Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Chu said:
For a few days, I was having cramps, dizziness, etc. Then Laura read to us this morning some of the advice that M. Emmerich gives (I haven't read the whole book yet). I took a few of those, and surprise! I feel great! I'm drinking a fatty shake this minute, with no problem. I even had energy to work out! I think the main problem was that I wasn't having enough salt.

So, yeah, so far, it helps to easy the symptoms, and according to her, you don't need them all the time, but only when you have a bit of trouble, or when you are starting and have the "keto-flu". But you do want to read the reasons for why each supplement is important, so that you can choose better and dose them accordingly.

She also recommends drinking lots of water, and it does seem to make a big difference for those who tend to forget and drink more tea. You are supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. E.g. if you weigh 100 pounds, you have to drink 50 oz of water per day.

And, if you are just starting, try out the cold showers, or soaking your legs, neck and face in cold water after a hot shower. In my experience at least, that helps a lot with the transition too, and even afterwards. If you have a routine and get to see the benefits on the long run, it's not a torture anymore. ;)
I had a similar experience, dizziness and exhaustion whilst out walking, and recently I'd cut down on both the amount of salt and water that I was consuming. So, basically I was dehydrated. Reading M. Emmerich's book, put it all back into perspective, still on the path to recovery, and I'll be restoring some supplements that I'd stopped too, along with more salt and potassium - and even more water and fat.

I'm back in protein-restricted Keto-mode for 1 week now (before it was merely "low carb"). Which means: zero explicit carbs (only those residual carbs that are contained in meat, coconut cream, butter, etc.), and a maximum of 90 grams protein per day (I weigh 73 kg). If I get hungry or feel weak, I have more delicious "Fat Bombs" (about 110 g fat per serving).

In the first days of protein-restriction, I got flu-like symtoms, i.e. pains in joints, headaches, brain fog, diarrhea, and felt a bit depressed. I counteracted with ALA and NAC to detoxify, which worked well. Still, I couldn't have more than half a Fat Bomb without feeling nauseous.

The nauseous feeling went away after about 4 days. Yesterday I had just 1 burger and ate 3 fat bombs (morning, noon, afternoon, 300 g fat total!). I digested them very well without nausea. My mood has gotten better than in the last months where I merely ate "low carb". Brain fog went away completely and brain feels crystal clear. I did a weight lifting workout yesterday, with good performance.

To supply additional fat, I drink black tea with about 100ml of Coconut Cream, and when I do, my stomach really enjoys it, gives a 'cozy' feeling. It seems that digestion has to adapt to Coconut fat, but after a few days, it metabolizes it very rapidly. Apparently, no bile salts are needed to digest medium chain triglycerides (MCT).

I'm very happy with the results.

Sounds good, Data. I find that I'm often too lazy to determine the amount of protein in my servings. At one point I weighed the meat I was eating, hoping that I would develop an "eye" for what's enough. But I admit, that I fell of that wagon pretty fast. Your post reminded me of the importance of this aspect!

Have you found a good way to measure the protein contents? I remember seeing somewhere a website with images of different servings and their approximate protein content, but I can't seem to find it now.

Data, I am glad you mentioned your coconut problems, because I made the custard yesterday and felt *very funny* after trying a small amount. This was kind of a bummer, since it's really delicious! This morning I tried again and felt much better! Keeping it to small portions, still.

Husband keeps saying that since coconut is not native to where we were born, we digest it differently, or, our genetic profile is not really used to it (this is more my take). This didn't prevent him however to eat a copious amount yesterday, hehe ;)

M.T,

Aragorn said:
Have you found a good way to measure the protein contents? I remember seeing somewhere a website with images of different servings and their approximate protein content, but I can't seem to find it now.

Perhaps it was the Ketogenic Diet – Protein and Carb Counter for Dummies

It has the images of servings and protein content. Then, a synthesis:

A 3-ounce piece of meat has approximately 21 grams of protein. The protein content in grams based on a 3-ounce serving is as follows:

Egg (medium): 6g
Bacon, 1 slice: 3 g
Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice : 5 g
Fish: 21 g
Roast beef: 28 g
Roast chicken: 25 g
Other meats (average): 25 g
Sausage: 12 g
Ham: 18 g
Beef burger: 20 g
Corned beef: 26 g
Liver: 23 g
Sirloin steak: 24 g
Turkey: 25 g
Shrimp: 18-21 g
Cod: 19 g
Tuna: 22 g
Ground beef (regular): 23 g
Ground beef (lean): 24 g
Spareribs (lean): 22 g
Chicken breast: 25 g
Lobster: 17 g
Salmon: 22 g
Duck (roasted): 24 g
Lamb: 24 g

Protein content in 100 grams (3.5 oz) of:

