heading to the mountains

whitecoast

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I'm heading out with a friend tomorrow to a forest monk theravada monastery near Kamloops for a week! We'll be spending our time in the forested mountains with the monks who live there, meditating with them and doing some cooking and chores for them in exchange for room and board. :) This will be my second time going, but I was in such a crystallized head space last time when I returned from my first trip in terms of mindfulness and free will that I'm really looking forward to getting away from work, traffic, incessant computer use, and the like this next time. Plus I'll be doing EE with my group there as well. :D Let's hope I can carry the good habits I develop back home with me, hehe. :halo:

This is my first full day back from the trip. I had a wonderful time up there. We were up at 5:15 in the morning to meditate, and breakfast and lunch were the only 2 meals of the day, but it worked out much nicer than it sounds. It was hard to stay as paleo as possible up there, as the monastery is run entirely by donations and so we just had to eat what was made available by the kitchen volunteers, but they had nuts and ghee and flax out each morning so I got something hearty every day, even though they could have had some more meat and less fruit and cereal for breakfast.

During tea time the retreat visitors got were able to ask questions of the Ajahn there (it means teacher in Pali I think), and he would offer philosophy on loving-kindness, equanimity, compassion, the four noble truths and the eightfold path. We also got into a lot of cosmology about reincarnation, the different realms of beings, as well as some historical stuff related to distinctions between the Theravadan school and Mahayana school Buddhism (the monastery was a Theravadan one).

In addition to our regular practice, we also got to do some guided meditations and breathing techniques on our own in our rooms and such with some new friends we made. I taught some of the Eiriu Eolas techniques to a friend of mine who couldn't make it to the Vancouver EE event with, and some others joined in too for the guided audio pipe-breathing and bioenergetic breathing exercises. I think it stuck; some of them asked me to send them a link to the video of the program, which I said was online. :cool:

I learned a lot about Buddhism, and also a lot about what it is not, if that makes any sense. Or rather I learned about some of the differences in doctrine and etc that kind of turned me off from it. I mean sure I like the amount of meditation techniques and such, but fwiw I've already kind of mapped my interior out independently of those standards, being more oriented to fourth way, the teachings of some shamans, and some of my own independent discoveries and experimentation I managed to corroborate with those mentioned earlier.

Another things is, I just don't get the Buddhist emphases on doing good deeds in exchange for dama (or merrit) to relieve karma issues. It just smacks of internal considering, not at all like the ideals of Christ Consciousness in giving that we as westerners are so often engrained with. What's funny is that I also find that same type of Christian approach to giving in the Taoist books I read at the monastery, which is interesting considered how often Taoism and Buddhism are conflated in China, and yet in the Buddhist tradition that type of giving is quite absent. Maybe some erudite Buddhist philosopher could point out that deep down there there is something like that, but that's not going to validate and justify the complicity of the monastics in spreading that type of misunderstanding. I'm almost tempted to dismiss the emphases on dama for "brownie points" as a folk corruption, similar to those Asian peasants who whisper "Arahant" (one who has achieved nirvana) into the ears of those dying, or those who pray to Jesus for forgiveness on their death bed after a life of sin so they get into heaven, in hopes of somehow circumventing, you know, the whole system of morality. Maybe this belongs in the "religion" subforum though.

My friends and I often talked about this on our own in our rooms, which was a refreshing break from being immersed in the strictly Buddhist ways of approaching a topic. It helped us gain some perspective, outside of the informational homogeneity. Aside from that, we had loads of long walks in the mountains, where the weather could change from showers to sunlight in 20 minutes or less! Also, wild strawberries were EVERYWHERE. And so were the mosquitoes, and free range cows.

Sounds like your going to have a rewarding time and the mountains..or any wild area are great stress busters and great places to open and awaken many things,have a great time whitecoast. :)

Fascinating! I had no idea there was a monastery so close to home. Fellow west coaster myself, which one did you go to? I might check them out.

Also, did you find the monastery to be particularly dogmatic? Your definition makes them appear rather rigid in their practices and environment.

whitecoast said:
In addition to our regular practice, we also got to do some guided meditations and breathing techniques on our own in our rooms and such with some new friends we made. I taught some of the Eiriu Eolas techniques to a friend of mine who couldn't make it to the Vancouver EE event with, and some others joined in too for the guided audio pipe-breathing and bioenergetic breathing exercises. I think it stuck; some of them asked me to send them a link to the video of the program, which I said was online. :cool:

Whitecoast, it sounds like you need another reminder? http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26066.msg310927.html#msg310927

If you want to give other people the DVD, that's fine, but please refrain from attempting to teach others the techniques if you have not received certification to do so.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed that even though this post appeared as "new" in my feed, it's a year old! Apologies for the noise.

Approaching Infinity said:
Whitecoast, it sounds like you need another reminder? http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26066.msg310927.html#msg310927

Not so. The original reminder you linked to was made on December the 9th, 2011.

This post was initially made on July 13th, 2011.

While I have no desire to stir the pot, please do not chastise him for an issue that is (presumably) well in the past and no longer relevant.

And please check post dates too next time. I'm positive nobody desires needless disagreement over misunderstandings of a dated post. I certainly wouldn't.

Wu Wei Wu said:
Approaching Infinity said:

Not so. The original reminder you linked to was made on December the 9th, 2011.

This post was initially made on July 13th, 2011.

While I have no desire to stir the pot, please do not chastise him for an issue that is (presumably) well in the past and no longer relevant.

And please check post dates too next time. I'm positive nobody desires needless disagreement over misunderstandings of a dated post. I certainly wouldn't.

Wu, if anyone is chastising, it is you in this post. There is no reason to get snippy, so please keep that in mind.

Not the intention, my apologies Infinity on Today. I hope you did not take any offense, none was intended.

That's funny timing for that odd forum bump, ApproachingInfinity, considering I'm actually going up again to the same Monastery again in a few days. :lol:

Wu Wei Wu said:
Fascinating! I had no idea there was a monastery so close to home. Fellow west coaster myself, which one did you go to? I might check them out.

Also, did you find the monastery to be particularly dogmatic? Your definition makes them appear rather rigid in their practices and environment.

It's called Sitavana, but it's in the interior. There's a few of other monasteries closer to Vancouver too, some large and some small.

I never "tested their mettle" as far as dogmatism is concerned, since it didn't feel externally considerate to the functions we were performing ("please observe right speech, noble silence, etc.") But I did get the impression from the Ajahn that he was required to stick to the Theravada Buddhist canon like glue. He was its highest representative at the Monastery, and so was responsible for representing it as accurately as possible. I can appreciate that. I mean, as long as he does agree with all the precepts and whatnot, since it's a little soul-destroying to defend something you don't believe in yourself.

I've heard of a few down here, as well as a few buddhist gathering groups in private homes, but I haven't gone to visit them yet.

I mean, as long as he does agree with all the precepts and whatnot, since it's a little soul-destroying to defend something you don't believe in yourself.

Hehe, I suppose so. As the representative he would be expected to act a certain way. Didn't think that through. Sitavana you said eh? I'll be certain to check it out next time I go up to Kamloops, though I see their site encourages calls ahead rather than drop ins.

Thank you for the information.

Back
Top Bottom