Healing the fragmented self in the IFS therapeutic model

13 Twirling Triskeles said:
Nienna said:
Thank you Nienna -- I'm so sorry. I will refrain from using colors in future - except, as you advise, for emphasis.

It's precisely the reverse for me. It's the black type that is very difficult for me to read. So I didn't realize that black is actually easier for others to read. But as this is about practicing External rather than Internal Consideration, I will post in black rather than colors.

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I was wondering why most people used black rather than colors. I thought it was just laziness and preferring to use the default of black rather than experiment with other colors. Now I see that using black was actually practicing external considering and not laziness at all.

My apologies to other Forum Members for making it more difficult rather than easier to read my posts.

Thanks again. Lesson learned. :)

You don't need to apologize, nor feel that you did anything wrong. And, thank you for clarifying why you did this. :flowers:

Do you know that we have several different themes (colors) for this forum? Maybe you would like to try different ones to see if they are easier on your eyes to help with your reading? You can try the different themes by going to the top right corner of the page. Do you see all of the different colored boxes? Just click on one to change your theme and try it out. If you already know about these, then, sorry for the noise.

Oh Wow Nienna -- Thank you so much for that suggestion -- to try out the different theme colors. And using "color" text is much more difficult to read with certain theme colors than others. Now I see that if a Member uses one of the pretty theme colors, my text color would be very "ouch-on-the-eyes" -- and by extension, very "ouch-on-the-i's" as well.

And here I thought I was actually making it easier for readers to differentiate and locate specific paragraphs of Laura's quoted text that I was referring to in particular. The road to hell is paved with "good" intentions indeed. LOLOL

OK. I did experiment with the various color themes. I wanted to use "Pink" -- since that's my favorite color. However, the "Green" theme color seems to have a more peaceful, restful effect on me. So green it is. And, in future, I can change the theme color to another color if I so choose. Yay! I do love "options"!

I also wanted to rephrase the paragraph I bolded above. I realized after posting that and later thinking about what I'd said, that using the word "lazy" was so inappropriate -- and actually not true at all. Using the word "lazy" was really a reflection of my own "laziness". Instead of taking the time and making a small effort to be more externally considerate by slowing myself down and "thinking" more carefully about what I was typing -- and how it could, would, or even might be perceived by other Forum readers as unkind criticism, I defaulted to being lazy instead. What I should have said is --

I thought it was that most Forum Members are very busy and just don't have time to take extra steps to select other colors for their text -- which I can totally understand. Now I see that using black was actually practicing external considering and not due to lack of time at all.

I'm so happy that you made me aware of this -- thank you again, Nienna.

P. S. When I reach the proper number of posts, I can edit my previous posts from blue to black text. I don't want to ask the Moderators to do that. You all have enough to do without adding that onto your already full plates.

happyliza said:
obyvatel said:

I have just come across this thread and the method that you elaborated on IFS. Is anyone using this system? I certainly understood it better and much quicker that other methods to get to our main 'I'. So would be interested in getting some feedback before I may go off on the wrong tangent. It isn't so much the inner child part. More the terminology and method. However before I go off and try to get hold of the book I would like to know whether it is advisable to adopt this method as having read the whole thread there was little mention about the overall usefulness - mainly just why not to identify with inner child trauma etc.

What resonated with me is that I was really interested in doing hypnotherapy, and have done some study in that regard. The above method seems to use that same system - parts etc, to drill down, get permission etc to reach the root, cause, bypass the painful memories, blocks etc. Hypnotherapy can be a much quicker way to remove/be aware of the causes of trauma - as Laura has written about in much detail from her own extensive practise. So long as there is professional follow-up and one is lucky enough to have someone as experienced in the correct aspects for the client's requirements - example to lead or not to lead in certain instances.

So I liked the labels, as for me they were easy to remember, made perfect sense if the framework is used so self remember and 'identify' who or what is controlling - i.e. the many 'I's.

Hi HappyLiza -- In response to your question -- "Is anyone using this system?" -- below is my one experience using IFS. I do intend to use it again as I found it workable for me. So - FWIW and my 2 cents . . . .

I am finally able to post this experiment using IFS last August 5, 2013. Apologies for long delay.

This is what I’m able to recall from using the IFS process 8-1/2 months ago. I’m reconstructing this from memory since I tossed out the old journal book in which I wrote down the conversation process with one of my “Protectors”.

The “Protector” I worked with was “Hate” —which seems to connect, or hook into, “Anger” — another Protector.

