"Life Without Bread"

anart said:
Megan said:
Stopping or resuming cheese has never had any visible effect on my health.

Megan, considering the significant health problems you've had, I find it fascinating that it's going totally over your head that dairy likely (or most definitely) contributed. Could this be the addictive effects of dairy talking?
I decided to drop cheese again, having seen the effect that I was looking for from increased fat and given the uncertainties surrounding casein and the sense of people here that it is not a good idea to consume it. It is more the latter. It took me a while to go through the forum and review various threads on the subject that I had missed previously.

I am trying to take in a large body of seemingly conflicting information about food from both the forum here and numerous other sources, and choose a course of action appropriate for my individual situation. While it might seem dangerous to reintroduce casein even as a test, experimenting with high fat and/or protein diets based on other foods might be dangerous too, either for particular individuals or generally. In the past I tried to follow scientifically based dietary advice from "respected authorities," mainstream and alternative, with bad consequences because it seems everyone was actually parroting the same junk science.

In retrospect that doesn't seem to have been a very good approach. Just today the New York Times proclaimed that "sedentary" work causes obesity, something I thought we already "knew" (not!), based on that same junk science. The bad assumptions ("calories in; calories out") are so deeply rooted now that nobody can see them. So I don't know exactly what to do but I have a feeling that one way or another this group will find its way.

Now I need to get busy and find a better way to balance fat and protein.

Harold said:
I think I've been following this thread since it started. I have been bread free for a week and more or less for the last few weeks. I have stopped drinking coffee also. Meat, eggs, fat, tubers ie. onions, garlic, ginger and yam... that sums up my diet. I have replaced bread with buckwheat and quinoa pancakes... hasn't been easy but it is getting better. I have had aches, lots of tummy grumbling, huge hunger at first and a head ache. Very little energy which has lessened gradually. A couple days of 16 hours of sleep. Very tired the first three weeks. I have added Chorella a month ago and Gaba a week ago. The first time I took Chorella I got a big headache. After the Gaba, my energy really picked up and my sleep habits have started to return... 8 hours of sleep is good enough again.

Prior to this diet change I was overworked for the past month, so my energy drain had to do with this also.

Adding new diet choices is my new challenge. So this thread is great.

I have to add that the recent April 9 transmission from Laura and company :wizard:, my EE instructor's :halo::guru::ce ol2:, ... and this thread :flowers: are really supportive and have helped tip the scale so to speak.

It is great to read how motivated you are Harold and how you are challenging many program at the time and persevere on the diet and EE class and all. I hope to get a chance to go to Toronto this summer and do and EE class with all of you. :thup:

For my part, my heart burn stopped after I gave my stomach some rest for 48 hours (Saturday and Sunday) and by Monday I was back eating fat at every meal but at first diminished the portion. I didn't take the supplement yet, didn't have time to go to the health store to buy it but, taking smaller portion more often of fat throughout the day, my stomach doesn't complain anymore. As for the carbs daily intake, I have lowered it to less than 72 gram for many days now and no more withdrawal effect are felt. I did improve the pemmican taste by making energy bar with it simply by topping them with almond butter and home made chocolate and the result is amazing. I came up with this idea today as my daughter brought back her pemmican untouched in her lunch bag the last to days. After she taste the energy bar, I'm quit sure from her reaction that they won't stay uneaten tomorrow. :lol:

One way to add fat daily here is to always have bacon or duck fat to add in sauce or saute my veggie or reheat the quinoa. I add fat in every things and love it. :knitting:

Hello

some article about paleo diet:

The Power Of Paleo... By Ben Coomber by MP
Published on 20-05-2011 04:02 PM

If you haven’t heard of eating “paleo” yet, one might ask where an earth have you been? Living in a hole? Perhaps living in a hole would be an apt description for a paleo eater seeing as paleo can literally mean to “eat natural”. If someone was living in a hole they would likely eat to their surroundings, game meat, small poultry, eggs, fish, veggies, some fruits in summer, nuts and other seasonal fare. Although none of us are living in holes nowadays, hopefully, we can indeed learn a lot from what we consider to be a paleolithic diet without the staples of the modern world for enhancing our health, weight loss and athletic performance (1-3).

2d26br.jpg

Definition of a paleolithic diet: a nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture (the wider spread introduction of flours such as wheat). In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual or proposed ancestral human diet of our forefathers (1-6).

Many old school researchers have spent their days assessing what is believed to be the natural human diet, and what has caused the increase in obesity and disease onset now our food choices in the supermarket are literally limitless. The prime purveyor of such research has been Weston A price (2), a dentist who travelled the world analysing peoples diets for signs of tooth decay and the reasons for its sharp rise is his practice. He found that populations such as the inuits, masai and many others who based their diets in varying proportions animal proteins, fats, fruits and vegetables showed no signs of dental abnormalities, facial defects or a genetic predisposition to disease. Yet saw a sharp rise in such populations that were starting to adopt a diet of westernised foods containing processed flours, sugar and hydrogenated fats. Such issues interestingly disappeared when locals reverted back to their natural eating habits of non-westernised foods.

Let us take an extreme view and look at what the proposed paleo diet removes from the diet:
1. Flour and grains (such as bread, pasta, rice, cereals)
2. Sugar (processed goods, fruit juices, sauces, canned drinks)
3. Dairy (milk, cheese).
4. For some this also includes pulses such as beans and chick peas (1).
This is an extreme view, taking a lighter view we need to assess what might be the “problem” or unnecessary foods and remove them, yet with other staples use them for their strengths and advantages (such as dairy if handled well). After all no food is inherently bad, but its application must be considered and understood.

But the above list of foods are what we might consider the staple of everyone’s diet right? Bread and milk anyone? Surely it’s the right approach as the government even recommends that we consume at least a third of our dietary intake from “whole grains” such as bread, cereals and pasta with the addition of dairy for protein and calcium benefits (7). Porridge for breakfast, chicken sandwich with a fruit salad for lunch, and a homemade lamb curry with brown rice for dinner. A third of your dietary intake right there in that basic daily meal plan (one that a government nutritionist would put two thumbs up to). Well I’ve never liked many government nutritionists and you shouldn’t either.

