"Cascade effect" from allergies?

Gimpy

The Living Force
I'm taking wakunaga aged garlic to help treat a leaky gut, two caps with every meal, along with phosphotydlcholine, enzymes, and a calcium/mag/zinc/D3 supplement, CQ10, and acidopholus. I'm on the recumbent bike for 10 minute intervals three times a day. (Which is hard to do this week but is helping some.)

The big issue is allergies. Even wiping Dexter down with baby wipes when he comes in isn't enough. Once a reaction starts, everything goes...fatigue, balance, thinking...POOF! :curse:

Does anyone have ideas on what else I can try? I do take generic clairitin for allergies, but its not working against whatever is setting me off.

Basically...am I missing something supplement wise here? Or am I just being an idiot and pushing too hard? :rolleyes:

I'll try to check back in later. I'm trying to stay offline to rest my eyes. :)

Gimpy, I am very sorry to hear you are having an uncomfortable time. I have nothing to suggest but I can ''shoot'' some POTS your way if you think it will help.
I hope you get well quick :flowers:

I don't have a hard and fast answer for you, but I did notice that in the last 5 or so years that I've gradually been cleaning up my diet, my allergies have dramatically reduced. I used to get hives and itchy red swollen eyes, along with lots of sneezing, as soon as I was in a place with a cat. Now I have my own and for the most part (occasional cat scratches excluded) no problems! Same goes for dogs, I am generally okay with them now, never was several years ago and I think my diet is the main factor.

I took claritin (prescription) from ages 12-14 and it really messed me up- nausea, dramatic weight loss and inability to gain it back (went from 5'7" and 110 to 87 lbs :scared:), migraine headaches, nervousness, and perhaps contributed to depression/anxiety (already had that going on). At some point I got off of it and those symptoms went away. I never really felt like it helped much, hopefully the newer versions are better.

FWIW. I hope your allergies clear up soon
:flowers:
(hope you're not allergic to flowers too)

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane - an organic sulfur) is supposed to be quite helpful with all types of allergies. I don't have any personal experience since I've never suffered from obvious allergies. Also amino acids that are effective against allergies are: Glutathione; as Glutathione is a tripeptide it's sometimes recommended to take the constituents it's made from: Cysteine, Glutamic Acid, and Glycine, along with Histidine -- another amino that helps with allergies. These should be taken with cofactors of Selenium, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin C.

Unless you have specific reasons to avoid any of these, you may want to look into these as a possible solution.

Sources:
The MSM Miracle by Earl L. Mindell, R.Ph., Ph.D.
The Amino Revolution by Robert Erdmann, Ph.D. with Meirion Jones
Amino Acids in Therapy by Leon Chaitow, D.O, N.D.

Thank you Seek. I do have MSM, and will have a go with it. (I'll try anything at this point, believe me.)

The DMSO I ordered finally came in. I need functioning hands to mix it, so here's hoping today is a good day. :D

SeekinTruth said:
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane - an organic sulfur) is supposed to be quite helpful with all types of allergies. I don't have any personal experience since I've never suffered from obvious allergies. Also amino acids that are effective against allergies are: Glutathione; as Glutathione is a tripeptide it's sometimes recommended to take the constituents it's made from: Cysteine, Glutamic Acid, and Glycine, along with Histidine -- another amino that helps with allergies. These should be taken with cofactors of Selenium, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin C.

Unless you have specific reasons to avoid any of these, you may want to look into these as a possible solution.

Sources:
The MSM Miracle by Earl L. Mindell, R.Ph., Ph.D.
The Amino Revolution by Robert Erdmann, Ph.D. with Meirion Jones
Amino Acids in Therapy by Leon Chaitow, D.O, N.D.

Hi Gimpy,

You are probably sensitive to something you are still eating. Remember, it doesn't necessarily have to be "evil". For example, I'm very sensitive to garlic and onions. After having it for a day or two, I will have flu-like symptoms, brain fog, sneezing, itching. Specially during the pollen season, like right now. In short, I'll be a basket case. Same with other spices. I can't even have garlic supplements. 2 or 3 years ago, I was still able to have garlic and onions everyday, but I got sensitized.

