What do you do, when your body is in discomfort?

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hi there,

I wondered today what other forumites would do, when they are suffering pain, or the body is in an unpleasant mood?
Because I like too to dissociate a lot when I'm feeling discomfort: dizziness, burning, stomach ache, high bloodsugar... and actually it is a daily experience in my life to run through all sorts of unnerving body experiences, where then I like to watch movies and wait until I'm feeling better.

Well, but I thought today or I'm thinking since a longer time, maybe I'm missing there experiences just to "watch and learn", that means to observe myself? Or shall I try harder, still doing what I have to do (learning etc.)?
What I discovered so far, I'm not having the best relationship to my body, mostly fighting against it, or I'm afraid of pain and even listening to my heart beat.

So my question is, what do you do or have done when your body is in discomfort?

Hi Gawan. It sounds like your body is inflamed. Finding ways to reduce the inflammation would be the way to go. Anti-inflammatories like DMSO (i think but get it confused with DMSA) or slippery elm. FIR sauna. Magnesium oil. Etc. Also finding out what is causing it - i.e. the elimination diet. The E-E program helps no end to. Hope that helps. P.S. Sorry i can't expand much (or break up the paragraphs) am replying on my phone.

Hello Gawan, I don't know if this will help but, when my body is suffering, I simply try to lay down, take deep breaths and meditate in order to experience the pain the most as I can, in order to learn something from it. I used to fight the pain over and over, but I've realised that when you let it be, when you give pain some SPACE, the intensity may increase a bit and then lessen deeply.

Furthermore, when you experience pain, you experience a new realm of your body, noticing that there are now parts of it you did not even noticed before. May not be funny with you heart, for instance, but still now you can hear it's trying to "tell" you something.
Then maybe you realise that there is less and less distinction between your pain and YOU, so that maybe you can master it, talk to it, learn from it and see what's happening.

Well, this is not an advice, but simply my experience and I truly hope it will be of any help.

When I am in pain, I look for the solution to get rid of it. That's what pain is for: a warning signal that something isn't right. Find it and fix it. And sometimes you need to take pain relievers to break the cycle. For somebody who has spent most of her life in pain, I really don't do pain well.

I'm with Laura on this - find it and fix it!!

As someone who has never experienced much physical pain (save for a couple broken bones and the worst thing ever, a pinched nerve. My chiropractor says this pain makes grown men cry and some to commit suicide. Indeed, it was horrific)....so when I get any pain, I immediately heed the bodies warning and look for the cure.

Love your heart, Laura, I can't imagine what you've suffered.

I wondered today what other forumites would do, when they are suffering pain, or the body is in an unpleasant mood?

Well, it depends on where the pain is located, and what is causing it.

I have MS, and that means pain will crop up in unusual places and may or may not last. After that, there are a host of other sources: allergies, osteo arthritis, psoratic arthritis, spondylosis (degenerative spinal arthritis), migraine, etc. Its hard to pin down just what's going on where. ;)

Since starting a restricted diet, its been easier to treat different kinds of pain, but the main thing I turn to first is Pipe Breath. It helps get me through it when the pain is bad, and after doing about a half dozen breaths its possible to think and figure out what to try next.

When its muscular spasms: Pipe breath and then liquid magnesium with liquid glucosamine/chondriotin. Using the recumbent bike slowly, using the rolling walker to do 'laps' round the house, again, slowly.

Migraine: Pipe breath, half a cup of coffee to a full cup. (This hit me this morning because I slept in and didn't have any coffee.) :(

Nerve pain: Pipe breath, POTS. This is a long term project for diet and detox, and there are no chemical remedies for it that don't make the condition worse.

Malaise/Fatigue, and in general feeling like crap on toast: Pipe Breath, mild exercise, and when it really gets ridiculous I swear the bark off my cane. :D The swearing often leads me to the program causing the current issue for observation. This is an individual thing, it may not work for everyone.

The most basic point to keep in mind? Attitude is everything.

Pain is a sign that something is wrong and one needs to pay attention to find it. I know that the majority of my pain is not an easy fix, and didn't happen overnight, and it won't be fixed overnight, and it may never be fixed at all. That means that when I hurt, its pointing to all the programs and other unhealthy things that put me in this position to begin with.

This can be used to assist you with the Work. It is not easy, but it can be done. Its hard to put into words....but pain is currently one of the ways I Work...following it back to source helps me root out programs and other problems to observe and deal with, often things I thought were long dealt with. My social contacts are dismal, and I'm basically a shut in, so how to do the Work? Pain is one of those ways.

