UG Krishnamurti

Tristan

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
:huh:Some years ago while surfing the net I found by chance a name: U G Krishnamurti. I did some reading about him and his "teachings" and statements. All the stuff seems quite weird and unusual; some people define him as anti-guru. I'd like to ask forum members what do u think of him? and especially about his sayings such as: The uniqueness of the individual cannot express itself because of the stranglehold of the experiences of others.

The belief in reincarnation is born out of the demand that something will continue after your so-called death. It is the same mechanism which wants to know what will happen after death. For some reason that mechanism, that movement of thought, does not want to come to an end. But, if you want to know if there is anything beyond, you have to die now.

http://www.ugkrishnamurti.net/

Edit=Title

Re: UG

Tristan said:
Some years ago while surfing the net I found by chance a name: U G Krishnamurti. I did some reading about him and his "teachings" and statements. All the stuff seems quite weird and unusual; some people define him as anti-guru. I'd like to ask forum members what do u think of him? and especially about his sayings such as: The uniqueness of the individual cannot express itself because of the stranglehold of the experiences of others.

The belief in reincarnation is born out of the demand that something will continue after your so-called death. It is the same mechanism which wants to know what will happen after death. For some reason that mechanism, that movement of thought, does not want to come to an end. But, if you want to know if there is anything beyond, you have to die now.

http://www.ugkrishnamurti.net/

I don't know if his man fit in this topic "the work"

Hi Tristan,
If you use the search function on this site with the text Krishnamurti, you will get some discussions on him. In one such thread Anart wrote
[quote author=Anart]
Actually, if you do a search on Krishnamurti on the forum, you might find out that while some of what he has written is worth reading, across the board there are much better, more objective, sources of information - especially regarding self-observation.
[/quote]
Personally, I agree with that observation.

Short quotes can often be interpreted in a number of ways. If you take the one that you have highlighted here
[quote author=Tristan]
[/quote]
UGK does not address reincarnation as a phenomenon to be studied. The data available on reincarnation seems to suggest that there is a strong possibility of reincarnation being real. If one were interested in the topic of reincarnation then one would go about collecting and analyzing data to come to a conclusion. UGK questions and interprets the mind which asked the question of reincarnation. Now one may need to have a proper context to fully understand why he said what he said - for example, he might have felt that a belief in reincarnation often keeps people from actively seeking answers in the present because there is always a future life to look forward to and hence he answered in the way he did.
On a lighter note, a UGK way of addressing your question about UGK could be by analyzing your motivation behind asking the question instead of addressing the question itself :)- osit.

Hi obyvatel,

obyvatel said:
Hi Tristan,
If you use the search function on this site with the text Krishnamurti, you will get some discussions on him. In one such thread Anart wrote
[quote author=Anart]
Actually, if you do a search on Krishnamurti on the forum, you might find out that while some of what he has written is worth reading, across the board there are much better, more objective, sources of information - especially regarding self-observation.
[/quote]

I think Anart is talking about Jiddu Krishnamurti, not UG Krishnamurti.
UG is a sort of 'anti-everything' guy who said interesting things about Osho Rajneesh.

Other than that, I don't know much about him, but he sounds a bit nihilistic.

Vulcan59 said:
FWIW, here is an article on UG Krishnamurti. :)

The guy looks/sounds sympathetic, actually, if only because of his originality :)
Going to the pub or the temple is exactly the same; it is quick fix.
Atmospheric pollution is most harmless when compared to the spiritual and religious pollution that have plagued the world.

Nature is busy creating absolutely unique individuals, where as culture has invented a single mold to which all must conform. It is grotesque.

:thup:

Adaryn said:
Hi obyvatel,

obyvatel said:
Hi Tristan,
[quote author=Anart]

I think Anart is talking about Jiddu Krishnamurti, not UG Krishnamurti.
UG is a sort of 'anti-everything' guy who said interesting things about Osho Rajneesh.

[/quote]
My apologies for the mistake. Thanks Adaryn for pointing this out.

