Anger: 6 Psychological Benefits of Getting Mad

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Psy-Blog:

We tend to think of anger as a wild, negative emotion, but research finds that anger also has its positive side.

There are all sorts of good sensible, civilised reasons to avoid getting angry.

Not only does it make you feel bad, it makes you do stupid things without noticing the risks and it can be self-destructive.

As a result civilised people do their best to suppress, redirect and mask their anger. Most of us treat our anger as though it's unreasonable, unshowable and unmentionable.

But like all emotions anger has its purposes, which can be used to good effect.

1. Anger is a motivating force

You sometimes hear people talking about using anger as a motivating force by 'turning anger into positive energy'. In fact anger itself is a kind of positive energy and a powerful motivating force. Research has shown that anger can make us push on towards our goals in the face of problems and barriers.

In one study participants were shown objects they associated with a reward. Some, though, were first exposed to angry faces. Those shown the angry faces were more likely to want objects they were subsequently exposed to (Aarts et al., 2010).

When we see something as beneficial, we want it more when we're angry. So, when used right, constructive anger can make you feel strong and powerful and help push you on to get what you want.

2. Angry people are more optimistic

It may sound like an odd thing to say, but angry people have something in common with happy people. That's because both tend to be more optimistic.

Take one study of fear of terrorism carried out in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In this study those experiencing anger expected fewer attacks in the future (Lerner et al., 2003). In contrast those experiencing more fear were more pessimistic about the future and expected further attacks.

3. Anger can benefit relationships

Anger is a natural reaction to being wronged by someone else and it's a way of communicating that sense of injustice. But society tells us anger is dangerous and we should hide it. What does this do to our personal relationships?

Oddly enough research has shown that hiding anger in intimate relationships can be detrimental (Baumeister et al., 1990). The problem is that when you hide your anger, your partner doesn't know they've done something wrong. And so they keep doing it. And that doesn't do your relationship any good.

The expression of anger, if justifiable and aimed at finding a solution rather than just venting, can actually benefit and strengthen relationships.

4. Anger provides self-insight

Anger can also provide insight into ourselves, if we allow it.

A sample of Americans and Russians were asked about how recent outbursts of anger had affected them (Kassinove et al., 1997). 55% claimed that getting angry had let to a positive outcome. One top of this one-third said that anger provided an insight into their own faults.

If we can notice when we get angry and why, then we can learn what to do to improve our lives. Anger can motivate self-change.

5. Anger reduces violence

Although anger often precedes physical violence, it can also be a way of reducing violence. That's because it's a very strong social signal that a situation needs to be resolved. When others see the signal they are more motivated to try and placate the angry party.

If you're still not convinced that anger might reduce violence, imagine a world without anger where people had no method for showing how they felt about injustice. Might they jump straight to violence?

6. Anger as negotiation strategy

Anger can be a legitimate way to get what you want. In one study of negotiation participants made larger concessions and fewer demands of an angry person than one who was happy (Van Kleef et al., 2002).

So there's some evidence that anger can be used as a negotiation strategy, but it's more complicated than that. You can't just lose your rag and expect to win everything you want.

Anger is likely to work best when it's justified, if you appear powerful and when the other side's options are limited (Sinaceur & Tiedens, 2006; Van Kleef et al., 2007).

In the right circumstances, then, it's possible to both get mad and get even.

Deadly sin or constructive emotion?

I say anger can reduce violence, benefit relationships, promote optimism and be a useful motivating force, but it can just as easily be destructive.

That's the wonder of human emotions: happy isn't always good and angry isn't always bad (although it may feel that way). An unhappy person is also more likely to spot mistakes and an angry person is highly motivated to act. We need reminding that even scary and dangerous emotions have their upsides, as long as they are used for the correct purpose.

The likely features of constructive anger are:

* that the person who caused the anger is present,
* that it is justified and proportionate to the wrongdoing,
* and it is expressed as the first step in trying to solve a problem rather than just venting bad feeling.

People seem to unconsciously understand the benefits of anger. One study found participants who were about to play a game requiring them to be confrontational were more likely to listen to angry music beforehand or think back to things that have made them angry (Tamir et al, 2008). They then went on to perform better in the task because they felt more angry.

