Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Personally, I would not worry. I would repeat it in a few months to see how it is fluctuating. I would worry if glucose blood levels are relatively high and if triglycerides are high, and at least the later ones are not. Actually, I would rather worry about that ferritin and consider some EDTA or one blood donation.

I'm completely fed-up with the cholesterol issue and the hysteria around it.

Gaby said:
Personally, I would not worry. I would repeat it in a few months to see how it is fluctuating. I would worry if glucose blood levels are relatively high and if triglycerides are high, and at least the later ones are not. Actually, I would rather worry about that ferritin and consider some EDTA or one blood donation.

I'm completely fed-up with the cholesterol issue and the hysteria around it.

Thanks so much Gaby.

The glucose blood levels is 4,9 and it should be between 3,9 - 5,9 mmol/L. And last time it was at 4,9

Gandalf said:
The glucose blood levels is 4,9 and it should be between 3,9 - 5,9 mmol/L. And last time it was at 4,9

That is a teensy high. It is 89 mg/dl and ideally, fasting glucose levels should be below 85 mg/dl, specially if you are on the ketogenic diet. You can also monitor C reactive protein and HbA1c in your next blood panel, both are inflammatory markers. HbA1c is an estimate of "caramelization" in your body.

If you were stressed (psychologically or physically), sugar levels can increase... Still, it is good to aim for levels lower than 85.

Gaby said:
Gandalf said:

That is a teensy high. It is 89 mg/dl and ideally, fasting glucose levels should be below 85 mg/dl, specially if you are on the ketogenic diet. You can also monitor C reactive protein and HbA1c in your next blood panel, both are inflammatory markers. HbA1c is an estimate of "caramelization" in your body.

If you were stressed (psychologically or physically), sugar levels can increase... Still, it is good to aim for levels lower than 85.

Thanks again Gaby. I'm on a keto diet and I also find that strange that my glucose level is so high. However, as you pointed out, I'm a bit stressed.

My HbA1c is 0,054 and it should be under 0,066.

And I would ask for the C reactive protein next time.

Hi all!

I had some blood analysis last month and everything is perfect but my ferritin levels are high:

Transferrin Saturation: 40.7%
Ferritin: 270 ng/mL

The last time I had a blood test, my ferritin was at 110 ng/mL, and it was 178 on April... I don't know what to make of those fluctuating levels, but it's obviously high now.

I went to the red cross here to ask if I could donate some blood and they told me they couldn't because I'm under 55 kilos, then I mentioned the high ferritin and he told me he knows about that and that he can do a phlebotomy if I bring him a medical prescription, he can't do it without a paper. He also told me they wouldn't use that blood.

So next step is getting that medical prescription. I have hopes that it won't be so difficult. :)

I'll let you know about it soon.

In some places the limit is 50 kilos, but if you can't find such place, yeah, a medical prescription sounds like the way to go. You could do EDTA too on top of the decanting. Probably there is some genetic predisposition for iron overload. Glad you discovered it in time!

I have repeated several times with EDTA treatment to lower my iron levels. Interestingly when I do the treatment I encounter problems in my gums, is shown small infection around a tooth. I'm not sure if there is a relationship, but I wonder why it has happened to me 3 times. And when finish EDTA cycle my gums rest. Every day I use Electric toothbrush, dental floss, and water pick.
Does anyone have something similar happened?
Thanks and regards

Hoping to receive a more learned set of eyes on this blood panel. The panel is from my mom (86 yrs), requisitioned by her homeopathic physician. Food-wise, she has moved back to fats after the cholesterol scares that, like many, had them move to Statin type drugs. Of this drug, she takes it every second day (supposed to be everyday) and her homeopathic physician likely would have her off it altogether, however, there is a type of code between physicians to not rock the boat, so to speak – she knows what her primary physician will say. This is really set up as a trap to keep one on the pharma-treadmill, and the insurance companies play their role, always requiring the physician’s blessings if changes are made.

Anyway, as per food, she is very organic conscious, including meats, yet still intakes vegetables (she is aware of their natural toxins), and eats far less fruit then at one time. She is very diligent in her prescribed homeopathic remedies, supplements and vitamins. She was also taking Lipo-C, yet had her stop until her iron could be reviewed.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Routine Chemistry

Units Reference Range

Glucose Fasting* 5.0 mmol/L 3.3 – 6.0
Sodium 138 mmol/L 133 - 145
Potassium 4.1 mmol/L 3.3 – 5.1
Chloride 99 mmol/L 98 - 111
Carbon Dioxide Content 29 mmol/L 2 1 - 31
Alanine Transaminase 42 H U/L 1 - 40
Bilirubin, Total 11 umol/L 0 - 20
Bilirubin, Direct 0 umol/L 0 - 7
Creatinine 73 umol/L 35 - 100
Estimated GFR 65 * mL./min/1.73m2
Ferritin 45 ug/L 13 - 375
Gamma Glutamyl Transferase 12 ug/L 8 - 35
Iron 15 umol/L 12 - 31
Total Iron Binding Capacity 61 umol/L 40 - 77
Transferrin Saturation 0.25 0 0.20 – 0.55
Lipase* 24 U/L 0 - 80
Urate 216 umol/L 160 - 450
Vitamin B12 522 pmol/L 155 – 700

Hi voyageur,

That looks all good to me! Iron stores are on the low side, so I think that she can continue with the vitamin C. I would probably recheck the Iron in 6 months time.

