"Life Without Bread"

The section of sugar is definitely worth sharing. Notice too how the author grew 1 inch taller at age 35! Unfortunately, she doesn't talk about gluten, but her experience is still worth sharing:

Deep Nutrition said:
While far from fat at 5 foot 4 and 125 pounds, my waistline was surprisingly unflattering. Underneath rock-hard abs (I also did hundreds of sit ups a day) my intestines were coated in omental fat, a very unhealthy form of fat that develops in everyone eating low-nutrient, high-carb, high trans-fat, high vegetable oil diets. This gave me a classic "apple-shaped" figure even though I wasn't overweight. At age 35, when I started eating better, I finally lost that omental fat and developed a more feminine waistline. (I also grew an inch taller!)

[...]As sugar seeps into your tissues, it coats the surface of cell membranes, with life-changing consequences. As a young girl, I would often sneak away to the corner candy store or munch on handfuls of the chocolate chips I would sometimes find hidden in the kitchen pantry, stressing my body's connective tissues already weakened by my low-fat, low-cholesterol, no-meat-on-the-bone diet. And the sugar en¬crusting my cells interfered with hormone receptor function, disrupting the complex series of physiologic developments scheduled to take place during puberty. As a result, I had no idea what all the fuss over boys was about until shortly after I went off to college.

Sugar Changes How Our Hormones Work

You may have heard that, on average, we gain ten pounds a decade after the age of 35; women, in particular, start reporting that they can't eat like they used to. This phenomenon may be directly related to the biochemical effects of sugar binding to hormone us insensitive to the hormone insulin. Once you are insulin resistant, blood sugar levels rise higher still, leading to diabetes and all its related disorders including weight gain, circulatory and sexual dysfunction. For the same reasons sugar jams hormone signals, it also clogs nutrient channels, weakening bone and muscle and slowing neural communication, which can impair mood and memory and lead to dementia. While all this is going on, sugar stiffens the collagen in your tendons, joints, and skin, causing arthritis and premature wrinkling, while interfering with the production of new collagen throughout your entire body. And because sugar changes the surface markers your white blood cells need to distinguish between indigenous cells from invaders, it opens the door to cancer and infection.

How does sugar do all this?

Glycation: The Reason Sugar is Bad for You

Ever notice how licked lollipops and half-chewed taffy have a tacky feeling? Sugar feels sticky because, once dissolved in water, it reacts with proteins on the surface of your skin to form easily breakable chemical bonds. When you pull your fingers apart and feel the sticky resistance, you're feel¬ing the tug of those bonds being broken. The process by which sugar sticks to stuff is called glycation. Glycation reactions are reversible, but with enough heat or time, the temporary bonds becomes permanent due to oxidation reactions. The products of these later oxidation reactions are called advanced glycation end products, or AGEs. And that's a useful acronym, because AGEs make you age unnaturally fast.

When you toast bread, oxidation reactions generate AGEs in the proteins and sugars present in wheat. These AGEs change the bread from soft, pli¬able, and pale to hard, stiff, and brown because the proteins and sugars form cross-links that stiffen the bread. The same thing happens inside your body as AGEs cross-link normally mobile proteins. This hardens your cells and tissues, making them brittle and stiff. Fortunately, at normal blood sugar levels, the reactions occur so slowly that cleanup crews of white blood cells keep them under control by breaking them down. The kidney cleans these AGEs from the blood and excretes them from the body. It is these waste chemicals that give urine its characteristic yellow color.

The clinical implications of having your tissues hardened by sugar-protein cross-links are vast and far-reaching. Cross-links turn the semi¬permeable surfaces of arteries into impervious walls, preventing nutrients from exiting the bloodstream. When trapped nutrients can't escape your bloodstream, where do you think they end up? Lining your arteries. As we saw in Chapter 7, when lipoproteins deposit on the arterial lining, they attract white blood cells, and can cause blood clots and / or atherosclerotic plaques. A few cross-links on your white blood cells slows them down, making infections more likely and more serious, enabling nascent cancer cells to grow under the radar unchallenged. Are your joints creaking and stiff? AGEs can form in them too. AGEs (primarily from high blood sugar) are one of two major biochemical phenomena that make us look and feel old (the other being free radicals, primarily from vegetable oils). [...]

{She recommends fasting glucose levels to be no more than 88, otherwise the risk of cardiovascular events increases exponentially. If it is above 88, she recommends cutting sugar down to 100 grams per day which is a number very similar to that one recommended by the authors of Life Without Bread in cases of risk of cardiovascular events. After a period of time the carb intake can be furthered decreased}

True Tales of Sugar-holics

Sugar-Induced "Spells"

Meet Mary, a nurse who worked in my office until a few years ago. Al¬ways on top of her game, she double-checked the charts to make sure we doctors didn't overlook any records. To stay alert, she would eat something sweet several times a day. Not candy, mind you. Just the healthy stuff, fruit and energy bars. {The description of her story goes on showing the deterioration over the years with symptoms of hypoglycemia: feeling tired, hungry, shaky, nauseated before lunch or dinner. These feelings come from adrenaline, which helps the liver pump out more sugar but also makes us shaky, nauseous, even panicky.}

As her sugar levels dropped below 60, Mary's brain was deprived of glucose, triggering a stress response from the adrenal glands. They would in turn release adrenaline which, like glucagon, instructs the liver to release stored glucose. Adrenaline also affects the nervous system, causing anxiety, shakiness, and even nausea. Rising and falling sugar, estrogen, and progesterone in combination with mixed signals from high levels of insulin, glucagon, and occasional bursts of adrenaline ultimately caused a short circuit in the brain that resulted in a seizure. Once a short circuit like this develops, it makes it easier to have another seizure. So taking her off the seizure medication, as she wanted me to do, could be risky.

I suggested a compromise. I recommended that she follow a strict low¬carb diet, which we reviewed. I also lowered her medication a bit, monitor-ing her blood to ensure we were still in the therapeutic range. I cautioned that if she were ever to lapse from the diet she would need to raise the dose of medication again. After some initial difficulty taming her ferocious sweet tooth, Mary has now been following the diet and been seizure free on a low dose of medication for five years. [...]

"I Don't Want Heart Surgery"

Gary is a scuba instructor. His job requires him to be ready to take action whenever one of the tourists on his boat gets into trouble. When he started feeling a fluttering in his chest, he needed to nail down exactly what was happening and do something to stop it. Though he could navigate the Ha¬waiian currents with his eyes closed, he had no idea how to navigate the medical system. So like many people, instead of starting with a visit to his primary care doctor, he went straight to the emergency room.