Hi Tristain,

Krishnamurti was an incredible teacher, when obyvatel speculates that 'he might have felt that a belief in reincarnation often keeps people from actively seeking answers in the present' I agree with this as my experience is that his teachings focus on the individual and not getting swept up in the group trends and assumptions. The article reccomended by Vulcan59 uses the
word -blunt- to describe his approach - this is exactly right he was very 'blunt' and confronting. This was later taken to
a greater extreme (in my opinion) by Barry Long (who was directly inspired by Krishnamurti's blunt approach
and method focussing on the efforts of the individual freeing himself).

From my experience having spent alot of time absorbing the confronting lectures and books of Barry Long
which have an aggressive edge (he often confronted peoples ego and upset them at his lectures), I found huge amounts of 'programming' being removed from my subconscious.

A perfect short example of this is the audio lecture 'How to stop thinking', very straight and confronting.

Initially, on reading some of UG Krishnamurti's (UGK) sayings, it seemed similar in flavor and content to the teachings of Jiddu Krishnamurti (JK). The two of them were well acquainted with each other with UGK having sought out JK for teachings at one point of his life. UGK later had a fallout with JK.
Then, reading "Mind Is a Myth" which is a compendium of UGK sayings in a question-answer format was quite revealing. There UGK says that he uses "80% of the words and phrases used by JK". He also calls JK "a neurotic", "a buffoon" who peddled a phony method of transformation of the psyche since the mind or psyche does not exist in the first place.
UGK is pretty much an anti-everything guy like Adaryn remarked. He dismantled all the structures and beliefs related to spirituality and ruthlessly exposed the falsehoods and "buffers" that humanity has erected. I was keen to find out what his view of reality was since he rejected pretty much everything that society accepts. Following are some excerpts and comments from "Mind is a Myth" which are related to UGK's view of reality and what seems to me some very telling remarks about himself.

UGK denied any existence of spirituality and a possibility of esoteric evolution for humanity.

[quote author=Mind is a Myth]
The whole field of psychology has misled the whole thinking of man for a hundred years and more. Freud is the stupendous fraud of the 20th century. J. Krishnamurti talks of a revolution in the psyche. There is no psyche there. Where is this mind which is to be magically transformed?
I maintain that there is nothing to change or transform. You accept that there is something to change as an article of faith. You never question the existence of the one who is to be changed. The whole mystique of enlightenment is based upon the idea of transforming yourself. I cannot convey or transmit my certainty that you and all the authorities down through the centuries are false. They and the spiritual goods they peddle are utterly false.
"Religion", "God", "Soul", "Beatitudes", "moksha", are all just words, ideas used to keep your psychological continuity intact. When these thoughts are not there, what is left is the simple, harmonious physical functioning of the organism.
[/quote]

And what is this "organism" that UGK is talking about?

It is the body which is immortal. It only changes its form after clinical death, remaining within the flow of life in new shapes. The body is not concerned with "the afterlife" or any kind of permanency. It struggles to survive and multiply NOW. The fictitious "beyond", created by thought out of fear, is really the demand for more of the same, in modified form. This demand for repetition of the same thing over and over again is the demand for permanence. Such permanence is foreign to the body.
All their philosophies cannot compare to the native wisdom of the body itself. What they are calling mental activity, spiritual activity, emotional activity, and feelings are really all one unitary process. This body is highly intelligent and does not need these scientific or theological teachings to survive and procreate. Take away all your fancies about life, death, and freedom, and the body remains unscathed, functioning harmoniously. It does not need your or my help. You don't have to do a thing.
It functions in a state of not knowing. I never ask myself how I am functioning. I never question my actions, before, during, or after they occur. Does a computer ask how it is functioning?
[/quote]

It seems that UGK was "aware" only of the moving/instinctive center as the center of awareness.

Awareness! What a fantastic gimmick used to fool themselves and others. You can't be aware of every step, you only become self-conscious and awkward if you do. I once knew a man who was a harbor pilot. He had been reading about "passive awareness" and attempted to put it into practice. He, for the first time, nearly wrecked the ship he was guiding. Walking is automatic, and if you try to be aware of every step, you will go crazy.
[/quote]

Regarding emotions

Q: You have a family somewhere, don't you?

