Dental Health

Re: Inflamed/infected tooth root

1) Take some hydrogen peroxide into your mouth, swish vigorously and then hold it as long as you can before spitting it out. Do this two or three times a day.

3) Use some saline solution from the pharmacy to dilute some DMSO take a bit in your mouth and swish it and hold it as long as you can. Then spit it out. Then, takes some of the diluted DMSO and apply it to your jaw with a sterile cotton. You can apply the DMSO a couple times a day.

That should fix you right up.

(I've done it myself and so have others and it works.)

Bo, I had more or less the same thing happen to me about a month ago. I got the pain on a Saturday and had to wait until Monday to call my dentist, only to find out that they were closed due to holidays. I couldn't wait the extra week and decided to change to a holistic dentist. The infected root was under a big amalgam filling and I decided to use this opportunity to have all my amalgam fillings removed. Expensive, but one step down the road to detoxification :D

You're in one painful spot and I hope that you get the tooth fixed SOON.

here is what has worked for me
get some echinacea tincture(often sold as cold remedie) and soak a piece of blini with it ,place against the painfull tooth and keep there untill it disolves,swallow and repeat
step 2
the echinacea should bring the infection to the surface in a bubble on your gums
take a slice of raw potatoe and place it on the bubble
keep it there to pull out the puss by osmosis
replace with fresh piece when it gets dark and wrinkly

this should fix it as in heal the infection!

:D ECHINACEA RULES
I used to grow the stuff

Hi Bo,
If you have a root infection you would probably have to take some antibiotics. Without an X-ray it would be difficult to say. Doing a cleansing topical treatment will do little to nothing if it involves your root. If your tooth is sensitive you may want to try some sensodyne toothpaste to alleviate some of the pain (it has fluoride but it is a topical treatment, but works well for sensitivity). If your teeth have shifted due to wisdom teeth involvement, you may be hitting this bicuspid prematurely. In other words you occlude with this tooth first instead of a group function ( hitting all teeth at the same time). In which case you will need your dentist to check your bite with articulation film/paper and do an equilibration (make small adjustments to all occlusal surfaces) to make sure you are not putting undue pre-load on that tooth.
If you are a bruxer (grind your teeth at night) due to stress. You would want to get a hard night guard/splint and not a soft night guard as the soft one will induce more grinding and put more stress on your TMJ ( Tempoomadiibular joint). This could be a number of things so don't panic yet. I do not know your age or what type of restoration you may have in that tooth. I am in the dental industry and know of what I speak....
Good luck,
Fastwalker

I will add that, yes, you will have to see a dentist. Taking antibiotics might calm it down, but I've found by long trial and error that oral antibiotics will not ever completely get rid of a gum infection. It will smolder there for years, erupting now and again when you least expect it. I had one that I battled for about 20 years. Just six weeks ago, I finally gave in and had the root canal done (which all the holistic types and alt health people rail against). Sorry, I don't agree with them based on experience.

Within a couple of weeks of this treatment, a whole lot of inflammation in my whole body calmed down. Now that I've got the crown on, it feels wonderful to not have that feeling of something bad there that I have carried for years. We took before and after Xrays and then another a few weeks later. The difference is profound.

I also applied doxycycline with DMSO directly to my jaw after the procedure for about a week.

Also, I have one tooth that was given the root therapy over 30 years ago that has never given me one minute's trouble. None.

Anyway, if you have some kind of festering inflammation there, you can try a number of things (including DMSO and antibiotics applied to the jaw) to try to get rid of it first, but if none of that works, go for the root therapy.

Laura said:
I will add that, yes, you will have to see a dentist. Taking antibiotics might calm it down, but I've found by long trial and error that oral antibiotics will not ever completely get rid of a gum infection. It will smolder there for years, erupting now and again when you least expect it. I had one that I battled for about 20 years. Just six weeks ago, I finally gave in and had the root canal done (which all the holistic types and alt health people rail against). Sorry, I don't agree with them based on experience.

Within a couple of weeks of this treatment, a whole lot of inflammation in my whole body calmed down. Now that I've got the crown on, it feels wonderful to not have that feeling of something bad there that I have carried for years. We took before and after Xrays and then another a few weeks later. The difference is profound.

I also applied doxycycline with DMSO directly to my jaw after the procedure for about a week.

Also, I have one tooth that was given the root therapy over 30 years ago that has never given me one minute's trouble. None.

Anyway, if you have some kind of festering inflammation there, you can try a number of things (including DMSO and antibiotics applied to the jaw) to try to get rid of it first, but if none of that works, go for the root therapy.

The pain is gone and it's replaced with a swollen feeling that I now have below that area, it feels like something there is swollen, atleast the pain is gone.