Used right, anger can be a handy tool. But use with caution as people find anger the most difficult of all the emotions to control.

It's consistent with things I saw and learned in my early esoteric training. Workshop leaders ("trainers") would sometimes use anger to help dislodge a participant from being stuck on a position. That practice also led to abuse, however, and the trainer best known to me for using it (I was one of her targets) seems to have become a bit unhinged.

In my personal work, anger has been quite helpful at times. Rage has not.

Laura said:
Used right, anger can be a handy tool. But use with caution as people find anger the most difficult of all the emotions to control.
"I" think that the key in using anger as a tool is temperance which is attained through self knowledge.

Megan said:
In my personal work, anger has been quite helpful at times. Rage has not.
Rage is certainly a "bad boy," the strongest instance of rage that comes to my mind elicited a response from deep within me that i needed to control that blaze or else it would consume me. Funny thing is that i took up meditation in order to control it, so it was very useful to me.

bngenoh said:
Laura said:
"I" think that the key in using anger as a tool is temperance which is attained through self knowledge.

And a quiete useful tool too, if one doesn't get drowned in it. But as you wrote self awareness is important to recognize and to use it.

If there is a revolution it is because people are really, really angry. I think so.

Just to think about something personal: in my family anger was ridiculed. My father was always angry: every Sunday he was expressing is anger with the members of the family (my grandparents and my uncles and aunts...). He was angry about politics, social situation, working situation, etc. My family laugh at him, at his anger. It was a ritual: the occasion, every Sunday, to laugh at my father anger. But the anger of my father was a plus for him: he decided to leave his country (Spain) and try to go to live in a better country. The anger of my father was his wings.

Anger was, in my family, a taboo. My mother liked to compare anger with madness and monstrosity but my mother was someone who was afraid of her anger. She tried to educated us, my sister and I, refusing to express our anger. All my life I was afraid of my proper anger. Now I try to understand it and accept it and see what my anger is telling me, with compassion and acceptance.

Anger is a very interesting subject.

An interesting association:
Gawan said:
bngenoh said:
Laura said:

And a quiete useful tool too, if one doesn't get drowned in it. But as you wrote self awareness is important to recognize and to use it.

loreta said:
If there is a revolution it is because people are really, really angry. I think so.

loreta said:
The anger of my father was his wings.
Yes, the key to constructively expressing anger is awareness based in knowledge. Awareness that you are angry, and maybe, what was/is the cause of the anger. "I" think that the revolution will be precipitated by some factor which causes the masses to become aware of their anger, but without a directing intention, it is likely to descend into a bloodbath the likes of which we have probably never seen. The expression of this individual and collective anger, may be used constructively to raise humanity like wings, but as always, the choice is up to us.

bngenoh said:
Yes, the key to constructively expressing anger is awareness based in knowledge. Awareness that you are angry, and maybe, what was/is the cause of the anger. "I" think that the revolution will be precipitated by some factor which causes the masses to become aware of their anger, but without a directing intention, it is likely to descend into a bloodbath the likes of which we have probably never seen. The expression of this individual and collective anger, may be used constructively to raise humanity like wings, but as always, the choice is up to us.

Absolutely. The PTB manipulate always the anger of people to do what they want, never for the benefit of the anger person or the situation. But every person has to do his personal revolution, and there anger has a permission to be. I think. ;)

What is Raging?
Rage is a shame based expression of anger.

Rage is by definition abuse. Ragers react to strong emotions with rage. (i.e. feelings of fear, sadness, shame, inadequacy, guilt or loss convert to rage.)

Ragers were typically shamed or punished by their caretakers for expressing emotion when they were young; i.e.: "Be a man and don't cry", "Nice girls don't get angry" or "I'll give you something to cry about".

Raging gives the rager a feeling of power - offsetting their shame and feelings of inadequacy.

Rage sets up a neurochemical reaction in the brain that can be addictive, producing what is known as rageaholism or ragaholics.

What Rage Looks Like:

Screaming, physical expressions of anger, violence or threats of violence, sulking, manipulation, emotional blackmail, silent smoldering, and anger used to punish.