U.G.: My daughters, two of them, are in Hyderabad. One of my sons, Vasant, died recently of cancer. The other fellow, Kumar, is younger and was born in America. He is an electronics engineer there now. I see him occasionally when I visit the U.S.A. I don't have much contact with my family. They come and visit me sometimes. That's all. I have no emotional links with them, or with anybody for that matter. Not even with Valentine, the old Swiss lady I have been with for the last twenty years. I don't think I have any emotional links with anybody.

Q: Have you ever had any emotional links with anybody?

U.G.: I don't know. I probably did not, even with my wife with whom I lived for twenty years. I really don't know what kind of links one should have.

As I once told my wife, "Don't talk of love and intimacy to me; what keeps us together is sex. The problem is that I for some reason cannot have sex with another woman. That is my problem. I have no way of freeing myself from this problem."

[/quote]

It seems to me that UGK had a non-existent or a non-functional emotional center. True esoteric evolution (as we understand it in this forum) does not seem to be possible in such a condition. UGK destroyed many commonly accepted falsehoods and buffers but was empty inside. OSIT

At least he did not ask anyone to follow him or listen to him.
I am just singing my song, then I go. If someone listens to me or not, it is not my concern.
I am not interested in using, influencing, or changing anybody. This is a statement on what I am, how I lived, nothing more. This will not be of any tremendous value for mankind and should not be preserved for posterity. I don't believe in posterity. I have no teaching. There is nothing to preserve. Teaching implies something that can be used to bring about change. Sorry... There is no teaching here, just disjointed, disconnected sentences. What is there is only your interpretation of either the written or spoken word, nothing else. The answers you get are yours. They are your property, not mine.
[/quote]

There was time when I, like many others, was fascinated by UG. Not by him as a person but more by his "enigmacy"; I just couldn't believe that there was nothing behind his apparent nihilism. I preferred to think that his "fake" nihilism was just another challenge for those who listened to him to question it as well. Well, I just tried to fill his image with my illusions and wishful thinking. A perfect example of what I used to do for a great part of my life. In a sense, I was fortunate since those who bought his teaching in the entirety would end up with severe depressions or took their lives, according to the article linked by Vulcan.

UG was challenging people's beliefs and their tendency to blindly follow any "guru", and that was good. Ironically, the same people who made him their guru blindly followed him. Interesting, isn't it? If you like what he says, and you trust him enough to question your beliefs and your thinking, then why you don't believe when he says he has no teaching? :)

What eventually closed that chapter for me was realizing that to question was not enough; there are innumerable gurus who do it. What really counts is what they can offer afterwards. And there are very few who have something valuable to offer; UG definitely wasn't one of them. Even if (which I doubt) what happened to him during that calamity had anything to do with "enlightenment", he did literally nothing with it. I wholeheartedly agree with Dag Hammarskjold when he says: In our era, the road to holiness necessarily passes through the world of action.

Or, if you prefer, and what Obyvatel pointed out (great summary, btw.), he seemed to lack feelings. We could ask Castaneda's question:

Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't, it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn't. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you.

As for me, UG's path didn't have a heart.

I found this thread from a pointer from obyvatel here. Here's an online obituary on U. G. where, basically, the obit is UG's life story, or at least what the author considers the important bits:
_http://www.ugkrishnamurti.org/ug/obi/

The idea of UG="empty" is interesting. I think even UG would agree with the intellectual version of 'empty.' He has been direct about that, expressing the idea that he has nothing to teach and that people can do whatever they want with anything he says, because, in his own opinion, he is basically not saying anything that he thinks people shouldn't or don't already know on some level.

Specifically:

My interest is not to knock off what others have said (that is too easy) but to knock off what I am saying. More precisely, I am trying to stop what you are making out of what I am saying. This is why my talking sounds contradictory to others. I am forced by the nature of your listening to always negate the first statement with another statement. Then the second statement is negated by a third and so on. My aim is not some comfy dialectical thesis but the total negation of everything that can be expressed.

