Muscular pain due to heavy cough

Graalsword

Jedi Council Member
After a cold I got about 2 weeks ago or so, I've been having a lot of cough. Due to weather getting gradually hot in my area, the cough is now ddecreasing a bit. However, 3 days ago, while heavily coughing, I did some kind of wrong movements with muscles, plus the tension or stress of left rib muscles during cough, and I began to felt a strong pain in that area. With certain positions and movements of the body (and most especially left arm), but most especially when I cough, the pain I feel is like torture, as though someone was hiting me with a stick.

The pain feels superficial and muscular, therefore I think that it is not probably something inside the lungs, though I wouldn't rule out any thing besides the muscle thing.

The cough seems to be gradually decreasing, but the pain -when coughing- is like torture, literally, everytime I cough, the muscles move and I feel such a pain, that I had ended up crying a couple of times. It seems it is begining to be a similar pain in the right side, though yet very slight

Muscular strains is a frequent side-effect of prolonged coughing; it is even possible to fracture ribs through coughing. Try hot baths and pain killers if you can't sleep because of pain. Muscular pains after straining muscles can last for several weeks, but isn't dangerous. There aren't nerve fibres in the lungs so you can be confident that the pain doesn't originate from there. Good healing! :)

Hithere said:
Muscular strains is a frequent side-effect of prolonged coughing; it is even possible to fracture ribs through coughing. Try hot baths and pain killers if you can't sleep because of pain. Muscular pains after straining muscles can last for several weeks, but isn't dangerous. There aren't nerve fibres in the lungs so you can be confident that the pain doesn't originate from there. Good healing! :)

Hi Hithere, thanks for the reply. Actually, I´ve been able to sleep, when I wake up (I mean when I open my eyes before getting up) the pain is almost absent, once I move my body it begins to appear, and with the first cough of the day comes hell. Hot baths seem to relief a little, though it is shortlived.

Now, regarding painkillers, which one is the best one? I was searching in the forum and sott, there is the DMSO, but I don´t have it at home today, and I don´t think that I will find until next week (if it exists at all in my country, because many things never get here). At home, I have Ibuprophen and diclofenac.

Well, I took ibuprophen, I simply couldn't stand the pain. I think I will do it every 8 hours to see what happens.

Hithere said:
You could try that: Ibuprofen 600 mg x 3 and if needed add 1 g Paracetamol x 3.

Yes I have Ibup. 600 mg. After the first intake, the pain reduced a lot, more on the left side, whereas the right side remained with a bit of pain. The cough almost disappeared, probably the ibup. dried mucosity or something like that.

Graalsword, the best painkiller would be the two hands of an osteopath (a true osteopath) ! In one session he would put your ribs back in place and free the nerves and you should be relieved
Danse la vie

Danse la vie said:
Graalsword, the best painkiller would be the two hands of an osteopath (a true osteopath) ! In one session he would put your ribs back in place and free the nerves and you should be relieved
Danse la vie

Not easy to find a true one, who knows what to do. I have a friend who does something called "thailandish massage", she performed that massages on me a few times, and it was great.

Back
Top Bottom