramine Some Trade Names QUESTRAN can help reduce diarrhea.

Common reasons for removing a large portion of small intestine are Crohn's disease, a blockage of an artery that supplies blood to a large part of the intestine (mesenteric infarction), inflammation of the intestine caused by radiation (radiation enteritis), cancer, a twisted loop of intestine (volvulus), and birth defects.

Most digestion and absorption of food takes place in the small intestine. The consequences of removing a portion of the small intestine depend on how much is removed and its location. If the middle part (jejunum) is removed, sometimes the last part (ileum) can adapt and absorb more nutrients. If more than about 3 feet (1 yard or 1 meter) of ileum is removed, the remaining small intestine usually cannot adapt. Before adaptation occurs, or if it does not, the intestines have difficulty absorbing many nutrients, including fats, proteins, and vitamins. The intestines also cannot absorb bile acids secreted by the liver, which aid digestion.

Malabsorption causes diarrhea, typically beginning immediately after the surgery. Later, people develop malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies.

Treatment

Immediately after surgery, when diarrhea is typically severe, doctors give intravenous fluids to replace losses and usually also give intravenous feedings. These feedings, called total parenteral nutrition (TPN), contain all necessary nutrients, including proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. As people recover and their stool output lessens, they are slowly given fluids by mouth.

The small intestine is about 12 to 21 feet (4 to 7 yards or meters) in length. People who have had a large amount of small intestine removed (such as those with less than 3.3 feet [100 centimeters] of remaining jejunum) and those who continue to have excessive fluid losses require TPN for life. Others eventually tolerate food by mouth. The recommended diet usually has more fat and protein than carbohydrate. Small, frequent meals are better than fewer, large ones.

People who have diarrhea after meals should take antidiarrheal drugs such as loperamide Some Trade Names IMODIUM 1 hour before eating. Cholestyramine Some Trade Names
QUESTRAN can be taken with meals to reduce diarrhea caused by malabsorption of bile acid. Most people should take supplemental vitamins, calcium, and magnesium. Some people require monthly injections of vitamin B12.

Small-intestine transplantation is an alternative for people who do not adapt to their short bowel and who cannot tolerate long-term TPN.

Tropical Sprue

Tropical sprue is a disorder of unknown cause affecting people living in tropical and subtropical areas who develop abnormalities of the lining of the small intestine, leading to malabsorption and deficiencies of many nutrients.

*This disorder might be caused by an infection, but the real cause is not known.
*Typical symptoms include anemia, light-colored stools, chronic diarrhea, and weight loss.
*A doctor bases the diagnosis on symptoms in a person who lives in or has recently visited one of the areas in which the disorder commonly occurs.
*The antibiotic tetracycline Some Trade Names SUMYCIN treats the disorder.

Tropical sprue occurs chiefly in the Caribbean, southern India, and Southeast Asia. Both natives and visitors may be affected, but children are rarely affected. The cause is unknown, but available evidence suggests an infectious cause.

Symptoms and Diagnosis

Light-colored stools, chronic diarrhea, and weight loss are typical symptoms of tropical sprue. Other symptoms of malabsorption of specific nutrients may also develop. A sore tongue develops from vitamin B2 deficiency. Anemia usually develops as a result of iron, vitamin B12, or folate (folic acid) deficiency, causing fatigue and weakness.

A doctor considers the diagnosis of tropical sprue in a person with anemia and symptoms of malabsorption who lives in or has recently visited one of the areas in which the disorder commonly occurs. X-rays of the small intestine may or may not be abnormal. An endoscopic biopsy (in which a tissue sample is obtained through a flexible tube and examined microscopically) of the small intestine can show some characteristic but not specific abnormalities. A stool sample may be analyzed to exclude parasites or bacteria as a cause.

Treatment

A person suspected of having tropical sprue is treated with an antibiotic. Tetracycline Some Trade Names SUMYCIN is given over several months. Nutritional supplements, especially folate and vitamin B12, are given as needed. Treatment usually results in a full recovery.