The short answer is that all these foods are new to the human body. If you got out a tape measure and highlighted the period of time that such agriculturally derived foods have been in our diet, it will be a fraction of the time humans have existed. Many will lead you to believe that our bodies have evolved to accept these new foods, but this is simply anecdotally wrong information (for the most part, don’t shoot me yet, keep reading). The human genome takes roughly 10,000 years to change 0.01% and the widespread use of agriculturally derived flour products have been around for roughly 10,000 years (1-3).

The problem with grains is this: many contain gluten, which from my experience 80-90% of people feel better and lose more weight without. Grains are also poor in their nutritional density compared to other carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables and starchy root vegetables (3), and cause the most problems with energy levels, blood sugar regulation, brain neurotransmitter delivery, gut inflammation, immune system health and an overall feeling of well-being. Grains are the 1st food I test every client for, through simple elimination. Take them out 100% for 2 weeks, have a sandwich and then let me know how you feel.

Reading this I assume your health and fitness is important to you? Well removing any food that is an issue (as common with gluten in grains, lactose in dairy, and lectins in pulses) for starters will improve your hormone profile (testosterone, growth hormone and cortisol ). Such optimization equates to better weight loss and maximises gains in the gym.

We take our hormones for granted, but abuse them too much and the road to recovery is long once you have exhausted their capacity to work optimally. When your body is adverse to a substance such as gluten and dairy, an exposure once a month is enough to create an internal state of inflammation leading to greater weight gain and health problems (1). This means you have an inflamed intestinal lining as a result, which can lead to mal-absorption of nutrition. You want to absorb and utilise all that food and supplements you are taking right?

So if we take out all the grains, where will we get our carbs from you might ask? Well how many carbs do you need? Old body building folk lore might say that you need the complex carbs at breakfast from porridge, the brown rice with chicken at lunch, then the post workout carb load, otherwise you will not make gains and have enough energy to train. This is simply not the case, but can be the case for some. A mention of individuality is key here as some do well on starchy carbs, but from my experience with countless clients and athletes; this is not the case for many of us Brits. Yet a higher intake of protein and good fats are far more beneficial for health, performance and day long energy production. The ancestral British diet is proposed to come largely from game, small bird poultry, fish, vegetables, some fruits, nuts and seeds depending on location and season.

But with this point in mind, the high exerciser will need a greater amount of dense carbohydrates, but strategically placed. This is usually post workout in the recovery period to restore glycogen levels. But there is again another caveat with this, what type of exercise did you perform, to what volume and intensity, and for what duration, all of which will have an impact on the amount of carbohydrate re-loading required post workout.

For the classic gym trainer a heavy carb load is not necessary when largely training on a body part split. Indeed calories are important, but these can come from more beneficial calories like good fats, proteins, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, coconut, butter, fish, dark chocolate with the addition of some starchy carbs. Such starchy carbohydrates also don’t have to contain gluten, you can opt for rice, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, quinoa and parsnips and you can still acquire the carb load you desire but with more nutrition and less gut, immune and hormonal aggravation.

I will end on what I feel is a list of pro’s for a paleo style of eating (there is a reason there is not a list of cons):

1. More nutritional density per calorie
2. Better omega 3 to omega 6 fat ratio from fish and grass fed beef and less grain and seeds based oils
3. More soluble fibre
4. Mimics what is believed to be a more ideal human diet
5. Is less inflammatory to the gut, immune system and hormones
6. Provides more cholesterol and saturated fats leading to a greater increase in testosterone
7. More anti-oxidants, phyto-nutrients, vitamins and minerals
8. Less sugar
9. Minimise bad and processed fat intake
10. Naturally avoids artificial additives and preservatives
11. Naturally removes common problem substances such as gluten, wheat, dairy protein, lactose and lectins.
12. The brain runs better on a lower carb intake increasing mental focus and concentration
Indeed this is not a gospel hearing, many foods listed may not pose a problem to you if eaten, but knowing this you are now more aware of what the body really needs nutritionally and you can experiment with various food sources, but with a reason to do so.

Full fat dairy being a prime example. If you handle dairy well then it can be great for building muscle as it is full of growth factors. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for gluten containing grains, I have no justification for its benefit other than for variety if you can handle gluten. Experiment with doing a trial period without it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome, especially if you have trouble staying or getting lean. I think we can agree that we are all after a lean, athletic and muscular physique, and that comes from the highest quality nutrition you can consume. Perhaps the “paleo” paradigm can show us a credible direction for the future of sports nutrition......

Ben Coomber is an Internationally Certified Sports Nutritionist (ISSN) and personal trainer working with athletes, sports enthusiasts and pursuers of optimal health, strength and leanness through his company Body Type Nutrition.

References:

1. Wolf, R. (2010). The Paleo Solution. (1st Ed). Victory Belt Publishing.
2. Price, W. A. (2010). Nutrition and physical degeneration. (7th Ed). California: Oxford City Press.
3. Cordain, L., Eaton, S. B., Sebastian, A., Mann, N., Lindeberg, S., Watkins, B. A., O’Keefe, J. H. & Brand-Miller, J. (2005). Origins and evolution of the western diet: Health implications for the 21st century. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 81(2):341-354.
4. Lindeberg, S. (2005). Palaeolithic diet ("stone age" diet). Scandinavian Journal of Food & Nutrition. 49(2):75–7.
5. Bryngelsson, S. & Asp, N. (2005). Popular diets, body weight and health: What is scientifically documented?. Scandinavian Journal of Food & Nutrition. 49(1) 15–20.
6. Eaton, S. B. (2000). Paleolithic vs. Modern diets – selected pathophysiological implications. European Journal of Nutrition. 39:67-70.
7. Food Standards Agency, 8 Tips for healthy Eating. (2009). Retrieved Feburary 21st, 2011 from: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydie...section/8tips/

source : http://alturl.com/9pzbj

Delicious picture, too. That's pretty much the contents of my fridge for the past 18 months, with afew more bits of pork and bacon. :lol:

stellar said:
Delicious picture, too. That's pretty much the contents of my fridge for the past 18 months, with afew more bits of pork and bacon. :lol:

yup but less Vegetables and more pork and fats :)

what I see this is similar to "our diet"

Yes, I think it is very similar to 'our diet' except that most of us, through experimentation are able to tolerate more of one food or less of another.