The ER doctor couldn't diagnose the source of Gary's problem because, When he went in, everything was fine. The ER doctor ordered a few tests, including blood tests and an EKG, all of which turned out normal. Just to be thorough, the ER doc sent Gary to his primary care doc to get a referral to a cardiologist, who did still more tests. All normal. Just to be sure, the cardi-ologist wanted an angiogram. If that test showed anything out of the ordi¬nary, like a slight narrowing of an artery, the patient would be nudged into position as a candidate for a major procedure—a stent, or even heart surgery.

This is when Gary came in to see me. His regular doctor was on vaca¬tion, and he was too anxious too wait.

"I don't want heart surgery," he said. I told him that, since I don't do heart surgery, he'd come to the right place. I looked over his records and only one element of his entire history caught my attention, his fasting sugar level. It was 92. Though generally considered "normal," I see this number as high because, as I mentioned earlier, anything over 88 (89 or higher) seems to invite problems. I wasn't surprised to find his sugar was a bit high. I'd no¬ticed that his heels were slightly calloused, and I've found that patients with high sugar levels often develop a dry callous on their heels

The chest fluttering Gary described is termed a palpitation. Palpitations are disturbances in the heart rhythm which, in my experience, occur more often in people who eat lots of sugar. Just as with seizure disorders, sugar induced surges in hormone and energy levels irritate the nerves.

In his case the swings disturbed the nerves surrounding his heart. I asked Gary to tell me about his diet and discovered he was a classic sugar-holic. A sweet cereal for breakfast, a Snickers bar at 10 a.m. to buoy him through his morning then a sandwich for lunch, followed by another Snickers. Oh, and don't forget the fruit juice and soda. It was a routine he'd followed for years but now, at 39, it was catching up with him. Whenever his sugar levels dropped the palpitations started.

I told him that if he wanted to avoid palpitations, he would need to cut his sugar in half, minimum. And to make clear the seriousness of his pre¬, dicament, I also told him that his high fasting glucose was a bellwether sign (that he was on the verge of losing his sensitivity to hormones—all hormones including testosterone. Testosterone helps men (and women, by the wav maintain libido. But when you gum up testosterone receptors on the surface of cells, they don't respond to signals as readily. When, at the same time you're gumming up the cells lining the blood vessels, the vessels can't dilate and fill up with blood. What we have here is a recipe for ED.

For Gary, this warning struck home, so to speak. I explained that if he wanted to avoid diabetic complications, including ED, it would be best for him to cut sugar out altogether. And that's what he did. Within a couple weeks, he was seeing all kinds of improvements, and so was his girlfriend. He traded in sugar for something even sweeter, and sugar-induced palpita¬tions for a better kind.
Gary didn't need heart surgery. He needed a sugar-ectomy. Had he gotten his angiogram, there's a fair chance that the cardiologist would have found something of interest. A tiny anomaly, a narrow spot on the dye-shadow, something—anything—to convert this healthy, fit, life-loving person into a cardiac case. And once that happens, as the side effects and complications from pills and procedures begin to pile up, once you are dependent on one or more medications for the rest of your life, once a healthy heart is refashioned into a living carrying case for the latest piece of medical gadgetry, you're in. And good luck finding the door.

The Sugar Headache

Susan's headaches were awful. As she described them, they felt like a hot blade had been plunged through her right eye. For 20 years, she'd been told that she had migraines and was given all kinds of migraine treatments, with little effect. Quite often, there was nothing she could do but wake up her husband in the middle of the night to drive her to the ER for intravenous painkillers. Without warning, another agonizing series of headaches would materialize, tear her life apart for days or even weeks, and then just as sud¬denly disappear.

When I saw her, I told her a couple things she was surprised to hear. One was that these weren't migraines. They were cluster headaches, which would respond to an entirely different kind of therapy: breathing from an oxygen tank.

The second surprise was that she might be able to mitigate or even cure her headaches permanently by—you guessed it—cutting out sugar. I told her about sugar's effects on nerves and how adrenaline and other hormone fluc¬tuations are so irritating to the brain that they can cause pain or, in extreme cases, seizures. Cluster headache sufferers are often addicted to sugar, eating sweets throughout the entire day. By the middle of the night, their blood sugar levels have bottomed out and hormones are swinging wildly to com-pensate. On some nights, this wakes them up with screaming pain. For any pain sufferer, cutting back on sugar is a great first move. Combined with a little exercise, cutting sugar could very well prevent Susan's headaches alto¬gether. [...]

In all these medical cases, you may have noticed a theme emergirg. Sugar wreaks havoc with the entire nervous system, so much so that one or the first things I ask about when someone comes in with a nervous disorder is their sugar intake. But it's not just nervous system disorders like anxiety, heart palpitations, and pain that make me think of sugar addiction. It's also recurring infections, joint problems, and allergic disorders like eczema hives, and runny noses, and more.

Study Shows Sugar More Addicting Than Cocaine

Sugar has the edge over other addictive compounds thanks to the fact that it tastes better than most drugs. A study on rats entitled "Intense Sweetness Surpasses Cocaine Reward" found that between cocaine and sugar, sugar was more addicting. Their conclusion warns: "In most mammals, including rats and humans, sweet receptors evolved in ancestral environments poor in sugars and are thus not adapted to high concentrations of sweet [compounds]. The supranormal stimulation of these receptors by sugar-rich diets, such as those now widely available in modern societies, would generate a supranormal reward signal in the brain, with the potential to override self-control mechanisms and thus to lead to addiction." Intense Sweetness Surpasses Cocaine Reward. Lenoir M. PLoS ONE. 2007; 2(8): e698.

Sugar is the ultimate gateway drug. We now have research showing that exposure to sugar early in life has lasting effects on the brain that can make us more prone to developing chemical dependencies. When researchers gave young rats a steady supply of chocolate Ensure, they found "daily consump¬tion alters striatal enkephalin gene expression." In other words, the study rats were programmed to consume substances that stimulate their opiate receptors.249 Sugar acts as a powerful epigenetic instructor, telling your child's genes to construct a brain with a built-in hankering for drugs.

As Michael Pollan points out in The Botany of Desire, by producing Chem¬istry desirable to humans, certain plants have domesticated us, turning peo¬ple into pawns in their Darwinian battle to rule the landscape. Like THC in marijuana, the sugar in fruit and sugarcane entices humans, and other ani-mals, to spread the plant's DNA. But this relationship is taken to dangerous extremes as refined sugar commands us to reorder the surface of the planet; millions of acres of tropical rainforest are burned every year to sustain the i ongoing habit of a growing population. We work for corn too. Each step in the production of high-fructose corn syrup is a giant leap forward in corm. domination of the planet. Sugar-producing plants like corn, cane, beets, ber¬ries, and mangoes give usa legal high every bit as addictive as a hit of crack cocaine, though less intoxicating. What I am arguing, however, is try sugar's hold on us is more dangerous than any illegal substance because effects are subtler and more pervasive.