Whipple's Disease
(Intestinal Lipodystrophy)

Whipple's disease (intestinal lipodystrophy) is the result of a rare bacterial infection that damages the lining of the small intestine and may involve other organs of the body.

*This disease is caused by a bacterial infection.
*Typical symptoms include diarrhea, inflamed and painful joints, fever, and skin darkening.
*The diagnosis is based on the results of different biopsies.
*If left untreated, the disease is progressive and fatal.
*Antibiotics can eliminate the infection, but the disease can recur.

Whipple's disease affects mainly white men aged 30 to 60. It is caused by an infection with the organism Tropheryma whippelii. The infection usually involves the small intestine but can affect other organs, such as the heart, lung, brain, joints, and eye.

Symptoms

Symptoms of Whipple's disease include diarrhea, inflamed and painful joints, fever, and skin darkening. Severe malabsorption results in weight loss along with fatigue and weakness caused by anemia. Other common symptoms are abdominal pain, cough, and pain when breathing caused by inflammation of the membrane layers covering the lungs (pleura). Fluid may collect in the space between the pleural layers (a condition called pleural effusion—see Pleural Disorders: Pleural Effusion). The lymph nodes may become enlarged. People with Whipple's disease may develop heart murmurs. Confusion, memory loss, or uncontrolled eye movements indicate that the infection has spread to the brain. If left untreated, the disease is progressive and fatal.

Diagnosis and Treatment

A doctor can make the diagnosis of Whipple's disease when an endoscopic biopsy (in which a tissue sample is obtained through a flexible tube and examined microscopically) of the small intestine or a biopsy of an enlarged lymph node shows the bacteria.

Whipple's disease can be cured with antibiotics. Usually people are given ceftriaxone Some Trade Names ROCEPHIN initially by vein, followed by trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole Some Trade Names BACTRIMSEPTRA taken orally for at least 12 months. Symptoms subside rapidly. Despite initial response to antibiotics, however, the disease can recur.

Ok....so those are some of the things medical science lists as causing malabsorbtion....given all I've done so far would rule all but the lymphatic one (although I don't have any of those symptoms) out for me.
I've not done the UltraSimple diet yet (due to worries about loosing more weight) so its possible that something (and it may even be my houses water supply as I'm drinking unfiltered water) is causing my guts to speed up transit to get rid of something....

So I had a look for something to slow transit down.

_http://www.springerlink.com/content/u86205v3465g4557/
Abstract Chronic diarrhea may occur when gastrointestinal transit is abnormally rapid. We hypothesized that oleic acid given prior to a meal would slow gastrointestinal transit and reduce diarrhea by activating nutrient-triggered inhibitory feedback mechanisms in the small intestine. Transit time was measured in eight normal subjects following ingestion of a control emulsion (0 ml oleic acid), and in 45 patients with chronic diarrhea following ingestion of emulsions containing 0, 1.6, and 3.2 ml oleic acid. Stool volume and frequency on and off treatment were compared. Transit time in normal subjects was 102.4 ± 11.2 min (mean ± se). Transit times in patients was shorter at 29.3 ± 2.8 min with the 0-ml dose (P < 0.001), but increased to 57.2 ± 4.5 min with the 1.6-ml dose and to 83.3 ± 5.2 min with the 3.2-ml dose (P < 0.001). In the 18 patients who provided stool records, frequency of bowel movements decreased from 6.9 ± 0.8 to 5.4 ± 0.9 bowel movements/24 hr (P < 0.05) and stool volume decreased from 1829.0 ± 368.6 to 1322.5 ± 256.9 ml/24 hr with treatment (P < 0.05). An emulsion containing oleic acid slowed gastrointestinal transit and reduced diarrhea by activating nutrient-triggered inhibitory feedback mechanisms in the small intestine.

Oleic Acid?

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleic_acid
Oleic acid is a mono-unsaturated omega-9 fatty acid found in various animal and vegetable sources. It has the formula CH3(CH2)7CH=CH(CH2)7COOH.[2] The trans-isomer of oleic acid is called elaidic acid.
The term Oleic means related to, or derived from, oil or olive.

