Paleo Women/Diet and Menstruation

Thought I'd give an update here.

To give a short history first; I've been doing the low-carb diet since approx. April/May last year. And last year in October, I noticed that my period didn't occur. However, it came back in March this year, so approx. I had a 6 month absence of menstruation.

So menstruation came back in March and I also had my period in April and in June, with exactly 40 days in between each period. But then it stopped again, and it still hasn't come back yet, so I'm going to continue to observe whether it comes back or not.

I wonder if the recurrence had anything to do with the season (spring/summer).

Since having children, my cycle has been very regular meaning same time every month. Even when I went low carb / paleo it came the same time. But these past two months, after I transitioned into the ketogenic diet, I'm getting it earlier and earlier. The first month was five days early and now this month three days earlier than that. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced that who's doing the diet experiment.

Chrissy said:
Since having children, my cycle has been very regular meaning same time every month. Even when I went low carb / paleo it came the same time. But these past two months, after I transitioned into the ketogenic diet, I'm getting it earlier and earlier. The first month was five days early and now this month three days earlier than that. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced that who's doing the diet experiment.

In my experiance on the KD I have for the first time in my life have them at regular monthly visits. Before the KD I never knew when the visit would happen.Somtimes months in between. No pain and less bloating!!!!

Are you under more stress mentally? I have lived a very high stress manuel labor life and my cycle was affected by this, or so traditional wisdom of health says. I now am normal now so to say.
So yes these diet changes do affect you. Sorry I do not have a more logical answer, just my life so far.

Just to give an update, I've had a busy summer with no time to post on the forum for a while, but to answer your question Chrissy - I've been following the ketogenic diet for a while now, and also exercising much more regularly than I was in the past, 4-5 days per week. Happy to report that all cravings for carbs are finally gone. That choice week of the month was the hardest to avoid chocolate, potatoes, pasta, etc. Now--no cravings, I thought I would be stuck with these forever.

Rather than gradually getting it earlier, I had a sudden "reset" in early summer, with a second cycle only 10 days later, I was a little worried. But after that, it has been clockwork with much longer cycles (30 days vs. 21 days) and only 2 light days per cycle and much less pain. No breast tenderness either - I think magnesium helped with this. I am amazed with the suddenness of the change! But I was surprised with how long it took for my body to respond to the adjustments (after 19 months of diet/exercise improvements and actually sticking to it). It also took me months and months to drop some weight, but I've always been resistant to change, in more ways than one I guess! Phew, change is slow but good.

Horseofadifferentcolor said:
In my experiance on the KD I have for the first time in my life have them at regular monthly visits. Before the KD I never knew when the visit would happen.Somtimes months in between. No pain and less bloating!!!!

Are you under more stress mentally? I have lived a very high stress manuel labor life and my cycle was affected by this, or so traditional wisdom of health says. I now am normal now so to say.
So yes these diet changes do affect you. Sorry I do not have a more logical answer, just my life so far.
The same was for me before children. I used to get it about twice a year into my late 20's. Wish I knew about the diet then.
I do have some stress going on, but the diet itself does wonders for that. I wake up every morning refreshed and ready. Even though there is drama in my personal life, I don't think I've ever felt this solid.

Weller said:
Just to give an update, I've had a busy summer with no time to post on the forum for a while, but to answer your question Chrissy - I've been following the ketogenic diet for a while now, and also exercising much more regularly than I was in the past, 4-5 days per week. Happy to report that all cravings for carbs are finally gone. That choice week of the month was the hardest to avoid chocolate, potatoes, pasta, etc. Now--no cravings, I thought I would be stuck with these forever.