Rabbit 23 g
Veal 20.7 g
Liver 20.5 g
Serrano ham 30.5 g
Cooked ham 18.4 g
Chicken slices 21.8 g
Turkey without bone and skin 21.9 g
Clam 10.7 g
Squid 17 g
Octopus 10.6 g
Shrimps 20.1 g
Anchovies 17.6 g
Tuna (Bonito) 21
Sole 16.5 g
Trout 15.7 g
Sardines 18.1 g
Horse meat 20 g
Veal 20 g
Organs 20 g
Pork 20 g
Lamb 20 g

10 grams of protein in:

75 grams of white fish
115 grams of oysters
75 grams of blue fish
40 grams of sausage
40 grams of bacon
70 grams of paté
80 grams of foie gras

It can be bothersome, but it takes just a few days of weighting stuff and getting a feeling of their protein content, that way people can find out if they are eating too much protein. :)

I'm still reading the new recommended material and finding it fascinating, learning from the experience of others and finding out that others have gone through similar troubleshooting and conclusions as discussed here in the forum. So it is an objective science! ;)

The coconut custard has made a lot of difference for me as I never grew a passion for the bone broth. But I noticed that now I crave bone broth as my palate has gotten too sensitive for the sweet taste. For now, I'm putting less sweetener to the custard and enjoying it a lot. :thup:

I can definitely vouch for increasing salt intake helping with cramps,dizziness and frequent urination. Upping the fat has helped tremendously, & I've also found slippery elm (a mucilaginous herb, readily available) fantastic for healing the gut.

What is Slippery Elm?

Slippery elm is a tree native to North America and it is the inner bark that has the medicinal value. Slippery elm, or slippery elm bark, contains mucilage, complex carbohydrates, tannins, calcium oxalate, phytosterols, sesquiterpenes, flavenoids, salicylic acid, capric acid, caprylic acid, decanoic acid, and vitamin E. The mucilage is a demulcent and emollient. Tannins are typically used as astringents to treat weeping skin lesions, diarrhea, or bleeding. The tannins also help to tighten and constrict tissue. Mucilage is a slippery, sticky, and soothing substance that often has a high nutritional value, as it does in slippery elm.

Benefits of Slippery Elm

Slippery elm is a demulcent, emollient, expectorant, and diuretic. Demulcent means that it is soothing, softening, buffering, and has poison-drawing qualities. This herb has a number of health benefits. It helps to neutralise stomach acids, boost the adrenal glands, draw out impurities, and heal all parts of the body. The mucilage coats the mouth, oesophagus, and gastrointestinal tract with a slick residue. It soothes the inflammation of ulcers in the stomach and duodenum and helps to provide a barrier between the ulcer and stomach acid. It soothes irritations or ulcerations in the stomach and intestines and is good for helping with gastrointestinal conditions.

Slippery elm can help to soothe a sore throat, alleviate the pain of colic or stomach ulcers, and relieve inflammatory bowel conditions. Slippery elm helps with digestion and cleanses the colon. It is particularly helpful for easing a cough and soothing a sore throat as it coats the area and reduces irritation. Slippery elm is a tonic that benefits the adrenal glands, respiratory system, and the gastrointestinal tract. Used topically, slippery elm can relieve minor injuries such as burns, cold sores, razor burns, scrapes, and sunburn.

Other things that slippery elm can help with include:

abscesses
asthma
bronchitis
burns
colitis
constipation
coughs
nappy rash
diarrhea
_http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/article/slippery_elm#ixzz2zFHEvnft

Minas Tirith said:
Husband keeps saying that since coconut is not native to where we were born, we digest it differently, or, our genetic profile is not really used to it (this is more my take). This didn't prevent him however to eat a copious amount yesterday, hehe ;)

Yes, coconut doesn't seem to be 'natural' to Westerners, but I began to tolerate it very well, but only after 4 days of persisting! :D

Data said:
To supply additional fat, I drink black tea with about 100ml of Coconut Cream, and when I do, my stomach really enjoys it, gives a 'cozy' feeling. It seems that digestion has to adapt to Coconut fat, but after a few days, it metabolizes it very rapidly. Apparently, no bile salts are needed to digest medium chain triglycerides (MCT).

I thought it's not recommended to mix water and fat because water dulutes digesting juice in stomach. Konstantin Monastyrsky recommended in Fiber Menace to drink water not earlier than 2-4 hours after and 1 hour before a meal. Or is it too strict?

Data said:
flu-like symtoms

Potassium helps, too. Thanks to Maria (Emmrich) I was prepared!

We should have a Ketosis Smiley here. Maybe an energized one waving a red strip? ;)

M.T.

