Lies, damn lies, & Holy Scripture (part 2?)

SoCurious

Jedi Master
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the article "Lies, damn lies, & Holy Scripture". Was part 2 written and if so where could I find it?

Many thanks.

I really wish I could....it was a SOTT Focus article but the link no longer works. In some other thread the link was given which I followed to irishrepublic.com but I can't remember the thread. Trying to find the article on irishrepublic is really difficult as the search function doesn't seem to be very good. I saved the page but of course the link points to my desktop :(

I understand the article was written by a forum member but I don't wish to use his real name.

No, it's not available. The author had a break-down following the writing of it. I think it was too much for him.

Oh wow! Such a good piece and you can see the effort he put into it. I'm terribly sorry for the consquences he suffered as a result of his scholastic abilities and brutal honesty.

Just noticed part 1 was copied on IrishPublic.com's site at: _http://www.irishpublic.com/2011/11/sott-focus-lies-damned-lies-and-holy-scripture/
(also noticed it is copied at bibliotecapleyades _http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/mistic/religionsplanetearth36.htm)

FYI,
Gonzo

Richard said:
Oh wow! Such a good piece and you can see the effort he put into it. I'm terribly sorry for the consquences he suffered as a result of his scholastic abilities and brutal honesty.

Some people, apparently, can't handle the truth. Part II turned into a mish-mash of confusion that was impossible to read.

Gonzo said:
Just noticed part 1 was copied on IrishPublic.com's site at: _http://www.irishpublic.com/2011/11/sott-focus-lies-damned-lies-and-holy-scripture/
(also noticed it is copied at bibliotecapleyades _http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/mistic/religionsplanetearth36.htm)

FYI,
Gonzo
Laura said:
Richard said:

Some people, apparently, can't handle the truth. Part II turned into a mish-mash of confusion that was impossible to read.

Thanks to Richard for bringing this thread and to Gonzo for giving the article's links, which is really worth reading.

I guess the hard to swallow truth might have something to do with this (an excerpt from the article) :

"Destructive violence and creative transformation are potentially very important, if not absolutely necessary, to our own psychological and spiritual development, and we certainly find this theme here and there in the Bible. But these ideas have been watered-down and literalized there, as well as in our Biblically-oriented culture, for people like us who don't really appreciate the profound personal cost such creative transformation actually involves.

Destruction and creative transformation are, after all - if it's fair to say so - alchemical ideas to do with the development of a soul; and the activation of the level of reality which stands behind these ideas demands sincerity.

However, in a culture like ours, ruled and undergirded by the Bible, Biblical propaganda suffuses more or less everyone's thinking.

Lies prevail, and thus the path to sincerity is dangerously undercut before anyone even sets foot on it.

Well, those are rather depressing thoughts.

But wait, there's more! With the Bible we've got a whole blueprint for disaster..."

Laura said:
Does this mean he couldn't deal with the very truths he was writing about? If so, wow! Because he made some excellent points which reminded me of what you wrote here: http://paleochristianity.org/blog/2009/12/
Just so you know, “The Lost Gospel” is a very matter-of-fact book with some boring patches, so I wasn’t prepared for the effect it had on me, the sudden eye-opening, the jarring awake, the realization that even atheists in Western culture are atheists in the context of Judao-Christianity! It was the damnedest thing I’ve ever seen when my eyes opened to this contextual problem of our perception.

Very sobering indeed. :(

eoste said:
<snip>

I guess the hard to swallow truth might have something to do with this (an excerpt from the article) :

"Destructive violence and creative transformation are potentially very important, if not absolutely necessary, to our own psychological and spiritual development, and we certainly find this theme here and there in the Bible. <snip>

Very astute of you. Indeed, it was that theme that took him down. Coming face to face with the necessity of positive disintegration, he rejected it and sought solace in a warm and fuzzy narrative of lies and distortions. Interestingly, there was a strong flavor of schizodia that came out which suggested a weak and shifting substratum, as Lobaczewski refers to it.

Laura
Coming face to face with the necessity of positive disintegration, he rejected it and sought solace in a warm and fuzzy narrative of lies and distortions. Interestingly, there was a strong flavor of schizodia that came out which suggested a weak and shifting substratum, as Lobaczewski refers to it.

Ah Laura I am so sorry to hear this about the author--he seemed a gentle soul. :-[

It brings to mind the quote from Matthew 7:14 that you referred to in Amazing Grace I think, and at other times:

Matthew 7:14
strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

shellycheval

His theme about how the Bible has shaped Western culture is right on. Indeed, this can be seen if literature, movies, politics. Even Ayn Rand, cold-hearted atheist that she was, used the plot of one man struggling alone against great odds, eventually succeeding bringing a new world.

It's like a web, present by not quite visible. A mold into which our thinking has been poured.

Hope the author can find a way to start again from a firmer foundation.

Mac

Mac said:
His theme about how the Bible has shaped Western culture is right on. Indeed, this can be seen if literature, movies, politics. Even Ayn Rand, cold-hearted atheist that she was, used the plot of one man struggling alone against great odds, eventually succeeding bringing a new world.

It's like a web, present by not quite visible. A mold into which our thinking has been poured.

Which idea he got from me and it was his job to expand on it.

Mac said:
Hope the author can find a way to start again from a firmer foundation.

Mac

I doubt that will be possible. Many issues came up during his break-down including evidence of a very covert meanness and selfishness at his foundation. In other words, at the root of such things is generally self-ish-ness - a strong compulsion to serve the self with anything and everything. Even monks who make great sacrifices generally do it to "get salvation."

Back
Top Bottom