You can keep a journal to see if it can give you an idea of what may have triggered an allergy. Basically try to remember when the allergy started, and what did you ate. It is true that there are environmental allergens that you can't quite avoid. But in general, if you're not having those allergens in your diet, you should be able to be clear. I've suffer from allergies my entire life, I always walked with a napkin in my hand and/or was drugged with anti-histamines. It was only when I cleared out my system with the elimination diet that I stopped having them. Sometimes it is not easy to discover foods that you are intolerant, so here is a guide which you can use in an elimination diet:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/concen/tipcon/orale.shtml

Oral allergy syndrome

Oral allergy syndrome is an allergic reaction to certain proteins in fruit, vegetables and nuts.

This condition is called “oral allergy syndrome” because it usually affects the mouth and throat.
People affected with oral allergy syndrome

Oral allergy syndrome is nearly always preceded by hay fever. It also tends to occur most often in older children and adults.

It is usually associated with birch-pollen allergies but it can also affect people with allergies to the pollens of grass, ragweed (more common in North America) and mugwort (more common in Europe). These reactions can occur at any time of year but are often worse during the pollen season.

Symptoms of oral allergy syndrome

Symptoms may include

* itching and burning of the lips, mouth and throat
* watery itchy eyes
* runny nose
* sneezing

Symptoms usually develop within minutes of eating or touching the food, but occasionally occur more than an hour later.

For some people, peeling or touching the offending foods may cause a rash, itching or swelling where the food touches the skin.

More serious reactions can include hives and swelling of the mouth, pharynx and windpipe.

In rare cases, severe allergic reactions have been reported, such as

* vomiting and diarrhea
* bronchial asthma
* generalized hives
* anaphylactic shock

Reactions to fruits and vegetables associated with oral allergy syndrome

Not all reactions to fruit and vegetables are associated with oral allergy syndrome.

A variety of fruit, vegetables and their juices sometimes cause skin rashes and diarrhea, especially in young children. These include

* apples
* grapes
* oranges
* tomatoes

Strawberries occasionally cause hives.

Food involved in oral allergy syndrome

Food associated with birch, ragweed, grass and mugwort pollen are listed in the following table.

Because the allergenic proteins associated with oral allergy syndrome are usually destroyed by cooking, most reactions are caused by raw food. The main exceptions to this are celery and nuts, which may cause reactions even after being cooked.

Some plant parts, such as the skin, may be more allergenic than other parts.

The allergic characteristics of some fruit seems to decrease during storage.

Foods associated with oral allergy syndrome, which could cause anaphylactic reactions, include:

* beans
* celery
* cumin
* hazelnut
* kiwi
* parsley
* white potato

FOOD MOST COMMONLY ASSOCIATED WITH BIRCH, RAGWEED, GRASS AND MUGWORT POLLENS

Allergies to this type of Pollen May also trigger an allergic reaction to these foods

Birch

Fruits: apple, apricot, cherry, kiwi, nectarine, peach, pear, plum, prune
Vegetables: anise, beans, caraway, carrot, celery, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, green pepper, lentils, parsley, parsnips, peanut, peas, potato, tomato
Nuts: almond, hazelnut, walnut
Seeds: sunflower

Grass

Fruits: kiwi, melon, orange, tomato, watermelon

Mugwort

Fruits: apple, melon, watermelon
Vegetables: carrot, celery

Ragweed

Fruits: banana, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon
Vegetables: cucumber, zucchini

Source: Zarkadas M, Scott FW, Salminen J, Ham Pong A. Common Allergenic Foods and Their Labelling in Canada - A Review. Canadian Journal Allergy & Clinical Immunology 1999; 4:118-141.

I have a problem with the birch family, ALL citrus fruits, onions, garlic, and the usual suspects: gluten, milk, etc I'm safe with eggs though. :)

Hi Gimpy,
My recent diet changes of giving up all wheat and dairy have provided many benefits (see cealic iceberg thread) but unfortunately do not seem to have affected my allergies. I have the traditional allergic reactions, sneezing, watery eyes, and breathing problems sometimes, to mold, tree and grass pollens. If you are not adverse to trying a Western medication I have had very good relief with Singulair and no discernible side effects. I have tried to go off it now and then but the unpleasant allergy reactions come back. I have not given up hope that a future diet change may eliminate or at least reduce my allergies but for now to maintain optimal function I am continuing with this medication. I have heard that high levels of vit. C and alfalfa tablets have provided relief for some. Take care dear and good luck.
shellycheval

Hey Gimpy,

In addition to the above advice, you may be interested in this thread if you haven't seen it already.

