"Life Without Bread"

I will read those treads and books but it will take me at least three months.
Even I maneged to do some reserch about diferences of burning of sugars,carbohidrates,protein and fat wich is pretty clear but ratios are problem.
Latley I simply started to eat more and I realy have increast energy and calmer mind,becouse I think that paleo diet is the most suitable for us to do proper job on the lower emotional centre becouse it decreases stress reactions.
Now about resistance training.I started to play waterpolo when I was 6 and it lasted untill I was 18,after that I trained some fight sports and I was quite active in a gym,so I can say that I have some expirience in resistance trainings.
Before several months I acidently bought book of Mark Lauren (spec ops training instruktor) where he describes exellent and most cheapest strainght traing that I saw.
All practises are with your own body weight and if you are not in shape you can easy adjust level of program;and the best thing is that he refers on gluten free diet and that program is created trough severe reaserch.It looks like only good thing that came out army bases.

Thank you for answers

And I forgoted to say that all excercises last 30 min and you can work at home or in nature,wich is the factor that save s time and money.

link

_http://www.marklauren.com/

Regulattor said:
loreta said:
I do some Yoga everyday, is that considered "resistance" exercises?

Although practicing Yoga have it's own benefits I don't think it would qualify for the resistance training. Resistance training would be much more like this:
_http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/12171/at-home-exercises-chest-press-on-floor
_http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/12231/at-home-exercises-row
_http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/12241/at-home-exercises-squat
_http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/12191/at-home-exercises-weighted-bicep-curl
_http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/resistance-training.htm

That's just basics, you will likely as you progress include more weight and additional exercises.
Hope this helps.

It helps surely! Thank you.

I have a quick question regarding rashes from the diet. I developed multiple skin rashes across my belly but especially the sides of my ribcage and upper back when I dropped my carb intake to zero about 1 1/2 months ago. The protocol in this thread for some was to take more digestive enzymes as this would help clear it out. I did do that, but the digestive enzymes I had didn't contain bile salts but I decided to finish up that batch anyways. It had no effect whatsoever. I then bought a better brand w/bile salts in it, and have noticed some reduction in certain areas, but I think some have formed into permanent scars that have been there the longest, and others like the ones on my lower back are still a bit 'bumpy' so they are newer and can hopefully disappear completey.

Wondering if there's anything else I can do other than digestive enzymes to help clear it out and maybe help clear up the scarred ones? It look's like when some people get permanent scars from acne, and I have never been one to have acne, pimples or anything like that.

Also, don't know if this helps, but when I was zero carb, I would fluctuate from diarrhea to constipation and was very gassy, so I re-introduced carbs 2 weeks ago, just a small amount 7-10grams/per day at the most, which has helped keep more rashes from appearing and evened out my bathroom trips a bit more. Still a bit gassy once in a while, though! :/

I talked to a nutritionist at the health supplement store and she thinks it could be detox effects from when I went zero carbs and some of the toxins went through the pathway of my skin.

Turgon said:
I talked to a nutritionist at the health supplement store and she thinks it could be detox effects from when I went zero carbs and some of the toxins went through the pathway of my skin.

Have you tried hydrocortisone cream?

Turgon said:
...Wondering if there's anything else I can do other than digestive enzymes to help clear it out and maybe help clear up the scarred ones? It look's like when some people get permanent scars from acne, and I have never been one to have acne, pimples or anything like that.

If you figure it out, please let me know. I didn't actually develop a rash from scratch. It was already there, though seasonal (went away in winter). It became much worse at ketogenic carb intake levels. It has improved with time, and maybe with warm salt baths, but it's still there and worse than before I started the KD.

Also, don't know if this helps, but when I was zero carb, I would fluctuate from diarrhea to constipation and was very gassy, so I re-introduced carbs 2 weeks ago, just a small amount 7-10grams/per day at the most, which has helped keep more rashes from appearing and evened out my bathroom trips a bit more. Still a bit gassy once in a while, though! :/

Sounds familiar. I also went up in carbs to stop it (Kresser calls it 'constarrhea' or something like that). When I tried zero carbs a year later, it didn't recur. So there's hope there. But now zero carbs gives me a pre-breakfast headache (not from low blood sugar) and ongoing abdominal pain in the general area of my liver, which doesn't seem like a good thing.