For example, I still cannot tolerate the nightshades so I avoid them. But as for fatty meats, YUMM :P

My main problem over the last few weeks has also been how to increase fat without increasing protein or carbs.

I have pretty much given up on my morning shake, as it carries quite a big carbohydrate load with it. When I take it, I leave the banana away, which makes the drink much less palatable.

While I think that a somewhat higher dose of protein is not too much of a problem, I still would like not to go overboard with it. I don't know of any good study that shows that higher protein amounts are detrimental to your health IN THE ABSENCE OF LOTS OF CARBS. I could very well imagine that the combination of high carbs and higher proteins is detrimental to your health, whereas high fat and higher proteins are not. At this stage it is purely conjecture, but I think that this makes sense in an evolutionary way. As hunter-gatherers it would be very hard to get fat without protein, as the main source of fat probably was meat.
The same might be true about salt intake. Salt may be unhealthy in higher doses if you ingest a lot of carbs, but may actually be NECESSARY, if you eat lots of fat. Again, no data to support this.

I have tried to bump up my fat intake mainly by making "butters" (garlic butter, herb butter etc.) that I can splash on everything that I eat. The only problem is, that I have experienced some joint pain in the last few days - which were all gone when I got off gluten - so I wonder. The other thing that I have done is to eat a kind of "energy bar" that I have made out of roasted almonds, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, shredded coconut, coconut oil and a few dried fruit as "sweetener", which comes down to 12g of protein/100g, 56g of fat/100g and 17g of carbs/100g. I can publish the exact recipe if some are interested. Again, not 100% sure if that is a good move, maybe it's my energy bar that is the joint ache culprit.

I found it astonishing, what mental programs have come up with this change of diet. While I "stomached" without any problem giving up gluten and casein, I find it surprisingly hard to "just eat meat" - it just "doesn't feel right". Same with eating butter just like that (even though I don't have any culinary problems with that - I quite like it), for "comfort" I always need kind of a matrix (or a vehicle) to get the food into my body.

Anyway, I will continue like that for the time being and will report any changes.

References:

Here is an excerpt from the book. It synthesizes all the info on anti-nutrients (or why grains are so evil!):

How to Keep Feces Out of Your Bloodstream (or Lose 10 Pounds in 14 Days)

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/

Following our Paleolithic ancestors, our Neolithic ancestors lost an average of six inches in height. Most people now have those last 5-10 pounds that seem impossible lose. The causes for both, surprisingly, may be the same.

Robb Wolf can explain. Robb, a former research biochemist, has functioned as a review editor for the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism and is co-owner of NorCal Strength & Conditioning, one of the Men’s Health “top 30 gyms in America.” He’s also a former California State Powerlifting Champion with a competition 565 lb. squat, 345 lb. bench, 565 lb. deadlift…

I have known of Robb for several years, but I only met him through a friend a week ago. Several weeks earlier, that same friend had sent me a copy of Robb’s book, The Paleo Solution, which I ended up devouring in a few sittings. The chapters on digestion and improving digestion where particularly fascinating to me, and, for that reason, this post is a book excerpt. It details a particular problem and specific solutions. Enjoy.

Enter Robb Wolf.

A Common Problem

Below I describe several people who at first glance appear different, but in fact they all share a common problem. They had significant health issues with no apparent cause or solution and assumed they had no treatment options, as their doctors were stumped and could offer few solutions.

For you, this chapter may represent the “missing link” in your quest for improved performance and health.

Alex, Age Five

I first learned of Alex from my friend Kelly. She related a story of a little boy who was very sick, underweight, and suffering from constant digestive problems. If you like kids and other small, scurrying critters, Alex’s features and symptoms were literally heartbreaking. He had painfully skinny arms and legs, attached seemingly at random to a torso dominated by a prominently distended belly. At night Alex thrashed and turned in his bed, wracked by diffuse pain in his arms, legs and, especially, his belly. Alex had severe lethargy and a “failure to thrive.” His doctors ran extensive tests but found nothing conclusive. They recommended a bland diet of toast, rice puddings, and yogurt, but with no benefit to the little guy.

Kelly contacted me on behalf of the family and asked if I had any ideas that might help Alex. I made a few specific recommendations, which the parents enacted immediately. Within ten days, Alex’s perpetually distended belly was flat and normal. He gained six pounds in a little over two weeks and was noticeably more muscular in the arms and legs. His sleep shifted from the thrashing, restless bouts that left him listless and tired, to the sleep all kids should have: restful, unbroken, and filled with dreams. Alex’s energy improved to such a degree that the other kids and parents could hardly imagine he was the same kid. He was healthy and happy, all because of a simple adjustment he and his family made to his eating.

Sally, Age Sixty-One

Sally was referred to us by her family physician. Sally’s doctor had worked with her on a variety of issues: low thyroid, osteoporosis, gall bladder problems, depression, and high blood pressure. It was an impressive and ever-growing list of ailments that both Sally and her doctor attributed to “normal” aging. Her doc was pretty forward thinking, however, in that she recommended that Sally perform “weight bearing exercise” to help slow the progression of the osteoporosis and muscle wasting that been accelerating in the past four to five years.

When this recommendation brought Sally to us, she was a bit reluctant to get started with a strength-training program and was very reluctant to modify or change her nutrition. We were gentle but persistent.

Our recommendations focused on specific changes to her nutrition and lifestyle. Within two months Sally was off her thyroid medications, her gall bladder issues were gone, she was four pants sizes smaller, while her symptoms of depression had disappeared. After six months of training with us and following our nutrition recommendations, it was discovered that she was no longer osteoporotic.