She should definitely go off the statins completely - evil stuff! She can just tell her GP, that she still continues taking them, just to make him "happy". If she is not ready for that she should at the very least supplement with CoQ10.

Hope that helps.

dulma said:
I have repeated several times with EDTA treatment to lower my iron levels. Interestingly when I do the treatment I encounter problems in my gums, is shown small infection around a tooth. I'm not sure if there is a relationship, but I wonder why it has happened to me 3 times. And when finish EDTA cycle my gums rest. Every day I use Electric toothbrush, dental floss, and water pick.
Does anyone have something similar happened?
Thanks and regards

Gums can be one of the first things to show lack of vitamin c - if you aren't taking any, perhaps try a little an hour away from meals.

nicklebleu said:
Hi voyageur,

That looks all good to me! Iron stores are on the low side, so I think that she can continue with the vitamin C. I would probably recheck the Iron in 6 months time.

She should definitely go off the statins completely - evil stuff! She can just tell her GP, that she still continues taking them, just to make him "happy". If she is not ready for that she should at the very least supplement with CoQ10.

Hope that helps.

Indeed, it helps. Thanks!

Regulattor said:
I've checked my serum Fe and Ferritin levels today.

Fe 19,2 µmol/L (ref: 11-32)
Ferritin 174,7 ng/mL (ref: males 23,9 - 336,2)

Both are looking good. However, since I'm still having troubles with KD I'm going to give a blood donation and report back.

Done another blood iron check today after 1 1/2 year and here are lab test:

Fe 12,9µmol/L (11-32) down 6,3
Ferritin 166,4 (30,0-400,0) down 8,3
UIBC 34,8µmol/L (25-54)
TIBC 47,7µmol/L (49-72) LOW
TS 27%

So it seems that I'm still lightly higher with Ferritin then recommended despite two blood donations and 5-6 EDTA cycles in last year and half.
Guess I'm gonna do few more EDTA rounds and then check Ferritin again.

Thank you for detailed information in this thread ! Much appreciated. I have not actually taken the TS/SF test before, and after reading this thread am convinced to do so. I exercise quite regularly focussing on resistance training, with regular vitamin C & magnesium supplementation. However the one thing i could not really comprehend, was the painful joints even after a few days from the point of exercise. A few days good rest and sleep does not really take it fully away. As such since i exercise 2 to 3 times a week, for the last 2 years it seems there is a constant low level ache on joints, which i always brushed aside, and put it down to the nature of the exercise itself. There are days also where I'm very fatigued for no reason despite good sleep, but again i put it down due to nature my work with constant travel and difficult situations to face.

After reading this thread - im starting to suspect it may be iron overload, as the vitamin C doses i take are normally in 1000mg pills, and i have not really donated blood for more than 7 years. Will definitely have to check this out. Thanks again.

Mr.Cyan said:
Thank you for detailed information in this thread ! Much appreciated. I have not actually taken the TS/SF test before, and after reading this thread am convinced to do so. I exercise quite regularly focussing on resistance training, with regular vitamin C & magnesium supplementation. However the one thing i could not really comprehend, was the painful joints even after a few days from the point of exercise. A few days good rest and sleep does not really take it fully away. As such since i exercise 2 to 3 times a week, for the last 2 years it seems there is a constant low level ache on joints, which i always brushed aside, and put it down to the nature of the exercise itself. There are days also where I'm very fatigued for no reason despite good sleep, but again i put it down due to nature my work with constant travel and difficult situations to face.

After reading this thread - im starting to suspect it may be iron overload, as the vitamin C doses i take are normally in 1000mg pills, and i have not really donated blood for more than 7 years. Will definitely have to check this out. Thanks again.

If you're in ketosis, you don't need to take vitamin C unless you have an acute condition like an infection. Also, if you're not in permanent ketosis (and keeping net carbs below about 20 - 25 grams per day) whenever you do take vitamin C, make sure to do so away from meals as to eliminate greater iron assimilation.

SeekinTruth said:
Mr.Cyan said:

If you're in ketosis, you don't need to take vitamin C unless you have an acute condition like an infection. Also, if you're not in permanent ketosis (and keeping net carbs below about 20 - 25 grams per day) whenever you do take vitamin C, make sure to do so away from meals as to eliminate greater iron assimilation.

Thanks SeekinTruth for the advice, much appreciated. I normally am in ketosis for about 60% of the time - this is when I'm not travelling as i can then control my diet and greatly increase fat intake with choice organic meat cuts, and fatbombs; but when i have to travel, its a bit difficult to maintain ketosis, and i normally go Paleo (not a very healthy Paleo, as its difficult to find organic meat restaurants when on the move) . Even when in ketosis i supplement daily vitamin C, one 1000mg pill. Its taken normally not during meal times, and mostly at night. Looks like i have to really change my whole supplementation regime, and check my iron levels.......

Back
Top Bottom