I have never really suffered from allergies for most of my life, but have noticed that as I get older, I do have reactions from time to time. A couple of months ago, we were turning the mattress. It was then that we discovered the mattress had mold on it! When we replaced the mattress, I noticed that I didn't wake up sneezy or with sinus irritation.

I have also known people who have had reactions to things that the majority of the population doesn't (or doesn't notice). Some of the things were scents and laundry detergent. You may want to do a clean sweep of your house and see if that clears up the problem. Vinegar with baking soda and a little mild soap (I sometimes use Dr. Bronners) works well for cleaning most things including laundry.

Shelly: If you are not adverse to trying a Western medication I have had very good relief with Singulair and no discernible side effects.

I've been on Singulair for a number of years, along with clairitin. I can't take any of the other meds used for allergies. I'm wondering if this is keeping the hayfever at bay, but still leaving me wide open for the oral allergies Psyche mentioned. :/

Psyche:

More serious reactions can include hives and swelling of the mouth, pharynx and windpipe.

In rare cases, severe allergic reactions have been reported, such as

* vomiting and diarrhea
* bronchial asthma
* generalized hives
* anaphylactic shock

Allergies to this type of Pollen May also trigger an allergic reaction to these foods (I'm allergic to all of these pollens. :( )

Birch

Fruits: apple, apricot, cherry, kiwi, nectarine, peach, pear, plum, prune
Vegetables: anise, beans, caraway, carrot, celery, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, green pepper, lentils, parsley, parsnips, peanut, peas, potato, tomato
Nuts: almond, hazelnut, walnut
Seeds: sunflower

Grass

Fruits: kiwi, melon, orange, tomato, watermelon

Mugwort

Fruits: apple, melon, watermelon
Vegetables: carrot, celery

Ragweed

Fruits: banana, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon
Vegetables: cucumber, zucchini

I've bolded the foods I've eaten, and like to eat. :O In bold are the symptoms that are kicking me in the teeth, too.

This is the first time in a long time that I'm getting the idea that I can't eat anything or it will kill me. :shock:

I also had a reaction this morning to a banana, so those will be cut up and frozen for eating or baking later. (no sense in wasting them.)

Right now, I'm kind of fed up. It's not even 8am, and I'm all ready forced to take antihistamines. :headbash:

I love you guys for the information, at least it gives me an idea on what could be knocking me over.

At the moment, I'm overwhelmed, and will do some pondering to get a grip on the situation. :scared:

Hi Gimpy,

I'm suggesting you to read this out first before trying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarinase. I'm not a medical doctor, maybe it's best for you to ask for advise first before taking any medication.

I've been taking Clarinase regularly due to my sinus conditions that reacts on change of weather and temperature, so it seems :/

I must say that it works quite well for me.

Hope you get better soon! :flowers:

Gimpy, I know how you feel. Back in August of 2008 when I realized what was wrong, what I had to do, and embarked on the experiment, I was totally overwhelmed. Of course, I had just read "Detoxify or Die" and a couple other Sherry Rogers books.

The thing is, as Sydney Baker says, everybody is unique and individual, and while there are general things that can be said about various conditions, each person has to find their own EXACT solution. Psyche can eat eggs; I can't. I can eat garlic; Psyche can't. But we both have autoimmune conditions that are very similar and have a lot of cross-over symptoms.

So, people come along and have a disease, they find the cure that works for them, individually, and tout it as THE cure. It may not be right for everyone.

I thought I could eat lots of brown rice and dried beans. I found that I can't. Most of us here in the house don't feel very well with a lot of brown rice. But, it was sure better than other things for the period that we were learning and testing.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. What I did when I knew I was in a mess and needed to give my body a break was stick to some very simple things: meats and softly cooked veggies except for lettuce and cucumbers. I ate beets, carrots, green beans, spinach, chard, collards, squash and sweet potatoes at almost every meal (slathered in ghee). At that point, I didn't even trust any kinds of breads at all, so I didn't eat even gluten free. I had chicken and turkey and a bit of red meat now and again, and fish.