If a child were given a dose of heroin, the chemical would trigger 41 flurry of neural activity in the pleasure centers of his brain. Sugar, whether juice, pureed pears, or infant formula, results in the very same kinds of responses "via the release of endogenous opiates triggered by sweet taste[.]"' . And if you regularly give kids sugar-rich commercial juices, sweet cereal's, or daily cookies and candy, you're inadvertently playing the role of "enabler.' Though sugar doesn't actually contain opiates like heroin, it affects us in very much the same way because it makes us release our own endogenous opiates.

The effect is powerful enough for solutions of sugar to work as a pain reliever. In a common practice, called "sucrose analgesia," nurses give a sip of sugar water to infants to calm them during heel sticks, injections, and ' other painful procedures newborns routinely undergo. It works well and has the benefit of reducing fussiness for up to a week after the procedures.251 ) In 2002, a group of neonatal nurses at several intensive care unit throughout hospitals in Montreal, Canada wondered if there might be a downside to this common practice. Specifically they worried about the effect on the babies' developing brains. In spite of the convenient benefits, the nurses were granted permission to give half the babies in their study plain water, while the other half got sugar water. They found that infants who got sugar in their first seven days of life suffered neurological effects that were still measurable when the study ended, eleven weeks later. "[H]igher number of doses of sucrose predicted lower scores on motor development and vigor. and alertness and orientation...and higher NBRS [NeuroBiological Risk Score, a reflection of processes deleterious to brain development]."

What does this study indicate? Little nips of sugar water given to alleviate pain impair a baby's cognitive development.
How could sugar have such powerful effects? As I mentioned earlier, sugar induces endogenous opiate release. The study authors postulate that repeated artificially induced stimulation of the immature brain with endoge¬nous opiates interferes with normal development of alertness and arousal systems, so much so that babies who got the most sugar became lethargic. Endogenous opiates normally play a role in making us feel okay after some¬thing bad happens to us. The authors suggest that using sugar to induce the brain to release endogenous opiates during trauma prevents the brain from developing strategies to deal with pain normally. Why do they lose cognitive ability too? That question has yet to be answered.[...]

{Now she gives a very strong argument against all sugars}

Simple or Complex? Same Difference!

Everyone knows what a sugar high is. You eat a couple pieces of cake and the next thing you know you're bouncing off the walls. And what hap¬pens afterwards? Your energy level plummets and you feel lethargic. If it's really bad, you feel like you're getting the shakes. The temptation is to tea: these withdrawal symptoms with more sugar.

Sound familiar? Withdrawing from a sugar binge can feel a lot like withdrawing from a lot of other drugs, like alcohol. And we often treat other options. To avoid hangovers, you could drink less or none at all. Or, alternatively, you could avoid the spikes and valleys by maintaining a more constant blood alcohol level. You could modulate your dose by drinking more often, starting first thing in the morning. It would really be convenient if you could find some kind of a "complex" form of alcohol, one that takes time for the intestine to break down so that four or five drinks, downed all at once, could provide a nice, steady buzz for the rest of the day. If there were such an alcohol, no doubt we'd call it the "good" alcohol, the one preferred by all health-conscious alcoholics to avoid ever waking up with a hangover again.

Sugar is a "simple" carb. String a bunch of sugars together and you've got starch, a "complex" carb. There's much ado about complex carbs being healthier than sugars but, nutritionally, there's no difference whatsoever. The only difference between simple and complex carbs is how quickly they get into your bloodstream. So if you have diabetes or are just trying to avoid sugar swings, understand that when dietitians encourage choosing complex carbs for breakfast, it's very much as if they're telling a binge drinker to pace himself and get started first thing in the morning.

When you're eating pasta or a cracker, you don't feel as though you're doing anything naughty, because it doesn't taste sweet, like candy. But the molecules that make up starch are naughty; they're sugar. And once in your bloodstream, they'll be up to no good. Starch is like a chain gang which, when bound together in a long molecule (too long to fit into your taste buds) won't cause any harm. But if you let a cracker sit on your tongue long enough—or get broken down by digestion—the starch molecules turn into the very same sugar that you know is bad for your body.

If you've ever sat down and finished off a box of crackers, you've essentially just eaten a box of sugar. This stems from the fact that there's a big difference between ingesting and absorbing nutrients. You can swallow a small , marble and say you've eaten it, but you'll never absorb it. Technically, eating refers only to the act of swallowing, whereas absorption refers to the act of bringing chemicals into your body. The point is, whether you eat sugar or starch, your body winds up absorbing sugar.

When we're talking carbs and sugar, we need to define our terms clearly. All carbs are composed of individual sugar molecules, called monosaccha¬rides. Table sugar is made from glucose and fructose monosaccharides bound together into a disaccharide called sucrose. Mono- and disaccharides are simple carbohydrates, a.k.a. sugars. If more monosaccharide units are added to the chain, the name changes to oligosaccharide, oligo meaning few. Starches have hundreds of monosaccharide units connected together and are called "complex."

Foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice are little more than containers for sugar. A seven-ounce serving of cooked spaghetti is converted into the amount of sugar contained in four 12-ounce cans of Pepsi. Unlike Pepsi, the pasta has been fortified with iron and a few vitamins. The starchy parts of plants also carry small amounts of protein and minerals, but white flour and white rice have had most of that removed. Whether the rice and bread are white or brown, whether the starch is in the form of breakfast cereal or tor¬tilla chips, pasta or pancakes, complex or simple, you're mostly eating sugar. [...]

Fruit Sugar

Another big source of sugar that surprises many people is sweet, sugary fruit. We've heard time and again we should "eat fruits and vegetables," as though the two are equivalent. But they're not. Vegetables contain a higher nutrient-to-energy ratio than fruit. Even fruits with decent nutrient content—like wild blueberries—are full of sugar. When you eat citrus, you're getting a wallop of sugar with very little nutrient thrown in. That's why, for most people, eating one apple-sized portion of fruit per day is plenty. With all that sugar, fruit just doesn't make the grade as a health food. As I tell my patients, fruit is a more natural alternative to a candy bar. And fruit juice, which lacks fiber and many of the antioxidants, is little better than soda.