Prior to reading this thread and experimenting with the IFS method, I had been doing the EE breathing & meditation exercises. In my initial EE meditation my “Anger” Protector disappeared.

My response was, “Oh No! I really need my Anger! That’s what protects me and prevents me from being run over and smashed to smithereens by predators!!”

No problem. The next day I got my “Anger” back. But it did feel like a major loss when it disappeared — and slightly worrisome that I’d lost it - even temporarily.

The most important point to remember throughout the IFS process is making sure I don’t lose my connection to the Internal Observer. To wit:

Unblending the Target Part. (In my case, the Target Part was “Hate”):

It is very easy to become identified with a Part that is activated, especially if the Part is accompanied by strong emotions. This identification is termed “blending” in IFS.

All the steps in IFS process require the Presence of an Internal Observer — the Self residing in the Seat-of-Consciousness of the Psyche. It is this Self who should observe the Target Part.

If the Target Part rather than the Self occupies the Seat-of-Consciousness, then one is identified with the Target Part (called “blending” in IFS). Then it becomes necessary to “Un-Blend” oneself from the Target Part in order to identify with the Internal Observer.

Blending occurs when the Person starts speaking in the First Person. Instead of saying, “This Part is angry”, the Person says “I am angry.”

So - keeping all this in mind while doing the IFS process is important.

Since I no longer have my notes, I will just recap the highlights.

I was able to maintain my identification as Internal Observer and permit my Target Part (Hate) to speak out about her hatreds.

After I completed that conversation, the best part (from my Internal Observer’s point of view) was that I continued to be identified with the Internal Observer for about a week thereafter.

And what I realized from that perspective was that this Internal Observer was usually in “hiding”. I think there are references on the Forum to something about this phenomenon. Paraphrasing — the Self (True I) cannot tolerate a “lie” — it is very sensitive to lies and cannot remain present in the presence of a lie. At any rate, in my experience, this Self seems reticent, modest, unboastful, conscientious, internally quiet, serene, and peaceful. So unlike the Ego and all it’s little i voices.

The result - or resolution of working with this particular Target Part (Hate) - however, was quite unexpected for me. Primarily because I was not addressing this particular issue at all. And the result was that my “hatred” of rain turned 180 degree opposition into a complete “love” of rain.

“Hating” or “Loving” rain may sound silly or weird to any normal person. But there is a background story which goes back to when I was 5 or 6 years old and got caught in a major wind and rain storm while walking to school.

I was completely drenched (soaking wet) when I arrived at school and my teacher took me to the principal’s office - who decided I had to go home in order to get out of my wet clothes. So he drove me home.

And what was going through my little child mind was:
“Oh No! They’re going to think my mother doesn’t care about me because she let me walk to school in this pouring rain and didn’t protect me from getting all wet!”

Well, that is the sort of conclusion a young child will come up with because that mind is not so logical as an adult mind, yes?

Therefore, all these years (61), I’ve suffered PTSD regarding rain. In efforts to escape and avoid rain, I had moved to many places over the years which, supposedly, had little rain.

Not when I arrived. Even if that particular place was known for drought conditions, once I arrived, it would begin raining. Not just rain. It would downpour and flood. I used to joke that “they” should send me to Africa to relief the droughts because if I was there, it would probably start flooding. I actually thought I attracted the rain because I hated it so much. Sort of a reverse wishful thinking because I definitely did not wish for rain. I wished for no rain.

The only time I got my wish for no rain was when I visited Thailand in Jan/Feb 2003. My little prayer was:

No wind - no rain.
So hot I can complain —
“It’s so hot I can’t stand it!”

And the weather was exactly that — no wind, no rain, so hot I could complain — “It’s so hot I can’t stand it!” And I absolutely loved it. It was such a relief and reprieve from all the wind and rain and cold I’ve endured for years and years.

And that’s pretty much it for that particular session.

Not sure if this would motivate others to attempt to use the IFS method for resolving issues with their Target Parts. However, since HappyLiza did ask if anyone had used this method and what the results were and would they recommend it to others on the Forum, I am posting my experience using this method for the first time.

I would say, yes, I can recommend it, but I think it likely depends on each person’s profile whether it would be useful for that particular person.

Another point would be that it might work better for some people to be in an actual therapy session with a qualified IFS therapist — especially if someone has difficulty remaining identified with the Internal Observer. With a therapist present to guide the person and notice if s/he switched out of Internal Observer into identifying with the Target Part, it would likely be easier — at least the first few times, until one gains a conceptual understanding and can self-observe enough to notice if s/he has moved out of Internal Observer mode into Target Part mode.

