What's the weather where you are?

The Netherlands encountered its coldest September 16 ever:

NOS-teletekst said:
In De Bilt werd het vandaag maar 12,9 graden. Daarmee was het de koudste 16e september ooit gemeten, zegt Weeronline.
Het oude record was 13,4 graden op deze dag in 1972. In Arcen in Limburg was het met 17,3 graden veel minder koud.

Behalve koud was het hier en daar ook bijzonder nat. Dokkum in Friesland kreeg te maken met een wolkbreuk, waardoor
straten onder water kwamen te staan. Door een gebrek aan wind bleef de regen lang op dezelfde plaats hangen.

De plaatselijke HEMA moest sluiten omdat het dak instortte door het vele regenwater. Ook in Kollum en Grou was er
wateroverlast.

Bing translator said:
In De Bilt it was today only 12.9 degrees C.. With that it was the coldest 16th of September ever measured, says Weeronline.
The old record was 13.4 degrees on this day in 1972. In Arcen in Limburg with 17.3 degrees it was much less cold.

Apart from cold it was here and there also particularly wet. Dokkum in Friesland was faced with a cloud break, which rendered
entire streets under water. Due to a lack of wind, the rain stayed long in the same place.

The local HEMA had to close because the roof collapsed under the deluge of rain water. Also in Kollum and Grou there was
flooding.

I found this observation this evening at this location. It's nippy out there tonight. :knitting:

Le P'tit Pyrénéen - Ariège, le Département
21587030_359305211171008_7512439698978748856_o.jpg

Echoes Photographie 3 hrs ·
Ciel d'hiver au Col de Pailhères
https://www.facebook.com/EchoesPhotographie/photos/a.347545369013659.1073741828.309074392860757/359305211171008/?type=3&theater
Serait-ce une image de l’hiver dernier, avec les constellations du ciel d’hiver au-dessus d’un paysage enneigé ? Que nenni ! Cette image a été prise ce matin même à proximité du Col de Pailhères en Ariège… En effet l’hiver s’est annoncé bien tôt à cette altitude de 2000m, et les premiers flocons étaient même présents dès 1400m. Ici, près de 10cm de poudreuse m’attendaient, par -4°C…
Dans le ciel, avec les premières lueurs de l’aube, on retrouve Sirius, la plus brillante étoile en bas, Orion accompagné de ses nébuleuses rosées, le Taureau et l’amas des Pléiades…
Winter sky at the Col de Pailhères
Le 17 septembre à 6H25
Would it be an image of last winter, with the constellations of the winter sky over a snowy landscape? Why not! This image was taken this morning even near the Col de Pailhères in Ariège ... Indeed the winter was announced early at this altitude of 2000m, and the first flakes were even present as early as 1400m. Here, almost 10cm of powder was waiting for me, by -4 ° C ...
In the sky, with the first light of dawn, we find Sirius, the brightest star below, Orion accompanied by its rosy nebulae, the Taurus and the cluster of Pleiades ...
https://www.facebook.com/EchoesPhotographie/?hc_ref=ARRkAj_WRtKfAzEGIhg1gg7irTv9oH02X_26RlSnsSLt8uAoGsnKfXJ9Lb1GMho3LsA&fref=nf

Sur le Côte d'Azur en France, l'automne arrive doucement, 15° ce matin seulement avec un ciel gris mais pas encore de pluie...

On the Cote d'Azur in France, autumn arrives gently, 15 ° this morning only with a gray sky but not yet rain ...

Hi everyone,

With Hurricane Irma now 10 days behind us, things are still far from normal. There has been much progress but it seems it will take months to fully recover.

My mother is still with me as her mobile home park still has no electricity. We go to check on her place every other day and water all her potted plants.

The county I live in is still under a boil water alert and we must limit our water usage. We are boiling water to wash dishes. We brush our teeth with bottled water. We shower from the neck down every other day. We bought facial wipes and baby wipes to help out as well. We are told not to get water in our eyes or mouth. I use a spray mister to shower my parrot with distilled water.

My aunt just got her electricity back yesterday, 9 nine days after the storm. My father just got his phone back yesterday as well. According to yesterday's local news report, there are still around 50,000 southwest Florida residents without power.

Garbage trucks finally picked up all the neighborhood garbage yesterday. People were happy about that.