Even the above can be taken in two ways. One, the path to the "empty" void where enlightenment would probably be ultimately physically expressed as a comatose state of non-responsiveness. Or, as a necessary stage in a Dabrowskian process of rebuilding one's own personality, or self. What do y'all think on this point?

Anyway, I then compare UG with Gurdjieff. Both would be very good at smashing sacred cows - even running down the thought/belief process that might be used in creating them in the first place, so both UG and Gurdjieff could probably help people understand aberrant thought processes and inappropriate/wrong behaviors that follow incorrect thinking. Further, in regards to behavior, UG has said that he can be happy with a happy person and feel bad with a person who feels bad. He did not, however, include anything "in the middle" that might represent something of his own - at least nothing that I can find, ATM.

In terms of helping others, the departure point between G and UG might well be at the place where a person asks what is the point of doing any of that conceptual questioning and dismantling. This may be where "empty" comes in to offer nothing beyond this life. We already know, as obyvatel pointed out, that UG offered no hope for esoteric development or anything after physical death and we have UG's confirmation of that, so there's not much more to say there, I think.

Gurdjieff had hopes for esoteric development and survivability in some way - whether continuous existence after the death of the body after one's personal work of developing something survivable, or of intermittent recurrence as time flows on (at least I gather that is the case). Although I think G left us with no evidence that this can be accomplished or that it has been attained, he did seem to leave us enough examples of theory and practice to leave open the possibility in our minds - at least while attempting to follow his Fourth Way example.

So, between UG and Gurdjieff, I would definitely assign Gurdjieff the chance for survivability or intermittent recurrence. G left a map of his thought and way of thinking in the memories of others and in a lot of written material. I propose all that to be a map of his psyche, however complete or incomplete. Physical body wouldn't matter I guess since the process of building one of those can be set in motion at human conception.

Buddy said:
The idea of UG="empty" is interesting. I think even UG would agree with the intellectual version of 'empty.'

Assuming you are referring to my comment, it was mainly in the context of emotions, or more specifically, in the area of the feeling function .

[quote author=Buddy]
Specifically:

My interest is not to knock off what others have said (that is too easy) but to knock off what I am saying. More precisely, I am trying to stop what you are making out of what I am saying. This is why my talking sounds contradictory to others. I am forced by the nature of your listening to always negate the first statement with another statement. Then the second statement is negated by a third and so on. My aim is not some comfy dialectical thesis but the total negation of everything that can be expressed.

Even the above can be taken in two ways. One, the path to the "empty" void where enlightenment would probably be ultimately physically expressed as a comatose state of non-responsiveness. Or, as a necessary stage in a Dabrowskian process of rebuilding one's own personality, or self. What do y'all think on this point?
[/quote]

"Total negation of everything that can be expressed" is similar to the "neti-neti" (not this, not this) method of Hindu Upanishads, the negative method outlined in Mouravieff's Gnosis, and the traditional Japanese Zen method. So as a philosophical position, UGK's position was not unique. However, all these traditional schools acknowledge the existence of something beyond the world of delusion/false personality/relativism and try to help people experience that in this life-time.

Thanks, obyvatel.

I followed your pointer. I read that post, the thread it was in, and even followed a link to Gurdjieff's description of the formatory apparatus. This is the first time I read it and thought about it in depth and in this context. The idea of a typist pulling out a stereotype for use in decoding incoming info and re-encoding it before passing it on is a really good example, I think, and shows G can see what people actually do. In that post you linked to, I noted my own harmony with the Stoics view. I also noted the word 'emotion' appears about 6 times in that one paragraph and the connection with movement agrees with my own thoughts, observations, and readings in neuro-physiology and other studies. The transition into Jung's use of 'feelings' and rare use of 'emotion' got a bit confusing for me, but I'll not add my thoughts on that to this topic.

Overall, I'm glad I read and re-read all that because it makes it look like UG actually knew what he was doing with his "negation of all that can be expressed." It seems that, whether it's wrapped up in a stereotype, or received from exchanges in a Q & A format, people appear to get a 'feeling' of understanding from 'explanations.' Using descriptions of a process that leaves it open for change in the future, as G seems to have done, tends to go deeper and stick with me and I assume that applies to most people who take G seriously.