I just bought the hydrogen peroxide and will have to dilute it with water, i will do that 4 times a day, after that I will use the DMSO , what % would be the best? around 40%?

here is what has worked for me
get some echinacea tincture(often sold as cold remedie) and soak a piece of blini with it ,place against the painfull tooth and keep there untill it disolves,swallow and repeat
step 2
the echinacea should bring the infection to the surface in a bubble on your gums
take a slice of raw potatoe and place it on the bubble
keep it there to pull out the puss by osmosis
replace with fresh piece when it gets dark and wrinkly

this should fix it as in heal the infection!

thanks for the suggestion rraaven :)

If you are a bruxer (grind your teeth at night) due to stress.

I don't grind my teeth at night, so that leaves that out.

Just went through a root canal experience last month, my heart goes out to you :cry:

I was so hoping it was just a cavity but when the dentist said over the phone that sensitivity to cold is a sign of more complications than a simple fill. Anyway it was about a 3 week period where I tried various avoidance strategies like chewing on the other side, not drink cold stuff etc.. till I finally called the dentist. The pain was just too intense. For the week preceding the first appointment the only thing that helped was prescription pain killer. Advil etc. didn't touch it.

The root canal itself was a 3 part (week/appointments) affair however after the first visit when he removed the root the pain was gone. The only thing left now is the crown which I may do early next year.

Dental care is critical! Without it the teeth just get pulled thus so much suffering and toothless people. In all the discussions of overall health it seems to be under the radar too often.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advices, the pain is completly gone and the swollen feeling has dissapeared as well, but i still have to go and make a picture of my tooth to get some details on it.

Re: Teeth becoming dark

SAO said:
Laura said:
Get a sonic toothbrush and clay-based whitening toothpaste and spend a full two minutes on your teeth each time you brush. (three times per day). You can also use a peroxide gel whitener that you can find on amazon fairly inexpensively.
I swear we need our own "wikihow" type website. This forum is becoming a source on how to healthily and effectively do almost anything..

I agree. I know we are encouraged to search but it can take a long time to sift through so many posts ;D

I've noticed those same stains just on the inside of my teeth too. I only noticed it after I started smoking and they faded to almost nothing with more careful and persistent brushing with an electric brush. I use bentonite clay to clean my teeth.

I smoke a lot and drink a lot of coffee, and when I saw the stains on the inside of my teeth, the first thing I did was grab a metal dental pick. I know the dentist always says "Never put sharp metal things in your mouth", and then proceeds to grab a sharp metal thing, put it in my mouth, and goes to town... so I did the same, scraped the stains off the back of my teeth, as well as possible, and took the rest of them out with a good brushing.

Re: Teeth Health

I checked with my dentist and they said that all of the composite resin fillings contain some form of BPA, and that my only other option would be to get an "inlay" which is like a crown that goes all the way around the tooth and costs over $800 (compared to $150 for the filling). I can't afford to spend that much, and the procedure sounds much more invasive, so I guess I'm going to go with the composite resin.

Searching on the internet did not help much. The consensus from the articles I found seemed to be that the highest risk of BPA exposure comes immediately after the filling is installed, and this risk can be largely mitigated by scrubbing the filling and rinsing the mouth.

Amalgam removal - a few questions

I've found an excellent mercury-free dentist who has a good protocol for removing amalgam fillings. He has not used amalgam in his practice for twelve years. I've dragged my heels a bit on this issue, mainly because it is pretty expensive, but finally, treatment begins the day after tomorrow when I'll be having two or three replaced. I have a total of eight amalgam fillings to be removed which will be completed over the next three or four weeks, depending on availability of appointments.

I've been looking into ways to support myself with supplements and so on and I've found some useful information both here on the forum and on the internet. The following seem to be the main points - any comments and suggestions from those with experience in amalgam removal are very much appreciated. Bear in mind that I am not starting mercury detox per se until all the amalgams have been removed. I should mention that my daily supplements are: multi-vitamin/mineral; vitamin C; ALA, NAC; magnesium citrate; fish oil; milk thistle; vitamin D3; digestive enzymes.

Take some activated charcoal prior to the appointment in case of accidental swallowing of amalgam material. I found a reference to this but no indication as to the amount one should take, or whether it is really necessary. How long before the appointment should one take it? Perhaps just 15 minutes before so the charcoal is in the stomach in case of accidental swallowing?

Take vitamin C before the appointment. My dentist suggests that one gram would be enough. Personally I think more would be better. I find dentist visits and especially fillings to be quite stressful, and knowing that the body uses more vit C in times of stress, I think something like this would be good: 2 grams every two hours beginning when I get up on the day of the appointment. This means I would be taking a total of 8 - 10 grams before the procedure. Continuing with high doses of vit C for one or two days after the procedure, then back to my normal daily dose, and monitoring bowel tolerance while the dose is high.