Rather than gradually getting it earlier, I had a sudden "reset" in early summer, with a second cycle only 10 days later, I was a little worried. But after that, it has been clockwork with much longer cycles (30 days vs. 21 days) and only 2 light days per cycle and much less pain. No breast tenderness either - I think magnesium helped with this. I am amazed with the suddenness of the change! But I was surprised with how long it took for my body to respond to the adjustments (after 19 months of diet/exercise improvements and actually sticking to it). It also took me months and months to drop some weight, but I've always been resistant to change, in more ways than one I guess! Phew, change is slow but good.
I was wondering if exercise was playing a part in my different cycle. I've been tweaking my diet for over a year now, but adding the exercise is a big change for me. Now that you mention it, I've had no symptoms these past two months. I usually experience tenderness and slight cramps the first day. And I agree, I've not been tempted by what others are eating around me in the least. No cravings at all. Really remarkable.
Maybe I'm "resetting" too. Who knows? With all the changes going on internally from ketosis, I guess this is just another process being affected. It's very interesting to observe.

Since starting the KD my cycle has lengthened from roughly every 28 days to 30 the first month of the KD to 33 days this last time. I also noticed for the first time during this last period that I experienced belly bloat and water retention the week before my period started. I probably just didn't notice the bloat before this (during the carb and SAD days) because I could've been bloated pretty much all the time. I've read that this pre-menstrual bloat is "normal" but I wonder if as this KD continues that it will go away. It will be interesting to see how this period business will progress and if the cycles will get longer and longer until you menstruate just a handfull of times per year or less.

Odyssey said:
It will be interesting to see how this period business will progress and if the cycles will get longer and longer until you menstruate just a handfull of times per year or less.

I think that may very well be the case.

Wild dogs typically come into season once a year. While domestic dogs are more likely to come into season every six months. Those domesticated breeds that have close ties to their wild ancestors eg: Siberian Husky and Rhodesian Ridgeback - wild dog in their ancestory around 300 years ago - seem to have longer cycles. I initially thought the shorter cycles were a product of selective breeding over thousands of years, and this may still have some effect. But I've been wondering about the effect of diet on that. My ridgeback, who I raised on a raw food diet, did not have her first season until she was 14 months old, where on average I believe it is typical for a domestic dog to have its first season at around 6-8 months of age. My ridgeback continued to have an annual season until I got her desexed.

Perhaps the implications are that on the correct diet, young girls will have their first menstruation later in life and that there will be fewer cycles within a year. This point is raised earlier in this thread where it is suggested that hunter/gatherer women menstruate less frequently.

What an informative post!
My period commenced when I was 11. Since about July/end of June this year it's been absent - perhaps due to a fast, the removal of gluten & a low-carb diet since. Body is still adjusting & this thread is so wonderfully woven with similar experiences. Used to eat a lot of carbs at times before. It's strange there's no cravings for them.
This week rice has somehow managed to be consumed frequently due to business, & I find bloating or pains similar to those during menstruation occurring.
There was mention in the first few pages of the thread about soy acting as oestrogen mimicker by HifromGrace if memory serves correctly. One of the supplements I take contains soy in the form of soya lecithin. Might this have anything to do with this pain & bloating?
Thanks to all for links & articles! :D

Odyssey said:
Since starting the KD my cycle has lengthened from roughly every 28 days to 30 the first month of the KD to 33 days this last time. I also noticed for the first time during this last period that I experienced belly bloat and water retention the week before my period started. I probably just didn't notice the bloat before this (during the carb and SAD days) because I could've been bloated pretty much all the time. I've read that this pre-menstrual bloat is "normal" but I wonder if as this KD continues that it will go away. It will be interesting to see how this period business will progress and if the cycles will get longer and longer until you menstruate just a handfull of times per year or less.

My last cycle was 39 days with no bloating and not even a smidgen of pain. I wonder how long it will be next time?

As Odyssey has reported the intervals between periods is getting longer for me too, from 21 days, to 23 days and this time I'm on day 28 and still waiting. It's a miracle that I don't even know when I am going to start my period now! No more sore breasts, lower abdominal bloating, headaches, moodiness and cramps.