Occurrence

Triglyceride esters of oleic acid comprise the majority of olive oil, though there may be less than 2.0% as actual free acid in the virgin olive oil, while higher concentrations make the olive oil inedible. It also makes up 36-67% of peanut oil,[3] 15-20% of grape seed oil, sea buckthorn oil, and sesame oil, [4] and 14% of poppyseed oil.[5]

Oleic acid is the most abundant fatty acid in human adipose tissue.[6]

So.....I got myself a really nice first press extra virgin organic olive oil and started making the buckwheat pancakes (that I have for breakfast and lunch) with liberal helpings of that, and have been including a liberal dash of olive oil on my evening meal too (roughly 3-6 tea spoons).
Its to early to say if this has fixed the problem (and it may just be treating the symptoms), but from 3 days of doing this I have noticed the following:
* Digestive transit time is down to roughly 22 hours (breakfast yesterday is expelled at breakfast today).
* Energy levels are up and consistant
* I'm less hungry
* My weight has gone up by a few pounds (to early to tell if that's a trend or a blip, will keep you posted)
* My joints ache less
* I don't feel the need to stay in bed and sleep all day
* I can focus and think more clearly...and generally Do more
* Skin, hair and nails seem to have had a sudden and dramatic growth spurt....I have a heck of a lot of dry skin pealing off me I didn't know I had

Its too early to draw any real/useful conclusions, but as I've had such a dramatic change in my energy levels I thought it best to post this asap for others to explore rather than waiting for my own results.

My current conclusion is that this is one step in many that will help with a problem with many causes.....gluten, dairy and sugar probably caused things to pass through quicker.....taking too much vitamin C, magnesium and other supplements can cause things to move too quickly.....eating something that's causing inflammation (that I haven't deduced yet) may well be causing this rapid transit to persist....alternatively its just my guts default responce to years of moving quickly because of the poisons in our diet.

Well, its been a few weeks so thought I best give an update.
Turns out that this helped but did not address the problem of being severely under weight.....my sister looked at the amount I was eating and worked out that I wasn't eating enough food!!
It may sound odd, but I always based the amount of food I ate on how hungry I was....seems I've not been hungry enough to hold/gain weight for a long time.
Now that I'm eating enough I can see why my body probably wasn't hungry.....After an initial positive few days I ended up having a huge inflammatory reaction (although I'm still not sure if this was purely due to the extra food being consumed, or the result of ongoing external stress...or both).

Being mostly inflammation free (with the possible exception of my small intestine) this knocked me for six....and is why I've not been able to post much on the forum for the last few weeks.

I've been taking slippery elm with my meals and its helped calm my intestines down....between that and the increase of food my weight is slowly stabilising.
The problem remains of now being chronically inflamed....

Some thoughts.....eating more may be showing up adrenal fatigue (among other things)....calming my guts may be allowing food into my body that was only inflaming my guts in the first place.
Trying to do all this from the starting point of being really underweight rules out (although I could be wrong?) doing the ultra simple diet.....doing any kind of anti-candida diet (Although I don't think this is a problem at the moment??) would be impossible without ending up anorexic. osit
I seem to be allergic to pretty much everything (including the large amount of buckwheat pancakes I cook in ghee each day)...although I should probably cut out bananas again and see if I improve...hmm
I did cut out the detox shake and quite a few supplement over the last few weeks just in case one of them was causing the weight loss....rereading over the diet section/doing my own reading and it really struck me last night how much all my symptoms (through out my life) scream heavy metal poisoning (despite not having fillings...although my mum does).
Taking a drink of NAC/MSM/ALA with vitamin c last night seemed to really improve things for a while...so this is now my current working hypothesis. The biggest source of inflammation always feels to be at the start of my small intestines/bile duct....so may be a food allergy, but could also be the responce to my body trying to get rid of heavy metals only to have them damage the intestine....this is something I hadn't considered until now.

Better start doing more to eliminate heavy metals before things get any worse.