Hope this helps. :)

LissyLou said:

You can add me to the 'find it and fix it' boat. Whether its roots are physical or emotional in nature, they are so interrelated that working at both is usually important. Not liking pain is usually a good motivator.

Thank you all for the input.

LissyLou said:

I'm working on it and trying to find the source of it!

Andromeda said:
Not liking pain is usually a good motivator.

Sometimes I'm not sure if I may enjoy the pain also, because I can use it as an excuse not doing things. Somehow I have mixed feelings about it, on the one hand I really like to get rid of it and on the other, as I said, I use it as an excuse.

ISOTM said:
Another thing that people must sacrifice is their suffering. It is very difficult also to sacrifice one's suffering. A man will renounce any pleasures you like but he will not give up his suffering. Man is made in such a way that he is never so much attached to anything as he is to his suffering. And it is necessary to be free from suffering. No one who is not free from suffering, who has not sacrificed his suffering, can work. Later on a great deal must be said about suffering. Nothing can be attained without suffering but at the same time one must begin by sacrificing suffering. Now, decipher what this means.

Somehow I can relate myself to this statement.

RedFox said:
Hi Gawan. It sounds like your body is inflamed. Finding ways to reduce the inflammation would be the way to go. Anti-inflammatories like DMSO (i think but get it confused with DMSA) or slippery elm. FIR sauna. Magnesium oil. Etc. Also finding out what is causing it - i.e. the elimination diet. The E-E program helps no end to. Hope that helps. P.S. Sorry i can't expand much (or break up the paragraphs) am replying on my phone.

I will see how the anti-candida war is going, yesterday I could integrate probiotics and they seem to be of help.

Hi Gawan,

I can't give much of an answer - what I do is not really the best approach but it works for me. I suffer from daily headaches that are related to my tummy. With the diet I'm doing much better but still, some days, just for no reason it seems, a headache will invite itself. Sometimes identifying what causes it can take time and experimentation- when I am in pain I simply ignore it (well simply is simply said) and do some work and some reading. I a way, doing some reading may be a dissociation from the pain in the same way you would dissociate by watching a movie. So, I too would probably agree with Laura- trying to fix the problem rather than ignore it. I don't take painkillers because the pain is still tolerable but if you are in big pain for extended periods, maybe a temporary relief would be a good idea until you can identify the problem.

The irony of it all, I think, is when you are constantly in pain, and when you are finally able to manage it and ignore it, then when you feel better you are feeling like doing something to dissociate, instead of doing some work. It happens with me so often that I can work quite good when I feel bad and when I don't, I tend to dissociate - heck ... is just the other way around.

I wish you well Gawan.

Gawan said:
Sometimes I'm not sure if I may enjoy the pain also, because I can use it as an excuse not doing things. Somehow I have mixed feelings about it, on the one hand I really like to get rid of it and on the other, as I said, I use it as an excuse.

Well, using pain as an excuse not to do stuff is probably a result of inflammation of the brain. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you will WANT to do once your brain inflammation is gone... along with body inflammation.

It's so interesting to me lately to stroll around the yard and really appreciate the fact that I can do this and not think "oh, I hurt... gotta sit down..." I can stroll and do some weeding, walk here and there, walk around the house, do all kinds of things that are really simple but I just couldn't do them that often before. I would spend days never going downstairs because I just couldn't face the pain in my legs and back. Now I must go up and down those stairs ten or more times a day and cruise around and do stuff at both levels. It's a good thing!

Problem was, my brain wanted to do so much and my body just couldn't handle it. Now, my brain does not seem so obsessed as it was before and that is also interesting.

I know a while back I stated that I was gonna lay low and observe but reading this this thread,,, well I have to comment. Sometimes what a person goes through just ain’t gonna simply and quickly go away. As Gimpy said and I agree, the best hope I see is long term diet, detox, breathing & meditation. I need patience I guess and stay on course. And of course I work with a wonderful homeopath. It is sad that TPTB law dictates she cannot help me in the manner she desires, but “F” the gubement, we do talk and we are working on things.!.!.! Never in my short life here have I paid so much attention & cared for what goes into my body… to no avail, so far,,, I DO have hope and I refuse to accept I will live with varying degree of pain for the rest of my life. WHAT DO I DO? Well, again what Gimpy states is the best for me:

The most basic point to keep in mind? Attitude is everything.

Using breathing, meditation, and diet seems to mask my inner emotions, so far... They appear controlled but also seem to build up until BLAM,,, the dam breaks and all those emotions flood out in a burst of energy. I have not been able to consistently let the emotions out in a conscious, controlled manner. Logic, reason, & understanding appear, to me, to hold down emotional release until the dam bursts with uncontrollable electrifying results. The flood does subside, I regain control, until the next event…

edit: I kinda feel like Mr Spock in a Star Trek episode where every 8 years or so the vulcans lose their logic (mind) and crazily strive to complete a mating ritual...