People often protest the idea that fruit should be consumed in limited amounts. "At least it's natural sugar!" they say. Sure, but all sugar is natural. Sugar cane is natural. So is the corn from which high fructose corn syrup is made. The difference between sugar in fruit and sugar in high-fructose corn syrup (or confectioner's powder or granulated sugar) is that the former is still in its source material and the latter has been refined out of the source material and is devoid of other nutrients. And yes, that makes fruit a little better than sugar, but it's nothing to get worked up about. Though fruits do contain fiber, minerals, tannins and other flavinoids, which can function as antioxidants, sweet fruit is mostly sugar. What about honey? Same idea, mostly sugar and very little of anything else. [...]

She basically says that complex carbs, even though they don't trigger your insulin levels so strongly as simple sugars, have the capacity of staying in your blood longer, allowing for AGEs (glycating reactions) to occur.

Psyche said:
Eating Eyes is good for your eyes. Eating joints is good for your joints.

Thanks for posting these excerpts Psyche! Whoa, who thought it'd be that simple and logical! Never tried eating eyeballs though, maybe I should give it a try, if I can find it.

This last section on fat is very interesting. They're basically saying that fat cells have the capacity to behave like pluripotential stem cells. It makes me wonder about those Venus figurines from the paleolithic time. Just thinking out loud here.

Deep Nutrition said:
Aside from acting as simple mechanical insulation and cushioning, body fat generates chemicals required for sexual development and reproduction, immune defense, blood clotting, circadian rhythm, and even mood and concentration 259 260'261 Life without any adipose tissue would be very difficult indeed. Paradoxically, not enough and too much fat tissue cause many of the same problems: "Fatless mice are prone to insulin insensitivity, glucose intolerance, hyperphagia, weight gain, fatty liver, and high triglyceride [levels]."262 Just like fat mice.

Most of us, of course, are trying to slim down. If you've gone on a diet without achieving the body-changing results you had hoped for, chances are you've never been given the full story on fat, its function, and the steps you can take to control it. The more we understand the reasons our bodies create and retain fat, the better we can understand how to turn unwanted fat into something better.

The wonderful news is that fat cells, like all cells, are always ready to follow our instructions on what to do next. Those instructions come primarily from physical activity and the foods we eat. Contrary to popular belief, fat cells are not forever. But the strategy is not to "melt the pounds away" by Irving, or sweating them out into the ether. [...]

Why Supplements Won't Work

So what are those chemical signals? That's the question that a multi¬billion dollar industry has been obsessing over for decades.

In 1995, researchers working with a breed of grossly overweight mice discovered that the breed lacked a chemical called leptin. Biotech companies immediately saw dollar signs, investing heavily in leptin research. They even patented the gene. Shortly after its discovery, leptin was found to suppress appetite and fat cell division. Leptin researchers thought they'd stumbled onto a goldmine.
They had, but it was fool's gold. Obesity isn't a simple matter of leptin deficiency; it's a complex problem of multiple imbalances. It soon became clear that overweight people are not only leptin deficient; they are also leptin resistant. Their bodies are unable to hear the signal leptin sends, so giving them more leptin wouldn't help. Worse, one potential side effect of leptin supplementation includes breast cancer.263 And so, as quickly as it came, the leptin gold rush was over. The rise and fall of leptin is emblematic of our misplaced faith in technologic fixes for biologic problems. The real solution will come not from technology, but biology—in the form of healthy food.

After learning that obese people were leptin resistant, the researcher:, missed an opportunity. If they'd recognized that leptin resistance might indicate that signals were being blocked, they might have asked a crucial question: What might be blocking them? We've already hinted at it in earlier chapters: a kind of chemical static that interferes with normal metabolic: processes called inflammation. [...]

Distorted Fats Damage Enzymes and Lead to Cellular Death

If you've read Chapter 8, you know that heating vegetable oils leads to the formation of oxidized and distorted fats called MegaTrans, and that these two groups of fats can generate free radicals, which are pro-inflammatory. You also know that saturated fat helps you resist free radical damage, and therefore resist inflammation. So you already know two factors other than calories that influence how fats affect your health. As we'll see, distorted fats like trans and MegaTrans can also make you gain weight.

Distorted fats are pro-inflammatory because of their unnatural shapes; they act like a booby trap for your enzymes. An enzyme called delta-9 desaturase mistakes trans fat for saturated fat and picks it up. But now that enzyme's in real trouble. There's a kink in the trans molecule that acts like a barb, so that once it goes in to the enzyme, it won't come out. Another enzyme called delta-6 desaturase thinks trans fat looks like an omega-3 or omega-6 fatty acid, so it picks it up and runs into the same problem: Once it touches trans, it can't let go. Trans fat in your diet effectively deactivates many of your delta-6 and delta-9 fat-metabolizing enzymes. With enough of these enzymes shut down, your cells can no longer metabolize normal, healthy fatty acids fast enough, and at high levels they can be toxic. [...]

Free fatty acids within liver and other cells may become toxic simply because too many can get "underfoot" (like kid's toys) and end up disturbing normal cellular activity. In muscle cells, for example, free fatty acids can interfere with the assembly of internal supports, called microtubules, that enable muscle cells to contract.269 With too much free fatty acid polluting a muscle cell, the microtubules cannot be properly constructed. And so they break apart. As fat continues to build up and internal supports break down, the cell enters a state of decay called lipoapoptosis.27° Lipoapoptosis kills healthy cells, leads to inflammation, immune disorders, and the buildup of additional fat.271

The more distorted fat you eat, the more inflammation you're fighting against. Trans fat reduces your ability to metabolize the saturated and essential fatty acids that you need to be healthy, so eating trans fat can initiate a vicious cycle. The Nurses' Health Study showed that a mere two percent increase in trans fat consumption correlated with a 40 percent increase in insulin resistance and diabetes 272 Once you develop diabetes, your metabolism is deeply committed to converting as many calories as it can into fat. Given the power of unnatural fat to disturb metabolism, it's no wonder the advice to avoid healthy, natural fat sets us up to fail.

To successfully avoid eating oxidized fats, you must avoid all foods containing vegetable oils. As I described in Chapter 7, vegetable oils are high in polyunsaturated fats, which are particularly prone to oxidation and readily deformed into the collection of distorted fatty acids I call MegaTrans. And, as explained in Chapter 7, saturated fat resists oxidation. So much so that, in; the body, it can help check inflammation before it gets too far out of control) [...]

