"Life Without Bread"

FOOD ALLERGIES AND SENSITIVITIES from PBPM:

Food allergies and sensitivities are an extensive and complex subject and an extremely common problem among people with learning disabilities and other behavioral, physiological, emotional, and neurological problems. Frequently, symptoms can easily resemble those of nutrient deficiencies and heavy-meta toxicitis as well as traumatically generated psychological disorders.

Nervous System Symptoms:

hyperactivity; wild, unrestrained
talkative, explosive stuttering, constant
inattention, disruptive, impulsive
short attention span
restless legs, finger tapping
clumsiness, uncoordinated, tremors
insomnia or nightmares
nervousness, irritable, upset, short-tempered
high-strung, excitable, agitated
moodiness, depressed behavior, tired, weak, weary, exhausted or listless
easily moved to tears or easily hurt
high sensitivity to odor, light, sound, pain or cold

Physical - Medical Symptoms

stuffy nose, watery nose, sneezing, nose rubbing
aches: head, back, neck, muscles or joints, unrelated to exercise
belly problems: bellyaches, nausea, upset stomach, bloating, bad breath, gssy stomach, belching
bladder problems
face: pale color, dark eye circles, puffiness under eyes
glands: swelling of lymph nodes in neck
ear problems, ringing, dizziness
low-grade fever
chronic inflammation anywhere in the body
proneness to allergies
resistant to weight loss

Elimination diets are the most inexpensive and accurate method to determine whether food allergies or sensitivities are to blame for such symptoms, but they require patience, extra vigilance, and disciplined effort.

They work by eliminating suspected culprits - the most common are gluten, soy, corn, peanuts, eggs, and dairy - for a period of time (no less than two weeks; a month or more is better, and for accurately determining gluten sensitivity, this can take six months of total elimination or more).

The, reintroduce each food, one at a time, and wait 72 hours for a reaction. The effects become obvious either immediately or within 72 hours. When you reintroduce, you need to eat quite a bit of the suspect food in order to get a good test.

I do not, however, recommend any experimental reintroduction step with gluten-containing foods since the potential detriments of gluten sensitivity reactions are so potentially destructive and so prolonged in their effects.

Oftentimes, the food an individual craves most is to blame and can be a strong hint indicating where to start.

{...}

Whenever food allergies or sensitivities are a problem, digestion can be a core cause, though repairing digestion may not necessarily fix all food sensitivities. Gluten sensitivity, in particular, should be considered permanent. {For Everyone.} To be deluded into believing otherwise poses a potent and potentially lethal risk that's simply not worth it.

Once gluten sensitivity damage is healed, however, it may be possible to cautiously reintroduce other non-gluten related foods in a limited way once again.

... Reestablishing gut and digestive system health and integrity is critical for long-term recovery.

Some food allergies and sensitivities can be cyclic in nature and respond to several months' abstinence, after which one can reincorporate certain offending foods in a limited way. Other sensitivities (such as gluten and possibly casein) may well require permanent and total abstinence.

Where autoimmune conditions and autism... are concerned, sensitivities to gluten and casein should be assumed, and these foods should be completely and permanently eliminated!

Elimination of gluten may only be the first step for many, and this needs to be followed up with testing for possible cross-reactive compounds, as well as actively addressing the accompanying chronic states of systemic inflammation, and then systematically taking steps to heal the damage, which may NOT happen on its own. Healing the gut is a process that must be approached actively and systematically.

{...}

Once a food to which one is sensitive has been removed, a regimen of supplementation for no less than a year and preferably two can help restore gastrointestinal mucosal integrity, calm the inflammatory cycle, and improve immunologic function.

Principle supplements for restoring the gut:

L-glutamine
Probiotics
Grass-fed bovine colostrum
Vitamin D3
Omega 3 Fish oil
Curcumin

Where autoimmune conditions and autism... are concerned, sensitivities to gluten and casein should be assumed, and these foods should be completely and permanently eliminated!

What is an autoimmune disease?