Should one increase the daily dose of NAC in addition to increased doses of vit C after amalgam removal?

I came across a suggestion that one should stop taking ALA for three months after amalgam removal, because ALA crosses the blood-brain barrier. I'm not sure of the necessity or rationale for this since I'm already taking it now while I have amalgam fillings. Is it because mercury is released into the blood when amalgam fillings are removed? And one should wait for the mercury to be cleared from the blood before continuing to take ALA?

From the Session 28 November 2009 thread:

broken.english said:
Laura said:
Bluestar said:
Another question I have regarding heavy metal detoxing is, if one has silver mercury teeth filling in the mouth, can we start heavy metal detoxing or is it all for not until we rid the fillings?

I've been detoxing for about 15 months now and only last month did I begin the process of having my mercury fillings removed. I knew I needed to feel better all over in general before I took the risk of stirring that mess up. In fact, I had the second one removed this morning and will go in Friday to have the porcelain molded one installed. Next week I'll have two appointments and do another. I've got appointments scheduled into February just to get this job done. At the end, I'll have to detox all the novocaine!

Did you consider to discontinue ALA for a while? I found a website which compiles a lot of information on mercury detox mostly related to Cutler. There it says ALA should be discontinued for at least three months after amalgam removal as it crosses the blood-brain barrier and is too risky after an acute mercury exposure.

That makes some sense to me. I think it is better to detox organs first, then brain.

The link is here: _http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/Andy_dose_sched.html#amalgam (s. bottom of page)

The linked page doesn't do much to explain why this is recommended. It says:

How long to wait after amalgam replacement before chelating:

* for DMSA: at least 4 days
* for ALA: at least 3 months. ALA has specific risks because it crosses the blood-brain-barrier. It is riskier if used soon after mercury exposure (such as soon after amalgam replacement). This should be considered in deciding when to use ALA.

Would it be best to stop taking ALA until three months after all the amalgams have been removed? Or is it OK to continue with ALA during and after the removal process? I would really like to understand why this three month period is recommended, and I've been hunting around on the net and the forum for an answer but so far haven't found one.

Arnica 6c, one tablet four times the day before, and a couple of tablets before the procedure, continuing after treatment for the day, and one tablet four times the following day if required, to control trauma from the drilling.

Continue with FIR blanket sessions to help the detox process.

Re: Amalgam removal - a few questions

I don't have enough expertise to say anything definite, but your plan sounds good to me. At least it's in a whole other league than my 'detox-protocol' my dentist suggested ca 4 years ago when I removed my amalgams. The only thing he recommended were: zinc, selenium and a good quality multivitamin with antioxidants. Are you planning to take selenium too?

Good luck, let's hope the procedure(s) go well. The most important thing might be that the leaks and fumes of mercury can be minimized. And try to go without anesthesia, you get less poisons in your body that way. I did it, except for one very big filling; when he drilled it in half(as they do) the pain was too much because the nerve of the tooth was in contact with the drill (the cavity was so big and deep). But overall I wouldn't say that it hurt at all. They just drill the filling in half and pull the pieces with pliers(at least that's what my dentist did).

Apropos, if any of the Finnish readers are planning to do this, I can recommend the perfect guy for the job. :)

Re: Amalgam removal - a few questions

Hi Aragorn, thanks for the encouragement! :) I will be having anaesthesia for the procedure, I don't like the idea of work on my teeth without it. However, I came across some very interesting information regarding vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and anaesthesia:

C gets in the way
The American Association of Nurse Anesthetists identifies the three primary causes of IOA as the misuse or failure of anesthesia equipment, inadequate anesthesia, and patient-related factors. In this third category, variables such as advanced age, obesity, and drug or alcohol abuse may compromise the effect of anesthesia. In fact, even high doses of vitamin C may interfere.

In the e-Alert "C Saw" (5/28/03), HSI Panelist Allan Spreen, M.D., explained that a high level of vitamin C is so detoxifying that it can complicate the anesthesia process. He said, "Many times I've had patients tell me that their anesthesiologist was surprised at how much medication was required to knock them out." For those patients who take large doses of vitamin C (something that Dr. Spreen generally recommends), he suggests that they gradually taper off their daily dose until reaching nearly zero just before the surgery.

Quoted from: http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/drugs/anesthesia2.html

Having read about this, I have revised my thinking on taking vit C before the procedure, and will take a small quantity before the procedure, and increase the dose afterwards, which will have the added benefit of detoxing the novocaine from my body.

Also, I had not come across selenium in relation to mercury detox, but having read about it I think I will be adding it to my supplement regimen.

Back
Top Bottom