In a month I will be having my Merina IUS removed and will begin using a diaphragm for contraception. I am looking forward to having my menstrual cycle back and seeing what the effects of a full Keto/ IF diet combined with less interventionist contraceptive will be. I have NEVER known normal, natural periods so I am actually extremely excited.

I started my period this morning, on day 30. I'm full Keto now and didn't even know I'd started.

As an aside, I see that the Mooncup Menstual Cup was mentioned earlier in this thread. I would encourage all women to get one and persevere beyond a month or two, especially as your periods become lighter. I have been using it for about a year now and would recommend it. I have the smallest size (am less than 30 and haven't given birth) and though it was slightly awkward to begin with, I wouldn't be without it now. No waste, no discomfort from pads and I only change it twice a day as my flow rate is pretty light.

lwu02eb said:
I started my period this morning, on day 30. I'm full Keto now and didn't even know I'd started.

As an aside, I see that the Mooncup Menstual Cup was mentioned earlier in this thread. I would encourage all women to get one and persevere beyond a month or two, especially as your periods become lighter. I have been using it for about a year now and would recommend it. I have the smallest size (am less than 30 and haven't given birth) and though it was slightly awkward to begin with, I wouldn't be without it now. No waste, no discomfort from pads and I only change it twice a day as my flow rate is pretty light.

I used a Diva cup for the last two years of my period, and wished I bought one years before. Once you get the hang of them they are wonderful. I had very heavy periods for the time of peri-menopause, and those things were a life-saver.

I started my period today after a 7 months hiatus. It started within a month of starting the low dose hydrocortisone for adrenal fatigue. Actually, the same week I started that hydrocortisone, I felt like things were going back to normal. Even though I was having good energy levels, the adrenal fatigue was having its toll in my hormones. FWIW.

This may perhaps be interesting for those who have experienced longer cycles or menstruation absence after being in a ketogenic state. Do note that it talks about caloric restriction, but since one eats much less being in a ketogenic state, I thought it may be worth mentioning:

_http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ymehy/article/PIIS0306987705005979/abstract

Humans are evolutionarily adapted to caloric restriction resulting from ecologically dictated dietary deprivation imposed during the Plio–Pleistocene period
Nūn Amen-Ra

Amenta Press Inc., P.O. Box 236, Damascus, MD 20872, USA
Received 29 October 2005; accepted 3 November 2005

The maintenance of reproductive receptivity and procreative power are energy-intensive imperatives. These imperatives are, however, superfluous under conditions of caloric curtailment. It is therefore not surprising that animals subjected to caloric restriction (CR) are less fertile than free-fed controls. Female animals release fewer eggs during ovulation and have smaller litters while males elaborate less semen and produce fewer sperm under conditions of chronic CR [16] and [17]. These effects are mediated collectively by reductions in gonadotropins (i.e. luteinizing hormone, and follicle stimulating hormone) and by reductions in sex hormones (principally testosterone and estrogen). Interestingly, both testosterone and estrogen are known to increase whole body metabolic rate markedly [14].

Thus, suppression of circulating sex hormones in hominids would have been doubly adaptive in that the likelihood of reproduction would have been reduced and the rate with which limited energy resources were utilized would have been curtailed considerably, augmenting the calorie conserving effects of low thyroid hormone and somatotropin (growth hormone) noted previously. When viewed in terms of the ‘reproductive quotient’ – that is, the ratio of reproductive lifespan to total lifespan – human females are far less fecund than chimpanzees. Viewed differently, the duration over which human females are reproductively receptive (relative to total lifespan) is reduced. If the reproductive range – the period from menarche to menopause or cessation of ovulation – of both chimpanzees and humans is approximated to be ∼30 years and the maximum lifespan of chimpanzees and humans is approximated to be ∼60 and ∼120 years, respectively, then humans have experienced a 2-fold relative reduction in their ‘reproductive quotient’. Though this reduction is attributable in part to increased absolute longevity (without concomitant augmentation of reproductive longevity), negative selection cannot be ruled out, especially when consideration is given to the fact that human females attain sexual maturity several years after their simian counterparts, gestate their young for a longer period and typically experience an abrupt cessation of menstruation and ovulation by about the fifth decade of life.

