Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

The same here. Good points, Leonarda, thanks for sharing. I was thinking about extent of people's ignorance regarding comfort state after the blizzard here, in Kamchatka, that left much snowdrifts and service utilities had problem with cleaning roads. People became so anger and unsatisfied...crying at each corner how it's difficult to wade through snowdrifts at narrow path. I was surprised.

Since october I take cold bath each other day and since last two months ago I have strange "upper back" warming, in area of scapulas, beetwen and around them. I think it occurs due to cold protocol. I have a though about DNA changes and so on, may be it's similar things, but I lean to brown fat appearing option. In details it is: I have breakfast right ~20 minutes after awakening (8:30 AM), it's most powerful part of my daily food. On the work place approximately to lunch time (13-14 PM) I feel that area I've described is really warming up. Usually it stops after lunch or two hours later. I have no idea what it may be.

Why exactly that area? I've noticed that while taking the bath exactly this area in addition to cooling with water is cooling with touching of metall of tube. Moreover, babies have brown fat in the same area..
Is it BF ressurection? :D Yet I want to ask if somebody has a similar effect?

Leonarda said:
I didn't know where to put this, I hope this is the right thread.
In order to fight resistance to cold adaptation, I found this passage of the book "A guide to the good life: the ancient art of stoic joy" by William Irvine, useful:

Why shoud we welcome even minor discomforts when it is possible to enjoy perfect comfort?In response to this question Musonius would point to three benefits to be derived from acts of voluntary discomfort:

To begin with, for example, choosing to be cold and hungry when we could be warm and feel fed, we harden ourselves against misfortunes that might befall us in the future. If all we know is comfort, we might be traumatized when we are forced to experience pain, as we someday almost surely will. In other words, voluntary discomfort can be thought of as a kind of vaccine: By exposing ourselves to a small amount of a weakened virus now, we create in ourselves an immunity that will protect us form a debilitationg illness in the future.

A second benefit comes not in the future but immediately. A person who periodically experiences minor discomforts will grow confident that he can withstand major discomforts as well, so the prospect of experiencing such discomforts at some future time will not, at present, be a source of anxiety from him, as Musonius says, he is "training himself to be courageous".

A third benefit is that it helps us appreciate what we already have . As Diogenes observed, we can greatly enhance our appreciation of any meal by waiting until we are hungry before we eat it. Musoniuos would argue that someone who tries to avoid all discomfort is less likely to be comfortable that someone who periodically embraces discomfort, because the latter individual is likely to have a much "wider comfort zone" than the former and will fell comfortable under circumstances that would cause the former individual considerable distress.(the strategy of avoiding discomfort at all costs is counterproductive)

Intense pleasures, when captured by us, become our captors, the more pleasures a man captures, "the more masters will he have to serve". After all, if we lack self-control, we are likely to be distracted by the various pleasures life has to offer, and in this distracted state we are unlikely to attain the goals of our philosophy of life.

Edit: spelling

Thanks for the reminder Leonarda.

It all reminded me of the movie "My Dinner with Andre". And the importance of connecting and staying Human.

My Dinner with Andre (1981)
Warning! This synopsis may contain spoilers.
_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082783/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn
In New York City, an actor/playwright agrees to have dinner with a theatre director who he has not seen, literally, for years. He is afraid of meeting with him because of the stories that he has heard about the director sobbing on a sidewalk and talking with trees. Obviously, something terrible had happened to him.

He meets with him at an expensive restaurant (he is given a coat and necktie to wear, since he is not dressed appropriately) and waits at the bar for his old friend to arrive.

Once Andre arrives, he hugs Wally, who feels that he is really in the theatre now. The staff at the restaurant know Andre well and seat the two immediately at a table that provides a fair amount of privacy.

Wally needs help understanding the menu, and Andre, with a sense of humour, helps him with the French cuisine. They both order quail.

Over the next 45 minutes or so, Andre tries to explain what has happened in his life. It seems that he has been on a fantastical journey of enlightenment. Wally mostly listens in disbelief.

Andre takes the viewer on adventures to the forests of Poland where he worked with a fellow experimental theatre director; to the Sahara with a Tibetan Buddhist monk; to a lush paradise of plants in an inhospitable region in the north of Scotland; to Montauk, Long Island, where he stayed on Richard Avedon's estate and took part in a rebirth ritual.

Andre had been involved in breaking free of the habits of mechanical, automatic living.

The dinner conversation ends with Wally challenging some of the methods and purpose of Andre's pursuits. He is confused, angry, and feels Andre has wasted years of his life. Wally is a pragmatic rationalist, to assign a label to him. He feels that Andre's magical thinking is ridiculous and can be harmful to both himself and others.

