Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

Re: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

Prodigal Son said:
Gertrudes said:

Currently I'm doing acupuncture to help correct some hormonal unbalances, and on our first session the practitioner said that he would apply what he called the "hot method" with me since, in his assessment, my body needs the heat to heal.
This what the Ayurveda Centre is recommending me to do after my deep-tissue massage - the application of heat to heal.

A really interesting notion here in terms of needing heat to heal, depending on the person.

A few years back I had a pulse diagnosis done, during a time when I was regularly taking Very hot baths, followed by a cold shower. The therapist could deduce from my pulse that I was working with heat and she said I should keep doing it, because it's beneficial for my body.

As to my own experience with the cold showers, I took a break from it for about 3 months, but this wasn't due to any resulting negative issues, but because I had upped my carb intake via fruit, and the cold just seemed too uncomfortable in connection with not being zero carb.

I've recently begun approaching the cold showers again, i.e. starting with warm water and then gradually turning it colder and colder. When before, I didn't take long to switch, it seems harder to do so now that it's winter.

But the one thing that keeps me wanting to go back to them is my body's response to the cold water after I've adapted: it is like my body needs it, there is some sort of bodily craving to it. (The aversion to the cold seems to me to be only a mental construct formed via habit.) And during the time I was already adapted to the cold (at least to the cold showers), I experimented and tried to take a warm shower again and it just felt really off, "not right", and again, it was like my body was demanding the cold water. This 'bodily demanding' seems to be of the same nature when I started eating meat after years of vegetarianism, or when I started with bone broth. As if there was some instant physiological recognition to what the body needs.

So, I'll just keep experimenting with it and see what comes up. I recently had a sauna (the classical one, not the infrared type), and think I'll do this from time to time, especially in the winter, because the change from hot to cold seems to have something beneficial to it.

Aiming said:

As to my own experience with the cold showers, I took a break from it for about 3 months, but this wasn't due to any resulting negative issues, but because I had upped my carb intake via fruit, and the cold just seemed too uncomfortable in connection with not being zero carb.

So, I'll just keep experimenting with it and see what comes up. I recently had a sauna (the classical one, not the infrared type), and think I'll do this from time to time, especially in the winter, because the change from hot to cold seems to have something beneficial to it.
That's interesting because when cold adaption first started, from Dr Jack Kruse's blog he was of the opinion that the less you were into ketosis (zero carb), and being towards 'obese' the easier it was to cold adapt.

Keep us informed of your experimenting with moving from hot (occasionally using a traditional sauna) to cold in the winter

Prodigal Son said:
Aiming said:

That's interesting because when cold adaption first started, from Dr Jack Kruse's blog he was of the opinion that the less you were into ketosis (zero carb), and being towards 'obese' the easier it was to cold adapt.

Keep us informed of your experimenting with moving from hot (occasionally using a traditional sauna) to cold in the winter

I guess everyone's different. I find that on the keto diet, it is much easier to take the plunge as it were, because the heat emanating from my body becomes intolerable at times. But when I used to eat carbs, it was a huge fight to do cold showers. For my organism, cold showers go hand in glove with keto.

I tend to agree with keto making cold showers/cold adaptation easier, at least for me. Definitely just general cold tolerance has increased greatly since keto adaptation. FWIW.

This is all interesting.

Even though a cold shower is too much for my body, since I have been in ketosis I can't stand the heat the way I used to, not even close. During winter I used to always be near a radiator and use a hot water bottle in bed. Now if getting too close to a heat source I become nauseous and overheated.

I also used to stand well the Summer heat, more so then the average person. Now too much heat doesn't make me feel well at all.

This winter I have been much more cold resistant then I have been in several years, and I had been putting it down to my previous experience with cold showers, but now I wonder if whether having been in ketosis for a while hasn't also contributed for that change.

