Knitting for the joy

amd57432

The Force is Strong With This One
Greetings,

I was hoping that we could get a conversation going here about knitting. I knit a lot. It relaxes me and gives me something to do with my hands while watching TV or when just decompressing from a day that has been a day.

Are there other knitters here? What types of yarn do you prefer? Needles? Types of projects? :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

I am hoping that we can have a nice conversation here.

I like to make hats using the knifty knitter. I have also made scarves and other items with it. I find it very relaxing and therapeutic. My favorite type of yarn is red heart. I have just done some basic types of projects with different color patterns and stitches. I haven't learned how to use knitting needles yet. :knitting:

Thank you Masamune, for responding. Do you want to learn to use knitting needles? Have you tried any other yarns?

amd57432 said:
Thank you Masamune, for responding. Do you want to learn to use knitting needles? Have you tried any other yarns?

I would be interested in trying it to see if I like it. I have tried most of the other types of yarns at the craft stores but for my projects I prefer the thickness and texture of the red heart brand. What type do you like and what projects do you do?

I prefer wool or cotton, mostly wool. I usually use the worsted weight but have tried fingering and bulky as well. A lot depends on the project and how well my hands are behaving. The brands are Knitpicks, Elann, Portsmouth Galloway with some Lion Brand Wool-ease occasionally. The cottons I have used are Sugar and Cream, Knitpicks, and Wolle's Color Changing Cotton.

I have done scarves, shawettes, shawls, fingerless gloves, and bags. I have also knitted a pouch for my roommate's Net-book and a few other items she carries around. I started socks but had to put them on hold because I can't use that small a needle right now.

When I was a teeneger used to knit a lot under the guidance of my grandmother. Nowdays I almost forgot how to do it, but I agree with you that it is
very relaxing and useful.

Thanks for remind me.

I'll bet that you have some wonderful memories of time spent knitting with your grandmother. You are welcome for the reminder.

Do you think you will be picking up the needles again?

I took a knitting class this past winter. I made a washcloth, scarf, hat and fingerless gloves. Red heart yarn is my favorite. I also crochet. Right now I am crocheting an afghan using cotton yarn.

amd57432 said:
I have also knitted a pouch for my roommate's Net-book and a few other items she carries around.

My netbook, 2 external USB drives, Ipod, reading glasses, e-cig, and tobacco all have knitted pouches...and I REALLY love them. Not just 'cause they're functional, but because even when I'm away from home, I have a little piece of home in my pocket :)

For the most part, knitting the pouches was easy. Even with multiple trips to the frog pond.

anya said:
I took a knitting class this past winter. I made a washcloth, scarf, hat and fingerless gloves. Red heart yarn is my favorite. I also crochet. Right now I am crocheting an afghan using cotton yarn.

I used to crochet but I can't do it anymore. Are you checking out any patterns for your next project?

Knitting is an activity I look just from afar :lol: I was not good from the beginning (my mother tough me, just the basics, among sewing and such) but two years ago I had found the knitting loom and had already made scarfs for presents and for myself, I found it easier and quicker :). I had not done anything lately though.

edit: spell check

Hi amd57432!
I haven't given my next project much thought. A vest would be a fun project. There is a yard shop down the street. I may have to stop in and see if I can find a class. Most of my projects have seen very simple- like scarfs, afghans, hats.

Knitting, crocheting and sewing are lost arts and extremely useful skills to have IMHO. I used to knit and crochet when I was a child but these days I stick to sewing and do as much as I can by hand. I find it soooooo relaxing and really makes me happy.

Back
Top Bottom