As Wally continues to verbally attack his former colleague, he begins to realise how confused he is about the stories that Andre has told him. In confronting his confusion, Wally begins to understand there may be other ways to view the world. There is no resolution in the conversation.

As he rides home in a taxi, an indulgence, he reflects on the evening's conversation as the city passes by the window. He recalls various events from his childhood that had taken place in this part of the City; however, he seems to be viewing everything in a slightly different way.
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzngIv6R400

I aim to also take a cold bath/shower regularly, but do not have the courage as yet. I have, however, for years and years rinsed my hair with cold water (after washing it with warm water, when the hair scales are open for good cleaning and conditioning). A cold water rinse closes the scales on the hair shaft and thus makes the hair smoother and shinier. Cold water also stimulates the blood circulation to the scalp, bringing more nutrients there, and cold water keeps the scalp healthier by closing the scalp pores and thus protecting it from dirt and so on - and it is said that closed scalp pores even aid in preventing hair loss.

So, the cold hair rinses for years have in a way helped to prepare me for the cold baths and showers, and for the past couple of months I have also been taking other steps in preparation:

The little computer gadget thingy that controls the geyser, I had reset to only switch on every second day for only one hour. This keeps the water not quite so hot and by the second day it has cooled down quite a bit, so I cannot have a warm shower even if I wanted to!

Also, I wear clothes that do not keep me comfortably warm, and I sleep under only a single sheet, wearing summer night clothes in all weather conditions (but with a light knitted throw-over handy just in case the early morning hours are really cold).

I try to wear no shoes indoors, keeping my feet cool; and I walk barefoot in the garden especially in the early morning after arising, when there is cool dew on the grass.

Soon, I think, I will be ready for those cold showers...

Leonarda said:
I didn't know where to put this, I hope this is the right thread.
In order to fight resistance to cold adaptation, I found this passage of the book "A guide to the good life: the ancient art of stoic joy" by William Irvine, useful:

Why shoud we welcome even minor discomforts when it is possible to enjoy perfect comfort?In response to this question Musonius would point to three benefits to be derived from acts of voluntary discomfort:

To begin with, for example, choosing to be cold and hungry when we could be warm and feel fed, we harden ourselves against misfortunes that might befall us in the future. If all we know is comfort, we might be traumatized when we are forced to experience pain, as we someday almost surely will. In other words, voluntary discomfort can be thought of as a kind of vaccine: By exposing ourselves to a small amount of a weakened virus now, we create in ourselves an immunity that will protect us form a debilitationg illness in the future.

A second benefit comes not in the future but immediately. A person who periodically experiences minor discomforts will grow confident that he can withstand major discomforts as well, so the prospect of experiencing such discomforts at some future time will not, at present, be a source of anxiety from him, as Musonius says, he is "training himself to be courageous".

A third benefit is that it helps us appreciate what we already have . As Diogenes observed, we can greatly enhance our appreciation of any meal by waiting until we are hungry before we eat it. Musoniuos would argue that someone who tries to avoid all discomfort is less likely to be comfortable that someone who periodically embraces discomfort, because the latter individual is likely to have a much "wider comfort zone" than the former and will fell comfortable under circumstances that would cause the former individual considerable distress.(the strategy of avoiding discomfort at all costs is counterproductive)

Intense pleasures, when captured by us, become our captors, the more pleasures a man captures, "the more masters will he have to serve". After all, if we lack self-control, we are likely to be distracted by the various pleasures life has to offer, and in this distracted state we are unlikely to attain the goals of our philosophy of life.

Edit: spelling

Very good summary, indeed.

Today saw this small article being suggested on FB. On one hand sounds too simplistic and too wondrous, on the other reminded me about the cold adaptation and how it's important for cold water to touch the back of the neck. Maybe this pressure point is the reason?

This Is What Happens When You Place An Ice Cube At This Point On Your Head

At the base of your skull on the neck there is a point known as Feng Fu. It’s a pressure point found at the base of the skull just below the bottom ridge of the skull cap at the top of the neck. If you put ice on it regularly, it triggers rejuvenation in your body.

Diseases seem to disappear and you find yourself more energetic and just plain happier.

Lie on your stomach and put an ice cube at the Feng Fu point. Leave it there for 20 minutes. You can also use a bandage to fix it in place if you’re on the go.

That is interesting. If I remember correctly, brown fat cells are found mainly on the top of the shoulders and the neck. I always make an effort to keep the cold water there.

Gaby said:
That is interesting. If I remember correctly, brown fat cells are found mainly on the top of the shoulders and the neck. I always make an effort to keep the cold water there.

