Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Taking about 5-7 650mg betaine's and a couple of ox biles per meal which is protien followed by fatbomb but am still getting the squirts. Luckily I managed to get to use a clients toilet before there was an accident. I'm also experiencing frequent emotional 'ups' and 'downs' which are annoying and I dont know what is really behind it - usually its fatigue.

Jamie

Hey Mugatea,

Obviously you need to pay attention to what your body is telling you but just so you don't feel alarmed, i had toilet issues for weeks - and i suspect this was everything from, the fat bomb, to my magnesium intake. On top of that, i slept for like 2 hours most nights before i woke up wide awake or bursting for a pee :) Actually *TMI alert*, at one point, both number 1 & 2 were the same colour and consistency - egg yokes.

You may have the sleeplessness to come, or you're healing could be different depending on your issues and the extent of the damage to your gut, hormones, inflammation etc.. For example, i was suffering from acute anxiety (antagonized by my job and living situation), due to stress and life trauma, with insomnia to boot; now i can settle much easier in the evening and stress doesn't lead to constant jolts of adrenaline (which used to make me feel poisoned).

So if you're feeling like you're on an emotional rollercoaster, it could be your hormones readjusting; it could also be the emotional cravings you used to get satisfied from food - if i remember correctly, didn't you say you missed the gratification you used to get from eating? And that you've been looking elsewhere for the reward?

I've noticed since starting keto that I've been shopping to replace the high I got from eating

As with any crutch, once you replace the unhealthy habit with a healthy habit, this should no longer be an issue, and like many here, you'll find that not thinking about food is ultimately liberating.

I transitioned when i wasn't working so i didn't have the nightmare of always being on the look out for a toilet, there are ways to mitigate it, perhaps by working up the fat, but from everything you've written, it sounds like you have a handle on it :) Keep on, keepin on!

added: if you've also begun EE, which i think you said you had, then this has emotional releases involved.

Thanks for your reply. Will just keep chugging along.

I was wondering how people are with their protein count. Do you worry about going over? I don't want to break Keto and I pretty sure I been in it for weeks just I'm still adapting to it. I'm 5'10" 65kg and eat around 60g sometimes 70g of protein but worry about going over that and I expect it's quite a common worry.

Do you eat the recommended amount of protein or do you do what I do and leave a wee margin just to make sure you dont break keto?

Jamie

mugatea, I personally try to stay under 30 gr of protein per meal as that as been recommanded for other reasons than just stay in ketosis.

I sometime indulge myself (less and less often hopefully) and do take 40 or 50 gr in one meal. According to my ketone meter (when I mesure I do it 2 hours after meal) that does not put me out of ketosis. (I weight 78 kg and don't do any particular physical activity at the moment)

I don't think diarrhea is a condition that will help with healing, so I don't understand the attitude here that diarrhea is "just a ketoadaption symptom". I would think that preventing it would speed up the healing process and end the discomfort sooner.

Well Im still adapting to the diet and my body isnt able to deal with the fat on its own hence the 5-7 betaines and couple of ox biles per meal.

mugatea said:
thanks,

so what does that work out per day (all meals)

The general recommendation is 0.8 - 1g of protein per kg of (lean) body weight, if you are mostly sedentary. If you perform heavy labour you might need up to 2g/ kg of weight.

On top of that you should limit your protein intake per meal to a max of approximately 35g, not to stimulate your mTOR system (which has a similar function for protein like insulin has for carbs).

Hope that helps!

nicklebleu said:
mugatea said:
thanks,

so what does that work out per day (all meals)

The general recommendation is 0.8 - 1g of protein per kg of (lean) body weight, if you are mostly sedentary. If you perform heavy labour you might need up to 2g/ kg of weight.

On top of that you should limit your protein intake per meal to a max of approximately 35g, not to stimulate your mTOR system (which has a similar function for protein like insulin has for carbs).

Hope that helps!

Yes, that is what I generally follow (2 meals a day / 30 gr of protein per day) for probably 65 kg of lean body weight.

When I start to "cheat" it is hard to stop so I could be up to 100 gr a day for 2 or 3 days. It is mainly because it is hard to stop when I start to "cheat" that I want and I do "cheat" less often.

Also, I am trying to stay in ketosis for more than a year now and I have my ketone meter only since a few month. It was more dificult not to cheat at the begining so I assume that if you eat to much protein in a meal when you start the keto diet you could be put out of ketosis more easily.

well that sounds like what I'm doing. Since sunday I've really upped my fat, so two meals a day something like a small steak/peice of pork belly (30g of protien) followed by a fat bomb which is about 90g fat and a bone broth. So thats all good. What isnt good is that yesterday I had the runs pretty bad which is a nightmare cause I'm a dog walker and dont have access most of the time to a toilet. Last night there was discomfort in my stomach along with the runs and today as of writing this (8 am) I still have that discomfort today along with the runs even though my last meal was 5pm yesterday. I AM taking betaine - 5-7 capsules per meal - my stomach is making weird sounds as I write this and I dont know what I'm meant to do now. Do I continue eating? If I was a dog I would be starved for 24 hours to dry out. I'm also getting v. depressed and down, fed up, crabbit and being an arse to those I care about. There is only so many times I can apologise for it to be accepted.

Jamie (depressed and squirty)

mugatea said:
I'm also getting v. depressed and down, fed up, crabbit and being an arse to those I care about. There is only so many times I can apologise for it to be accepted.

