steam filtration?

Be Like Water

Padawan Learner
I have been thinking about drinking water quality lately, and have been meaning to get some form of filtration. I have read a few threads here about different kinds of filtration, but I had the thought of boiling water and collecting the steam. Does anyone know if this would eliminate flouride and other toxins? I know if they have a lower boiling point than water, they will probably get through, but who knows the boiling point of flourides (or estrogens ect. for that matter)?

I think maybe it could be used in conjunction with other filtration techniques.

mechanimated said:
I have been thinking about drinking water quality lately, and have been meaning to get some form of filtration. I have read a few threads here about different kinds of filtration, but I had the thought of boiling water and collecting the steam. Does anyone know if this would eliminate flouride and other toxins? I know if they have a lower boiling point than water, they will probably get through, but who knows the boiling point of flourides (or estrogens ect. for that matter)?

You're basically describing water distillation. To my understanding, distilling water removes everything.

Mechanimated
I have it in my memory somewhere that drinking distilled water isn't that great and for the life of me can't remember why, goes back to research I did 15 years ago before decideding to get a reverse osmosis filter. I think the problem I had with distilled water was due to lack of minerals in it which is the same problem I have with my RO water. RO water tastes clean but dead. Compared to normal tap water it's great, but go hill walking/climbing etc and when I tasted fresh water from a mountain stream I realised how deficient our water is. I tried to re-create a mountain taste by remineralising using sun dried french salt pan sea salt and then I either leave a few litres out in the sunshine for a few hours or vortex spin it a la Victor Schauberger to get some life back in it.

anart said:
mechanimated said:

You're basically describing water distillation. To my understanding, distilling water removes everything.

Based on discussions with a distiller manufacturer, it removes all dissolved solids but VOCs go up with the steam. But a small post carbon filter takes care of the VOCs (which the distillers should have). VOC removal might become important for Gulf-polluted water (via rain, etc). FWIW

anart said:

Ahhh...I was searching using the keywords "steam water filtration", no wonder I wasn't getting much!

Stevie Argyll said:
Mechanimated
I have it in my memory somewhere that drinking distilled water isn't that great and for the life of me can't remember why, goes back to research I did 15 years ago before decideding to get a reverse osmosis filter. I think the problem I had with distilled water was due to lack of minerals in it which is the same problem I have with my RO water. RO water tastes clean but dead. Compared to normal tap water it's great, but go hill walking/climbing etc and when I tasted fresh water from a mountain stream I realised how deficient our water is. I tried to re-create a mountain taste by remineralising using sun dried french salt pan sea salt and then I either leave a few litres out in the sunshine for a few hours or vortex spin it a la Victor Schauberger to get some life back in it.

Yes, I have a book about Shauberger with information on these vortex water re-energiser devices. I have not read it in years, but I do remember him mentioning that rainwater is essentially dead, that water soaks deep into the soil then rises, picking up trace elements that are beneficial for life. Are you saying you have a shauberger thingy, or you just give the water a good spin? How effective have you found salt, sunshine and vortex method?

LQB said:
Based on discussions with a distiller manufacturer, it removes all dissolved solids but VOCs go up with the steam. But a small post carbon filter takes care of the VOCs (which the distillers should have). VOC removal might become important for Gulf-polluted water (via rain, etc). FWIW

Excellent...thanks for that information. I now know what a Volatile Organic Compound is, and it is useful information.

Mechanimated

adding sea salt to water certainly makes a difference. I use a sea salt with a full mineral profile, so I use grey sea salt from France, sold as sel de Giraunde or Celtic sea salt. I have also used Himalayan salt. The French sea salt is cheaper for me to buy so I mostly use that. I avoid washed sea salt, white ones, some are boiled , drained , washed and minerals are lost.

I have a vortex making double glass egg, http://www.sulis-health.co.uk/sulis/water.html#eggvortex , manual operation 6 twists one way then 6 twists the other, Shauberger posited that an active stream produces an energy 'burst' when the longitudinal vortex changes from a clockwise spin to an anti-clockwise between a right hand and a left hand bend. that site has a lot of vortexers.

Leaving water outdoors in the sunlight in a glass jar and at the same time pour a glass and leave indoors and taste both after 4 hours and see if you can notice a difference. Its important to leave your control out for same lenght of time - if your water has chlorine then you need to give them the same off gassing time to do a proper comparison.

Back
Top Bottom