Of all the improvements, Sally’s doctor was most impressed with the increased bone density. She asked Sally what she had modified to affect this change. When Sally told her doctor how she had changed her nutrition, her doctor pondered things for a moment, then said, “Well, it must be something else! Food can’t do all that.”

Jorge, Age Forty

Jorge started working with us primarily to lose weight. At five feet nine inches and 325 pounds, Jorge was heading down a path of significant illness stemming from type 2 diabetes and obesity. Compounding Jorge’s situation was a condition neither he nor his doctors could figure out. Nearly every time Jorge ate, he would break out in a rash and his tongue would swell. Like really swell. Jorge had to keep an epi-pen on his person at all times, similar to someone who has a severe allergy to bee stings or peanuts.

Jorge is a practicing attorney and several times a week he would dash out of the courtroom on a mad trip to the emergency room, where he would receive antihistamines to bring his tongue swelling under control. His doctors were (again) stumped. His blood work did not show a specific allergy, nor did he appear to have a full-blown autoimmune disease. Certain immune cells were obviously overactive, but in an atypical fashion that left the allergists and rheumatologists scratching their heads.

We recommended a nutritional change for Jorge, which he fought tooth and nail. God has never made a person more appropriate to be an argumentative lawyer! Part begging, part threatening, we finally won Jorge over and told him, “Just do this for a month. If it does not work, what have you lost? If it does work, what will you have gained?”

Jorge gave things a shot and his tongue swelling disappeared. Now a year later, Jorge is down to 255 pounds and making headway toward his goal of a lean, strong 225 pounds. Thankfully, Jorge now argues for us instead of against us! Not to beat up on the physicians too much, but when Jorge told his docs what he changed, they too did not believe the cause and effect staring them straight in the face.

So, What Did We Do?

It will come as a surprise for most people that the underlying cause of all the issues described above, in these very different people, was the same thing—a common component in nearly everyone’s diet. Gluten.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye oats, and barley. Other grains such as corn and rice have similar, but less problematic proteins (we will talk about that later).

OK, calm down, I get it. Bread, pasta, and cookies are yummy. They are also likely killing you. The other sections of this book I’m willing to give you a “pass” on understanding the technical points. Most people kinda get the insulin/high-carb issue. People are slowly realizing there are “good fats.” So, I’ll not hold you responsible for that material. However, I insist you read this grain issue, ponder it, and then do what I recommend.

We are going to learn the whole story about gluten, grains, and their roles in disease. I’ll then give you quantifiable measures for determining how much healthier you are without them. Then it’s all up to you. If you want to be healthy, you will find some level of compliance that works for you.

We have all seen pictures or videos of smokers dying from lung cancer yet still smoking through tracheotomy holes in their throats. Amazing, right? How can people do that? Well, gluten consumption is on par with a pack-a-day smoking habit.

Like most things, we need to start at the beginning.

Grains Anatomy

When I say “grain,” I am talking about one of many domesticated grasses in the gramineae family. This includes staples such as wheat, rye, oats, barley, millet, rice, and sorghum. These plants are derivatives or descendants from wild grasses that have been managed and bred for 2,000–5,000 years. All grains have the following anatomy:

5005755851_b362abfef7_o.jpg

Bran:

The bran is the outer covering of a whole, unprocessed grain. It contains vitamins, minerals, and a host of proteins and antinutrients designed to prevent the predation, or eating, of the grain. When you see brown rice, the bran is the flakey outer covering of the rice.

Endosperm:

The endosperm is mainly starch with a bit of protein. This is the energy supply of a growing grain embryo. When you see white rice, this is the endosperm with bran and germ removed.

Germ:

The germ is the actual reproductive portion of the grain. This is where the embryo resides.

In the wild, the cereal grain is distributed by the wind, and when conditions are right, the germ (embryo) begins the process of growth using the endosperm for energy. It may come as a surprise, but plants are not benign, altruistic organisms just waiting to send their next generation of young into our mouths in the form of sushi rice or French bread. Grains, like all critters on this planet, face the challenge of surviving long enough to reproduce. This is particularly problematic for grains in that their most nutrient-dense portion (the part we eat) happens to be the reproductive structure.

Sidebar: Oats, Quinoa, and False Friends

Hey Robb, I appreciate your concern, but my dietician told me Oats are gluten-free, so no need to worry about my morning bowl of oatmeal? Yep, I love oatmeal too, but it contains similar proteins to gluten. Cereal grains tend to have proteins that are high in the amino acid proline. These prolamines (proline rich proteins) are tough to digest, and thus remain intact despite the best efforts of the digestive process to break them down. The result is gut irritation, increased systemic inflammation, and the potential for autoimmune disease.

Corn has a similar prolamine called zein. Now you can heed or disregard this information as you please, but grains are a significant problem for most people. Upon removal of these grains, you will notice that you feel better. With reintroduction of grains…well, you feel worse. Keep in mind this inflammation is also a factor in losing weight and looking good, so don’t dismiss this if your primary goal is a tight tush. What I’m asking you to do is take 30 days and eat more fruits and veggies instead of the grains. See how you do. Not so hard, right? And just to head you off at the pass, let’s tackle two other grain related topics: “Whole grains” and Quinoa.

When we factor in their anti-nutrient properties, and potential to wreck havoc on our GI tract, grains are not a sound decision for health or longevity. For the purposes of our discussion, consider dairy and legumes in the same category.

[Note from Tim: Many of you know that I consume some legumes and beans. Normal cooking will reduce anti-nutrients in both, but, when possible, I also soak them overnight beforehand in water with a tablespoon of baking soda. Soaking for 24 hours at room temperature has been shown to remove 66% of the trypsin (protease) inhibitor activity in mung bean, 93% in lentil (this is what I eat most often), 59% in chickpea, and 100% in broad bean. Remember also to distinguish "in vitro" (e.g. red blood cells in a petri dish) vs. "in vivo" (e.g. after normal digestion) studies.]