High fructose corn syrup can make it practically impossible for you to normalize your weight. We've all heard that when bears need to fatten up for winter, they eat berries. It turns out that fructose sugar (in fruit, fruit juice, soda, and more) sends especially powerful fat-building signals by switching on liver enzymes for converting sugars to fat. Since most of the food you eat gets sent to the liver first, eating fructose effectively traps dietary carbohydrates in your liver and converts them to fat, preventing them from ever making it to muscle tissue where they could be burned during exercise.

So fructose-containing foods can make you pack on the pounds, but there's really no sugar that's good for you. As we saw in Chapter 9, sugar sticks to things. A sugar coating on your cells (in the form of AGEs) blocks hormone signals. This blocking ability is disruptive, and so sugar itself (when : consumed in high levels) is pro-inflammatory. Excess dietary sugar disrupts hormonal signals for building muscle, for instance. You'll see below that the process of converting fat to muscle involves all kinds of hormone signals. and sugar-induced AGEs can block them all.

Because carbohydrates in your food are converted into sugars, a diet high in pastas, breads, and so on, is inherently pro-inflammatory as well Worse, these starchy foods are so bereft of vitamins and other antioxidants that building a diet around them can make it hard for your body to control oxidation reactions once they start. This puts you deeper into a pro-inflammatory state.[...]

Learn Where Fat Comes From—And Where it Goes

Fat Grows from Stem Cells

You've probably heard of stem cells, immature cells derived from em¬bryos with the potential to grow replacement parts for any organ. These are the cells you've seen researchers use to grow ears on the back of mice. Many believe stem cells hold the cure for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and a host of other currently incurable diseases, and someday they may. But if you want to 'reshape your body, harnessing stem cell versatility can help you achieve that goal today.

One of the most frustrating things about fat is its ability to seemingly appear from nowhere. It's really coming from stem cells.273 When you eat sugar, starch, and trans fat without exercising your body will churn out new fat cells like a termite queen producing eggs. When stem cells turn into fat cells and grow plumper, you grow plumper too.

One reason diets fail is that cutting back on calories without changing any other habits sends precisely the wrong message. The body presumes that the relative scarcity of food, in combination with little activity, must mean food has become so scarce you've given up looking for more. If it has the slightest chance to store surplus energy as fat, the panicked body reasons it had better do so. Under these circumstances, stern cells stand at the ready to convert themselves into more energy-storing fat cells. Frightening our stem cells into turning into fat cells is exactly the wrong thing to do. Instead, we should capitalize on the stem cell's protean nature and convince it to turn into a kind of cell we want.

Like what, you say? Like muscle, blood vessel, nerve and bone. What's even more remarkable than stem cell versatility is the fact that grown-up fat cells seem capable of changing their identity almost as readily as stem cells can. That means you don't need to starve to get rid of all that flab; it can be transformed into the healthy tissues of a brand new beautiful you.

Fat Can Transform Back into Stem Cells, and Other Types of Cells

You might find this hard to believe, but fat cells require constant attention to maintain their girth. Many people who have tried to improve their looks by having fat injected into their lips and cheeks have seen their enhancement melt away when the transplanted fat cells refused to flourish in their new locations. When researchers investigated this phenomenon, they found that not only had the once-plump cells slimmed down to fusiform slivers, some had changed into an entirely different type of cell, called a fibrocyte, the type of cell most prevalent in the tissues into which the fat cells had been injected.274 Apparently, fibrocytes surrounding the transplanted fat cells refused to make the introduced cells feel at home (by producing the necessary fat-sustaining hormones). Without these hormones, the receptors and enzymes that enable fat cells to do their thing—ingest sugar and fat and grow pudgy—began to shut down. Shrinking under the peer pressure of a hormonally cold shoulder, the unwelcome guests simply conformed to the rules of the neighborhood and reinvented themselves as fibrocytes.

You may be able to coerce fat cells into becoming just about anything you want. Fat tissue belongs to a class of body material called connective tissue, which collectively includes collagen, bone, muscle, blood, and associ¬ated cells. Some cell biologists now believe that one type of connective tissue cell permanently retains its ability to transform into another cell type when¬ever chemical signals instruct it to do so. So muscle cells can become fat cells: fat can become bone; and then a bone cell can change back to a fat cell again. This process is termed .transdifferentiation. As I'll discuss later. there is evidence that the potential for transdifferentiation may even extend across all tissue types.275'276277278

All this suggests that a fat cell on your thigh today might once have been a muscle, bone, or skin cell, living someplace else in your body. But why, you may wonder, would any cell decide to pack its bags and head to an entirely new location? It would if it received a chemical memo saying that its service in its current tissue is no longer required, and that it should head to its new assignment in the fat department.

So if some fat cells were once cells in preferable kinds of tissues, how can we order them to go back? One of the most effective ways to send that kind of message is with exercise. According to Dr. Robert Lustig, Professor of Pediat¬ric Endocrinology at University of California, San Francisco, the reason exer¬cise treats obesity is not because it "burns" calories. "That's ridiculous," he says. "Twenty minutes of jogging is one chocolate chip cookie. I mean you can't do it. One Big Mac requires three hours of vigorous exercise to burn off. That's not the reason exercise is important."279 Exercise is important because it generates signals to transdifferentiate your fat.

Exercise works at least three ways: 1) It increases insulin sensitivity, so you need less insulin to get sugar out of the bloodstream. This allows your insulin levels to drop, which tells your fat cells to slow down the conversion of sugar into more fat. 2) It reduces the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol packs fat around organs (as opposed to under the skin) where it produces lots of pro-inflammatory chemicals, which in turn tell the body to produce still more fat. And 3) Exercise makes blood sugar levels drop, and with it the potential for AGEs and the sugar-induced inflammation that blocks healthy body-building signals.

So if our body simply recycles cells from one tissue type to another, how does weight ever go down? Once fat cells store energy, they guard it jealously, reluctant to give it up. But when you convert fat to muscle, you rev up your metabolism, which drains fat cells. What's more, fat cells can undergo the same kind of cellular suicide that tumor cells can, called apoptosis.

This discovery that so many cellular transformations are occurring has unsettled the medical community, which must now abandon the old notion of a cell as something created to be a lifelong member of one particular cellular species. This model grossly underestimates the cell's protean nature. Just as genes change in reaction to what we eat, think, and do, cells change their internal construction too, dedifferentiating from a mature phase back into the immature, pluripotent stage of cell life. And then, from the pluripotent stage, they can be instructed to redifferentiate back into the original, or even be recruited into another type of tissue altogether. The culture medium scien¬tists use for inducing all those cellular transformations is not an alien brew of unnatural chemicals, but rather a full complement of vitamins, amino acids, and sugar, plus different mixtures of naturally occurring growth factors and hormones that a healthy young body normally manufactures. The readiness and completeness with which cells respond to such instructions suggests that these conversions are an integral aspect of healthy physiologic function.[...]