What Healthy Anger looks like:

Healthy expression of anger involves confrontation of what makes you angry and an effort to set boundaries. (What you will do in response to what makes you angry.)

i.e: When you (a behavior), I feel (a feeling) , and to protect myself I will _________.

Healthy anger is not used to punish, is not violent, and isn't used to intimidate, control or manipulate. It is expressed, discussed, and moved through.

Healthy anger is not stuffed down and ignored. (Stuffed anger created resentment and a wealth of physical / mental and emotional problems.) Healthy anger is not expressed in passive aggressive and manipulative ways.

Unhealthy Anger is component of Alcoholism, Addictions and Abusive Relationships.

Anger management is critical to recovery from addictions and trauma, childhood sexual mental or physical abuse, and relationship recovery. Addictions are in part a coping mechanism to deal with feelings by masking them.

Alcoholics and Addicts often "use at" the source of their anger. (i.e.: I'm angry at ______ so I'll have a drink, take a drug, or act out sexually. Obviously this is a highly self destructive response to anger.

Unexpressed anger related to childhood abuses often results in addictive problems later in life. (To stuff down the feelings of shame, anger, isolation, fear, sadness and loss the abuse creates.) Very often chronic relapsers in recovery programs, or chronic addicts are survivors of childhood abuse.

The sad irony is that by pushing feelings down alcohol and drugs make it impossible to work through our feelings and move past them, keeping the survivor trapped in a downward spiral. This is part of why even moderate drug or alcohol use in non addicts severely compromises their progress in therapy. (If you are stuffing down your feelings how can you work on them?)

Regarding anger, the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says:

"It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while. But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feeling we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.

If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us. They may be the dubious luxury of normal men, but for alcoholics these things are poison."

I found the text above in this site (http://www.recovery-man.com/abusive/rage_vs_anger.htm) about the difference between anger and rage. On the other hand, I have always thought that rage was not openly expressed anger. Likely that many of my problems is because I keep a lot of things I mean.
I recently experienced a fit of anger against a friend that I suspect has narcissistic traits. I do not know how it will end our relationship for now...Besides is not the first time

I struggle with anger and I don't use it healthily I think. I don't express it in the moment because I don't trust that I can control it. I do however express it now, just not around others because I believe I do use it as a punisher or in a manipulative fashion.

I've found anger predictive of violence perhaps because of the violence in my childhood home. So one of the things that I've been working on is observing myself when others in the environment show anger and observing the fear of violence come up in me. This wasn't easy at the start because I was in the fear before I could catch it. One of the things I've learned is that my body always reacted as though violence was imminent if someone got angry, but in catching the fear early and just observing I've been able to see that a) anger was not always directed at me and b) it rarely involved physical violence even though I was reacting as though it did. Infact, some of my fear triggers that I've identified are the very first signs of anger or impatience in others....reddening faces, stiffening body language, rolling eyes, explosive movements, clenching fists.

In my mid to late teens I used express this anger, that was not tolerated from us kids in our home despite the anger of the adults in the home, but I used to go down the back to the horse paddock with either a sledge hammer or just my bare fists and attack an old car body we had down there. Back then, getting the anger out felt really good, but I feared that if it felt so good, I might turn out like my step dad and start using fists on people, so I further suppressed anger to the point that I denied that I ever felt it. The problem with that I think is that the anger still manifested itself in me in the form of covert manipulation or passive aggressiveness and anxiety/depression.

* that the person who caused the anger is present,
* that it is justified and proportionate to the wrongdoing,
* and it is expressed as the first step in trying to solve a problem rather than just venting bad feeling.

I'm not always confident that I can comply to these guidelines of healthy anger expression yet. Though I am less likely to work to avoid feeling it. A work in progress.

Thanks for that Tristan
Tristan said:
Unhealthy Anger is component of Alcoholism, Addictions and Abusive Relationships.

Anger management is critical to recovery from addictions and trauma, childhood sexual mental or physical abuse, and relationship recovery. Addictions are in part a coping mechanism to deal with feelings by masking them.

[...]

Unexpressed anger related to childhood abuses often results in addictive problems later in life. (To stuff down the feelings of shame, anger, isolation, fear, sadness and loss the abuse creates.) Very often chronic relapsers in recovery programs, or chronic addicts are survivors of childhood abuse.