I posit that comparisons of reproductive potential between such socially sophisticated species as humans and chimpanzees are more practicable and tractable than reproductive rate or output as the former measure is likely more indicative of underlying physiological factors and less subject to complex situational variables. The term reproductive quotient is therefore especially instructive as it expresses an estimation of the length of time over which a given female is reproductively receptive relative to its maximum lifespan. It is in this respect that I maintain that the lineage eventuating in humans experienced a reduction in reproductive potential (reproductive quotient) relative to extant apes and (inferentially) to ancestral hominids. It is conceivable that natural selection served to suppress human fertility (or more precisely, reduce reproductive range relative to lifespan) in the face of food scarcity, thereby promoting the preservation of precious energy reserves. Indeed, it is estimated that energy expenditure is 7% lower in women when the endometrium is in a regressed (non-receptive) state [18].

Clearly, the assumption of amenorreah (i.e. temporary cessation of menstruation) in the face of protracted energy deprivation can effectuate conservation of copious amounts of energy and avert potential parental investment in offspring likely to suffer malnutrition and premature death due to food scarcity.

And then there is this what Ailén and Laura have said in the Ketogenic thread:

Laura said:
Ailén said:
Perhaps women should naturally have some "fertile" periods thoughout the year, but not have menstruation that often, and certainly not have baby all year round? How do we know that having our period once a month is NORMAL? It would be logical to assume that during the longer survival mode, children aren't recommended, and when summer or better times come, it's ok to reproduce. OSIT.

I think it is also part of the key to how the paleolithic populations remained so stable. They reproduced only when the earth told them it was a good time to do so. Now, things are so artificial that our bodies are constantly stressed to be ready to reproduce and provide cannon fodder for psychopaths. And that, of course, is a consequence of agriculture which put that artificial stress on women to begin with.

So in light of the above, it could be that being on a low-carb or ketogenic diet may result in natural energy-conserving mechanisms becoming activated (which for example can result in amenorreah).

Personally, I only had my period 4 times in total last year, as opposed to 12 times a year which I had prior to switching to low-carb and ketogenic. So that would be a reduction of more than 50% in the amount of periods. And on top of that, I experience much and much less pain and discomfort during the periods that I have.

Fwiw.

Psyche said:
I started my period today after a 7 months hiatus. It started within a month of starting the low dose hydrocortisone for adrenal fatigue. Actually, the same week I started that hydrocortisone, I felt like things were going back to normal. Even though I was having good energy levels, the adrenal fatigue was having its toll in my hormones. FWIW.

I'm currently having an issue with menstruation. The consensus is pending between peri-menopause to actual menopause.
(Just turned 47) Prior to January, my cycles were beginning to lengthen, with little bleeding or pain. This was after being paleo-keto for several months. In November I'd begun to rely more on bone broth and bacon, and had a bout with depression through December that responded well to an even stricter adherence to meaty broths and organic organ meats. (Beef hearts were key for some reason)

In January that changed. It began with spotting on the 3rd, and I have not stopped bleeding since then. It alternates between a steady flow, to what the websites I've read calls 'flooding', very heavy bleeding that makes me dizzy. I've gone in to have blood-work done and am skating along the edges of anemia and vitamin B deficiencies. To counter that, I've upped the intake of organic meats, supplement with liquid broad spectrum vitamin B, liposomal Vit C, and more magnesium/potassium/zinc. So far? The more C I take, the harder the flow, so I've cut that down to 1000 mg. Nothing else I've been taking supplement wise seems to make any difference.

I'm seeing a gynecologist next week, and the doctor again this week, to see about having an Ablation done. This is the longest period I've ever had, and I have to say its awful. :(

Back
Top Bottom