Inflammation Makes Fat Invasive, Like Cancer

Now that you know all kinds of body tissues can interconvert, let's take a look at how this process can work against us to make us not just too heavy but also unhealthy.

On a pro-inflammatory diet, our physiology starts making fat cells so fast you'd think it were some kind of nervous habit. When stressed, we head straight for the Haagen-Dazs. And in a sense, so do our physiologies, as transdifferentiation converts all kinds of cells into fat.

In patients with age-related dementia, grey matter gets replaced by cells containing excessive amounts of fat.281 Osteoporotic bones have had bone-forming cells replaced by fat cells.282 And fatty liver, a common cause of chronic indigestion and GERD symptoms (like heartburn), is caused by fat cell formation at the expense of normal, functioning liver cells. To put all this in terms of the larger regulatory picture, when muscle, bone, gland, and nerve cells are denied a full complement of vitamins, amino acids,
seem to take that denial as a signal to dedifferentiate and start storing fat. With so many cells abandoning their posts in healthy tissues to join the growing ranks of fat cells, you can imagine how poorly these tis¬sues function. This whole degenerative process can be expedited in the pres¬ence of cortisol from stress and lack of sleep, or from the many inflammatory factors that build up from a lack of exercise. An imbalanced diet, which re¬leases still more inflammatory signals, makes things even worse.

Fat-making may seem like the body's default reaction, but really it's just the default reaction in periods of stress and nutrient deprivation. When the body gets all the real food, exercise, and rest that it needs, the default reac¬tion is to convert unwanted fat cells into something better.

Oxajil said:
Psyche said:

Thanks for posting these excerpts Psyche! Whoa, who thought it'd be that simple and logical! Never tried eating eyeballs though, maybe I should give it a try, if I can find it.

How about some fish head soup. It sounds less shocking. Plus, you get the brain too! LOL! I don't know what to make of it. But I think that fish head soup sounds yummy ;)

Psyche said:
How about some fish head soup. It sounds less shocking. Plus, you get the brain too! LOL! I don't know what to make of it. But I think that fish head soup sounds yummy ;)

Ah yes, that sounds better! :D

Psyche said:
Oxajil said:
Psyche said:

I've also heard from numerous sources that if one needs to heal certain organ, one needs to incorporate that organ into the diet.

At the beginning of the diet I have started to have liver issues, milk thistle along with alpha lipoic acid/Vit C helped, but the biggest impact I think was from eating calf liver. It really did miracles to get my liver back to being functional in rather short period of time. I should have done it earlier.

I thought I would bring this up in view of the severe allergy problems in the world today and the rash problems that some people are having. I was thinking that perhaps an imbalance in the omega 6 and omega 3 ratio was contributing to the rash problems, since it is so darn difficult to get good quality meat. Even so called organic meat can be rich in omega 6s depending on what the animal ate in the last days. This means that we have to up our intake of omega 3s an possibly get some good quality cod liver oil.

Deep Nutrition said:
The day after Christmas, a woman ran into our office shouting, "My baby! My baby!" and disappeared back out into the parking lot. The nurse on duty raced out front to find a panicked mother struggling with a car seat where a baby lay listless, strawberry red and covered in blotchy hives, his lips purple and swollen. The infant was having a severe inflammatory reaction and was struggling just to breathe.

Baby Kyle, who was never breastfed, was in the throes of an anaphylactic reaction, triggered by a few spoonfuls of low-fat, high sugar blueberry yoghurt. Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction involving inflammation of the blood vessels throughout the body, and it can kill. In the last chapter, we saw how inflammation interferes with cell communication and leads to weight gain. Anaphylaxis is a classic case of inflammation gone completely out of control. Fortunately, the pediatrician administered powerful anti-inflammatory medications, which saved little Kyle's life.

Pro-Inflammatory Fats and Sugar Age Us Prematurely

Food allergies, some serious like this, are on the rise. In fact, the number of children with food allergies has risen 100 percent in the past five years.293 [...]

This chapter will discuss what kind of health children with food allergies, or anyone raised on pro-inflammatory fats and sugars, can look forward to as he grows older. That discussion will focus on the effects of poor diet upon collagen-rich connective tissue, since healthy collagen is key to healthy aging. If your parents aged well or lived a long time, you can be sure they had good, strong colla¬gen.

Unfortunately, however, you can't count on inheriting collagen of the same quality. The quality of a person's collagen is not written in genetic stone. (As you now know, there's no such thing as "genetic stone" since your genes are always changing.) Like other tissue types, collagen is made from raw materials you must eat. Unlike other tissues, however, collagen is uniquely sensitive to metabolic imbalances. When your body is making col¬lagen, it's performing a physiologic high-wire act, a feat of extraordinary timing and mechanical precision. This level of complexity makes collagen more dependent on good nutrition and more vulnerable to the effects of pro-inflammatory foods than other tissue types.

When we talk about people who have aged well, one of the first things we think about is healthy skin. But if you've read any beauty magazines in the past decade, you know that skin health depends on collagen health. [...]

{Here they tie this information with the importance of having "joints" from animals, whether in broths or not, and how healthy it is for your joints and all your connective tissues}

Red Rashes—Red Alarms Signaling an Imbalanced Diet

If you slap someone's cheek, it turns red. Ever wonder why? The injt triggers a healthy inflammatory response, which dilates the blood vessels the skin. This allows more oxygen, white blood cells, and nutrients to give the injured tissue a little boost to regain normal function.

But what about red rashes that just appear for no apparent reason? I see patients with rashes every day in clinic. And I take every one of them seriously because they're a sign your body—and your diet—are out of balance maybe severely. In the most severe cases of imbalance, anaphylactic reactions like baby Kyle's are a real possibility. Even slight immune system imbalance leaves you vulnerable to all manner of recurring problems, feeling fine one minute and horrible the next.

All kinds of allergic reactions can occur whenever someone's immune system has been so overwhelmed by conflicting signals from excessive going inflammation that its chemical programming gets confused. The fused immune system interprets normal body proteins as foreign launches an attack. The affected tissues then ooze chemicals that blood flow and cause serum to leak into their surroundings. On the skin.. may see a number of red, raised so-called wheal and flare reactions that I, little like mosquito bites. The affected blood vessels can be anywhere. sinuses, lungs, kidneys, joints, etc. Depending on the location and the severity of the immune response, a person's symptoms may be mildly annoying -a runny nose or watery eyes—or they may be life threatening. Immune system confusion will vary day by day depending on stress, infection, sleep, and diet, making allergic reactions hard to predict. To get off the roller coaster, be confident that a good diet can straighten out even the most confused im¬mune systems.