And, referring to replies by other posters on this thread, this process might work better for those whose Centers are seated in the Emotional Center rather than the Intellectual Center.

Well, I do hope this reply was of some use to others who were considering using the IFS process but were hesitant to try it until someone else had used it with any beneficial results. Operating as the Internal Observer for an entire week was certainly beneficial to me from my “I” point of view - and from others’ points of view as well, based on the positive feedback from several members of my family and long time friends.

So sorry in advance. I have not studied psychotherapy or related fields traditionally/academically, etc. I'm just depressed and really curious. I am desperate to fix, or get on the path b/c it's life or death.

I am probably completely wrong, but the way I understood this theory of Buddy's (originally i think), was to trim the emotional fat, the triggers, the pain and agony now that we have regurgitated and dry heaved every detail of an experience or incident, thus stripping it of it's power....hence:

I puked and it sucked.

There...no more power. I'm done. I will probably drink one too many beers again or eat too much cake or whatever (oversimplification), but the experience has now been pared down to it's basest form, and it's so meh/whatever, that we can probably forget how all that puking and such felt, that we are free of really any SIGNIFICANT feelings over the matter...

fahget about it and let it go finally? That's the way I took it, and that was my hope of his intent in the suggestion. I'm a depressed Dickens, so I would love to unravel every painful tapestry I visit a million times a day into a mere pile of thread that can be trashed, or used to make something helpful or a gift for someone else...anyways, thank you for your patience with my ramblings.

And thank you for the wellspring of musings and vast knowledge here along with documented resources!

Aloha awrecks.

Welcome to the Forum. I notice that this is your first post.

Thought I'd let you know that it's customary to introduce yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, and whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

It doesn't have to reveal too much personal information. But telling us a little bit about yourself will help us interact better, yes?. However, you need not share anything you consider too personal. You can take a look at how others have done it on that Newbies Thread. Thank you so much.

I think you may find answers to some of your questions (particularly about psychotherapy and related fields) by reading through the recommended books lists in the Psychology Board of the Forum -- as well as reading some of the threads in that Board as well.

Many of us can relate to that feeling of desperation which leads to clutching at straws or seeking a life preserver when we feel as if we're drowning in emotional upheaval. So we understand the panic and anxiety that can engulf our minds and by-pass our analytical and rational mind. But you've discovered an incredible resource of people and information on this Forum and my suggestion is to take it slow & easy and one-step-at-a-time -- even though that's difficult to do. And based on my own experiences on this Forum (and many other Forum Members as well), I can pretty much guarantee you CAN and WILL receive as much help as we are capable of offering. So, even though our normal human tendency is to want to rush and hurry to solve our problems in haste, I advise you to take a very deep breath and slow down -- which will help you think more slowly and in your own best interests, yes?

And, along with the Psychology Board, you may also wish to check out the Eiriu-Eolas and Diet and Health Threads. Oddly enough, we have discovered (well, really, Laura has discovered through trial & error and lots of research) that certain breathing techniques and definitely diet play a huge part in our mental, emotional, spiritual, psychic, and physical health and well being. So it's not exclusively about psychology. There are many facets which contribute towards our overall health.

Again, WELCOME, and we all look forward to your continued participation. :)

You can click on the first link below — which will take you to the Newbies Thread.

Cheers . . . and have a great day!

Newbies Board:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?board=39.0

Eiriu-Eolas Board:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,12837.0.html

Psychology Board:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/board,74.0.html

Diet and Health Board:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/board,32.0.html

Have Fun! :)

I keep coming across this thread and this IFS method is very good. It is very similar to what I have been applying to integrate the "inner child" fragments (exiles) when one of those gets triggered and comes up to the surface.

In my experience, this integration of the fragments or "little i's" is more challenging than healing "normal" wounds and trauma. In this case, there is a part that has been energetically broken off in childhood and sort of has a life of its own.

The main approach is always to find the "Adult Self" (instead of being identified in the "inner child" fragment) and stay in that place. What has worked for me is to extend feelings of love, acceptance and approval from the Adult Self to the hurting fragment.

The IFS method of trying to find copperation from the fragment can be helpful too. I've had the experiences that talking to the "inner child" fragment and reassuring it can help in its integration into the "Adult Self", which is really the Authentic Self or real "I".

Reactions: SMM
Back
Top Bottom