Quinoa pops up frequently and the refrain goes like this, “Robb! Have you tried this stuff Quinoa (the pronunciation varies depending on how big a hippy you are). It’s NOT a grain! It’s fine, right?”

Well, you’ve likely heard the expression, “If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…” Quinoa is botanically not a grain, but because it has evolved in a similar biological niche, Quinoa has similar properties to grains, including chemical defense systems that irritate the gut. In the case of Quinoa, it contains soap-like molecules called saponins. Unlike gluten, which attaches to a carrier molecule in the intestines, saponins simply punch holes in the membranes of the microvilli cells. Yes, that’s bad. Saponins are so irritating to the immune system that they are used in vaccine research to help the body mount a powerful immune response. The bottom line is if you think grains or grain-like items like Quinoa are healthy or benign, you are not considering the full picture.

One for Me and One for You

Some plants, like blueberries or similar fruits, have evolved a strategy of “give a little to get a little.” Critters (us included) eat these fruits, then pass the seeds in a convenient, warm fertilized package that all but guarantees the next generation. Sewage systems aside, this is a reasonable trade off. The critter that eats the blueberries gets a little nutrition in exchange for spreading the blueberry seeds for subsequent generations of blueberries.

Other plants take a different approach and try to dissuade all predation by shrouding themselves in nasty substances that are either irritants or outright poisons. Consider poison oak or poison ivy. These plants have developed chemical warfare capabilities and use oils that have a tendency to work their way through the skin of animals that come in contact with the leaves. This oil sets off an alarm that irritates the immune system. Lymphocytes and other white blood cells attack the oil and in the process release pro-inflammatory chemicals that lead to a rash. Keep this idea in mind as we talk about grains, as it will help you to wrap your mind around what is happening when we eat this “staple” food.

If we compare grains to the strategies listed above, “give a little, get a little,” like the blueberry, or “bugger off,” like the poison oak, we see that grains are much more like poison oak. If a critter eats a grain, that’s it for the grain. That does not mean that the grain goes down without a fight! Grains are remarkably well equipped for chemical warfare.

Lectins:

Grains contain a variety of proteins, some of which are called lectins (not to be confused with the hormone leptin). In simple terms, lectins stick to specific molecules and thus play “recognition” roles in biological systems.

For our purposes, we will look at wheat germ agglutinin (WGA), which is one of the nastier lectins, but also one of the better studied. Keep in mind, WGA (or similar molecules) are found in all grains, but it’s my opinion (and that of many other researchers) that wheat, rye, and barley, which are the gluten-containing grains, are likely the worst of the bunch with regard to health. Millet is similar to oats, in that it contains a protein only a few amino acids different from gliadin (the main problem in gluten), and it is therefore problematic for digestion. Be careful with “gluten-free” snack foods that seem too good to be true, millet-based or otherwise. Corn and rice can also be problematic, but they are safer if consumed infrequently (we will look at this later). WGA and similar lectins are problematic for several reasons:

1. Lectins are not broken down in the normal digestive process. This leaves large, intact proteins in the gut. If you recall, most proteins are broken down in the digestive process, but the structure of some grain proteins makes them very difficult to digest (for the geeks: these proteins are high in the amino acid proline). Grains also contain protease inhibitors (dairy and some other foods also contain these), which further block the digestion of dangerous lectins. This lack of adequate protein digestion leads to serious problems, as you will see.

2. The lectins attach to receptors in the intestinal lumen and are transported intact through the intestinal lining. Remember how amino acids and sugars are transported out of the intestines during digestion? Certain lectins “fool” transport molecules in an effort to gain entry into our bodies intact.

3. These large, intact protein molecules are easily mistaken by the body as foreign invaders like bacteria, viruses, or parasites. It’s perhaps unpleasant to think about, but the intestines are not the nicest place to hang out. This area is a major source of infection by bacteria and viruses, and the immune system lies primed, waiting to pounce on any invading pathogen. Not only does WGA enter the system intact, it damages the intestinal lining, allowing other proteins to enter the system. Why is this a problem? Our immune system mounts an attack on these foreign proteins and makes antibodies against them. These antibodies are very specific to the shapes of these foreign proteins. Unfortunately, these proteins also tend to look like proteins in our body.
Brother from a Different Mother—Molecular Mimicry

Proteins are made of molecules called amino acids (AA). Let’s imagine for a minute these amino acids are represented by Legos, with different shapes and colors denoting different amino acids. Imagine a string of Legos with a specific sequence; let’s say its five to ten Legos long. Now imagine another, identical set of Legos attached on top of many more Legos. The top five to ten of the long piece is identical to the short piece.

Let’s assume the short piece is WGA and the long piece is a protein in the beta cells of your pancreas where insulin is made. If the WGA is attacked by the immune system and an antibody is made against it (because the body thinks WGA is a bacteria or virus), that antibody will not only attach to WGA, it can also attach to the protein in your pancreas. When that WGA antibody attaches to your pancreas, it precipitates a wholesale immune response—attacking that tissue. Your pancreas is damaged, or destroyed, and you become type 1 diabetic. If that protein happened to be in the myelin sheath of your brain, you would develop multiple sclerosis.

Celiac:

Most people are familiar with a condition called celiac, which is an autoimmune disease caused by gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and millet. It is clearly understood that celiac is an autoimmune disease caused by lectins. It is also clear that other autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Sjögren’s, multiple sclerosis, and a host of other autoimmune conditions occur at much higher rates in celiac patients. However, this association, for whatever reason, was largely dismissed as an anomaly until researchers recently made the connection between the development of celiac and other autoimmune diseases.

We now understood that WGA and other lectins have a significant effect on the enzyme transglutaminase (TG). Transglutaminase is an enzyme that modifies every protein we make in our body. How many proteins does TG modify folks? That’s right, all of them. Heart, brain, kidney, reproductive organs—all of them. So, if lectins can cause problems with TG, and if TG modifies every protein in our body, how many things can lectins cause problems with? I hope this is obvious—lectins can and do affect every organ system. Reproductive issues, vitiligo (a skin condition where the individual loses pigmentation in the skin) Huntington’s, narcolepsy—we have found literally hundreds of conditions in which lectins appear to be the causative factor. Not only do we have science to support this, we have observed clinical resolution of these conditions upon the removal of grains, legumes, and dairy. I hate to do this to you, but we have to go back into the intestines.
Really? Digestion? Again?