SeekinTruth said:
I tend to agree with keto making cold showers/cold adaptation easier, at least for me. Definitely just general cold tolerance has increased greatly since keto adaptation. FWIW.
That's true for me too, although with the weather getting colder recently, and with having weekly, short - hot saunas after deep-tissue massage and daily FIR saunas to reduce edema, my tolerance to cold seems to have reduced! It was high previously. :) I'm still much more tolerant of the cold than I was before cold adapting though, so I'm not sure whether it's the effect of this 'hot work' or the much colder weather that has contributed to this reduced tolerance.

I find this all very interesting as well. Since going through menopause(2010-2012) and having hot flashes, it feels like my body is on a temperature fluctuation roller coaster. I must say though, being on the kd for almost a year now, the flashes are few and far between.

The temperature of my body seems to fluctuate greatly throughout the day. Mornings I`ll take a hot bath and finish with an increasingly cool shower. The space that I work in is somewhere around 60 degrees. I find myself working in a short sleeve shirt most of the time. The coolness feels good. Is this a way to know if you are cold adapted? The house temperature is also in the 60`s. It feels uncomfortable any lower than that.

So I guess what I`m asking is is the cold adapting for my body preparing me to lower the temperature in my work space and home. Is it for my health or the coming ice age or both?( I know there are many benefits health wise). Kind of like the indigenous people who only relied on only wood or the heat from the sun for warmth. I feel healthier in the cooler air, although I do like to toke the wood stove up now and then for added warmth. :)

m

Nancy2feathers said:
... The house temperature is also in the 60`s. It feels uncomfortable any lower than that.

So I guess what I`m asking is is the cold adapting for my body preparing me to lower the temperature in my work space and home. Is it for my health or the coming ice age or both?
( I know there are many benefits health wise). Kind of like the indigenous people who only relied on only wood or the heat from the sun for warmth. I feel healthier in the cooler air, although I do like to toke the wood stove up now and then for added warmth. :)
Since cold adapting, and a fellow rambler in U3A telling me how a relative of hers, and the whole family do not put any heating on throughout the whole year, merely adjusting the layers of clothing I decided to give this a go this year. The room temperature in my groundfloor flat hovers around the 50's and is/has been comfortable. There is a downside - warmth - I'm contracted to have the heating on for two hours twice a day when it's freezing. I put it on in November, when it was frosty, which then disappeared and the increased warmth was uncomfortable. As mentioned earlier, since taking daily FIR saunas, by late afternoon when it feels much colder, I have felt the cold, yet additional layers of clothing help ease this experience.

For walking in the mountains, the advice regarding clothing is being 'comfortably cool' - ie at an acceptable level of feeling the cold. I have yet to be tempted by additionally putting the heating on during the day whilst working at my desk.

So, to answer your question: is the cold adapting for my body preparing me to lower the temperature in my work space and home. Is it for my health or the coming ice age or both? - the answer from my perspective is yes.

Prodigal Son said:
Nancy2feathers said:
... The house temperature is also in the 60`s. It feels uncomfortable any lower than that.

So I guess what I`m asking is is the cold adapting for my body preparing me to lower the temperature in my work space and home. Is it for my health or the coming ice age or both?
( I know there are many benefits health wise). Kind of like the indigenous people who only relied on only wood or the heat from the sun for warmth. I feel healthier in the cooler air, although I do like to toke the wood stove up now and then for added warmth. :)
Since cold adapting, and a fellow rambler in U3A telling me how a relative of hers, and the whole family do not put any heating on throughout the whole year, merely adjusting the layers of clothing I decided to give this a go this year. The room temperature in my groundfloor flat hovers around the 50's and is/has been comfortable. There is a downside - warmth - I'm contracted to have the heating on for two hours twice a day when it's freezing. I put it on in November, when it was frosty, which then disappeared and the increased warmth was uncomfortable. As mentioned earlier, since taking daily FIR saunas, by late afternoon when it feels much colder, I have felt the cold, yet additional layers of clothing help ease this experience.