With regard to the two Krishnamurti's it almost seems that Jiddu is the Brother Sez to UG's Brother Ahl but that may not really fit because, interestingly, G has also said that the intellect works by comparing two things and isn't capable of perceiving on many levels or making fine distinctions past a certain point. The emotional center, however, does make those finer distinctions and can perceive on more than one level. This is just my paraphrasing so I might be off a bit, but it does seem to invite the question as to who is doing the real or useful discerning for other peoples benefit. And if the benefit be called "understanding", is it a feeling of understanding or actual and connected to peoples real life experiences?

So, here's where I have arrived and feel like I'll be stopping. It seems one only learns so much from UG's life anyway:

Having read and thought about this for a couple days, I actually can't say that I'm any closer to satisfying myself on the question of whether or not UG's emotional center was non-existent or even if it was non-functional. Maybe non-functional or barely functioning, I simply don't know. If you think that UG still believed it was possible for others to achieve emotional/esoteric/spiritual development in their lifetimes and leaving open the question of anything lying beyond that's different from what others have promised for believers, I would agree and I explain why below:

He did seem to care that people not have any wrong ideas about his emotional ties. He also seemed to care that people not put him on any pedestal. To that end, he seemed to go some lengths to negate his own words - even to the point of self-abnegation with an apparently flippant attitude about his own body after death (just throw it on the garbage pile if you want to).

Why should he care what anyone did after he passed? Why would he care if they wanted to memorialize him and worship him? Why should he care if people used him as just one more idol in their love of idolatry? If there was nothing beyond this life, wouldn't he think that he would likely make a better idol than some competitors? If he was really that indifferent and nonchalant, what difference would any of it make to him?

My thoughts are that this negation teaching-that's-not-a-teaching potentially communicates two messages: 1) a lesson that gaining knowledge from explanations that provide a feeling of understanding is a poor substitute (and will be used as a substitute) for gaining understanding that's provided by experiencing life, i.e., people living it themselves. And 2) a lesson that by putting someone on a pedestal, we 'distance' ourselves from them in a way that allows us to project the disowned 'hero' part of ourselves and attack it at signs of weakness or mistakes.

If there were no possibility of esoteric development for people and UG believed that, why would he go to such lengths to set up the conditions for people who didn't catch his messages now, to realize them in the future? ATM, I'm thinking that, the main issue was one of realizing that he maybe wasted his life (from his point of view) and that it was possibly too late for him but for others it was a different question? He certainly seemed to have no path to offer, himself, except maybe in a roundabout way, if that.

So, anyway, the above is just the view that gelled from my readings of UG and the info link pointing elsewhere. I don't claim that any of this constitutes an explanation that gives me a feeling of understanding UG's relationship to an emotional center. You might be spot on for all I know. In any case, thanks for that reply.

Buddy, did you notice these quotes from UGK

Q: You have a family somewhere, don't you?

U.G.: My daughters, two of them, are in Hyderabad. One of my sons, Vasant, died recently of cancer. The other fellow, Kumar, is younger and was born in America. He is an electronics engineer there now. I see him occasionally when I visit the U.S.A. I don't have much contact with my family. They come and visit me sometimes. That's all. I have no emotional links with them, or with anybody for that matter. Not even with Valentine, the old Swiss lady I have been with for the last twenty years. I don't think I have any emotional links with anybody.

Q: Have you ever had any emotional links with anybody?

U.G.: I don't know. I probably did not, even with my wife with whom I lived for twenty years. I really don't know what kind of links one should have.

As I once told my wife, "Don't talk of love and intimacy to me; what keeps us together is sex. The problem is that I for some reason cannot have sex with another woman. That is my problem. I have no way of freeing myself from this problem."

I take these quotes at face value and that is the reason behind the "empty in the emotional sense" comment.

Since you brought up G, his behavior demonstrated that he had strong emotional links with a lot of people through out his life. Having strong emotional links with others is different from being emotionally dependent on others - as G's life showed.

Back
Top Bottom