When food is emptied from the stomach into the small intestines, it is mixed with bile salts that are produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder. Remember, bile salts are much like soap and are critical for our digestion and absorption of fats. In addition to bile from the gall bladder, the pancreas releases digestive enzymes that are critical to digestion. And lest you forget, much of the digestive process happens at the tiny structures in our intestines—the villi and microvilli. Now let’s see how lectins interact with the intestinal lining to produce autoimmunity.

Lectins such as WGA bind to a receptor in the microvilli, allowing WGA to be transported into the body. This is the mechanism of the autoimmune cascade I described above. If the gut wall (microvilli) becomes damaged, the entire contents of the intestines can now make its way into your system. Yes, that’s as bad as it sounds. You are not only in a position to create antibodies against WGA, which leads to autoimmunity, but you now have the potential to develop multiple allergies due to a permeable gut lining and inadequately digested food. This is how you can develop allergies to chicken, beef, apples, or other normally benign foods.

Additionally, if your gut is damaged, you expose yourself to a host of chemicals that would normally remain in the intestines. This can lead to conditions such as multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome, which is regarded more as a psychiatric problem than legitimate medical condition.

Let me be crystal clear about this: Anything that damages the gut lining (including bacterial, viral, and parasitic infections, as well as alcohol, grains, legumes, and dairy) can predispose one to autoimmunity, multiple chemical sensitivities, and allergies to otherwise benign foods.

As my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu coach says, “This no opinion is, this fact is.”

“If the gut wall (microvilli) becomes damaged, the entire contents of the intestines can now make its way into your system.” [Note from Tim: this is where the "feces in the bloodstream" post title comes from]

Full of Bile

While this digestive disaster is taking place, there are several other problems brewing. As you recall, the function of the gall bladder is to release bile salts into a meal as it is emptied into the duodenum from the stomach. When the intestinal wall is damaged, the chemical messenger, cholecystokinin (CCK), is not released. CCK usually sends the “on” switch to the gall bladder and the secretion of pancreatic digestive enzymes. When this signal is blocked, we do not properly digest our foods, particularly fat and protein. The lack of bile release allows cholesterol crystals to form in the gall bladder, which leads to gall stones. The standard medical practice of removing the gall bladder is effectively killing the “canary in the coal mine.” Gall stones are a symptom of a problem, an alarm. Instead of treating the cause (remove grains) we cut out the gall bladder. People who have had gall bladder removal are almost certainly undiagnosed celiacs and likely have a number of other progressive diseases. In my experience, these individuals are plagued with digestive problems, culminating in dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing.

Achtung!

The disruption of CCK and related hormones (PYY, adiponectin) in the signaling cascade of digestion is a really big deal. Not only is the digestive process severely damaged, much of our satiety signaling is taken offline as well. We cannot properly digest our food, we are always “hungry,” and the very food we crave, refined grains and sugary junk, happens to be the cause of the problem.

It Gets Better

Another piece of the chemical defense system used against us by grains is a group of enzymes called protease inhibitors. Protease inhibitors prevent the breakdown of proteins. This means that when you consume grains you do not effectively digest the protein in your meal. Protease inhibitors also stymie the digestion of lectins such as WGA, making these already difficult-to-digest items virtually indestructible. This leaves more large proteins in the intestinal contents, which increases our likelihood of developing autoimmunity, allergies, or chemical sensitivities.

Osteoporotic Much?

If you do not have a bellyache thinking about grains by now, let’s look at one more player: antinutrients such as phytates. Phytates are important for seeds and grains because they tightly bind to metal ions (like magnesium, zinc, iron, calcium, and copper), which are crucial for the growth and development of the grain. If the metal ions are not tightly bound by the phytates, the process of germination can happen prematurely and this can spell disaster for the grain.

When we consume grains, the phytates are still active and powerfully bind to calcium, magnesium, zinc, and iron. This means the calcium, magnesium, zinc, and iron are unavailable for absorption. Because of the action of antinutrients such as phytates combined with the gut damaging characteristics of lectins and protease inhibitors, our Neolithic ancestors lost an average of six inches in height vs. our Paleolithic ancestors due to the Neolithic diet of grains and legumes. Are you concerned about osteoporosis or iron deficiency anemia? Do you suffer from fatigue or heart problems that might be caused by magnesium deficiency? Have you diligently consumed a “smart” diet of whole grains, legumes, and low-fat dairy as per the recommendations of your dietician and doctor? Do you see how ridiculous that suggestion is in light of what you now know about grains, legumes, and dairy?

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another!

Here is a recap of how grains cause malabsorption issues and how that affects our health and well-being:

1. Damage to the gut lining. If the gut is damaged, you do not absorb nutrients. We need healthy villi and microvilli to absorb our nutrients, be they protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, or minerals.

2. Damage to the gall bladder and bile production. If you do not absorb fats and fat soluble nutrients such as vitamins A, D, K, and other nutrients, you will have problems utilizing any minerals you do absorb, to say nothing of the nutrient deficiencies from inadequate essential fats.

3. Phytates tightly bind to metal ions and make them unavailable for absorption. Analytical chemists actually use purified phytates in experiments where it is necessary to quantify the amounts of metal ions like calcium, zinc, or iron in a sample because the phytates bind to these metals tighter than just about any other molecule. The same thing happens when you eat phytates, and this is not a good thing for bone health or iron status.

4. Open door for autoimmunity and cancer. Once the gut lining is damaged, we are at exceptionally high risk of autoimmune disease, such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and several types of cancer, including non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The pancreas is assailed by grain-induced inflammation due to CCK problems and elevated insulin levels. This inflammation is a potential cause of pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

Why does all this happen? Because grains are pissed that you want to eat them and they are willing, and able, to fight back.

