Travel warnings for Bali

People, the eruption of Mt. Kelud is covered in SOTT

http://www.sott.net/article/273799-Thousands-flee-explosive-eruption-at-Mt-Kelud .

The ash has caused havoc and killed 3 people so far. Air travel was cancelled to and from 5 cities located within 200 km from the eruption. Visibility in most of the airports was minimal, 10 to 20 meters today's morning news. A British Airway 747 was flying through a similar ash from another mountain eruption in 1982, bound for Auckland New Zealand from London when it lost power in all of its 4 engine and had to make emergency landing in Jakarta, narrowly escaping total destruction as the ash also scratched and burned the windshield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9. I saw a documentary on Flight 9 by National Geographic years ago.

Since then, flying over the ash and clouds from a volcano eruption at any heights is to be avoided at any cost, because the ash can reach great height in the atmosphere (37,000 feet for a 747) and a similar volcano eruption in Iceland made air travel in the world run amok.

Even as I'w writing this, I see the news that Mt. Kelud is still spewing hot lava and shaking ground felt at nearby cities.

Travelling over the Island of Java to and From Australia / New Zealand will be disrupted. By the way, Bali is very close to and many connecting flights to Bali will be cancelled as well.

I sure hope LadyRodgers gets to Bali safely.

We are here in Bali now. First time for the year. Our flight wasn't cancelled and we flew over on the 15th Feb. We are here for another couple of days. There are no visible effects of the volcanic disruption happening in Java. We have heard from local friends though that there is bad flooding and continued falling ash covering the streets in Java.

There is a lot of flu stuff going around here. We usually spend our time on a small island but the whole village was sick so we moved on. My son especially picks things up from the local children he plays with and no one was out to play with. None of us have gotten ill and we take supplements every day to help keep things at bay.

I do worry a little bit coming to Bali with the 100 plus volcanoes surrounding us but who really knows what will happen where anyways? We come here because we have very close friends to visit and it means we are not working and instead spending quality time together as a family.

The toughest thing here is sticking to a good diet. I do end adding rice to my choices which is tough on my gut after a while but once I get home I live on broth for a week and it settles things down.

Thanks for the update fisheye, and enjoy the rest of the trip. It's great that you weren't affected by the eruption. Stay safe!

Thanks for the update fisheye!
I'm meeting a GF over there in May I can't wait! I've been wanting to go for years.
I've read about a couple of recommended immunizations for hepatitas and typhoid, but I'm choosing not to get them. it also sounds like the rabies issue is better under control now as well.. Yay!

I was wondering about "must see" places that you might be willing to share.

Could you let me know a little more about your diet while in Bali? I am planning to travel round S.E.A. at the end of the year and am worried about how I will be able to stick to a Ketogenic diet while I'm there. How is it finding the right types of food?

We are Asian living in SEA and have been to Bali often. If you can stomach Asian food, Bali has a lot of stall food operators. These are the locals and Javaneses offering homecooked-style food that are pre-cooked. Many of the dishes are made with fish, chicken and beef. Some are fried, deep-fried and not always spicy. There is also the ubiquitous satay or sate which is barbequed strips of chicken, pork or beef eaten with a spicy peanut sauce. You can cut out the sauce if desired. We have never gotten ill eating at these stalls or warongs as they're called. The fat bit might be a bit more complicated although there is a specialty 'babi guling' which is roast pork...lotsa fatty cuts as they prepare the pigs whole. Hope it helps.

Hi Lainey and Ladyrogers.

As far as vaccinations, I have never gotten any. Neither have I chosen to take Malaria tabs. Just have some light weight long sleeve options for sundown just in case of mozzies. The malaria and Dengue mosquitos are also around during the day but if you are near the ocean often the sea breeze keep them at bay.

I stop into Earth Child in Seminyak and pick up a couple of bottles of Colloidial Silver. Its cheaper there than home and made locally.

I eat local dishes minus the rice i.e. stir fries, babu guling (pork belly), satay, peeps ikan (fish steamed in banana leaf). Young coconuts are every where and I drink one a day. Soups are prevalent and I ask if they can cook with coconut oil (which is often available).

I also go to the Matahari supermarket in Bintang square and buy coconut oil. We stay at the same place often so I have the kitchen cook my meals with it.