Just an observation: my experiments with DMSO taken orally indicate that it is a powerful antioxidant/chelator. It also has a profound calming/healing effect on the gut. I take it once a week, on Saturday, one teaspoon in a glass of water first thing in the morning.

Also, L-Glutamine mixed in a little water can calm the gut.

The Ultra simple diet is not really a weight-loss thing because you CAN eat as much as you can eat. It can also be slightly modified. If you will just stay away from dairy, gluten, nightshades, lectins (as in rice and beans), and stick with meats - chicken, turkey, fish, (other seafood if tolerated), even pork like organic ham and bacon, and plenty of veggies including sweet potatoes with ghee and olive oil drizzled on them, minimize the buckwheat and maybe substitute quinoa and have quinoa pastas and so forth, you should be okay.

Of course, everybody is different and you have to find your right combination. It is very important to eat in the morning to alleviate adrenal fatigue, so make your morning meal very substantial. Also, eat plenty of fruit. Tapioca puddings are nice made with rice milk and xylitol and fruit mixed in.

I've experimented with making fruit cobblers. This is pretty successful.

Keep us posted.

The biggest source of inflammation always feels to be at the start of my small intestines/bile duct

This seemed to be my problem, at the peak weight gain after I had a stroke in 2005. It felt like there was a rush to the dinner plate, for what ever was living in my intestines. Eating raw garlic would have profound effects on this bloated feeling. If I feel stuffed up now, the raw garlic also gets rid of the ____?, mucous.

Now, living close to a microwave tower, I have a Rum, Lemon, Cinnamon, Honey & Butter, or two, tea before bed. Last night I was feeling ? and had two with 8 year old Rum, which also means two lemons. Well, I started coughing a dry cough after the second one and after a half of an hour the mucous was just pouring out of me. I slept through the night for seven hours without getting up. That is a first for quite a while now as I usually get up a couple of times.

I need to work on reducing parasites, which seems to improve my health. The one I am having trouble with now, seems to be thread worms. I did have a big problem accepting the fact that I had parasites like this, but once I started working on these guys(2008), my health has been gradually improving. Also a serious reduction of gluten and sugar for the past two months has helped.

Laura said:
Just an observation: my experiments with DMSO taken orally indicate that it is a powerful antioxidant/chelator. It also has a profound calming/healing effect on the gut. I take it once a week, on Saturday, one teaspoon in a glass of water first thing in the morning.

Also, L-Glutamine mixed in a little water can calm the gut.

Thanks Laura, I'll look into getting some DMSO and see how things go.
I had been adding L-Glutamine to my morning shakes for the last few months, but stopped the shakes to try and find out if they where contributing to my weight loss.

Laura said:
The Ultra simple diet is not really a weight-loss thing because you CAN eat as much as you can eat. It can also be slightly modified. If you will just stay away from dairy, gluten, nightshades, lectins (as in rice and beans), and stick with meats - chicken, turkey, fish, (other seafood if tolerated), even pork like organic ham and bacon, and plenty of veggies including sweet potatoes with ghee and olive oil drizzled on them, minimize the buckwheat and maybe substitute quinoa and have quinoa pastas and so forth, you should be okay.

Of course, everybody is different and you have to find your right combination. It is very important to eat in the morning to alleviate adrenal fatigue, so make your morning meal very substantial. Also, eat plenty of fruit. Tapioca puddings are nice made with rice milk and xylitol and fruit mixed in.

I've experimented with making fruit cobblers. This is pretty successful.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice.....I guess having black and white thinking is part of the inflammation because I was sure the untra-simple diet wouldn't be adequate for some reason?? How very odd......thanks for clearing that up!
I always try and have a good breakfast...am now eating at least twice as much at breakfast now than I use too. Will be having a go at fruit cobblers. :)
I'd forgotten about lectins (especially rice)....I'd been using rice milk in my shakes......when I stopped those (and was trying to eat more) I started making the buckwheat pancakes with the rice milk (before making them with tap water....wondering if the tap water was causing inflammation, had forgotten buckwheat has some lectins).....so I cut out the rice milk and bananas (I'd been having store bought smoothies with bananas in too as a detox shake replacement) and my inflammation has dropped right off!!
Trying to pay attention to what my body was telling me and noticed that my teeth are getting worse again....lack of calcium? I'd also been a bit pale recently...lack of iron?? I'd read recently the NAC/MSM etc can strip many metals/minerals (not just heavy metals)....given I'd been adding it to my shake for as long as I'd been having it and not probably doing enough to replace the lost minerals my teeth problems (And others problems) seem more obvious now.
I've been taking a multimineral I had stopped taking the last few days and have found that it is making me feel remarkably better!
Probably not the best way to learn that lesson (if you do a metal detox, replace the ones your body needs!!!) but consider it learnt!!!! Never thought lack of something my body needed could cause inflammation.

WIN 52 said:
The biggest source of inflammation always feels to be at the start of my small intestines/bile duct

This seemed to be my problem, at the peak weight gain after I had a stroke in 2005. It felt like there was a rush to the dinner plate, for what ever was living in my intestines. Eating raw garlic would have profound effects on this bloated feeling. If I feel stuffed up now, the raw garlic also gets rid of the ____?, mucous.

Now, living close to a microwave tower, I have a Rum, Lemon, Cinnamon, Honey & Butter, or two, tea before bed. Last night I was feeling ? and had two with 8 year old Rum, which also means two lemons. Well, I started coughing a dry cough after the second one and after a half of an hour the mucous was just pouring out of me. I slept through the night for seven hours without getting up. That is a first for quite a while now as I usually get up a couple of times.

I need to work on reducing parasites, which seems to improve my health. The one I am having trouble with now, seems to be thread worms. I did have a big problem accepting the fact that I had parasites like this, but once I started working on these guys(2008), my health has been gradually improving. Also a serious reduction of gluten and sugar for the past two months has helped.

Hi WIN 52. I remember when I was still drinking the occasional bit of alcohol last year that it would (initially) calm my guts too. Unfortunately most being grain based, and also containing sugar/yeast....not to mention being a poison added to my already toxic body, any alcohol would leave me inflamed the next day.

I'll go through my thinking on the bile duct, hopefully it'll be of help to others.
I'd read about needing more fat in your diet.....I noticed with using the olive oil I was getting pain in my right side. Realising I needed to eat more having a large amount of buckwheat pancakes (cooked in ghee) only made this pain worse.....but it was only when I ate fatty foods.
I already knew that fat triggers the release of bile, so looked up gall stones and inflamed bile ducts/inflamed liver (as my liver was starting to feel inflamed too).
I'd had this pain on many occasions in the past (it was becoming a stabbing pain in my right side)....but had forgotton about it.
Found a website (can't find the link right now, but its saved somewhere) patients who had there gall bladders out (to remove gall stones), but kept experiencing the pain where actually experiencing a blocked bile duct due to inflamed intestine/food allergies.
So before having my pancakes one morning (the fat being the trigger it seemed) I took two slippery elm tablets (to calm my guts), magnesium (to open the bile duct), zinc (to calm/heal the guts), vitamin C (helps dissolve gall stones) and milk thistle (helps the liver)....well that was interesting, the pain vanished and about 20 minutes after my food I experienced 'popping' on my right side (like cracking your knuckles)....massaging my right side helped....perhaps I had gall stones I just got rid of??
I felt a heck of a lot better after than for sure and the inflammation in my guts went down for a while.....it was the inflammation everywhere else that then became a problem.
Have been taking slippery elm with meals ever since, but may not need to all the time (it also may be masking inflammation from food.....but it is at least reducing it considerably).
This may be something you want to check out WIN 52??

Hopefully I've got more of a handle on things now (thanks for the input!)....I'm certainly feeling more my old self.
I always find it supprising that bringing problems to the forum seems to help them resolve faster, even if the cause isn't found by others.....the sharing seems really important! So thanks again :flowers:
I'll keep you all posted on how things go.