One of the most common rashes I see is eczema. People with eczema can develop itchy, blotchy red rashes all over their body. As with all allergic dis-orders, the symptoms of eczema can resolve but then flare up again and again throughout a person's entire life. People with eczema—just like people with food allergies—may also experience immune system imbalance elsewhere in the body, causing allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, and asthma. Food allergies, chronic runny noses, asthma—the underlying cause is the same, im-mune system imbalance caused by pro-inflammatory foods.

When Kyle's pediatrician referred him for allergy testing, his mother learned that her ten-month-old had already developed allergies to proteins in milk, shellfish, green beans, and eggs—some of which he'd never even eaten. As Kyle grows and his airway enlarges and better tolerates small de¬grees of swelling, he may overcome the breathing crises. But if his mother keeps feeding him the standard Food-Pyramid-compliant diet, he will de¬velop more inflammatory problems. One of the most common and most dis¬figuring is acne.

How Inflammation Causes Scarring Acne

Earlier in the book, I explained how oxidation damages fats, and how those damaged fats lead to inflammation, making it nearly impossible to lose weight. Oxidized fats in our skin lead to the pustular inflammation that teenagers, and many adults, dread.
Right now, you're covered in bacteria—billions of them. Don't bother sunning off to the shower; you'll never get rid of them all. These beneficial bacteria protect us from infection. They make their living off the shed of dead skin cells, which are so loaded with protein and fat that they a reliable food source for all kinds of microbes.

If bacteria were to penetrate the dead outermost layer of skin, patrolling white blood cells would go berserk. To them, the foreign proteins and oxi¬dized fats adorning cell membranes of invasive bacteria are signs of trouble and, like beat cops spotting a couple of hoodlums carrying weapons into a playground, they sound the alarm. Like a well-trained swat team, swarming white blood cells bust down doors and break through walls to get to the target, shooting free radicals and releasing those collagen-chewing enzymes (called collagenases). If it was all a false alarm caused by diet-induced accidental inflammation and in reality no real infection—well, too bad. Whit blood cells aren't disposed to quibbling over such nuances, so you'll just have to deal with the scars. If you've ever had an abscess, you know that the first thing the doctor wants to do is drain it. That's all the body is trying – do by unleashing its collagenases.

Acne is a problem of oil oxidation. When we eat easily oxidizable, un-natural oils, they wind up everywhere—our arteries, our nervous system, and the skin on our face. White blood cells mistake oxidized oil for the fatty acids that coat the surface of invasive bacteria, and squads of white blood cells rush to the scene. And as you know, they show up swinging and strike at everything within reach. The acne lesion swells and reddens. Once the battle is over, the site is commemorated with a permanent pit. This is called cystic-nodular acne, an example of an inflammatory false alarm generated not by infection but by oxidized oils. So if you or your teen is fighting acne, step one is getting off of vegetable oil. And while you're at it, get off sugar too. Sugar suppresses the immune system and feeds the bacteria living in acne pustules.

When I see a person with acne, it suggests they've been eating pro inflammatory foods full of sugar and vegetable oil. Pro-inflammatory foods send powerfully disruptive signals that will override signals for less urgent metabolic needs (like muscle development, as we saw in the last chapter). So people with bad acne are also prone to hormone imbalances, reproductive challenges, and a variety of other problems.

Today acne is the most common skin disease, with nearly 90 percent of adolescents affected.302 But there's little evidence that acne occurred at any¬thing near these rates in the distant past, and many dermatologists believe it is a modern disease.

Though I'm four pages to catch up on, I wanted to add that I’m in my 5th week of low carb intake; the last two weeks just 15 grams/day by drinking 330 ml Vita Coco Water, a natural source of:

Vitamin C (1,150mg)
Potassium (680mg)
Sodium (40mg)
Calcium (50mg)
Magnesium (30mg)
Phosphorus (35mg)

So far my main objectives have been to stop the overworking of insulin and also to heal my gut. Thanks to this thread I’ve felt little adverse effects other than a headache or two and occasional muscle aches in my thighs. I drink plenty of water, eat more salt, butter and lard, and supplement my diet with Magnesium, L-carnitine, Omega 3, 6, & 9 (fish oils plus Borage oil) Vitamins C & D. I’m also drinking warm water and ACV first thing in the morning.

For healing the gut I’m diligently taking Colostrum, and L-glutamine.

I can’t say if I’ve reached ketosis, though there’s a definite change in my energy (I’ve only begun to measure protein.) I feel much better physically and mentally and what’s left of my psoriasis is disappearing – noticeable amounts every day!

Keto-Milk
This tastes surprisingly like milk and provides MCTs for ketone production.

Blend until smooth:
Equal parts filtered/distilled water and coconut milk/cream
2-4 Tbls virgin coconut oil for each serving
Salt
Very little sweetener such as stevia or xylitol
(If you don’t have stevia or xylitol try ½ banana for every 2 cups liquid.)

Laura said:
Potassium citrate is usually administered by mouth in dilute aqueous solution. This is because of its somewhat caustic effect on the stomach lining, and the potential for other mild health hazards.

The maximum allowable over-the-counter (OTC) dose for elemental potassium is regulated by the FDA to be no more than 100 mg (approximately 3% of the daily allowance).[citation needed] Pure potassium citrate contains 38.28% potassium.

So THAT's why my potassium citrate reads that it's only 3% of the RDA. I could not figure out why they'd make it that way.

Psyche said:
First, some cooking tips to get the most of our foods:

Cooking Meat, Rule Number One: Don't Overcook It

When I started eating meat again after experimenting with vegetarian¬ism in graduate school, Luke's opinion that well-done meat is wasted meat was unconvincing. But after studying the chemistry of well-done versus rare, I recognized that, once again, Luke's primal instinct was spot on. I can still recall the effort required to swallow my first bloody, glumpy, chewy bite when I crossed over to the other side of the culinary divide. Luke's delicious brown stock gravy helped my first time go much easier. Now, five years later and much the wiser, I find meat cooked as much as medium to be stringy, chewy, coarse and devoid of the savory flavor of juicy red blood. I'll never go back.

When it comes to steak, it's not the size that matters; it's the consistency and texture. Overcooked meat is tough because its fat, protein, and sugar molecules have gotten tangled and fused together during a wild, heat-crazed chemical orgy. The result is a kind of tissue polymer that requires more work to cut with a knife and more chewing, as well as more time to digest. The worst part is that so many of the nutrients we need are ruined.

