What's the weather where you are?

Sydney has experienced a storm similar to a category II cyclone. This one was a big one for Sydney, and even the railway lines and commuter tunnels were flooded.
As above, so below - in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the Southern Hemisphere. Hmmm.
Even where I am it was quite blustery and we had an inch of rain. The farmers will be happy about that! Great follow-up rains for the growing season.

Wild weather in NSW for sure- it snowed at Barrinton Tops and along the coast we had gale force winds.

Snow on the Barrington Tops in October

UNUSUAL October weather has seen snow fall on the Barrington Tops overnight.

The National Parks and Wildlife Service confirmed this morning (Wednesday) that snow had settled on the Tops, though there had been no confirmation how much or how widespread the snow was.

Ranger Peter Beard said the camera on Mt Barrington, in the south-western part of the plateau, confirmed there had been snow dumped on ranges.

"At this stage we have no idea how widespread or how much," he said.

"Going on the weather at the moment I predict it's going to be fairly horrible up there. There's likely to be high winds, trees down and conditions are not going to be very pleasant."

Brad Lawman posted a picture on the Barrington Tops Snow Chasers page early this morning of light snow falling down as far as the Dingo Gates on the western side of the range.

Mr Beard said all roads to the Barrington Tops remained open but motorists needed to exercise extreme caution and drive to the prevailing conditions.
_http://www.dungogchronicle.com.au/story/2625894/snow-on-the-barrington-tops-in-october/?cs=410

bt2808012.jpg

Blizzards, rain, stormy wind and thick fog all over South-West Siberia since yesterday: airports closed, 2-hour and longer traffic jams, 70 car accidents yesterday in my city only..

It's curious that yesterday Russia celebrated an ancient religious holiday: Pokrov. In English it may sound like the Cover of Saint Mary. Elderly people say that this day shows what the weather will be like all through the upcoming winter: if it snows on Pokrov Day, the winter will be snowy, if it's cold - the winter will be cold, etc.

And then - here is an interesting article on Washington Post: Fall snow bonanza in North America and Siberia may portend brutal winter.

Source: _http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/10/weekend_to_be_historically_hot_1.php

Weekend to be 'historically hot'

Friday 17 October 2014

Saturday and Sunday will be warm with temperatures in the south east of the country reaching 23 to 24 degrees, according to RTL Nieuws.

Saturday may see the highest temperatures for October 18 since measuring began in 1901, RTL writes. In 1921 De Bilt registered 22.9 degrees and 19.7 in 1997.

Temperatures will drop to a more seasonal 13 degrees after the weekend.

© DutchNews.nl

The record for today has been broken: 23° C in De Bilt (official registering point).

Source (Dutch only -- no English one available yet): _http://nos.nl/artikel/711330-warmste-18-oktober-ooit-gemeten.html

It's the same in NE France. It is not an indian summer. This week-end was like a good summer, even warmer than a lot of summer days we lived. I fear the boomerang effect !

Maat said:
It's the same in NE France. It is not an indian summer. This week-end was like a good summer, even warmer than a lot of summer days we lived. I fear the boomerang effect !

The same weather was here in Southern Bavaria last weekend. You could sit with a T-shirt for hours and enjoy the sun without getting cold. The night to Tuesday there fell a lot of rain here. The last night there was a storm ("Gonzalo"), which brought rain and broken trees.

Trains could not drive and streets were not useable because of it. In Tyrol there was a black-out because of Gonzalo. In the mountains there was snow.

So summer is going and winter is coming. Let's see what else is coming...

So that huge low system turned out to be a dud (phew?) - it did seem like a very strange, wide vortex; but we didn't feel it.

Ex-hurricane turned tropical storm Gonzalo apparently reached 100mph up on the Scottish west coast, parts of Ireland were without electricity for the day and on the north west coast we had winds (30 - 50/60mph) which began Monday night and continued for about 24hours. By comparison to the rest of the world, our storms don't seem to cause as much damage
From twitter:
B0dmrldIgAA0cyZ.jpg

but actually i read 3 people died in this one, and there's been posting of trees upturned etc. .. It also brought the temp down to 5-6C easily, and my mum just had some triple glazed windows fitted (replacing the 30+year old ones) and it still managed to pull the heat from the house. It just made me think of the ice tornados! The sky was kinda crazy during the day, moments of strangely clear skies, followed by dark clouds. And today - Wednesday - it's white cloud covered skies and a mild breeze. Chilly though - about 11C.

Edit: clarity

We were hit by Gonzalo's residue last night (Zagreb, Croatia) strong wind gusts have taken down some trees, lots of rain, snow fell over 700m, but most remarkable was temperature drop. It was 20C just few hours before cold front arrival and this morning when I woke up it was just 5 degrees Celsius.

Regulattor said:
We were hit by Gonzalo's residue last night (Zagreb, Croatia) strong wind gusts have taken down some trees, lots of rain, snow fell over 700m, but most remarkable was temperature drop. It was 20C just few hours before cold front arrival and this morning when I woke up it was just 5 degrees Celsius.

The situation was similar in Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina). Were not as strong winds, but it was cooler.

Antalya's Manavgat district , 335 square meters per kilogram broke the record rainfall of the last 21 years (Turkey)

http://www.showhaber.com/show-haber-manavgata-rekor-yagis-dustu-28895v.htm

http://ohaber.com/videogaleri/manavgat-i-sel-aldi-v-62893

http://www.kure.tv/izle/haber-video-manavgat-ta-sel

I heard from someone that Gonzalo caused enough damage in his garden that he had to work for hours to clean the mess. Also electrical lines of local public transport was interrupted by fallen trees. Gonzalo caused damages in Ireland (blackout), GB (3 died), Germany, Austria (blackout), Switzerland, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina. In Croatia it still had enough power to take down trees - after it crossed half the continent and the Alps. Quite remarkable IMO.

Here Gonzalo caused the temperatures to drop 10 to 15 oC. Yesterday morning there was the first morning frost. I got icy fingers from picking up frozen fallen leafs. :cool2:

Same thing here in the North of Italy,last week it was pretty warm and sunny for almost a week, in fact it seemed a little bit odd(i didn't expect such a mild weather for this time of the year) taking in consideration that almost the whole summer we had a pretty cold and wet weather,but 4 days ago the temperatures dropped drastically,in some parts on the northern Italy it was forcast-ed winds that will reach at least 80 km/h,snow at 1500 m,now the temperatures during the day are reaching 13-14 C° during the night 6-7 C°(maybe even lower).

The weather here (mid-north coast NSW) has been quite warm for spring temps around 34 degrees C, and gusty winds a few days ago. And it's not even summer yet :/

Central Arkansas, USA

Yesterday was bright and hot @ 87F ! UV index was 10.

The overnight air created a great foggy mist in the early morning, in fact I heard the AC come on @ 2:00AM and I got up to turn it off and open the windows.

Today projected for 83F.

It is very unusual to have these temps , at this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom