What's the weather where you are?

Carl said:
Laura said:
I wish there was something FOTCM could do for the homeless in a more concrete way. Well, maybe once we get more organized, more members, and some things settled and stabilized, we can do something...

Indeed. In most cities I've been to there are some networks set up to help homeless, ranging from full blown charities to ad hoc groups of local people, but it is not enough. Today we are giving away food/tea and clothes from a stall, but the numbers of homeless seem to be increasing and it is not enough.
In Scotland there are regular donation points set up for food bank collections. Still more could be done though. Many families have to choose between feeding their children and heating their homes. At least they have homes. So many buildings stand empty or are destroyed to make way for retail/parking space. They could easily be used for shelters and food stops. A FOTCM organization to help in an effective manner is an excellent idea.

lainey said:
Carl said:
Laura said:
I wish there was something FOTCM could do for the homeless in a more concrete way. Well, maybe once we get more organized, more members, and some things settled and stabilized, we can do something...

Indeed. In most cities I've been to there are some networks set up to help homeless, ranging from full blown charities to ad hoc groups of local people, but it is not enough. Today we are giving away food/tea and clothes from a stall, but the numbers of homeless seem to be increasing and it is not enough.
In Scotland there are regular donation points set up for food bank collections. Still more could be done though. Many families have to choose between feeding their children and heating their homes. At least they have homes. So many buildings stand empty or are destroyed to make way for retail/parking space. They could easily be used for shelters and food stops. A FOTCM organization to help in an effective manner is an excellent idea.

While i was at the homeless shelter/treatment center in Edmonton i was in the process of speaking with the management and had meetings with the ymca to use their community kitchen to prepare specialty meals such as paleo or even vegetarian mealsfor people that could not afford it. I had a friend willing to help after i left to keep it going but due to finances i havent done anything with it since. I was able to at least put them in contact with one another and distribute flyers where i was staying so that others would be aware of the community kitchen at least. In Edmonton there seems to be quite a bit of food donated to the homeless but it is mainly bread/pastries and anything processed.. I would like to have done more and still have it set as a goal when i can afford it.
Also awhile ago i came across a deer that had been hit and me and a friend pulled her off the road and waoted for the rcmp to come and put her down. I asked if i could take her for the meat and after he made a phone call he said yes.. He also gave me the number for the fish and wildlife officer he contacted. I also know of a place where they dump roadkill and have a neighbor that goes there to procure food for his dogs. I have wondered if it would be possible to make some sort of deal to gather the freshest ones for my dog and also to cook meals for the homeless.
Edit. I also found out that if you do not have enough food you can have a park ranger come and hunt something with you no matter what the season.

Far too warm here in NorCal ...73 degrees and the daffodils are in full bloom. Not a single drop of rain in January. I wish I could send some of the warmth to the East Coast :/

The storm Denis that is above the Balkan this weekend , after 2 days of intense strong winds and rain , today morning we have a new snow.
Temperature is not very low ,( around 0-3 C ) .There are more intense snowing in the mountains. Until now snow cover is around 5-10 cm.

This morning in Moscow there was a weird anomaly :shock: There was a thunderstorm with rain which woke me up and +7C while it is supposed to be the coldest period of winter generally.
https://touch.news.mail.ru/inregions/moscow/90/society/20917915/?frommail=1

We have had a very mild winter which like the veryharsh one last year is unusual. Here in Central Alberta everything was melting for quite awhile and most were expecting an early spring. I somehow doubt it. It is cold again in around minus twenty celcius.

Here in the Midwest, USA - we are currently in the middle of Winter Storm Linus. We've currently got 6 inches (15 cm) of snow and it is starting to come down even heavier. By late afternoon, the winds will pick up to 30 mph with 40-50mph gusts and near zero visibility.

For the first time in 9 years I called off work. By early tomorrow morning, we should have about 14 inches (35.5 cm) with some good sized drifts. The roads are already a mess, but luckily, people are staying home. It is headed for the Northeast on Monday. Stay safe everyone!!

The winter storm hit hard in Toronto, too. The transportation was pretty bad this morning. I was late for work and my roommate shoveled the drive way for most of the day. (Thank you, dugdeep.)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-sees-500-collisions-after-storm-drops-22-cm-of-snow-1.2939964

Toronto sees 500 collisions after storm drops 22 cm of snow

Five hundred collisions were reported on Toronto's roads and surrounding highways on Monday as the city shovelled its way out of a winter storm that touched down on Super Bowl Sunday.

As of early Monday afternoon, the storm had dumped 22 centimetres of snow on Toronto and more than that in areas to the west and south of the city. Parts of southwestern Ontario saw between 30 and 40 centimetres of snow in many cases.

Zagreb (Croatia) is expected to receive up to 50cm (1.6ft) of snow, until Saturday. So it could be very interesting in upcoming days.

Highest temperature of 0 degrees and lowest of -8 C in Southern Aragon (Spain). Right now it is -3 degrees. Thanks DCM for cold adaptation!

Minas Tirith said:
Far too warm here in NorCal ...73 degrees and the daffodils are in full bloom. Not a single drop of rain in January. I wish I could send some of the warmth to the East Coast :/

http://www.sott.net/article/290255-Record-nine-inches-of-rain-drench-San-Francisco

Atmospheric river poised to soak Sacramento
http://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/article9180716.html

Water vapor – Mississippi River-size amounts of it flowing at hurricane speeds miles above the Earth – is hurtling across the Pacific, an atmospheric river poised to drench a parched Northern California and the Sacramento region as early as Thursday night.

A crack team of science experts is going along for the ride, part of an experiment known as CalWater 2015, many of whom gathered at McClellan Park near Sacramento on Tuesday in preparation for the major weather event and the vital information they hope to pull from the phenomenon.

“It’s a real milestone for us. Nothing of this scope has happened,”

It's been a warm winter so far in Vancouver Canada. New Years had a lot of frosts, but by late January highs hover between 6 and 8, and lows above 0. We had one bout of heavy snow late October but that's it. The west coast of North America seems to be spared the polar stream dips that ice up the east coast.

Here in the western part of Germany the winter is now there with temperatures around 0 C. No snow storms in this part of the country. I think this winter could go on for some time, but let's see.

It seems that snow storm which was announced to hit us in last few days are coming our way indeed. Mountainous parts of Croatia received 40-100 cm of snow and forecast says there is more to come. Snow is expected to fall interchangeably until Tuesday next week with accumulation over 100cm in some places. Region where I live (Zagreb) is expected to receive something between 30-50cm so it could be interesting to see how things will develop. Temperatures are to fall to -15C -20C lowest, so it could be one quite a good winter punch in SE Europe.

Regulattor said:
It seems that snow storm which was announced to hit us in last few days are coming our way indeed. Mountainous parts of Croatia received 40-100 cm of snow and forecast says there is more to come. Snow is expected to fall interchangeably until Tuesday next week with accumulation over 100cm in some places. Region where I live (Zagreb) is expected to receive something between 30-50cm so it could be interesting to see how things will develop. Temperatures are to fall to -15C -20C lowest, so it could be one quite a good winter punch in SE Europe.
well its gonna be another snow storm over the SE Europe. Slovenia and Croatia will be hit hardest by this snowstorm.
see this satellite image

_https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/photos/a.1423656947857402.1073741825.1377757209114043/1631832790373149/?type=1&theater

Back
Top Bottom