Grocery stores shelves are still a bit barron. We make daily trips to get what we need for the day. There is water available but it goes quickly. My mother's chuch was handing out free bottled water yesterday and she went picked up 2 cases of the individual bottled water. They limit the water they give out according to number of persons in the household.

Oh, and I wanted to mention that the 5 days I was without electricity, my mom and I would sit out in the yard at night to get cool before coming in to bed. We would look up at all the STARS! It was amazing. The Milky Way was right over head too! When my mom went to church this past Sunday she said the priest mentioned that it was the first time he has ever seen the Milky Way in Naples, FL.

All in all my mother and I are holding up well. I was much more stressed before the storm as I was watching it approach closer and closer to Florida. And too because I couldn't find any water as I was preparing to stock up 3 days prior to the storm. I eventually did find it because I went to grocery store at 6:30 am the following day and got in line.

Gasoline is now pretty much at every gas station.

That's it for now. Am keeping close eye on Maria though. Poor Puerto Rico.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Thanks for the update, Moonbird. Hope things continue to improve and that Hurricane Maria stays far enough away so as to do no damage.

As for Puerto Rico, gads, my heart goes out to them and to all of the other people suffering with all of the chaotic weather that's happening.

Nienna said:
Thanks for the update, Moonbird. Hope things continue to improve and that Hurricane Maria stays far enough away so as to do no damage.
Yes, thanks for the update, Moonbird. It's amazing what we aren't aware of from the MSM. I guess they just move on to the latest catastrophe. :rolleyes: Do the officials know how long it will be before the water is even safe to use for showering? Berkey water filters carries a shower head filter I use that is very effective over those you find at Home Depot, etc. Maybe check into that once it gets a little more safe to use the water there.

I'm glad you and your relatives are all doing well. Keep us updated as things progress and hang in there!

Good also to hear Moonbird that you, and your family continue to adapt. And make the best of it with emotional maturity.

Stay strong, and safe. Thank you for the updates.

Outrageous: temperature manipulation right in your face (ref. Reply #2700 above).

https://www.sott.net/article/362376-Weather-bureau-in-the-Netherlands-erases-record-cold-in-De-Bilt

Adapt 2030
You Tube
Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:27 UTC

The Netherlands Meteorological Institute erased the record cold temperatures recorded on Sept 16 in Amsterdam. Also anomalous numbers have already been filled out for the rest of the years months of average temperature. A new report about global cooling pegs London, Amsterdam, Paris and Lisbon as cities to look for cold in, and Paris and Amsterdam are are already showing these signs.
Video 4:46 min.

https://youtu.be/NUiD_HuaX68

Merci Moonbird pour vos informations... De tout coeur avec vous... Tenez nous au courant des progrès de cette si triste situation...

Thank you Moonbird for your information ... With your heart with you ... Keep us informed of the progress of this sad situation ...

Tragic fire ravaging 2000 hectares of beautiful pines started yesterday afternoon at the top of Gran Canaria (Canary Islands-Spain) situated at 2000 m above sea level.

I could see from my window (200 m above sea level) the mountains chain being swallowed by coloured clouds from the heat. I felt so sad because it´s my privileged place where I can reassemble my energy in the midst of such a marvelous nature. Its surrounding offers a full variety of huge impressive rocks and caves, deep valleys, supposedly formed during the Atlantida era, and extensive forests of pines mainly. Yeah, nothing lasts forever in this corner of the cosmos, but I´ll miss it for sure.

http://thecanarynews.com/gran-canaria-wildfire-spreads-through-five-municipalities-over-2000-hectares-along-a-20km-front-causing-evacuations/

https://youtu.be/n__18HZESzE

Moonbird said:
The county I live in is still under a boil water alert and we must limit our water usage. We are boiling water to wash dishes. We brush our teeth with bottled water. We shower from the neck down every other day. We bought facial wipes and baby wipes to help out as well. We are told not to get water in our eyes or mouth. I use a spray mister to shower my parrot with distilled water.

If you have lugol, you can use it to sterilize water. It will make it much safer to use for washing. Here is a relevant post:

How to Purify Water Using Iodine Tincture
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Purify-Water-Using-Iodine-Tincture/

Hope things get better soon!

Thank you Gaby for posting about using Lugol's to purify water. Never knew about that. And thank you to everyone for your support.

My mother went back to her home just yesterday as her electricity is now back up and running, 11 days after the storm. My aunt who had electricity lost it again for 24 hours, it is now back on.