Many effects, but what is the cause?

I have been doing the lemon cleanse for 2 weeks now, while taking Acai and pro-biotics. You don't need to put the rum in. I drank it without alcohol also. Right at the moment, the alcohol seems to help with my night sleep time by confusing the matrix a bit. I had a feed of pickled beets before supper last evening and then 2 minutes later coughed up 1/4 cup of stringy red "gorp".

The lemons seem to help with elimination. I also eat raw garlic, which gets a similar reaction of coughing up gorp. The volumes that have been eliminated recently are reducing and I am not stuffed up in the morning now. I get a chuckle out of luring them out ... I have a chocolate bar(once or twice a month) then cough out chocolaty strings of gorp by the 1/4 cup full.

The bottom line seems to be proper digestion of nutrients taken in. That seems to be the main focus of parasites, to alter your digestive system in order to feed them selves. Mine seem to be starving and coming out looking for food before my body digests it. Strange, when I started detox I could sense a big "NO" from my body whenever I took pills, now, I just get a sensation that I am starving while eating 3 meals a day and gradually loosing weight. Currently 5'11" and 210lbs.(was up to 250 lbs 3 years ago) The "flukes" are the flat parasites about the size of a quarter with a hook on each end. There are also smaller ones, the size of dimes, complete with hooks. These guys clamp on to the insides of your intestines..

Laura said:
minimize the buckwheat and maybe substitute quinoa and have quinoa pastas and so forth, you should be okay.

I love Quinoa here some Peruvian recipes, there in Spanish but I'm sure you can use a translator or a friend :cool2:

http://www.yanuq.com/buscador.asp?idreceta=2131
http://www.cocinarica.com/2008/05/recetas-de-cocina-tamal-de-quinua.html
http://www.gastronomiaperu.com/recetas.de.cocina/receta.php?d=830

:) :)

EDU

Very helpful information RedFox!

Ive recently noticed that i have Keratosis pilaris on my arms, upon looking into it it can be caused, or worsened, by lack of dietary fat and or Vitamin A deficiency. Or simply: Malabsorbtion.
So it lead me to this post.
When i realized i take all the supplements recommended, and on the ''Symptoms of Nutrient Deficiencies'' you posted, i was quite confused. And to be totally honest, ive never felt much improvement from supplementation apart from when i began the paleo and keto diet. (Not that i expected to become superman with afew pills ;))

Linking this in with the information about digestive transit times and stool, it looks asif i am suffering from Malabsorbtion. Which is most likely causing me to stay underweight regardless of diet changes.

As suggested, i have started taking L-Glutamine prior to meals, and also including olive oil with food. And already i can see that i am not as 'full' (i dont bloat, but feel quite stuffed from many sized meals) even while having the extra bit of fat and a glass more of water. Also ordered some slippery elm and will be getting some DMSO to have orally aswell as i was unaware it could be consumed.

My diet is a rather simple one, and has been for a long time. Mainly pork through the week, and alternative meats on the weekened; steak/duck/lamb, all of which eaten with fatbomb - which we have recently reduced the xylitol added to it significantly. About twice a week i have carrots and swede, as these are the only vegetables i enjoy.
Most of my meals i have with pork lard/goose fat/beef dripping on top of it. So sometimes this can pass through me quite quick, or it moves the last meal along to make room for digestion.
Dark chocolate is consumed time to time, and the odd coffee, but i have green tea every morning before work. Other than that i have no gluten, dairy (not even butter for 2+ months), or nut products. So the only thing i can now narrow it down to is the lack of absorption/gut damage and Candida. Ive also ordered Candida Cure by Ann Boroch to get more insight on that, as i am lacking on the basic details and procedures of Candida.

With the malabsorbtion, as a relatively decent amount of fat cannot be handled all the time, would it be worth backing up on the fat or to an amount that my body is actually comfortable to digest? Im weary about dropping the fat calories and loosing more weight or overall energy as i do quite abit of physical exertion day to day with work.

Back
Top Bottom