As I recall, when you start out, ketone wasting can occur through the skin and cause problems. Detox symptoms are certainly possible, but it can be more complicated than that. Some people unfortunately have disagreeable gut microorganisms that can cause all sorts of problems. I have gone through much of the information at _scdlifestyle.com and some of it seems to relate to my symptoms, but I have yet to work it out. Going zero carb seems to me like the most direct way to deal with most microorganism overgrowth problems, but it may not work for all.

Mrs. Peel said:
Turgon said:

Have you tried hydrocortisone cream?

Never heard of it before you mentioned it. I did some googling on it and there are some precautions and warnings with taking it here: _http://www.drugs.com/pro/hydrocortisone-cream.html

Topical corticosteroids share anti-inflammatory, anti-pruritic and vasoconstrictive actions.

I've been diagnosed with Raynauds, so not sure how I'll react to that as that's a big part of Raynauds - vasoconstrictive action of the blood vessels.

PRECAUTIONS
General
Systemic absorption of topical corticosteroids has produced reversible hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis suppression, manifestations of Cushing’s syndrome, hyperglycemia and glycosuria in some patients.

Conditions which augment systemic absorption include the application of the more potent steroids, use over large surface areas, prolonged use, and the addition of occlusive dressings.

Therefore, patients receiving a large dose of a potent topical steroid applied to a large surface area or under an occlusive dressing should be evaluated periodically for evidence of HPA axis suppression by using the urinary free cortisol and ACTH stimulation tests. If HPA axis suppression is noted, an attempt should be made to withdraw the drug, to reduce the frequency of application, or to substitute a less potent steroid.

Recovery of HPA axis function is generally prompt and complete upon discontinuation of the drug. Infrequently, signs and symptoms of steroid withdrawal may occur, requiring supplemental systemic corticosteroids.Children may absorb proportionally larger amounts of topical corticosteroids and thus be more susceptible to systemic toxicity

So this may be a last resort for me. :)

I will schedule an appointment with a doctor on Wednesday to see if they have any suggestions and there is a naturopath down the street from my workplace. Think I might pop in for a consultation to see if she can't offer any other suggestions as well.

megan said:
If you figure it out, please let me know. I didn't actually develop a rash from scratch. It was already there, though seasonal (went away in winter). It became much worse at ketogenic carb intake levels. It has improved with time, and maybe with warm salt baths, but it's still there and worse than before I started the KD.

Totally! I'll post what I find, if I find anything on here. BTW, I was wondering, do you take cold showers as well? Because I talked to a teacher, and she says because cold water closes your pores, bacteria can get trapped in there. So I'm wondering if that has played some role. After hearing that, I started taking warm showers again, and then at the end using cold water for a few minutes after I've soaped - but that's been a recent development. And if you are taking warm salt bath's and still have rashes, might not be a connection at all.

Turgon said:
I have a quick question regarding rashes from the diet.

It has been suggested that rashes during cold adaptation are mostly due to an imbalance of good fats vs bad fats in your body, that is, too much Omega-6s. This is hard to manage when even organic meats that are supposed to be high in Omega-3s are not.

Ketosis can trigger some rashes, but another thing to watch is spices as well. This post is useful:

Hydrochloric Acid Deficiency and Eczema
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg281575.html#msg281575

Other than some "die-offs" and DNA changes, I think the article above explains why many people might have rashes when starting a ketogenic diet. Not enough HCl, potassium and digestive enzymes. It takes awhile before the digestive system cranks up again.

These ones concern also the ketogenic rash:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg281507.html#msg281507
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg359332.html#msg359332
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg303697.html#msg303697

This thread is also rich in information:

Prurigo Pigmentosa (skin inflammation related to ketosis)
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,27816.msg342300.html#msg342300

Here is a 13 year-old farmer's perspective on producing healthy food (_http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_21967690):

Feeling grateful yet? Teenage poultry farmer dishes straight talk
Posted: 11/10/2012 12:01:00 AM MST
By Shelby Grebenc
Special to The Denver Post

Over the past year I have been trying to earn money. I have been doing this by helping plant a big garden and then selling lettuce and other vegetables that I raise at farmers markets.

I also have chickens and I sell eggs at a local dairy, farmers market, and from roadside signs telling people how to get to my house. I also sell live chickens and broilers.

People around me use words like "organic," "farm fresh," "local-food movement," "free range" and "sustainability," and I thought farming might be a good idea since we sort of do this for our family anyway. My dad raises our own cows because he does not want my brother or me exposed to growth hormones and antibiotics that are used to raise commercial meat. Dad thinks this is one of the reasons that my brother and I are thinner and smaller than our friends. I think it could just be that we work our tails off.