Al Today said:
I know a while back I stated that I was gonna lay low and observe but reading this this thread,,, well I have to comment. Sometimes what a person goes through just ain’t gonna simply and quickly go away. As Gimpy said and I agree, the best hope I see is long term diet, detox, breathing & meditation. I need patience I guess and stay on course. And of course I work with a wonderful homeopath. It is sad that TPTB law dictates she cannot help me in the manner she desires, but “F” the gubement, we do talk and we are working on things.!.!.! Never in my short life here have I paid so much attention & cared for what goes into my body… to no avail, so far,,, I DO have hope and I refuse to accept I will live with varying degree of pain for the rest of my life.

Can you share what you have been doing and maybe some sharp eyes of forumites might catch something that you haven't thought of?

Thank you. The biggest thing I HAVE NOT DONE is removing BREAD completely from my diet. I eat sour dough bread from a farmers market. Not wheat & not white cheap bread, but I do hamburger buns. Bad enough but I am not committed enough I know, so I have no reason to whine. I know what I do not do. I eat cooked meat/chicken (mostly fresh from the butcher), fresh vegetables, fruit and nuts. Almost no dairy. I am lactose intolerant. I do like my beer, and that's also probably not good. I am an alcoholic so I do take care & am quite aware of my compulsive addictions (programs). Life is not a twelve step program for me. I fail for an occasional root beer milkshake, that's bad too. Daily, more than the recommended amounts, I take vitamins C, D-13, B-12, magnesium, Fish Oil omega-3s, multi-vitamins. We're gonna by a juicer.!.!.! Don't have a FIR although I do heat up with what I have.

I have sooo much yet to change and am continuing to work on this. I have tried changing everything at once and that didn't work. Right now bread is my target and I'll get it right eventually.

I know y'all care. But I also know that I, myself have yet to take full control for sometimes I do make "major" changes, and then say the hell with all this, I'm doomed so WTF... I have a self destruct program that is a major player and have yet not been able to completely shut it down. I'm on a very active roller coaster and have never found an easy path. I have and do read all health related topics I can, and the books you sent me Laura (thank you). Both my wife & myself have learned much those books. But it's my weakness of character that needs to be overcome. And nobody can do this but me. I seem depressed & yes I am. BUT, I am not giving up and eventually all these small changes I hope will accumulate into something great... I can only hope...

Having been in a profession now for about 12 years where the goal is pain and stress relief, and based on my personal experience, I definitely see the correlations between mind, body and spirit. For a while now, I've expressed to clients that pain is always seeking to communicate and is usually an indication to us to PAY ATTENTION. Not too surprising, very few people have been open and willing to delve a bit into that concept -- they just want someone to fix it for them.

Having had past issues with debilitating low back issues, that pain has been especially interesting to me, and having worked very pointedly to address my personal experience, I moved through the pain into building a new relationship with my body -- I now appreciate my body for its wonderful gift to me of communication. It will always tell me if I'm tense about something, worried, resisting, etc.

Haven't you noticed that sometimes an activity will cause you pain and other times, you do it with no pain at all? This naturally leads me to examine the other aspects of ourselves, namely our mental, emotional and spiritual "mood" in either instance.

And, as always, it may be different for each of us and the pain may be serving other purposes for other people...

Jazper

Jazper said:
And, as always, it may be different for each of us and the pain may be serving other purposes for other people...

Thanks for your thoughts Jazper. May I ask without seeing the pictures, what can be done to alleviate pain from discs (more than not, neck to tail) that have degenerated and still are, with multiple herniation. Had one(1) disc surgeried and I ain't in no rush to expereince that hell again. Let's call that one a major failure that opened up a big ole can of worms... A left hip that (I will find out soon) may force replacement (that'll help with that hip pain in the arse). Gawd I'm sick of being sliced & diced. A knee that also probably needs replacement. Bones don't regenerate or please tell me I'm wrong. My right hip is okay, lost that leg above knee in '76. My left leg was almost lost but with massive compounded fracture (tibia/fibia) where all done was to slap the meat together to heal (close up). Metal pins inserted from under the knee cap to ankle for three years of being a walking barometer.
Forgive my bluntness Jazper, but perhaps beside the body "talking" to me, maybe just maybe SOMETHING else is telling me something or bringing a taste of hell for the seeker... Also there's the General Law that I perhaps break or broke...
I thank you all fro letting me get this off my chest. Many many thanks...

edit: typing again...

Back
Top Bottom