Ruined nutrients don't just politely disappear. Once ingested, your body won't be able to simply flush them down some metabolic drainpipe. When heat kills nutrients, it does so by causing reactions between nutrients, forming new chemical compounds including known carcinogens (such as aromatic hydrocarbons and cyclic amines), as well as other molecular fusions that damage your kidneys and blood vessels.140 When meat is cooked properly, fewer harmful reactions occur.141 The nutrients and flavor compounds survive, and can now be gently released into the meat's juices where they are more bioavailable, and more readily tasted and absorbed So how much heat is too much heat? If, when you slice it, there's not even a trickle of juice, it's way overdone. Steak should be juicy and red. I recommend you work your way down to medium rare, and once you get used to that, go for rare. One last thought: If you're an Anthony Bourdain fan, you already know that restaurant patrons who order their steak well done get the oldest, least choice cuts. It's not that the chefs have it in for peo¬ple who order their steaks brown. They have to save the freshest product for those palates that can taste the difference.

Cooking Meat, Rule Number Two: Use Moisture, Time, and Parts

[...] It is a little-known fact that when a chef talks about flavor, he's also talk¬ing about nutrients. When he says some flavors take time to develop, he's saying sometimes you have to wait for certain nutrients to be released. Cooking meat slow is the best way to turn an ordinary meal into something extraordinary—in terms of taste and nutrition. The potential flavor of meat, or any food, derives from its complexity. Depending on the cut, "meat" may include muscle, tendon, bone, fat, skin, blood, and glands—each a world of chemical diversity. When that diversity is released on your tongue you can taste it, and the rich, savory flavor means a world of nutrients are on their way.

You don't actually need a slow cooker to cook meat slowly and enjoy all the same benefits. All you need is moisture, time, and parts (as many different tissue types as possible: ligament, bone, fat, skin, etc.). Making soup, stewing, keeping a top on to trap the steam, basting often when cooking in the oven—all these techniques keep the moisture inside the meat, enabling water molecules to make magic happen. Here's how.

The transformation of, say, a cold and flavorless chicken leg into some-thing delicious begins when heated moisture trapped in the meat creates the perfect conditions for hydrolytic cleavage (see figure 1). At gentle heating tem-peratures, water molecules act like miniature hacksaws, neatly chopping the long, tough strands of protein apart, gently tenderizing even the toughest tissue. And because water also prevents nearby strands from fusing together, keeping meat moist prevents the formation of the protein tangles that make overcooked meat so tough.

How does hydrolytic cleavage translate into taste? It's simple. Taste buds are small. The receptor site where chemicals bind to them is tiny. So things that impart taste (called flavor ligands) must be tiny, too. If you were to take a bite of a cold, raw leg of chicken, you wouldn't get much flavor from it. Cooking releases trapped flavor because, during the process of hy¬drolytic cleavage, some proteins are chopped into very small segments, cre¬ating short strings of amino acids called peptides. Peptides are tiny enough to fit into receptors in our taste buds. When they do, we get the sensation of savoryness food manufacturers call the "fifth flavor," or umami. (Sour, bitter, salt, and sweet are the other four major flavors.) [...]

Cooking Meat, Rule Number Three: Use the Fat

{Some basic information that we already discussed repeatedly skipped}

Since, to keep meat moist, fat must be located on the outside of a cut of meat, good butchers strive to produce cuts encased inside a neat layer of rich, tasty fat. In smaller, leaner animals like birds, most of the fat sits right under the skin, naturally in the perfect location to keep meat moist during cooking. If you want a flavorful, juicy bird, for goodness' sake don't peel off the skin!

One of the latest new trends in the food world falls squarely in the category of everything-old-is-new-again: grass-fed beef. Pasture-raised beef has all kinds of advantages, both for you and for the animals. You may have heard that grass-fed is good for you because of its higher omega-3 content. That's true. But to get that omega-3, you have to get large cuts of meat with an exterior layer of fat (or the liver, or the bone marrow, or other "nasty bits"—see below). Compared to most grocery store beef, which comes from grain fed cows and is heavily marbled with heat-resistant saturated fat, the muscle in pastured cows is relatively lean. So when you buy a grass-fed steak, it's practically fat free and will dry out quicker during cooking than the typical grocery store steaks that you might be used to. [...]

Aha! I was just discussing the problem with overcooked meat with Brainwave this past weekend and she was difficult to convince, so this is great info! :)

seek10 said:
Well, with 9 mg Melatonin, 5-HTP etc. I am pushing my self to sleep 8 hrs or little more,if time permits. What I observed is I wake up after around 5 hrs with a fear of failure . After that it is a sleep with 2 or 3 of breaks and lot of dreams of mechanical nature that is the reflection of my time at work " mentally carried away by the overwhelming amount of 'to do', expectations, over arousal from defense mechanisms etc." I am making it a point to stay in dark for at least 8 hrs. It feels good to be in dark for that time.

That's a great start! Don't worry about failing, just lying in the dark is better than being up and in the light. Just stay there - if you drift back off, great, if not, you eventually will. Step by step - you'll get there!

Not overcooking meat reminds me of a passage in the Secret History where the inhabitants of the Canary islands were reported to cook meat slightly so they do not loose some nutrients.

I'm going to be experimenting with upping my potassium levels. If anybody else tries it, keep us posted.

Laura said:
I'm going to be experimenting with upping my potassium levels. If anybody else tries it, keep us posted.

Last night despite taking everything (fish oil, two cups of water, salt and a small amount of electrolyte powder, *edit* also transdermal magnesium oil) I was getting increasing cramp twinges in my legs. So I took a whole heap of electrolyte powder and it cleared that up instantly. So it seems it does help (but it may not just be the potassium).
I'd guess there was about 1-2g of electrolyte powder (just under half a tea spoon).
Having said that, be cautious and perhaps try increasing it incrementally. For me it was 1am and my legs where getting worse by the minute.

*edit to add* I've also had an extremely stressful overly long (12 hour days) at work this week, so stress appears to be a contributing factor.

Jerry said:
Though I'm four pages to catch up on, I wanted to add that I’m in my 5th week of low carb intake; the last two weeks just 15 grams/day by drinking 330 ml Vita Coco Water, a natural source of:

Vitamin C (1,150mg)
Potassium (680mg)
Sodium (40mg)
Calcium (50mg)
Magnesium (30mg)
Phosphorus (35mg)
Just Want to mention that all the coconut water has around 10 g sugar per average pre packaged small bottle.

Back
Top Bottom