The sad irony is that by pushing feelings down alcohol and drugs make it impossible to work through our feelings and move past them, keeping the survivor trapped in a downward spiral. This is part of why even moderate drug or alcohol use in non addicts severely compromises their progress in therapy. (If you are stuffing down your feelings how can you work on them?)

Regarding anger, the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says:

"It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while. But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feeling we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.
On the other hand, I have always thought that rage was not openly expressed anger. Likely that many of my problems is because I keep a lot of things I mean.
"I" think of rage as not openly expressed anger as well, what you have posted also dovetails with my understanding, because if healthy anger is not expressed, but instead suppressed deep in the psyche, it festers and mutates into rage, osit.

All the above hits home for me because i used to drink a lot, all the possible causative factors such as childhood abuse, men don't show emotion, etc, are definitely right at least in my case, but i have moved past the drinking, and am slowly but surely recovering, healing, and regenerating myself.

I think both anger and fear are necessary for life, if used in context. If not, these emotions do not exist in any animal.

But it is necessary to depart from all social convention, religious or newager to view as it is.

Anger is STS, based on anticipations.

And certainly good way to announce or get, what you want, so, can be really useful in STS environment.

But for learners, there is a lot better method - mind balancing. It described in Ra materials.
I used it last 1.5 years, and it is very effective.

Non-Acceptance is signal, that you have prejudices or anticipations. And it can be used for analysises, and advance. As a result, there are no reason to defend self with anger, if it is possible be open and accept anything, as free will of others. Free energy flows through body for those, who do not block it with anything.

maxim.m said:
Non-Acceptance is signal, that you have prejudices or anticipations. And it can be used for analysises, and advance. As a result, there are no reason to defend self with anger, if it is possible be open and accept anything, as free will of others. Free energy flows through body for those, who do not block it with anything.

This sounds really new agey and twisted. An example: Say somebody attacks your child. They're acting out of their free will. You say their free will is to be accepted. The child is harmed because you didn't jump in to protect your child. Sounds off? Yep.

Remaining passive - which you call 'acceptance' - in such a situation equals agreement with what the other does. In doing so, you let your own free will be overruled, which could for example be, not to want to be harmed/exploited/fed off of by a pathological individual.

So, just a heads-up about the importance of the context of a situation, fwiw.

Acceptance of free will of others, do not restrict you, to do anything, like protecting yourself, or anyone else. Just be ready to anything.

Anger is a way to block free will. And most of times it is a method to setup blocks in others, to make them self restricted and controllable.

maxim.m said:
Anger is STS, based on anticipations.

Does anger not have a polarity, a negative and positive, seen and used correctly it seems to play on the higher centers.

And certainly good way to announce or get, what you want, so, can be really useful in STS environment.

Seems to me we are all STS environment. Anger recognized and used positively, can allow for much internal and external perception, aiding development.

But for learners, there is a lot better method - mind balancing. It described in Ra materials.
I used it last 1.5 years, and it is very effective.

Can you summarize this?

Don't quite follow, we are in a free will universe, we are open to possibility, ok, "and we accept anything, as free will of others". Understand the free will of this but do not accept the free will of psychopathic systems to do harm and do not want to feel that free flowing energy from them, although experiencing its existence does make me angry.

Acceptance of free will of others, do not restrict you, to do anything, like protecting yourself, or anyone else. Just be ready to anything.

Somehow the term "accepting" is too fuzzy for me, observing, understanding the mechanisms of free will think helps not to restrict, but accepting seems in many cases to dampen the centers. Often at the time, anger seems to represent a connection, if observing, it can help to create many opportunities of objective thinking and doing. It is a tricky emotion that requires diligence of watchfulness, osit.

Anger is a way to block free will. And most of times it is a method to setup blocks in others, to make them self restricted and controllable.

Think the polarity of anger dominates this, anger is an influence and not necessarily a blocker of free will, it may even be an essential emotional center component that reacts to internal and external shocks of free will.

4. Anger provides self-insight

… One top of this one-third said that anger provided an insight into their own faults.

If we can notice when we get angry and why, then we can learn what to do to improve our lives. Anger can motivate self-change.

Think the noticing of the when and why are useful.

Back
Top Bottom