Payment Issues in SOTT Comments

SeekinTruth

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Sott reader Highland Fleet Lute keeps posting comments about not having a credit card and the issue of paying by check not drawn on a US bank. The latest one is:

https://www.sott.net/articles/show/241907-The-Lorax-and-What-Matters#comment64748

Yeah, but I can't donate, not because I don't have money, but because I don't have a babylon VISA card, and am in no rush to get one despite being spammed every day of my life by my bank to get one. This is my third comment on this situation and still no bugger at SOTT has a thing to say about it.

To which Sott reader elbo replied:

https://www.sott.net/articles/show/241907-The-Lorax-and-What-Matters#reply9671

maybe try sending an email to SOTT@SOTT.net?

I thought I'd bring it to the attention of the editors. Shouldn't it be OK to send a money order in US dollars from abroad?

That's exactly what I do from Canada. I send a Canadian postal money order in US dollars to the Colorado address.
Although I don't know if it can be done from other countries.

As long as it is in US dollars, it's usually fine, though we pay a $5 fee for every one from Canada for some odd reason, so try to keep that in mind. From his posts, Highlandfleetlute doesn't want to send one in US dollars, so that's a more complicated issue, but I'm sure the Chateau can work out something with him if he'll email them at sott@sott.net and ask.

SeekinTruth said:
Shouldn't it be OK to send a money order in US dollars from abroad?

You would think it'd be ok, but apparently most banks will chage a fee for this service. I did research a postal money order from Canada to USA and found that Canada has an agreement with the US postal service - the US postal service will cash those money orders for free. However, a bank may charge up to $12.

And whether the bank will even cash it (fee or no fee) depends on which bank it is.

When I sent money from overseas to the USA - I had to use the Arab Bank and the check had to go thru New York - and it took several days to clear. And there was a fee. It was difficult to say the least.

OK, Joe. Thanks. He's been posting comments for several days, so it's good he's being contacted. :)

Some of my friends on FB want to pay a donation but do not have a PayPal account.And they do not know someone who has it.
I think they do not speak English very well, so they ask me to find out how to do it. What can I tell them?

istina said:
Some of my friends on FB want to pay a donation but do not have a PayPal account.And they do not know someone who has it.
I think they do not speak English very well, so they ask me to find out how to do it. What can I tell them?

They don't need paypal. A credit card will do.

My apologies if this question has been covered elsewhere--I looked but did not see ( :-[ how often that has been true in my life is a scary thought!) I will be making a donation to the campaign fund soon. Each month I send a donation to FOTCM by personal check to the Boulder address. If I put the much larger campaign donation in my March personal check to FOTCM, can/will it be counted toward the campaign total and will it be in time to help? I know there is a bit of lag time in the processing due to all the work it creates. I prefer to send a donation by personal check but will reorganize to use the credit card if it makes a difference. Thank You.
shellycheval

PS--It is a US bank check and dollars I would be sending.

shellycheval said:
My apologies if this question has been covered elsewhere--I looked but did not see ( :-[ how often that has been true in my life is a scary thought!) I will be making a donation to the campaign fund soon. Each month I send a donation to FOTCM by personal check to the Boulder address. If I put the much larger campaign donation in my March personal check to FOTCM, can/will it be counted toward the campaign total and will it be in time to help? I know there is a bit of lag time in the processing due to all the work it creates. I prefer to send a donation by personal check but will reorganize to use the credit card if it makes a difference. Thank You.
shellycheval

PS--It is a US bank check and dollars I would be sending.

I think that if you put a note with the donation letting them know that it's for the fundraiser, that it will get to the fundraiser stats.

I also make my donations to FOTCM by personal check, sent to Boulder. For the fundraiser, I also sent a personal check, but sent it to QFG, POBox 4322, Boulder, CO 80306 (made out to QFG).

Back
Top Bottom