Here is a short list of the problems associated with leaky gut and the autoimmune response:
• Infertility
• Type 1 diabetes
• Multiple sclerosis
• Rheumatoid Arthritis
• Lupus
• Vitiligo
• Narcolepsy
• Schizophrenia
• Autism
• Depression
• Huntington’s
• Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
• Hypothyroidism
• Porphyria
But I’m Not Sick

Some of you, however, may think you have no issues here. You have eaten grains, legumes, and dairy your whole life and are “fine.” Well, maybe. But I suspect that is not the case. I’ll bet that if you completely remove these Neolithic foods from your diet for one month, you will notice a dramatic improvement in how you feel and perform. Why? Because if you are consuming these foods, I’ll wager you have gut irritation and other systemic inflammation issues.

A recent study looking at children with type 1 diabetes (an autoimmune condition) found that a significant number of them had overt gut pathology, i.e., celiac. Some had a positive antibody test for celiac, but a number of kids were negative on both the WGA antibody test (a common blood test for celiac) and on an intestinal biopsy. So doctors would think there was no gluten influence in their condition. Interestingly, however, nearly all the kids showed antibodies in the deep tissues of the microvilli to . . . transglutaminase.

The study authors suspected most of the kids would at some point develop what is commonly described as celiac. What this tells us is gut damage can be fairly benign (few symptoms) but still lead to autoimmunity. Once initiated, autoimmunity can and does progress to other problems. Your doctor or dietician will likely dismiss this information, especially if you are “negative” for any of the standard blood work or lab tests for celiac. They are foolish in this regard, but hey, it’s only your health.

Trust your medical professionals, they always know best. Or, try a simple experiment: Follow a Paleo diet, and assess how you feel and perform. I know, I can hear the MDs now, that it’s “just anecdotal.” If you are going to save your ass you are not likely to get much support in this matter unless you have a forward-thinking and aggressive primary physician.

What is the ultimate gold standard in all this? How do you know for sure you do or do not have an issue with these foods? The answer seems obvious: remove the potentially offending foods! Reintroduce them after thirty to sixty days. See what happens. Now there is a caveat to this. You only need to be exposed to things like gluten once every ten to fifteen days to keep the gut damaged. This can bedevil people as they “cut back on gluten” but do not notice an improvement in their overall health. I’m sorry but there is not a pink “participant” ribbon given out for doing this “almost correctly.” You need to be 100 percent compliant for thirty days, then see how you do with reintroduction.

Now, I’ll be honest, the reintroduction is for you, not me. If I did a phone consult with you, I’d ask, “How did you do when you had that piece of bread?” I know exactly how you did—I’ve seen this scenario thousands of times, but you are the one who needs convincing. When you reintroduce gluten you will not feel good. Sorry kiddo, it’s just the way it works. Now it’s up to you to decide if health and a long life are worth forgoing some of these foods more often than not.

Does all this seem hard to believe? Well, remember how I described the effects of poison oak on your skin? It’s a similar deal here with gut irritation and lectin exposure. If you want to get the full power of this program, you need to actually give it a shot. Worst-case scenario: You spend a month without some foods you like. Best-case scenario: You discover you are able to live healthier and better than you ever thought possible.

But I Like Bread and Pasta!

Yes, I like that stuff too, but they make me sick. I suspect it makes you sick, as well. Not only do grains make you sick by raising insulin levels, messing up your fatty acid ratios (n-3/n-6), and irritating your gut, but they are also addictive. Grains, particularly the gluten-containing grains, contain molecules that fit into the opiate receptors in our brain. You know, the same receptors that work with heroin, morphine, and Vicodin? Most people can take or leave stuff like corn tortillas and rice. Suggest that people should perhaps forgo bread and pasta for their health and they will bury a butter knife in your forehead before you can say “whole wheat!” Sorry folks, I don’t make these rules, I just have the lovely task of educating you about them.

Why I had to focus on gluten-free living, exercise, and trying to get you healthy, I will never know. I should have just peddled hookers, cocaine, and pastries! So much easier.

Instead, here’s a one week food plan. There are hundreds of great options, but this is a simple menu to get you started:

Week 1

Monday
BREAKFAST: 2–4 poached eggs, almonds, small piece fruit or berries
LUNCH: Chicken fajita salad
SNACK: 2 oz chicken, apple, few avocado slices
DINNER: Grilled salmon, roasted green beans, side salad

Tuesday
BREAKFAST: Leftover salmon, walnuts
LUNCH: Lettuce, tomato, onion, and condiments of your choice over 1–2 burger patties, orange, almonds
SNACK: Jerky, macadamia nuts
DINNER: Rotisserie chicken, steamed broccoli, side salad

Wednesday
BREAKFAST: Leftover chicken w/salsa, ½ avocado
LUNCH: Tuna and cabbage salad
SNACK: Remainder of tuna and cabbage salad
DINNER: Crock-Pot pork loin, tomato sauce, zucchini, chopped cauliflower, basil. Make a large portion, leftovers will be used for several meals!

Thursday
BREAKFAST: Slice of ham, 2–3 scrambled eggs, fruit
LUNCH: Leftover pork loin
SNACK: 2 hard-boiled eggs, almonds
DINNER: Stir-fry beef salad. Serve over bed of greens with balsamic vinegar

Friday
BREAKFAST: Sausage stir-fry breakfast
LUNCH: Easy ceviche
SNACK: 2 oz chicken, apple
DINNER: Spaghetti squash (Note from Tim: this is delicious) or kelp-noodle spaghetti: cook either choice with marinara sauce, ground meat, olive oil

Saturday
BREAKFAST: Chicken apple hash
LUNCH: 5–6 oz deli turkey, ½ lb steamed broccoli, drizzle with olive oil
SNACK: 2–3 oz turkey, carrot sticks, almonds
DINNER: Indian-style coleslaw, leftover pork loin, side salad with olive oil

Sunday
BREAKFAST: Western omelet, sweet potato hash
LUNCH: Lamb patties, tomato, lettuce, strawberries
SNACK: Turkey, avocado
DINNER: Halibut, roasted asparagus, berries with balsamic vinegar

For full 30-day meal plans, recipes, and more, this is the resource.