For walking in the mountains, the advice regarding clothing is being 'comfortably cool' - ie at an acceptable level of feeling the cold. I have yet to be tempted by additionally putting the heating on during the day whilst working at my desk.

So, to answer your question: is the cold adapting for my body preparing me to lower the temperature in my work space and home. Is it for my health or the coming ice age or both? - the answer from my perspective is yes.

Our sleeping area is generally always quite cool (summer/winter). In winter it is probably < 15 degrees Celsius. (upper 50's F). Our house upstairs is wood heat (electrical backup) and we keep it running for reasons of importance for freezing water, quests etc. If it is too cool, if just us, layers of cloths are used as applicable, yet the wood heat is maintained at different heating value levels. Even in Inuit huts or igloos, whale oils were burned to heat the space and could keep them at a good functioning level.

About clothes in the mountains (particularity if in either cold/wet/snow), depending on what you are doing (e.g. heating yourself up from exertion), one needs to be a little careful going through start and stop activities (exertion/energy traditions) that hypothermia effects are monitored and that additional layers are always available. Freezing skin tissue from windchill, being wet etc, is a value that, like water below zero, will change and clothing precautions need to be observed, imo.

Further working on cold adapting has certainly made me much more aware of changed tolerances, that before, would have been sought out with the answer of heat and now is not so much as prevalent a need.

A documentary and program about tolerating extreme temperatures has been made by RT. It tells the story of a man who fell out of a train in minus 45 degrees Celsius and ran for half an hour to to a train station. Inserted in the story are a lot of clips which show cold enthusiasts, a Porfiry Ivanov follower who overcame disease, scientific experiments and explanation of cryotherapy. At the end there is some good advice of how to survive cold of which the most important may be that one must have a will to live. The link is _http://rt.com/shows/documentary/surviving-the-cold-898/

Also there are some old film recordings of Porfiry Ivanov somewhere in the middle. I was told a story in the Ukraine that during WW II he was caught by German soldiers who had seen him walk in the cold wearing very little. The soldiers amused themselves by giving him an extra cold treatment, but he passed the test so well that he impressed them so much, that they began to admire him. They let him go. In their minds he was a Russian god.

thorbiorn said:
A documentary and program about tolerating extreme temperatures has been made by RT. It tells the story of a man who fell out of a train in minus 45 degrees Celsius and ran for half an hour to to a train station. Inserted in the story are a lot of clips which show cold enthusiasts, a Porfiry Ivanov follower who overcame disease, scientific experiments and explanation of cryotherapy. At the end there is some good advice of how to survive cold of which the most important may be that one must have a will to live. The link is _http://rt.com/shows/documentary/surviving-the-cold-898/

Also there are some old film recordings of Porfiry Ivanov somewhere in the middle. I was told a story in the Ukraine that during WW II he was caught by German soldiers who had seen him walk in the cold wearing very little. The soldiers amused themselves by giving him an extra cold treatment, but he passed the test so well that he impressed them so much, that they began to admire him. They let him go. In their minds he was a Russian god.

That's a great little video. While I still like heat for healing, I know that cold has its place too. And it is true, we have gotten really far away from being able to survive in this world without peripherals and that is making us weak and susceptible to all kinds of diseases.

So, I think I might try the cold showers in the mornings to start the day. MIGHT is the operative term there!

thorbiorn said:

Wow, I feel cold just watching this. I had 3 pairs of socks on and 4 torso layers yesterday and it was only -1C, these guys are warriors!

Laura said:
thorbiorn said:

That's a great little video. While I still like heat for healing, I know that cold has its place too. And it is true, we have gotten really far away from being able to survive in this world without peripherals and that is making us weak and susceptible to all kinds of diseases.

So, I think I might try the cold showers in the mornings to start the day. MIGHT is the operative term there!