Altair said:
Data said:

I thought it's not recommended to mix water and fat because water dulutes digesting juice in stomach. Konstantin Monastyrsky recommended in Fiber Menace to drink water not earlier than 2-4 hours after and 1 hour before a meal. Or is it too strict?

I think this is totally unnecessary as long as:
A) You're eating the right foods
B) You don't eat too much
C) You don't drink too much water in one go.

Dizziness etc..

Perhaps y'all have been cutting down on bone broth due to the introduction of the fat bomb? It still should be drank every day if possible IMO for the excellent mineral content.

Data said:
Minas Tirith said:

Yes, coconut doesn't seem to be 'natural' to Westerners, but I began to tolerate it very well, but only after 4 days of persisting! :D

Coconut used to give me severe pain in my neck lymph nodes, however this seems to have improved greatly in the past few months, and since trying this new fat bomb idea. The only problem is, in large amounts, it now gives me constipation. Does anyone else experience this? I probably need more gut healing, thanks for the suggestion of slippery elm Arwenn.

Data said:

I'm very happy with the results.

I'd also like to ask what are your experiences at the chateau with caffeine on this super-keto diet? I enjoy it very much through tea occasionally, but that it can sometimes cause brain fog and over-excitability even in small doses. On the flip side, when I come off it completely (even for weeks afterwards), my mood, self-esteem, motivation and sociability decrease. I noticed in October that many of you there drink caffeinated beverages such as tea or mate throughout the day and it doesn't seem to cause issues.

Chu said:
For a few days, I was having cramps, dizziness, etc. Then Laura read to us this morning some of the advice that M. Emmerich gives (I haven't read the whole book yet). I took a few of those, and surprise! I feel great! I'm drinking a fatty shake this minute, with no problem. I even had energy to work out! I think the main problem was that I wasn't having enough salt.

So, yeah, so far, it helps to easy the symptoms, and according to her, you don't need them all the time, but only when you have a bit of trouble, or when you are starting and have the "keto-flu". But you do want to read the reasons for why each supplement is important, so that you can choose better and dose them accordingly.

She also recommends drinking lots of water, and it does seem to make a big difference for those who tend to forget and drink more tea. You are supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. E.g. if you weigh 100 pounds, you have to drink 50 oz of water per day.

And, if you are just starting, try out the cold showers, or soaking your legs, neck and face in cold water after a hot shower. In my experience at least, that helps a lot with the transition too, and even afterwards. If you have a routine and get to see the benefits on the long run, it's not a torture anymore. ;)

I'm glad you're better Chu!

I've been feeling like that too since I moved and changed my diet. I think a lot comes from too much protein and not enough fat, but maybe there are other things that need to be re-balanced. I'll have a look at that book! :)

Laura said:
awakener said:
Hey Arwenn, sounds like you are doing great. Something that helped me was that "Bulletproof Coffee" idea. We don't get it in South Africa, so I make it like this:

1) cup of hot coffee
2) 50g butter
3) about 50ml coconut cream

chuck it in the blender / thermomix and blitz it until it emulsifies.

I would avoid the coffee if at all possible as it tends to stimulate insulin all by itself and has been shown to have gluten like effects.

I (re-)eliminated coffee completely now for over a week and switched to "bullet proof hot chocolate", which does the trick even better. Energy levels are MUCH better now. Thanks for the reminder about coffee, eliminating it really improved things over here. My take on it now after having eliminated coffee, than re-introduced it and now eliminated it again is that the bullet-proof thing may help at the beginning with fat-consumption, but coffee is just plain addictive for me and messes with my whole system.

luc said:
Laura said:
awakener said:
Hey Arwenn, sounds like you are doing great. Something that helped me was that "Bulletproof Coffee" idea. We don't get it in South Africa, so I make it like this:

1) cup of hot coffee
2) 50g butter
3) about 50ml coconut cream

chuck it in the blender / thermomix and blitz it until it emulsifies.

I would avoid the coffee if at all possible as it tends to stimulate insulin all by itself and has been shown to have gluten like effects.

I (re-)eliminated coffee completely now for over a week and switched to "bullet proof hot chocolate", which does the trick even better. Energy levels are MUCH better now. Thanks for the reminder about coffee, eliminating it really improved things over here. My take on it now after having eliminated coffee, than re-introduced it and now eliminated it again is that the bullet-proof thing may help at the beginning with fat-consumption, but coffee is just plain addictive for me and messes with my whole system.

I replaced coffee with guarana powder. But guarana actually contains a lot of coffein, so now I'm not sure whether it is coffein that is bad for us or other substances from coffee?

/found a "Ketogenic Diet for Athletes"
_https://docs.google.com/document/d/12-4OoCg1pciaHyJnMqfar67Y1ag55QaY8rm7vfhPr-4

This is a summary of the most important points and arguments of the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance", by Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney.

Back
Top Bottom