###

Afterword: Holy religious war, Batman! Hundreds of strong comments below, including a few very smart contributions from MDs, nurses, etc.. Robb has also answered some of the most common questions in the comments.

Psyche said:
References:

Here is an excerpt from the book. It synthesizes all the info on anti-nutrients (or why grains are so evil!):

Very good article.

I was watching this paleo diet from some time - paying attention to the disinformation.

Laura said:
We just buy a whole, fresh ham every week and smoke it on the grill. Now and then, I remove the skin and most of the fat attached, cut it into pieces, put it in a pot on low heat, and let it render for about an hour. It gives me a nice big jar of lard and a bunch of friend pork rinds that just need a sprinkle of salt to be a great snack.

I've tried to make pork rinds a couple of times (the similar way as you described above), but it was always so difficult for me to cut the skin (with fat) in pieces! Normally, I cut it into cubes 1x1cm or 2x2cm, but soon my hand and fingers become so tired! Can bigger pieces still be OK? :huh: Or I just need to sharpen my knife better? I also noticed that the fried skin is often not crunchy at all :cry:, but very tough and impossible to chew. Is there any secret that makes rinds crunchy or I was just "lucky" to get old pig's meat (the older the pigs, the rougher their skin)?

Chacara said:
Laura said:
We just buy a whole, fresh ham every week and smoke it on the grill. Now and then, I remove the skin and most of the fat attached, cut it into pieces, put it in a pot on low heat, and let it render for about an hour. It gives me a nice big jar of lard and a bunch of friend pork rinds that just need a sprinkle of salt to be a great snack.

I've tried to make pork rinds a couple of times (the similar way as you described above), but it was always so difficult for me to cut the skin (with fat) in pieces! Normally, I cut it into cubes 1x1cm or 2x2cm, but soon my hand and fingers become so tired! Can bigger pieces still be OK? :huh: Or I just need to sharpen my knife better? I also noticed that the fried skin is often not crunchy at all :cry:, but very tough and impossible to chew. Is there any secret that makes rinds crunchy or I was just "lucky" to get old pig's meat (the older the pigs, the rougher their skin)?

I remember my parents saying when I was a child that there was a secret in how to make pork rings to prevent them from becoming impossible to chew. I have never managed though, but would surely be interested in learning how to.

I have been buying several kilos of of pork to make my morning paddies and start by separating the pork skin and putting it aside for stews. Stewing the skin cut into chunks can also be another possibility for cooking pork skin. Last time I did it I stewed a good portion of pork skin with some beef cuts in beef dripping, coconut oil and herbs for a coupe of hours, the result was delicious! I would buy pork skin on its own to cook it like that more often if I could find it.

nicklebleu said:
...I found it astonishing, what mental programs have come up with this change of diet. While I "stomached" without any problem giving up gluten and casein, I find it surprisingly hard to "just eat meat" - it just "doesn't feel right". Same with eating butter just like that (even though I don't have any culinary problems with that - I quite like it), for "comfort" I always need kind of a matrix (or a vehicle) to get the food into my body...
It might just be your body trying to tell you something. We seem to be conditioned to ignore our own built-in defenses. I am very concerned about what mine is telling me about the amount of meat I eat. Once you recover from too many carbs, you may find your appetite standing up and saying "no more for now" like it never did before.

I haven't had a "shake" for two weeks now. I was using them as a quick-to-make lunch, but now I just cook something for lunch while I am making breakfast, and take that much longer to get ready in the morning. I am not concerned as much about the carbs as about the processed, concentrated hemp protein powder I was using.

Once I lowered carb intake, and while I was still having the shakes for lunch on some days, I noticed that one shake was now enough food to last me the day -- I didn't become hungry in the afternoon the way I had before, even after eliminating most of the fiber. If I instead have a combination of meat and vegetables for lunch, though, that is even more filling -- to the point where I may need little or nothing for dinner.

Chacara said:

If you want to cut through skin you would need a proper and well sharp knife and it won't be too much of a struggle me thinks. You could also go for cracklings (without skin which would make it easier to dice) which seem to get crispy alone from the deep fry.

rendering; a frying method : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtL_aALc9Ho
with water added approach : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqkQtiuNbBU&feature=related

is the skin especially nutritious? I always liked the fat but shudder a bit while eating rinds.

Psyche said:
Germ:

The germ is the actual reproductive portion of the grain. This is where the embryo resides.

In the wild, the cereal grain is distributed by the wind, and when conditions are right, the germ (embryo) begins the process of growth using the endosperm for energy. It may come as a surprise, but plants are not benign, altruistic organisms just waiting to send their next generation of young into our mouths in the form of sushi rice or French bread. Grains, like all critters on this planet, face the challenge of surviving long enough to reproduce. This is particularly problematic for grains in that their most nutrient-dense portion (the part we eat) happens to be the reproductive structure.
(...)
If we compare grains to the strategies listed above, “give a little, get a little,” like the blueberry, or “bugger off,” like the poison oak, we see that grains are much more like poison oak. If a critter eats a grain, that’s it for the grain. That does not mean that the grain goes down without a fight! Grains are remarkably well equipped for chemical warfare.

Just as said by the Cs (Session 13 Feb 2011):

A: Every living thing has a protective life preserving mechanism. For animals it is their ability to run and hide or fight. For living things that do not have those capacities nature has still not abandoned them.

Pork rinds (torresmo) are really common around here. The best one are those that are crunchy (called pururuca).

I made a search about how to make these and it seems that the secret is two do it in two steps.

First you fry it on its own fat or on lard (some websites say "half-fry" it) or take it to the oven or boil it. I think the most common way is to fry it. Then you cool it. Some websites suggest you should cool it in the fridge for one or more days together with all the lard from the first fry. Then you fry it again, that's when it gets crunchy. I'll check with my grandmother how she does it.

I prefer when there is a little bit of meat together with the skin and fat.

Back
Top Bottom