Breakfast is eggs and bacon every single day.

We go to Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningans (sister islands). They both have good surf options which is why we visit and there are no cars so its a pretty cruisey stay.

If you give me an idea of what you are hoping to do/see in Bali I am happy to send you some links of places I know.

I can recommend places for surfing, snorkelling and Pilates. Gotta go now but will check back later.

Thank you so much for your reply. The fried food was my main concern as I was worried about not having an option as to what oil the food was prepared with but now that you say about the coconut oil it makes perfect sense that they would have plenty! I'm very keen on yoga and was planning to visit Seminyak, Ubud and Kuta. I think I'll spend most of my time in Ubud, is there anything you would reccommend as a "can't miss"?

fisheye said:
Hi Lainey and Ladyrogers.

As far as vaccinations, I have never gotten any. Neither have I chosen to take Malaria tabs. Just have some light weight long sleeve options for sundown just in case of mozzies. The malaria and Dengue mosquitos are also around during the day but if you are near the ocean often the sea breeze keep them at bay.

I stop into Earth Child in Seminyak and pick up a couple of bottles of Colloidial Silver. Its cheaper there than home and made locally.

I eat local dishes minus the rice i.e. stir fries, babu guling (pork belly), satay, peeps ikan (fish steamed in banana leaf). Young coconuts are every where and I drink one a day. Soups are prevalent and I ask if they can cook with coconut oil (which is often available).

I also go to the Matahari supermarket in Bintang square and buy coconut oil. We stay at the same place often so I have the kitchen cook my meals with it.

Breakfast is eggs and bacon every single day.

We go to Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningans (sister islands). They both have good surf options which is why we visit and there are no cars so its a pretty cruisey stay.

If you give me an idea of what you are hoping to do/see in Bali I am happy to send you some links of places I know.

I can recommend places for surfing, snorkelling and Pilates. Gotta go now but will check back later.

Hi fisheye,

Thanks for the update. I have often wanted to take the kids and go to Bali just for some R&R and a bit of sight-seeing. I'd like to stay away from the seedier places; those islands you mentioned sound great. Would you be so kind as to post some links of where you stayed?

Was recently in Bali for three weeks and used to organize and chaperone student trips there. Have never had any vaccinations but did get Dengue Fever once several years ago but got over it in a day and a half. Maybe take some activated charcoal to keep your stomach parasite free. Just so you are aware I think it's $25 entrance fee at airport and then save $15 or $150,000 rupiah to exit.

In Ubud I have several very reasonable bungalow hotels to recommend. Nick's Pension on Jalan Bisma is pretty cool, especially the bungalows down towards the river, and is around $45 per night. Even cheaper on a rice field off Jalan Bisma at $25 to $35 a night, and the rooms are large, modern, clean are Bali Moon and The Three Dewi's Guest House. Enjoyed staying at the Igna, off Monkey Forest Road down by a river, and that's around $45 per night for the large villa and less for the other rooms. For yoga, Ananda Cottages is pretty good and the property is lovely. Highly recommended not sure of the price nowadays though. Best, best, best place to eat is near there, Naughty Nuri's. Very hearty meat and BBQ dishes with large portion size. Also Bintang supermarket is nearby where you can get what you need to eat or prepare. I love to just hang out at Bintang and watch the comings and goings, it's fun. I've probably stayed in some twenty or so places in Ubud and have checked out most the others in the vicinity so if you have any questions on specific places I'll see what I remember. Oh, I have a very good guide who can get you great prices if you like his name is Budi and I've known him for eleven years, been to his village, know his family, and if anything happens he'll move heaven and earth for you. I'll send you his information if you like.

If interested outside of Ubud are Candidasa a village a bit north of Ubud on the coast. It is getting more popular. Has a 'secret beach' called White Sand beach or Virgin beach. They catch the fish right out of the ocean and it is not a crowded place. Magnificent. Great Snorkeling nearby or catch a speedboat to the Gili Islands. Can stay at Le 48 at Jalan Raya Candidasa. Next to it is a place called Ramashinta and both face out to a large lotus pond lagoon. Stunning bungalow properties and very reasonable.

Another village I stayed in and immensely enjoyed was Lovina with black sand beaches. It is in the north facing the Bali Sea and closer to Singarajah the old colonial capitol. You can check this area out on the internet but I stayed at the Nugraha Lovina Seaview. This is a place I would go back to and got up very early in the morning to go see the dolphins in the bay. They are the ones who jump out of the water and spin round. Astounding to see up close. Mountains are close and you can take a day trip up to Munduk a very fertile mountainous valley with a waterfall. I could go on and on but if you are curious or have specific questions just ask and I can send anyone links or ideas.

Oh, you may want to stay away from the streets of Kuta area especially at night. Gross. At sunset people do go to the beach off Kuta and sit on the chairs there and that is off Jalan 66. That and Seminyak nearby are the best for sunsets, very peaceful, calming and warm. For the kids professional surf lessons are fun and there are several along the beach there to choose from. Have fun planning your trip and I can get more specific about activities, eateries, temples and bungalows if you like.

pegasus said:
Was recently in Bali for three weeks and used to organize and chaperone student trips there. Have never had any vaccinations but did get Dengue Fever once several years ago but got over it in a day and a half. Maybe take some activated charcoal to keep your stomach parasite free.

<snip> I could go on and on but if you are curious or have specific questions just ask and I can send anyone links or ideas.

Oh, you may want to stay away from the streets of Kuta area especially at night. Gross. ... For the kids professional surf lessons are fun and there are several along the beach there to choose from. Have fun planning your trip and I can get more specific about activities, eateries, temples and bungalows if you like.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that information Pegasus, I really do appreciate it. Yeah, I've heard about Kuta, and happy to avoid it. I haven't pencilled any dates yet, and having this information is super handy. I'll be sure to post it here when I do and get you guys to steer me in the right direction. I used to love traveling so much (& still do) but I'm finding it harder with the craziness at the airports these days since 9-11.

Yep Arwenn, airports used to evoke in me a childlike sense of adventure. It was sort of like all those planes were my thoughts and they could fly off to all these exotic locales even to the stars. It felt inspiring and wondrous to be in an airport. Now, almost all of them give off a prison camp vibe. Ngurah Rai in Bali has unfortunately taken a dramatic Orwellian turn for the worse and felt to me as threatening and intimidating as JFK in New York or Miami International. Very un-Bali like but certainly indicative of a world getting more hysterical and of someone making large sums of money off an extensive and expensive airport expansion and needless extra security expenditures. Sad and infuriating.

I don't know if you have ever been to JFK but back before most of this security nonsense I really loved to go hang out in the TWA Terminal which was designed by Eero Saarinen. That building was alive, organic, optimistic and futuristic. The Jetsons would have been very at home there in it's curving expanse and 1950's style sunken living room with bright red cushions. Also, I would imagine, instead of planes out the large picture window, I would see rocket ships. No more rocket ships though. Now, the building is chained, padlocked and abandoned. Sigh. Well, at least the price was worth it. Right? We are all so much more free and safe.

No worries Arwenn,

Accommodation on Nusa Lembongan

Lembongan Reef is owned by a Japanese family whose daughter married a local, Kodul. He runs the show and employs all local kids. He also supports the up and coming surfers, helping them gain sponsorships to be recognised as surfing professionals.
http://www.lembonganreef.com

On Nusa Ceningans (the next island and a little more remote)

Jennys Place is our home away from home. Jenny is from Australia but has lived over there since the 70's having married a Balinese man. She has great local knowledge and will help you arrange snorkelling with locals. We much prefer it to the organised tourist options. She really supports the local community and is well respected on the island. http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g2313025-d3367421-Reviews-Jenny_s_Place-Jungutbatu_Nusa_Lembongan_Bali.html

We choose to travel to the island with Rocky Fast Cruise but there are a few options these days
http://www.rockyfastcruise.com

Happy to make more suggestions but this will give you a taste at least. FYI Nusa Ceningan is renowned for one of the best places in the World to snorkel with Manta Ray!

Thanks so much for that information fisheye. I like recommendations from seasoned travelers. The places you stayed at sound amazing! And family friendly to boot.

Thank you both for taking the time to post links and information, pegasus & fisheye. :)

Back
Top Bottom