I charge $4.25 for a dozen of my eggs and $20 per broiler chicken based on my costs. Baby chickens cost me around $2 each. I lose around 10 percent of them because they just die for no reason when they are little.

An egg-layer chicken takes around 28 to 32 weeks to lay its first egg. A broiler chicken takes six to 20 weeks before it is ready to eat. All during this time, I have to feed, water and keep them warm. The layers are not laying eggs to sell yet. Heat lamps use electricity, and an electric bill can be around $200 per month.

A pound of chicken feed costs me 23 cents a pound if I order it in 6-ton batches. Each chicken eats around 2 pounds of food each week and produces around seven to 12 eggs per week. Egg cartons cost me a nickel each. I have to clean the chicken coop, gather, wash and package eggs, and then I have to have sawdust for bedding and nesting boxes. I pay $5 for each broiler chicken to be slaughtered, USDA inspected, packaged and flash frozen.

I also have to pay my dad for diesel to drive the chickens to the only USDA-inspected chicken processor in this state, which is in Nunn, close to 100 miles from my house, and a day or two later we have to drive back and pick them up.

I had to buy fencing for a pen because the foxes and the coyotes eat a lot of my birds because they are free-range and run around in the pasture. You can see there is not a lot of profit for me, but I don't do too bad for being 13 years old.

Thing No. 1 that I have learned about farming: People talk a lot, but it does not mean much. I have people who want lots of eggs tell me to deliver a certain amount every week. I have to save up the eggs to do this, and then they change their minds and don't want them.

Thing No. 2: People all say words like "farm fresh," "sustainability," but they don't want to actually pay for what it actually costs me to make it. Almost everyone tries to talk me into lowering my price or asks me to give my eggs away for free.

Thing No. 3: Perception is everything. I have chickens that lay both white and brown eggs. The chickens are raised side by side. They all get the same feed, and they all run around in the same pasture together. People perceive the brown eggs are better, so I have trouble selling white eggs.

When we are at the farmers markets, if Dad is sitting with me, I don't sell very many eggs or vegetables. If Dad is not sitting with me, I sell like crazy. Just how do the people shopping at the farmers market think that I got the great big F-350 truck that I am selling the eggs and vegetables out of down to the farmers market?

Thing No. 4: Farming takes a lot of time. I have to get up early so that I can feed and water everyone and be on the school bus by 7:50 a.m. When I get home I have to collect eggs, feed and water everyone again, and then package eggs. Then I get to do my homework.

Thing No. 5: Marketing. I collect my eggs in a 5-gallon bucket. This is practical, because it holds them all in one trip. If I have customers coming over when I am gathering eggs, I put my hair in pigtails, and I use a small straw basket and make lots of trips. People like to buy eggs from little kids skipping through the pasture with a basket of eggs.

Last thing: Farming is very hard work. I don't make a lot of money doing it, and people do not support what you are doing. I live out in the country. As new folks move in, they complain about the name of your farm, smells, mooing cows, bleating sheep and crowing roosters, even though these things were there before they built a million-dollar house and moved in. I do not plan on farming in the future.

If you want sustainable, wholesome, pasture-raised organic, hormone- and antibiotic-free food, you have to support it. You can not get these things by talking about it and not paying for it.

The next time you shop at a farmers market, think about what it cost me to grow it. Don't ask me to take less and then tell me you can get it cheaper at a big-box store. I know you can — but it will not be as fresh or as good as what I have, and you won't make me cry.

LQB said:
Here is a 13 year-old farmer's perspective on producing healthy food (_http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_21967690):

Great article--thanks for sharing LQB!

Foxx said:
LQB said:

Great article--thanks for sharing LQB!

Indeed. People will spend so much on things they don't need, but ask them to support a cause or something that does not give immediate, tangible pleasure, and they'll quickly find an excuse.

Hi, first off, I wanted to thank Megan for the book lead about the Fiber Menace – MUCH appreciated, just what I was looking for (via the search engine and fiber woe research).

Also, I had a tip for the individual who was tasting mold everywhere – I totally get that, for me I can smell it a mile away, quite annoying when other people dismiss it. I’m trying to lay off nuts myself, but remember a tip about getting the molds off of dry goods (from the Hulda Clark books) soak them with some Vit C.

Psyche said:
It has been suggested that rashes during cold adaptation are mostly due to an imbalance of good fats vs bad fats in your body, that is, too much Omega-6s. This is hard to manage when even organic meats that are supposed to be high in Omega-3s are not.