Yes, a great video. Reminds me of the Ice Man Wim Hof, who was discussed earlier in the thread:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,27112.msg337352.html#msg337352

Wim Hof has his own website:
http://www.icemanwimhof.com/en-home

He recently published his book called "Becoming The IceMan: Pushing Past Percieved Limits":
http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Iceman-Wim-Hof/dp/1937600467/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363197240&sr=1-1&keywords=becoming+the+iceman

Sounds like a pretty interesting book IMO. Here is the book description from Amazon:

Becoming the Iceman is a project inspired by Wim and Justin to show the world that anyone can adopt the ability to become an Iceman or Icewoman. The project's goal is to show that the ability to control the body's temperature is not a genetic defect in Wim, but an ability that can be adopted by everyone. For many generations, we have been taught to fear the cold:"Don't forget your jacket! You don't want hypothermia, do you?""Put your gloves on before you get frostbite!"Of course, these are consequences of extreme cold exposure, but with the proper understanding, anyone can learn to use the cold as a natural teacher.You may have seen Wim Hof on television running barefoot through the snow or swimming in ice-cold waters. While performing those incredible feats, Wim remained completely warm and comfortable the entire time! Wim is the epitome of what can happen if someone uses the cold to train the body. Like any new tool, you must understand how it works before you can use it efficiently. This pertains to the cold as well. You may be wondering, "How can you prove that anyone can learn this ability?Well, as of Fall 2009, Justin Rosales had no experience with the cold whatsoever. He was a college student attending Penn State University. After Justin's friend, Jarrett, showed him one of Wim's videos on You-Tube, he became exceedingly interested in understanding this ability. He wanted to see if it was possible for anyone to learn. In Spring 2010, after speaking to Wim for several months via email, Wim invited Justin to attend his workshop in Poland. After many weeks of working as a dishwasher, Justin was able to pay for the trip and learn the technique of the Iceman.With more training and countless experiences with the cold, Justin began to slowly adapt. The length of time he could remain exposed increased dramatically. He quickly realized that the technique to withstand the cold was, indeed, an ability that could be learned by everyone. This book tells the tale of Wim and Justin's journey to Becoming the Iceman!

And here are more details on the book from his own website:

Becoming the Iceman is a project inspired by Wim Hof and Justin Rosales to show the world that everyone is capable of controlling their body temperature through conditioning the mind and the body. It is all a matter of perception. Like any new tool, you must understand how it works before you can use it efficiently. This pertains to the cold as well. Wim is the epitome of what can happen if someone uses the cold to train the body — and now it is possible for you to do the same!

In this book you will learn the following:
- The story behind The Iceman (Wim Hof)
- How someone else (Justin Rosales) trained to become like The Iceman
- Exclusive methods and exercises to teach YOU how to become like The Iceman using a step-by-step guide!
- How to push past your perceived limits!

For many generations, we have been taught to fear the cold:
“Don’t forget your jacket! You don’t want hypothermia, do you?”
“Put your gloves on before you get frostbite!”

Of course, these are consequences of extreme cold exposure, but with the proper understanding, anyone can learn to use the cold as a natural teacher.

Questions:
What do we hope to accomplish with the book?

To inspire individuals to embrace the powerful positive affects of cold on the body.
To motivate people to live life to the fullest and fight to get past your presumed limits.
Is it possible for me, to become an Iceman/Icewoman?
Yes, when using the proper methods. This book provides all the necessary information to become just like The Iceman

Sounds like a interesting book, that might teach us some valuable techniques for cold adaptation...

Pashalis said:
Sounds like a pretty interesting book IMO. Here is the book description from Amazon:

Thanks for the links, sounds pretty :cool2:

website said:
Of course, these are consequences of extreme cold exposure, but with the proper understanding, anyone can learn to use the cold as a natural teacher.

Greetings, All
I have been following the conversation regarding potential investment in, or ownership of, a cryotherapy business in Toronto, or the US. I currently have a business plan that has captured good investment interest. I would like to connect with you to find out your interest in such a business in the NV or FLA areas.

Back
Top Bottom