Yep, here are some pics for reference:

fat3.jpg

brown_fat_web.jpg

Brownfat_PETCT.jpg

Looks like it's not necessary an 'exact science'. :P

Another excellent article on the benefits of Cold Adaptation.

Cold Thermogenesis 6: The Ancient Pathway

March 6, 2012 by Jack Kruse
_http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-6-the-ancient-pathway/

Readers Summary
1.How would you described the “Ancient Pathway” to a warm adapted human?
2.What are the steps in activating the Ancient Pathway?
3.Do you need high hormone levels to have big muscles and great power?
4.Can we eat small, exercise small, lift ridiculously large, live longer, and feel like superman?
5.Has our modern life kept optimal in our blind spot?

The best way to describe this pathway to the lay public is to explain this is how evolution allows for ideal form to meet function in a tough environment. This environment is likely the primordial environment for life on our planet. This makes astrophysicists excited, because life might also be evolving in places like Titan. After all 5 extinction events on this planet geologist have told us they were followed by an extended cold climate. In cold, mammals live longer. When it is cold, insulin does not work. When it is cold, the sympathetic nervous system dominates. You will find out more about why this happens in Energy and Epigenetics 4 and 5 blog posts.

The pathway uses very little energy from ATP and gives a whole lot to the organism who uses it. Fat burning is required and it is tied to a biochemical pathway that paleo forgot to speak about. Why? Because they no nothing about water chemistry. They believe this is story of food. It is not. Water acts differently in cold than it does in warm. And your cells, and mine, are filled to the brim with water. But it requires cold temperature to be present and used commonly. In the pathway, the less effort you give, the faster and more powerful you will be when this pathway is active. People who live in this pathway can run a marathon with no training. They can lift unreal amounts of weight with little training. Their reserve and recovery are just incredible. You have to see it to believe it. Many will say cold thermogenesis a hormetic process, when in reality it is created using a coherent energy source due to something called the Hall effect. When we have had extinction events on Earth before, the events usually affect the evaporation of water in some fashion from the surface of lakes and oceans. It also affects the transpiration from the forest trees, plants, and flowers and this change cools the air. You must understand how climatology works here; liquid water needs to absorb a lot of latent heat to in order to evaporate, so it sucks energy from the atmosphere to make this energy transfer. This loss of energy from the atmosphere directly cools the planet and this preserves the charge on life’s inner mitochondrial membrane and in the nanotubes present in our cells that contain water. This is how life lives long in the cold.

Those people don’t realize this because they do not live in this pathway for the majority of their life, and few studies have been done to say otherwise. The link above is recently added to this blog post. It seems science is now proving me correct in my theories of extinction events.

Few live in it commonly. And for those who do not live in it, well, no one believes it is possible. Everything about this pathway in the human brain is about optimal mammalian functioning. It is as good, as good gets. My entire life now consists about living within the confines of this pathway. Not everyone will choose too, but when they do get a taste of it, they are just bowled over. The more we induce it, the more beneficial it will be to our health and to our longevity especially when our environment is altered.

Welcome to the leptin-melanocortin pathway of eutherian mammals. Modern life allows us to live outside your biology and this pathway and this pathway brings you inside your optimal self. It is that simple. Optimal is for everyone who wants it. From today on, optimal is now a choice, and not a mystery to humans.

This is a very lengthy article and recommend going to the site. This will connect to some of the links related within it for added details and associated information in this discussion.

Side note:
Have worked up to two 10 sec. showers each morning give or take missing a day. Body continues to adapt with very little hyperventilating now, but also notice the head numbing effect still prevalent but subsides relatively quickly. Always feel almost giddy, with a giggling effect while toweling dry. Then with a twinkling the whole body fills with a rush of warmth and a glow.

I think that is this is where the the giggle effect kicks in. As if one responds to hearing some up lifting humor.

Today's temperature come out of the tap water is about 10 degree Celsius = 50 degree Fahrenheit.

But the real test would be too walking down to the village steam and trying a half body submerging (with the current flow temp. at 34 degree Fahrenheit = 1.1111111 degree Celsius).

I also needed to pick and choose my time as locals would not understand what was trying to be accomplished here.
Hey did see the American in his swim suit taking a bath.

American fou.................. :lol2:

Burrrrrrr, but will have to work up a least giving a try as long as i can stand it before the numbing effect sets in probably two, too five seconds at best FWIW.

Also maintaining a very mild climate in all the other chambers of the La Casa. So moving from the kitchen to the other rooms the skin will immediately prickle goose bumps.
Which is a different kind of beneficial body glow i guess and with the cold adaption of using cool air.