I'm feeling terribly up and down too :( and out of control. I hope it goes away soon, I was a super happy camper when I was a sugar eater and now I have lost my zest and zing. With all the info we have it's easy not to buy a bag of mixed lollies and forget about keto but those were the good ole days as far as I'm concerned right now.
And not to mention how this makes me feel like I'm above everyone and quietly criticising and judging people for their choices... I never used to be like this, I was all accepting and free loving and now I'm just a cow with a major attitude problem. Mooooo. My family are sick of me and just want me to eat a donut or something.

Thx Fluffy.

How long have you been doing it (about 5 weeks for me)? It is good to know that this might just be part of the adapting. I think my bowels are inflamed, there is defo discomfort and I've been lucky while dog walking today that I managed to get to a toilet fast on 3 occasions. BAd bad bad.

It's just occurred to me that the gut plays a huge part in our moods and I wordering that this depression I've sunk into is related to my bowel discomfort/diarrhea?

Jamie

Fluffy said:
mugatea said:
I'm also getting v. depressed and down, fed up, crabbit and being an arse to those I care about. There is only so many times I can apologise for it to be accepted.

I'm feeling terribly up and down too :( and out of control. I hope it goes away soon, I was a super happy camper when I was a sugar eater and now I have lost my zest and zing. With all the info we have it's easy not to buy a bag of mixed lollies and forget about keto but those were the good ole days as far as I'm concerned right now.
And not to mention how this makes me feel like I'm above everyone and quietly criticising and judging people for their choices... I never used to be like this, I was all accepting and free loving and now I'm just a cow with a major attitude problem. Mooooo. My family are sick of me and just want me to eat a donut or something.

You might have to take it a bit easier on the fat - it takes a little while for your system to change over from absorbing carbs/ proteins to absorbing mainly fat. When I started, I had "the runs" too, so I cut back on the fat and ate mainly bone broth for fat - for some reason it seemed to be easier to digest. I probably would leave the fat bombs for the moment, or really only take a few spoonfuls at the time, and once your system has adapted, you can "up the dose".

It is also fairly common to feel crap when transiting from carbs to ketosis - don't forget, you have to retool your whole machine, after many years of carb metabolism this can take some time. Also your gut may need to heal, which again can take quite a long time.

And of course your family won't run with the Program, that's just one of the things you will have to accept (the General Law rearing it's ugly head). Of course you can try to accommodate your family, but unfortunately external consideration only goes some way in this respect. Best strategy I was using is to make a joke about myself, about my idiosyncrasies and loving a complicated life - this may or may not work for you.

Of course you were a happy camper on carbs - most of us were. But wait until your system has readapted, you'll be happy again - and more!

So to summarize: Easy does it, be patient, and you need to push through these unpleasant few weeks - it's going to get better!

Early on in the ketogenesis experiments bone broth was determined non-optional because it was so beneficial. As far as I know that's still the case, even if the point hasn't been reiterated much lately. You really want to heal the gut as soon as possible, since without a healthy gut the body can't adapt to any diet.

When I started the diet, I had the opposite problem, unremitting constipation. I ended up using magnesium and vitamin C as a stool softener. Then the winter came and we couldn't afford to buy more magnesium, and so when I hesitantly stopped, I was elated to find things working much better. This was also after the point that I started using a boric acid supplement like in the Arthritis thread, which I suspect had a role in healing my gut beyond the other supplements.

nicklebleu said:
Fluffy said:
mugatea said:

You might have to take it a bit easier on the fat - it takes a little while for your system to change over from absorbing carbs/ proteins to absorbing mainly fat. When I started, I had "the runs" too, so I cut back on the fat and ate mainly bone broth for fat - for some reason it seemed to be easier to digest. I probably would leave the fat bombs for the moment, or really only take a few spoonfuls at the time, and once your system has adapted, you can "up the dose".

It is also fairly common to feel crap when transiting from carbs to ketosis - don't forget, you have to retool your whole machine, after many years of carb metabolism this can take some time. Also your gut may need to heal, which again can take quite a long time.

And of course your family won't run with the Program, that's just one of the things you will have to accept (the General Law rearing it's ugly head). Of course you can try to accommodate your family, but unfortunately external consideration only goes some way in this respect. Best strategy I was using is to make a joke about myself, about my idiosyncrasies and loving a complicated life - this may or may not work for you.

Of course you were a happy camper on carbs - most of us were. But wait until your system has readapted, you'll be happy again - and more!

So to summarize: Easy does it, be patient, and you need to push through these unpleasant few weeks - it's going to get better!
My experience is that transition to ketodiet is a bit difficult. But now I know I can be practically without ingesting carbohydrates. Programming about diet and lifestyle is very strong, at least here _ where I live. Meetings with family, friends, work, travel, parties, celebrations ... almost everything is associated with gastronomy.

I can not say that I have solved all questions about diet, but I've already gone part of the way. Over time my family is forgetting my diet a little and stops constantly pressuring me to desist, especially in relation to bread. I also lunch at work, with my companions, being the target of their questions, jokes, uncomprehending faces ... but eventually they accept it and always want to taste and share my food ... although I can not eat theirs. Sometimes I have to be awake because they almost eat all my food !! :D

I think all these dietary changes take some changes in our surroundings and that alters our mood, in addition to physiological changes.
I also believe that remove some toxins accumulated in the body before being eliminated affects mood. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a questions. Where do you buy blood ketones strips ? These are very expensive in Spain, 39 € ten test strips for the meter Menarini in pharmacies.
Thanks for your guidance

Back
Top Bottom