See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoimmune_disease

But be aware that probably everything they have listed as possibles are probably due to gluten/casein sensitivity. As PBPM describes, the stimulation of Zonulin by gluten is a direct route to leaky gut. You don't have to have candida to get that! And some of these conditions are silent, but deadly.

Laura said:
FOOD ALLERGIES AND SENSITIVITIES from PBPM:

<snip>
Principle supplements for restoring the gut:[/size][/b]

L-glutamine
Probiotics
Grass-fed bovine colostrum
Vitamin D3
Omega 3 Fish oil
Curcumin

Earlier in the tread we have discussed the likelihood of reduced need for probiotics once fully adapted to the low-carb diet. However, as the transition period might be longer for some of us it raises the question of whether to include probiotics as part of the daily supplement regimen until fully adapted. From the above quote it seems like a good idea. Is this a good assumption?

Also with regard to gut health, Sherry Rogers strongly recommends Kyolic. From p. 81 in Detoxify or Die:
Kyolic (Wakunaga) is a unique proprietary formulation of aged garlic that can kill all of these bacteria and fungi, yet without side effects. If that doesn't sound great enough, Kyolic also revs up the ability of the body to detoxify environmental chemicals. For example, researchers can create experimental lab animals with cancer by giving any number of solo environmental chemicals. But if yo give Kyolic, it revs up the ability of the animals to detoxify the chemical so much that they do not get cancer. Kyolic is wonderful to take if you're foolish enough to use Tylenol (acetaminophen). It protects the liver against the (sometimes fatal)damage that acetaminophen is so notorious for.

Kyolic increases the body's manufacture of both important detoxifiers that you just learned about, glutathione and superoxide dismutase, and in additional ways revs up both phase I and phase II of detoxification. In fact it is so potent that it also helps detoxify aflatoxins, the cancer-causing mycotoxins made by a certain fungus, Aspergilius. As well as being anti fungal and a great antibiotic for bad gut bugs, it even protects the gut against the damage produced by chemotherapy and radiation. If that weren't enough, it also helps to detoxify heavy metals and strengthens the killing power of white blood cells needed to protect the gut.

But there is only one form of garlic that has over 280 research papers documenting its superiority over all other forms. In fact studies have compoared Kyolic with all of the other leading brands on the market and it came out way ahead (Milner).

I can't find a discussion of Kyolic elsewhere on the forum but from the above description it seems like a supplement that could be good to include as well.

Thor said:
Earlier in the tread we have discussed the likelihood of reduced need for probiotics once fully adapted to the low-carb diet. However, as the transition period might be longer for some of us it raises the question of whether to include probiotics as part of the daily supplement regimen until fully adapted. From the above quote it seems like a good idea. Is this a good assumption?

Also with regard to gut health, Sherry Rogers strongly recommends Kyolic.

Yes, I think that probiotics might be helpful just during the time of eliminating gluten and dairy, BEFORE the carbs are reduced. Once the carbs are reduced, you no longer need those critters to ferment your fiber and give you gas.

As for kyolic, well, if you are going to continue to eat the veggies and ferment stuff, and battle candida forever, I guess it's useful, but with the protocol we have been working out here, I doubt that it is needed at all.

I can't find a discussion of Kyolic elsewhere on the forum but from the above description it seems like a supplement that could be good to include as well.

If you have a sluggish liver, the Kyolic might hurt you. I've tried this a couple of times, each time having to quit taking it from abdominal pain. It might be easier on the liver and digestive system to let it correct itself with carb elimination instead.