Ketosis can trigger some rashes, but another thing to watch is spices as well. This post is useful:

Thanks for the links about histamine. I have definitely shown side-effects to spices and onions and garlic, I've even noticed salmon as being a bit of an issue for me, but I don't think any of it is connected to the rashes.

Psyche said:
Not enough HCl, potassium and digestive enzymes. It takes awhile before the digestive system cranks up again.

It's definitely a digestion issue because slowly but surely I started noticing the colour of the rashes were melding back with my normal skin tone, to the point of barely being able to see them anymore. Then the other day I made Bone Marrow Broth for the first time in a week because I wasn't going to the bathroom again all that often and I got stomach pains after drinking it in the morning. It went away but I did drink it with most of my meals that day. The next morning I woke up with terrible stomach pains again and had 5-6 bowel movements throughout the day, each one progressively getting more watery than the last. When I went to take a shower that evening the rashes were bright red again.

I notice when I drink liquid-y food, either from a stew or broth, it does cause some gurgling in my stomach. And the only other thing I changed those days other than making the broth was going from Sweet Potatoes to a small amount of carrots because I ran out of the former.

I am taking Digestive Enzymes with HCL in it and potassium only sparingly if I get muscle cramps. I have been focused more on gut healing and inflammation with probiotics, L-Glutamine and Boswelia wanting to keep the small army of supplements use to a minimum.

So, I'm not really sure why I'm reacting like this to the bone broth. I basically just put water in there, no vinegar, although I do have apple cider vinegar in the pantry and then salt for taste when I start drinking it. Sometimes I add in additional fat if I don't get enough from my meal, but that's it...

Turgon said:
So, I'm not really sure why I'm reacting like this to the bone broth. I basically just put water in there, no vinegar, although I do have apple cider vinegar in the pantry and then salt for taste when I start drinking it. Sometimes I add in additional fat if I don't get enough from my meal, but that's it...

Your path sounds similar to mine in the recent past, but now I am all clear from rashes. Let me think back to what happened to see if there is something it might help you...

I stop using apple cider vinegar because I noticed it was making me itchy. I thought to myself that I ought to find an organic source and not the supermarket version next time. Haven't had the opportunity to follow on that one though.

I took the broth some days of the week but not all because I was not even at home to make it. So I started to compensate with butter. I don't mean to say that you should cut on the broth, but that since I didn't had a chance to have it, I started eating LOADS of butter. Practically an entire bar a day by myself. That seemed to make the whole difference. Last week, the only thing I had was a fatty meat and one egg in the morning and a fatty meat in the evening. All of it with TONS of butter and lots of sea salt. But tomorrow I'm finally going to make my week's stock of bone broth. I actually use pig's feet and eat it like jello after a day in the fridge. The jello had a better effect on my tummy. Lots of liquidy bone broth were causing me some bloating. Perhaps it is better like gelatin?:

Why Broth is Beautiful: Essential Roles for Proline, Glycine and Gelatin
http://www.sott.net/article/250379-Why-Broth-is-Beautiful-Essential-Roles-for-Proline-Glycine-and-Gelatin

I think the benefits of butter in clearing up my rash has to do with the butyrate that is found in it and which heals gut permeability, heals the gut lining and thus improves digestion. Here is a synthesis on the butyrate subject:

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28799.msg381111.html#msg381111

I also noticed that my meat cuts are extremely fatty and very good quality. Before I was buying in the supermarket and they were very bad quality. Now I'm getting all my meat from the butcher who carries only high quality meats. His cheapest cut is a super fatty veal that he raises. It was either that or a fatty pork chop or bacon.

For snack, I buy small butter cuts (like the ones they give you on airplanes) and add some salt and eat it out of the fridge so it is semi-solid.

I also used essential fatty acids on my rashes: evening primrose oil. Very very helpful. In PBPM, Nora Gedgaudas actually recommends supplementing on it. I figured that topical is as good. Then, there was a clear difference when I used an oxygenated version of the essential fatty acids which are commercialized in medicine for treating ulcers. It is basically ozonated essential oils. But olive oil will do if you can't find anything natural to moisturize your skin with.

Overall, the increase in butter/butyrate seems the one thing that helped the most.

Turgon, you may be keeping a bunch of hostile bacteria alive by feeding them with sweet potato and/or carrot. I had issues until I went totally keto for a full six weeks.

Back
Top Bottom