Od'aller rester vigilant.

Keit said:
Today saw this small article being suggested on FB. On one hand sounds too simplistic and too wondrous, on the other reminded me about the cold adaptation and how it's important for cold water to touch the back of the neck. Maybe this pressure point is the reason?

This Is What Happens When You Place An Ice Cube At This Point On Your Head

At the base of your skull on the neck there is a point known as Feng Fu. It’s a pressure point found at the base of the skull just below the bottom ridge of the skull cap at the top of the neck. If you put ice on it regularly, it triggers rejuvenation in your body.

Diseases seem to disappear and you find yourself more energetic and just plain happier.

Lie on your stomach and put an ice cube at the Feng Fu point. Leave it there for 20 minutes. You can also use a bandage to fix it in place if you’re on the go.

Thank you keit for bringing this up! As I have mentioned somewhere before my chinese doctor paid special attention to that point, too. He told me to keep it warm. He was in no way for cold adaption ;)

And this kind of answers my question I had today: Since the weather is getting warmer the water is getting warmer, too. So I was getting a little lazy with taking the showers. Standing 18 minutes under the shower is terrrrrible booooring! It was not onyl lazyness but in combination with my other living situations it caused me to made a break for 3-4 days twice, which I tried to repair with starting taking cold showers and bathes daily.

But with that icecube on the neck thats worth a try! Thank you! :flowers:

Yeah, it's getting warm and it's hard to get a cold shower in. However, I notice that even on full cold, the cool water is enough to get thermogenesis going. Even though it feels like I wasn't very cold, at the end of the shower I feel that warming feeling in my stomach. So it seems like it's still being activated.

From another thread:

Psalehesost said:
One warning, especially for those who shower inside a bath tub - regardless of temperature: Some shower heads can produce rather loud high frequency noise, and being in a bath tub can make this much worse (due to the acoustics). I used to bathe rather than shower, and when I do shower, it hurts my ears a bit unless I wear protection (stuffing something into my ears). Back in 2012, I didn't wear any protection while doing the cold showers, and after a few weeks, I noticed my sensitivity to higher frequencies had been reduced (permanently). Such hearing loss otherwise occurs as we age, but no sense accelerating the process - so if it's uncomfortably loud, pay attention.

I've noticed that too. After a long shower, I have a ringing in my ear (other than the tinnitus tone I always have). I put in those rubber ear plugs with a cord on the days I will take a long cold shower. It has helped with that ringing frequency after the shower.

c.a. said:
Have worked up to two 10 sec. showers each morning give or take missing a day. Body continues to adapt with very little hyperventilating now, but also notice the head numbing effect still prevalent but subsides relatively quickly. Always feel almost giddy, with a giggling effect while toweling dry. Then with a twinkling the whole body fills with a rush of warmth and a glow.
It's not advised to put the head directly under the cold water as this can be too much but I can't find the thread that discusses why. I think it is too much of a shock or it could affect you blood pressure. Maybe someone else can remember where it was talked about?

lainey said:
c.a. said:
It's not advised to put the head directly under the cold water as this can be too much but I can't find the thread that discusses why. I think it is too much of a shock or it could affect you blood pressure. Maybe someone else can remember where it was talked about?

Hi lainey,

I think this was mentioned in the discussions around Session October 11 2014, notably in this post from Laura. There are several other mentions throughout, though.

Palinurus said:
lainey said:
c.a. said:

Hi lainey,

I think this was mentioned in the discussions around Session October 11 2014, notably in this post from Laura. There are several other mentions throughout, though.
Nice, that was exactly it thanks!!!

In case anybody has chance to watch this before i do :)

Published on 16 Jul 2015

Inside the Superhuman World of the Iceman

Wim Hof first caught the attention of scientists when he proved he was able to use meditation to stay submerged in ice for 1 hour and 53 minutes without his core body temperature changing. Since then, he’s climbed Mount Everest in his shorts, resisted altitude sickness, completed a marathon in the Namib Desert with no water and proven under a laboratory setting that he’s able to influence his autonomic nervous system and immune system at will.

Almost everything Wim has done was previously thought to be impossible - but he’s not a freak of nature.

To demonstrate that any human can learn his methods, Wim offered to teach Matt Shea and Daisy-May Hudson to climb a freezing cold mountain in their shorts without getting cold. But when Matt and Daisy signed up for the training, they had no idea that the so-called Iceman was planning to lead them on a psychedelic journey across Europe that circled the chasm between science, spirituality and mystery.

https://youtu.be/VaMjhwFE1Zw?list=PLxyQH-R7WSqWmYahmDELZE9lEwvi5hNVs

Back
Top Bottom