Psyche said:
Gertrudes said:
I've been having some skin rashes flare ups, which I find peculiar. When I did the Candida protocol months ago I got these skin rashes as a die off reaction. They no never really disappeared, although it did get much better with the help of coconut oil. Over the past few days it has been getting worse though. I'm still at 5g of carbs a day (no particular reason for that, I'm just really enjoying the meat diet), nothing has changed, and I've not had anything sweet since the end of February. I'm not sure whether this could this be another die-off reaction, but if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

There are two things that seems to increase problems with rashes when doing this diet. First, those who are histamine sensitive and who tend to have more rashes (they are allergic) because one tends to have all kinds of fatty meats with spices. I got a rash and it typically itches when I have a meat with spices or if it was cooked in spicy fat. I thought that was actually progress, before I will have "hay fever":
<snip>

The second thing that strikes me is that it is constantly emphasized to drink enough water, not only to diminish "transition symptoms", but also to release ketone bodies through the urine, as opposed to your breath or your skin. If you make a search on google, you'll see that skin rashes are rather frequent when people get into ketosis. I think it is because the ketone bodies are being released through the skin and it irritates it in some people. I'll say that we'll just have to experiment with drinking more water and taking also the omega 3s and other supplements to see if the body gets used to it. Supplements with natural anti-histaminic properties might help: vitamin C, quercetin, bromelain, selenium, etc.

Thank you so much! I was going to ask about rashes today, when I read this. I've never had rashes before in my life, and now I got a few in a group below my belly button and I thought it was really bizarre. I drink enough water during the day, so I think it is the spices/herbs. I eliminated all peppers (I am very allergic to all of them) and now I will try cutting out all herbs too, to see what happens. Again, thank you Gertrudes for asking and Psyche for the info! :flowers:

beetlemaniac said:
Thanks Thor, I was using your handy formula, I even put it into a spreadsheet for fun. :)

One thing I also think is interesting to log is how much of my daily energy intake stems from each of the macro nutrients. You can use the following formulas (which you may very well have derived yourself, also):

E = Ep + Ec + Ef = 4Wp + 4Wc + 9Wf,

therefore

Energy percentage from protein: Ep/E = 4Wp/(4Wp + 4Wc + 9Wf)
Energy percentage from carbs: Ec/E = 4Wc/(4Wp + 4Wc + 9Wf)
Energy percentage from fat: Ef/E = 9Wf/(4Wp + 4Wc + 9Wf)

where

Wc = the weight in grams of carbs (I would use net carbs as the fiber is not digested and does not contribute towards the body's energy use)
Wp = the weight in grams of protein
Wf = the weight in grams of fat

Since July 1st my energy from fat has been 82%, from protein 16% and from carbs 2%. Not quite the eskimo diet but pretty close :)

Argh! I managed to get my hands on some "black market" L-Carnitine yesterday :evil:, only I didn't look closely at the ingredients. I took a couple of caps today, only afterwards looking at the label. Under "Other Ingredients" it has "Rice Powder"! Bah!

I suppose it serves me right for not being more vigilant, but that's $50 down the drain that I really could have used for other things. My brain is just not working like it should lately. My motivation to do anything at all is basically zero and I feel more tired than usual. I suppose it could be the heat (I find the high-meat diet is really heating; not the best thing to do in the middle of August!). I'm really hoping this passes soon.

Laura said:
As we have said, the first things to eliminate are gluten containing foods and then dairy. This should be accompanied by supplementing to heal the gut: L-glutamine mainly, and fish oils. That is step one and you should do that over a month or so before attempting to start cutting down on carbs globally.

I have been trying to go gluten and dairy free again for the past month or so, though I have had a relapse a week ago and am still recovering from the reaction. So I guess I will go back to my normal carb consumption and ease it with the fats, though I will continue to eat fat in moderation. Ill probably start eating buckwheat again too. Though going completely gluten free is going to be a bit of a challenge because my mothers kitchen is laced with wheat flour, where ever you look. Though thank god we have a second kitchen in the garage so I am trying to persuade her to let me use it(going to get tested for it), without her using it. Though I know from the reading that I can not even allow a speck of it into my system, so will get on that.

I have been taking L-glutamine for a couple of months now and it has really helped, also started taking fish oil again a couple of days ago.

Laura said:
This should have been done even while you were cutting out gluten and dairy to prepare you for an intelligent and informed transition.

Oops :-[, will do that and will order Primal body, Primal mind too.