That was it for a number of weeks. I just cooked big pots of veggies, put them in a covered dish in the fridge and warmed up a bit whenever I was hungry. No spices, no condiments, nothing else. You might think it is a pretty grim diet, but it wasn't that bad because I was really appreciating the fresh veggies.

Little by little I added things ... tested things... and continued with my supplements and saunas.

I did get a new bed, a hypoallergenically treated pure latex mattress. And new latex pillows. I stopped using anything but natural soaps.

Within about ten days there was a profound difference. And I didn't want to backslide, so I kept reading, experimenting, checking things out and you know the rest because most of it is recorded here on the forum.

Starlight said:
Hi Gimpy,

I'm suggesting you to read this out first before trying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarinase. I'm not a medical doctor, maybe it's best for you to ask for advise first before taking any medication.

I've been taking Clarinase regularly due to my sinus conditions that reacts on change of weather and temperature, so it seems :/

I must say that it works quite well for me.

It has both antihistamines and pseudoephedrine which serves only to mask the symptoms, not go at the root of the problem. If there is an intolerance, it will still be causing an immune reaction in your body and perpetuating inflammation. That is why it is important to find which foods one is intolerant through the elimination diet.

The problem with antihistamines is that they cause intestinal permeability. From Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and CFS:

The use of NSAIDs, steroids, antibiotics, antihistamines, caffeine, alcohol, and other prescription and nonprescription drugs can cause intestinal permeability, as they render the intestinal mucosa permeable to toxins and undigested food particles.

Basically, they mask the symptoms while self-perpetuating the root of the problem which then will cause problems in other ways.

Also pseudoephedrine is a sympathetic enhancing drug (the opposite of the relaxing parasympathetic response which is enhanced by the vagus nerve). It is also a drug from the amphetamine class, the same drug that is a stimulant and a psychoactive hallucinogenic drug. This is why some of its side effects is:

fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat;
severe dizziness, anxiety, restless feeling, or nervousness;
easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness, fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms; or
increased blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, trouble concentrating, chest pain, numbness, seizure).
mild loss of appetite;
warmth, tingling, or redness under your skin;
feeling excited or restless;
sleep problems (insomnia); or
skin rash or itching.

My cousin who is very allergic as I am, took pseudoephedrine on a daily basis. But she has also a liver transplantation due to a congenital liver disease. The combination of pseudoephedrine and something else didn't went well. She started having ventricular arrhythmias. This is an arrhythmia which has the potential to go VERY wrong, like sudden death for instance. She stopped the pseudoephedrine and her heart rhythm stabilized. It is not harmless drug, combined with other stimulants or drugs, it can go very wrong. In her case, it was probably the combination of her liver transplant drugs, but these alone don't cause problems in her heart rhythm. I don't discard other possibilities though, it could have been her beloved coffee as well. :/

Pseudoephedrine gives me palpitations and makes my head feel like it is going to explode.

Hope you are doing ok Gimpy, just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat as you at the moment (although my symptoms are Way less severe than yours), so wanted to say thanks for all the information here.

Psyche said:
Symptoms may include

* itching and burning of the lips, mouth and throat
* watery itchy eyes
* runny nose
* sneezing

Wow....I get those after most meals I thought where safe :/ Heck I even get that after drinking water sometimes...

Psyche said:
The use of NSAIDs, steroids, antibiotics, antihistamines, caffeine, alcohol, and other prescription and nonprescription drugs can cause intestinal permeability, as they render the intestinal mucosa permeable to toxins and undigested food particles.

I was worried that taking slippery elm may just be covering up symptoms as it soothes the guts ....but hopefully its not as bad as the above as it helps regenerate the mucus membrane.

Looks like I need to find something safe (that's the trouble) and stick to it long enough to start re-introducing foods. All this may be obvious, but having brain fog just saps my ability to do what's needed most of the time.

Hang in there gimpy.

OMG! Thanks Psyche for telling this! There are occasions when I have some (maybe about 8 out of 9) of the of the side effects that you have listed especially severe dizziness which I thought was from my low blood pressure.. Duh!! I think it's very much the Clarinase!! :scared:

I'm throwing away all that stuff prompto!!

Back
Top Bottom