The boil water notice was lifted 2 days ago. The wastewater (sewer) system has stabilized so we can now use washing machines, dishwashers, and don't have to limit flushes, etc.

The piles and piles of horticultural debris still line the roads and have become so dry and brittle. Hope no one throws a lit cigarette out their car window. The county is supposed to start collecting it as of yesterday.

So my life is back to some sort of normal. All the little luxuries of life are pretty much back in place. Still I feel weird, a bit off-kilter. But that shall pass i guess.

I have 2 different places I work at. One place is up and running, so I am able to work there, but the work is very limited. The other place which is a hotel and is the bulk of my work is downtown which got hit pretty hard. Plus the hotel had to close for a month even before Irma came to town. We've had so much rain this summer, that the building had problems with leaks from the roof which led to mold issues. So the owner closed the hotel September 5th for a month to have all the repairs done and Irma came on September 10th. Crazy.

Laura said:
Indeed. I was monitoring the storm all through and thought about you constantly being there and hoping that everything was okay.

I bet it is an experience you will never forget. It's hard to convey to other people what it is like, psychologically, to go through an extended period of really violent, hurricane force winds and driving rains. Just nothing else like it in the world.

Thank you Laura. It was a once in a lifetime (hopefully) experience. It was scary watching Irma approach not knowing what was gonna happen and of course during the storm. But after the storm passed a calm came over me and the stress dissipated quite a bit. It was interesting to experience a certain degree of "survival mode." Fun in a kind of strange way...having a new daily routine.

Moonbird said:
Thank you Gaby for posting about using Lugol's to purify water. Never knew about that. And thank you to everyone for your support.

My mother went back to her home just yesterday as her electricity is now back up and running, 11 days after the storm. My aunt who had electricity lost it again for 24 hours, it is now back on.

The boil water notice was lifted 2 days ago. The wastewater (sewer) system has stabilized so we can now use washing machines, dishwashers, and don't have to limit flushes, etc.

The piles and piles of horticultural debris still line the roads and have become so dry and brittle. Hope no one throws a lit cigarette out their car window. The county is supposed to start collecting it as of yesterday.

So my life is back to some sort of normal. All the little luxuries of life are pretty much back in place. Still I feel weird, a bit off-kilter. But that shall pass i guess.

I have 2 different places I work at. One place is up and running, so I am able to work there, but the work is very limited. The other place which is a hotel and is the bulk of my work is downtown which got hit pretty hard. Plus the hotel had to close for a month even before Irma came to town. We've had so much rain this summer, that the building had problems with leaks from the roof which led to mold issues. So the owner closed the hotel September 5th for a month to have all the repairs done and Irma came on September 10th. Crazy.

Laura said:
Indeed. I was monitoring the storm all through and thought about you constantly being there and hoping that everything was okay.

I bet it is an experience you will never forget. It's hard to convey to other people what it is like, psychologically, to go through an extended period of really violent, hurricane force winds and driving rains. Just nothing else like it in the world.

Thank you Laura. It was a once in a lifetime (hopefully) experience. It was scary watching Irma approach not knowing what was gonna happen and of course during the storm. But after the storm passed a calm came over me and the stress dissipated quite a bit. It was interesting to experience a certain degree of "survival mode." Fun in a kind of strange way...having a new daily routine.

Thank you for your update moonbird! I'm glad everything is coming back to normal now, especially access to utilities. I guess lack of electricity for 11 days was a bit of a challenge for your mom.

I'm very sorry to hear about your working hours being limited due to the hurricane, I hope things get back to normal quickly and you won't have to live off your savings.

A big hug to you! :hug2:

After a couple of chilly days early this week that called for a wooly scarf and the central heating being on in the mornings the weekend has been pretty gorgeous here in London. Yesterday the temperature reached 18C / 64F degrees but it felt like much more than this.

Today the forecast says 22C / 72F and I'm looking forward to a nice walk and collecting conkers in my local park! The forecast also predicts rain later today but it usually only turns out to be true 50% of the time. I guess google weather might have caved in to the stereotypical view of the London weather :P

First day of autumn near where I live:

_GranizadaenTeruel225614534_8a.jpg

A few people were hospitalized due to hypothermia after a man's car got flooded underneath a bridge by the copious amounts of water and hail that fell. Those who rescued him had to swim in iced water. Cold adaptation would have come in handy!

Back
Top Bottom