Anyone else smell roses?

Dorothy Minder

Padawan Learner
For the last couple of months, I've smelled roses a few times per week... though there are no rose bushes or perfume counters anywhere around. I smelled roses just now actually, inside the house with no apparent source. Accompanying the scent has been a pleasant spiritual openness and calm. These episodes started about the same time that I began to experience time very differently -- like I remembered the future.

I've heard and read that the "holy spirit" smells like roses, and these episodes indeed feel holy and spiritual. However, as far as I know, they could well be hallucinations and/or STS manipulations, and I don't want to assume anything.

Anyone else smell roses? Any comments or ideas? I'm a bit confused.

Well certainly it's a sign of "Holy presence"!Fifteen years ago I did a transfer from station to hotel for a guide agency of a very famous women from Philippins here in Lourdes.We talked a bit during the journey in my car,atmosphere was really kind of peaceful.When I came back home my wife and a good friend noticed a light but heady smell of roses all around me and in the car too although I haven't smell while she was inside!During several days I was like "on a cloud"very aware and peaceful,so my body "asked" for a 5 days fast,went close to a monastery ruin and spend time praying,smell of roses was still here,I came back to town to ask her what she did to me,she was gone...
I have forgotten this event until your post,Thank you :)

Are you doing EE? Because I've experienced,specially during or after BaHa,strong smells of many substances,but not really pleasant as old leather,caramel and various chemicals odours,which I think it's related to detox process.
Anyway I would take it for a very good sign ;)

Hi DM,

If this is a recurring phenomenon, maybe it would be interesting to investigate it further. It's probably nothing (or even, as c.a. said, a 4D bleedthrough), but here is an interesting article I found on the subject:

Why Do I Smell Phantom Flowers?
X
Allison Boyer
Allison Boyer has been a freelance writer since 2005. She has experience writing with ABContent about weddings, careers, relationships, going green, business, travel, football and video games. She currently works with BlogWorld Expo, helping bloggers and businesses learn about new media. Boyer holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from Elizabethtown College.
By Allison Boyer, eHow Contributor

updated: October 27, 2010

If there are no live or dried flowers like these near you but you smell them, it could indicate medical problems. Yagi Studio/Photodisc/Getty Images

Certain flowers, like roses, have beautiful scents, but if you continuously smell flowers when there are none in the vicinity, it could be the sign of a more serious problem. Phantom flower smells can be explained in a number of ways, but always consult a doctor if you have unexplained symptoms to ensure that they aren't a sign of a more serious medical condition.
Phantosmia

If you smell items that aren't there, you could be experiencing olfactory hallucinations, called phantosmia. According to the Mayo Clinic, the most common causes of phantosmia are upper respiratory infections and head injuries. However, phantosmia also be caused by brain tumors, Parkinson's disease, sinus problems, strokes and migraine.
Parosmia

Parosmia is a medical condition in which something in your environment does have a scent, but that scent is warped. So, something that normally does not smell like flowers could take on that sweet smell. According to the Mayo Clinic, parosmia occurs when there is olfactory system damage, which could happen in the case of respiratory disease. Often, this medical condition leads to loss of your sense of smell, especially if not treated quickly.
Hyperosmia

Occasionally, phantom smells can be attributed to hyperosmia, which is a condition marked by an increased sensitivity to smell. If flowers are located in the vicinity or were previously found in the vicinity, someone with hyperosmia may be able to smell them even though others cannot. Hyperosmia can be temporary, such as being caused by drug use or pregnancy. It can also be psychosomatic and is associated with personality disorders.
Paranormal Smells

Although not scientifically proven, some people believe that phantom flower smells may be caused by ghosts, spirits or deities. This is especially common if there is an association between the flower smell and a deceased loved one.

References

* Mayo Clinic: What Causes Olfactory Hallucinations (Phantosmia)?
* The Merck Manuals: Smell and Taste Disorders
* Spiritual Science Research Foundation: Experience Versus a Spiritual Experience and How We Perceive It

Read more: Why Do I Smell Phantom Flowers? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7401285_do-smell-phantom-flowers_.html#ixzz1MbNBZrNS

Now I'm not saying you have any of these things, just that it might be worth looking into it.