Edit: Fixed quotes.

Just want to announce that I think I've gotten over the hump and am in real ketosis now. I cut back on the meat a bit, added plenty of fish oil every day, and things are much better. I'm not racing, but I'm feeling generally much better and the heaviness in my legs is receding at a good rate.

Alana said:
Thank you so much! I was going to ask about rashes today, when I read this. I've never had rashes before in my life, and now I got a few in a group below my belly button and I thought it was really bizarre. I drink enough water during the day, so I think it is the spices/herbs. I eliminated all peppers (I am very allergic to all of them) and now I will try cutting out all herbs too, to see what happens. Again, thank you Gertrudes for asking and Psyche for the info! :flowers:

I've been digging about it today and couldn't find much about possible causes. Skin rashes seem to be fairly common in ketogenic diets newbies, there are several low carb forums with skin rashes questions, but no one seems to know what causes them.

I got 2 new ones today, one in my chest, the other in my neck. Not very pleasant, although so far they are relatively subtle and the itchiness is bearable. I also read somewhere that rashes in the neck and chest are common in ketosis, the site said something about it being the result of adapting to the increased protein intake. I didn't save that page because there wasn't much more relevant information though.
Let us know how you go once you cut out the herbs Keit :)

Added: one of the prevailing theories from what I've been reading is that as the fat gets burned, the toxins stored in it are released through the skin.
I sure hope it's just a passing state though.

Out of curiosity I've search for "ketogenic" in the Cayce readings database and theire's one match !

5562-2 (Girl 12 years old)
EC: Yes, we have the body here, [5562]. This we have had before. Some bettered conditions - some bettered coordinations. Let's change some of these administrations as given internally for the correction of the vibratory forces and the desensitizing of some of the nerves' reaction. Use those of the Mayblossom Bitters. Let's alter these about a bit, and we will find we will find some better reaction. These are prepared! Use that as is prepared, STRAINED once, and then GIVE in this dose: Of mornings, five to six drops in a little water. Near the eleventh hour, give ten to twelve drops. Near three o'clock, give three to five drops. Of evenings, about the SAME quantity.
Of the diet, be mindful that there is not an overloading at any time of the system. Let's have a little more exercise outside. Let's have a little more of the reactions for self as to CONTROL self, and we will find that the coordinating of the whole of the cerebrospinal, with the sympathetics, will form such an operative force that the reactions produced by the depressions, rather than the depressions by the reactions - as has been given - will conform to that necessary for that proper coordination in the system.
(Q) Is the Ketogenic diet as given, proper?
(A) Very good, if there will be more reactions in the air with same. That is, exercises. It takes a great deal of oxygen for this to coordinate, or to become ASSIMILATIVE for reaction in the system.

Ellipse said:
Out of curiosity I've search for "ketogenic" in the Cayce readings database and theire's one match !

Interesting. fwiw I have felt a need to do the full EE program more than twice a week since being on this diet, and regularly find myself breathing very deeply.

Laura said:
Just want to announce that I think I've gotten over the hump and am in real ketosis now. I cut back on the meat a bit, added plenty of fish oil every day, and things are much better. I'm not racing, but I'm feeling generally much better and the heaviness in my legs is receding at a good rate.

:rockon:

[quote author=Gertrudes ]

I've been digging about it today and couldn't find much about possible causes. Skin rashes seem to be fairly common in ketogenic diets newbies, there are several low carb forums with skin rashes questions, but no one seems to know what causes them.

[/quote]
Good to know. I'm on day 12 in ketosis and just yesterday I woke up with a small rash on my chest. Haven't had too many problems except for leg cramps for about three days- the supplements cleared that up- and some digestive issues that seem to be getting better. I'll be needing some new cloths soon, I'm shrinking so fast I'm running out of things to wear.

Laura said:

Well, other than meat and eggs, if you're not doing veggies, what else is there to eat?? :huh: Fish?

I must be weird, but I'm really getting tired of meat all the time. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom