What's the weather where you are?

Our frosts have finally arrived: it's been around -30C for two days already and the forecast says that the cold pattern will now rest here for a week or two. Unlike the previous abnormally warm period, these frosts are pretty normal for us here, so hopefully we will now continue along the ordinary course of season. :)

Nancy2feathers said:
Hudson Valley, NY: By Tuesday morning… Bombogenesis. The Hudson Valley continues to be plastered by heavy snow and wind. Travel anywhere from Atlantic City NJ to southern Maine will be impossible. Snowfall rates of 2 to 4 inches per hour will be common. Blizzard Conditions across New England will drift the snow over 5 to 7 feet… yes, feet.

We`re getting into preparation mode! Generator-check, Gasoline-check, oil lamps-check, canned goods-check, water containers-check, wood close by-check! :cool2:

It appears it will be very serious for some. To all in its path, take very good care of yourselves. :hug:

Snowing pretty heavy here in NYC. I don't think we'll get the worst of it though. Still, it's very cold and the wind is blowing fiercely. I've been thinking about those without homes. Collected a few warm sleeping bags and about twenty hefty garbage bags of warm coats, blankets, socks and assorted clothes for a rescue shelter in the city. Ran the last couple of bags into the city this morning before the weather starting worsening. There are some very dedicated and kind people working in those shelters.

We have a couple of the homeless out by us. Made sure they had warm clothing. Talked to one man in front of our local convenience food store and I could feel how stressed out he was when we shook hands. He did have a place to stay so that, at least, was a blessing. Tough conditions for them and it makes me very thankful for having a roof over my head and a warm bed. Good night everyone, sleep well.

I'm just reporting in, in case the internet fails for a while.

There's a lot of fierce, icy winds and snow making itself known out here in the East Coast Maritime region.

My building is heated with electricity, and we've got a shaky grid at best; people are wisely preparing for it to go down.

Luckily, I've been doing the low carb diet for a few years now, and I've not turned the heat on yet this Winter. I'm just wearing lots of sweaters and thick socks; my circulation has improved mightily and I've become friends with the cold and now actually quite enjoy it. (It makes for a clear head and good sleep, I find.), but I certainly wouldn't want to be caught outside today. Folks around my parts are hunkering down for sure!

I'm just making up some hot food on the stove right now in case it's the last to be had for a while before having to crack into those pressure cooker jars.

I'm thinking now, "Hm. Maybe should have snagged those yard sale snow shoes I saw last year..."

Anyway, I extend my best hopes for everybody else out there in Winterland. Play it smart, stay safe and maybe when things settle down a bit, do a walking tour to make sure nobody needs a helping hand.

:)

I wish there was something FOTCM could do for the homeless in a more concrete way. Well, maybe once we get more organized, more members, and some things settled and stabilized, we can do something...

Thank you Pegasus for your update. Its good to hear and an inspiration.

I'm in the SW Rockies of Colorado. Once again we are having an unusually mild winter. Yesterday it was like springtime at 67 degrees. This has been the pattern for a good 5 years now. I must say, in many ways I appreciate this but it adds to drought conditions in the summer time which has been an issue with fires.

A good day to all!

Laura said:
I wish there was something FOTCM could do for the homeless in a more concrete way. Well, maybe once we get more organized, more members, and some things settled and stabilized, we can do something...
What do you think about how to incorporate in the larger cities (or towns who are interested in it) branch in which to work, volunteers, gathering to food that does not spoil quickly, warm clothes and shoes, and the one who can and wants to offer and accommodation?
In Croatia there are a lot of old population to be too expensive homes for the elderly, those living alone and find it difficult to perform the most basic necessities in the store, pharmacy and the like. I was so worried about anorexic wife by his family left about an elderly person, I was making it, chopping wood and everything she asked me. She lived alone in a large apartment and offered me to move in with her, but I had to refuse because I live with my daughter ... I believe that the homeless can aid in a way that they can get a job, if only temporary, and that they are removed out of town, to come to the village because the food is cheaper and easier to find housing.
The house on two floors in the village in Slavonia (northern part of the Croatian) costs 6-8000 euros, the same kind in the city of 150 000 euros.

Laura said:

Here's what I did for a start. First, I cleaned out my closet and there was an embarrassment of riches there of sweaters and warm winter jackets that I don't even wear. Next, I'm very good at thrift stores and the last few weeks found when there were sales of 50% and 75% off and for $250.00 I bought some fifty very warm winter coats that had never been worn paying $3.00 to $4.00 for each one. For the ladies most had faux fur cuffs and collars and were lined and were either suede or leather and I selected various job interview or everyday wear outfits. All stylish and all high quality. I was thinking about that Alfred Hitchcock documentary on the Holocaust and how clothes symbolize renewal of hope. In retail one of those jackets would have easily have been $100.00 or more all by itself. For the men I got some terrific warm coats but also pants, shoes and lots of sweaters, warm pullovers and a backpack. The best, a couple of sleeping bags for around $4.50 each. I need to think about the children too though as I know there are families in those shelters. I'll find a way, gather donations and I'll learn more too.

Thankfully the brunt of the storm missed us here in the city but twenty miles from here they are snowed under so it's best to be prepared.

Laura said:

Here is a link to some really good info
(This is an Australian initiative, no reason why it couldn't be duplicated in other countries):
_http://swags.org.au/

The swags are given out free of charge to the homeless;
The organization relies on charity to raise the money to provide them.

North-West England - was fine and dry yesterday, today has drastically changed to gale force winds (29mph) and rain :/

Laura said:

Indeed. In most cities I've been to there are some networks set up to help homeless, ranging from full blown charities to ad hoc groups of local people, but it is not enough. Today we are giving away food/tea and clothes from a stall, but the numbers of homeless seem to be increasing and it is not enough.

MusicMan said:
Laura said:

Here is a link to some really good info
(This is an Australian initiative, no reason why it couldn't be duplicated in other countries):
_http://swags.org.au/

The swags are given out free of charge to the homeless;
The organization relies on charity to raise the money to provide them.

Thanks for the link MusicMan. This looks like a very worthy cause to return some of that which I have received.

That the charity relies totally on donations from the public, with zero government assistance, comes as no surprise.

As for the weather here (rural northern NSW, Australia), we have just had our best fall of rain in a very long time and we are very grateful. This will make a huge difference, especially in our preparations for the coming winter. Hope all who are suffering adverse weather conditions find relief soon and stay safe :).

Well, maybe s-kur could say about it more, but apparently Magadan, Chukotka and Kamchatka right now experience their heaviest in recorded history snowstorm. It's all because of a cyclone and the increased humidity. Apparently they were forced to close transportation and schools. And that's saying a lot, when in Chukotka temperatures can reach -40C, and they can still operate.

One of the weirdest things, that apparently the wind is so strong, it fractures the ice on the lakes and rivers. At least that's what they said on the Russia 24 news. Here's a video that says that for the past couple of days over 12 cars went under the ice:

https://youtu.be/KHW58bMuZSU

And here's one of the news reports in Russian:

https://youtu.be/AXaoY5CJ5Rs

Keit said:
Well, maybe s-kur could say about it more, but apparently Magadan, Chukotka and Kamchatka right now experience their heaviest in recorded history snowstorm. It's all because of a cyclone and the increased humidity. Apparently they were forced to close transportation and schools. And that's saying a lot, when in Chukotka temperatures can reach -40C, and they can still operate.

One of the weirdest things, that apparently the wind is so strong, it fractures the ice on the lakes and rivers. At least that's what they said on the Russia 24 news. Here's a video that says that for the past couple of days over 12 cars went under the ice:

This was reported from Greek press yesterday, that this town, Dudinka, on Russia's north, was buried in ice (see link for images: http://offsite.com.cy/mia-olokliri-poli-pou-pagideftike-ston-pago-fotografies/ ) and that they also had problem with electricity, hot water and heating, due to some accident from the electricity providers. And -40 C!

Well, I can tell ya'll about Far East's blizard as witness. For peninsula of Kamchatka it was average (mid-strong) snowfall. According synoptics' information here was dumped 45 mm of precipitation ( but actually height of snowdrift something about 50-70 cm). Wind was not strong at all, according forecasts before blizzard the wind would have been max 27 m\sec, actually here was 15 m\sec. Though, indeed, different locations of peninsula had been impacted differently. In general the strongest blizzard occurs in february-march period.

If I have a photo I'll post them :cool:

Back
Top Bottom