Dorothy Minder said:
For the last couple of months, I've smelled roses a few times per week... though there are no rose bushes or perfume counters anywhere around. I smelled roses just now actually, inside the house with no apparent source. Accompanying the scent has been a pleasant spiritual openness and calm. These episodes started about the same time that I began to experience time very differently -- like I remembered the future.

I've heard and read that the "holy spirit" smells like roses, and these episodes indeed feel holy and spiritual. However, as far as I know, they could well be hallucinations and/or STS manipulations, and I don't want to assume anything.

Hi Dorothy,

About 15 years ago, shortly after my father passed away, I was doing dishes in the middle of winter and suddenly smelled 'lilacs'. It was a surprising occurrance and probably lasted for at least a minute - then went away. Two weeks later, it happened again, but this time my family and I were eating lunch and I asked if anyone else could smell the scent (without mentioning what it was), and my now ex said "Lilacs". My two children didn't smell anything out of the ordinary. Later on, my ex told me that he had been smelling 'lilacs' at his place of work.

No my dad loved to garden and he especially loved lilacs. I have, since this olfactory experience, always thought of my dad whenever I smell the scent of lilacs. I actually thought that it was my dad trying to just let me/his family know that he was ok and not to worry about him any longer. I did take that experience as a positive sign.

The only other time I smelled 'lilacs' was about 5 years later when driving with my daughter. She was upset after discussing whether or not there was an 'afterlife' with some of her friends. As we were talking, suddenly there was the smell of 'lilacs' in the car. We both took that to mean - yup, no further discussion was needed as my dad had spoken.

Now that you mention, sometimes I smell jasmines. And coffee, but that may be due to caffeine withdrawal :P

Dorothy Minder said:
I'm wondering as well if you are doing ee? The reason I ask is that there are some that have experienced seeing different types of lights. Perhaps this could be another type of sensory experience related to that?

Whatever is causing it, you are correct in being cautious with regard to assuming anything as you seem to be aware that this can lead to the trap of feeling 'special'. Very interesting indeed however. :)

I thought the holy spirit smelled like bacon? ;D

After my grandfather passed, I smelled his cologne off and on for quite a while. I've also smelled flowers at different times when there are no flowers around, and cigarette smoke at times when there is no smoker around. I don't know why, but I suspect our sense of smell is much like our other senses and is capable of picking up on things that may not be 'in the here and now', at least not as it is generally accepted. If it happens a lot, though, it could be a neurological disorder of some sort, so keeping an eye on it might be wise.

Thought I was the only one to experience smells from "non-existent" sources. My grandparents bought an old masonary building built in the 1760's during the slave era. One of my Aunts died when I was 2 years old, however, her scent and personality I remember like it was yesterday. During the family reception after the funeral, one of my cousins and I were playing and she (my Auntie) glided past my cousin & I. Running to the adults, we told them to come see Auntie, she has no feet. That did not go over well. But I smelled her essence just as if she was holding me in her arms like she loved to do.

Ever since then, especially while in that house there were always smells of another time. Sometimes in the middle of the night when no one is traveling I have smelled very old perfume or sweat and have seen apparitions. As long as my grandmother lived in that house she'd say, "I know there are spirits in this house, I leave them alone and they do the same."

The downstairs of her house was where the slaves lived and is where I resided for about 5 years and most of the fragrances were of another time. Seeing my Auntie after she passed probably helped me understand death was nothing to fear.

Funny enough I woke up early this morning and took a walk, and smelled a rose along the way. :) This was one of the first thread I noticed when I came back from the walk, and it tickled me a little.

anart said:

Thanks for that. :) Maybe through the densities it fades into flower scent.

Anyway, some time ago I also had the feeling smelling something different, where I wondered where this smell is coming from (it was also flower scent like).

If it happens a lot, though, it could be a neurological disorder of some sort, so keeping an eye on it might be wise.

So, if i see a lot of UFOs out there, does this mean i have this neurological disorder? :scared:

Is there a doctor in the room? please? :P

We will be wise and keep an eye on this brain. :)

Bricktal said:
If it happens a lot, though, it could be a neurological disorder of some sort, so keeping an eye on it might be wise.

So, if i see a lot of UFOs out there, does this mean i have this neurological disorder? :scared:

Is there a doctor in the room? please? :P

We will be wise and keep an eye on this brain. :)

Hi Bricktal,

I think in some cases it could be a neurological disorder. Reoccurring hallucinations could mean the onset of schizophrenia. In any case, it's probably not something to regard as a laughing matter, osit.

Though it could be something neurological and worth paying attention to, there are numerous accounts of the divine having the attributes of roses.

I've experienced that state before but it is rare for me.

Shirley MacLaine in her book The Camino describes her experience traveling the Santiago de Compostela - a pilgrimmage trek throughout 500 miles of Spain, along Ley Lines of the Earth.

During her recant she describes states of "divine consciousness" and "spiritually heightened awareness" and being surrounded by the scent of roses.

Along with the sense of smell she has interactions with angels or aspects of her consciousness, and remembers lifetimes during Atlantis and Lemuria.

FWIW

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I'll say that, generally, the onset of these episodes has been very much connected to what seems like a phase change in awareness. At the same time, I also recognize that I am still subject both to STS manipulations and to potential physiological/neurological quirks or disorders. I have been taking much better care of myself, but that still doesn't rule out a physical or neurological cause.

To answer Truth Seeker and Don Diego, I have indeed been doing EE regularly for a few months now.

c.a. said:
Perhaps your awareness of 4D Bleed Through maybe?

Could be, C.A. As I said, there is no obvious physical source.

Don Diego said:
Well certainly it's a sign of "Holy presence"!Fifteen years ago I did a transfer from station to hotel for a guide agency of a very famous women from Philippins here in Lourdes.We talked a bit during the journey in my car,atmosphere was really kind of peaceful.When I came back home my wife and a good friend noticed a light but heady smell of roses all around me and in the car too although I haven't smell while she was inside!During several days I was like "on a cloud"very aware and peaceful,so my body "asked" for a 5 days fast,went close to a monastery ruin and spend time praying,smell of roses was still here,I came back to town to ask her what she did to me,she was gone...
I have forgotten this event until your post,Thank you :)

Are you doing EE? Because I've experienced,specially during or after BaHa,strong smells of many substances,but not really pleasant as old leather,caramel and various chemicals odours,which I think it's related to detox process.
Anyway I would take it for a very good sign ;)

Interesting experience. I'm a little unclear from your post if you smelled the roses yourself or if it was only your wife and friend that smelled them around you. Either way, you're welcome and thank you for sharing.

Mrs. Tigersoap, Thank you for the snip. I indeed will keep an eye on this and will do some more research and stay open to various possibilities.

Echo Blue said:
Hi Dorothy,

About 15 years ago, shortly after my father passed away, I was doing dishes in the middle of winter and suddenly smelled 'lilacs'. It was a surprising occurrance and probably lasted for at least a minute - then went away. Two weeks later, it happened again, but this time my family and I were eating lunch and I asked if anyone else could smell the scent (without mentioning what it was), and my now ex said "Lilacs". My two children didn't smell anything out of the ordinary. Later on, my ex told me that he had been smelling 'lilacs' at his place of work.

No my dad loved to garden and he especially loved lilacs. I have, since this olfactory experience, always thought of my dad whenever I smell the scent of lilacs. I actually thought that it was my dad trying to just let me/his family know that he was ok and not to worry about him any longer. I did take that experience as a positive sign.

The only other time I smelled 'lilacs' was about 5 years later when driving with my daughter. She was upset after discussing whether or not there was an 'afterlife' with some of her friends. As we were talking, suddenly there was the smell of 'lilacs' in the car. We both took that to mean - yup, no further discussion was needed as my dad had spoken.

The smell of lilacs must have been quite comforting, given the circumstances. I've read about similar occurrences where someone smells a scent associated with a recently passed loved one. I'm sure many skeptics would just chalk it up to the way grief triggers various memories and generally plays havoc with the brain. However, multiple people smelling lilacs, and your experience with your daughter in the car seem to add weight to the idea that it could indeed be a "message" from your father.

skycsil said:
Now that you mention, sometimes I smell jasmines. And coffee, but that may be due to caffeine withdrawal :P

:)

truth seeker said:
Whatever is causing it, you are correct in being cautious with regard to assuming anything as you seem to be aware that this can lead to the trap of feeling 'special'. Very interesting indeed however. :)

Yes, I've fallen deep into that trap before, and it was quite painful extricating myself. My personality would like to be special all the time, so I intend to keep a close watch.

anart said:

After my grandfather passed, I smelled his cologne off and on for quite a while. I've also smelled flowers at different times when there are no flowers around, and cigarette smoke at times when there is no smoker around. I don't know why, but I suspect our sense of smell is much like our other senses and is capable of picking up on things that may not be 'in the here and now', at least not as it is generally accepted. If it happens a lot, though, it could be a neurological disorder of some sort, so keeping an eye on it might be wise.

:lol:

Makes sense to me. Thanks, Anart.

1peacelover said:
Thought I was the only one to experience smells from "non-existent" sources. My grandparents bought an old masonary building built in the 1760's during the slave era. One of my Aunts died when I was 2 years old, however, her scent and personality I remember like it was yesterday. During the family reception after the funeral, one of my cousins and I were playing and she (my Auntie) glided past my cousin & I. Running to the adults, we told them to come see Auntie, she has no feet. That did not go over well. But I smelled her essence just as if she was holding me in her arms like she loved to do.

Ever since then, especially while in that house there were always smells of another time. Sometimes in the middle of the night when no one is traveling I have smelled very old perfume or sweat and have seen apparitions. As long as my grandmother lived in that house she'd say, "I know there are spirits in this house, I leave them alone and they do the same."

The downstairs of her house was where the slaves lived and is where I resided for about 5 years and most of the fragrances were of another time. Seeing my Auntie after she passed probably helped me understand death was nothing to fear.

Looks like you aren't the only one by a long stretch! And that sounds like quite an experience with your aunt. People generally seem to accept the idea, consciously or unconsciously, that there is more to old houses and buildings than meets the eye (or nose). As far as I'm concerned, there is probably something to that notion -- though it may not be exactly what people think.

Shane said:
Funny enough I woke up early this morning and took a walk, and smelled a rose along the way. :) This was one of the first thread I noticed when I came back from the walk, and it tickled me a little.

A fun synchronicity :) Did you see the rose that you smelled?

Briktal and RyanX, I see where both of you are coming from. It seems like many people whose minds open to possibilities (or an expanded reality) frequently experience a variety of qualitatively new and different phenomena that modern science and medicine, being mostly closed to those possibilities, are quick to dismiss. Even so, science and medicine have evolved some useful categories for people, like schizophrenics, who seem to get lost in those phenomena. And getting lost is a very real danger. In fact, that very tension is what prompted me to post here rather than pat myself on the back or run to the doctor in fear.

Herakles said:
Though it could be something neurological and worth paying attention to, there are numerous accounts of the divine having the attributes of roses.

I've experienced that state before but it is rare for me.

Shirley MacLaine in her book The Camino describes her experience traveling the Santiago de Compostela - a pilgrimmage trek throughout 500 miles of Spain, along Ley Lines of the Earth.

During her recant she describes states of "divine consciousness" and "spiritually heightened awareness" and being surrounded by the scent of roses.

Along with the sense of smell she has interactions with angels or aspects of her consciousness, and remembers lifetimes during Atlantis and Lemuria.

FWIW

Yet another sniffer of the phantom rose! So far that is 2 (or 3, depending on Shane) more posters who have smelled phantom roses specifically, and 6 (or 7, again depending on Shane) more who have smelled phantom flowers.

Thanks for the reference, Herakles.

In ending this post, I'll say that 1) I appreciate the several posters who have recommended paying close attention to this. I'll keep an eye out for (further?) signs of wonkiness in my brain. 2) Even if smelling the rose is a positive sign, I imagine that just like the feeling of "confirmation", or like apparent synchronicity, it can be manipulated.

Protection, as always, seems to come from self-remembering and an inclusive, questioning awareness -- as well as research and networking.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom