Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Ariadna said:
Sometimes I have to be awake because they almost eat all my food !! :D

You must be a good cook. Can you refer to some of the recipes you use?

ok this might be a bit gross but I wonder if relevant...

Still got diarrhea and a tender stomach but not sure what is inflamed and a moment ago just had a look at the toilet to see my poo. It was just soft brown poo a bit like tar that had sank to the bottom and I could see small bubbles floating from it to the surface of the water a bit like champagne but not nearly as many. Now googling "bubbles in poo" I'm getting info about a intestinal bacteria imbalance and the bad stuff is competing against the good stuff. Also a mention of food fermenting and I wonder if that is more accurate and my stomach acid levels are still way to low to digest the food even with the 5-7 betaines I take with every meal

Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts?

monotonic said:
Ariadna said:
Sometimes I have to be awake because they almost eat all my food !! :D

You must be a good cook. Can you refer to some of the recipes you use?

Yes, of course and you'll often adapt to your liking.
These are often simple things like grilled sausages and vegetables with a little butter and some thyme and salt. I will write them on keto recipe topic.

mugatea said:
ok this might be a bit gross but I wonder if relevant...

Still got diarrhea and a tender stomach but not sure what is inflamed and a moment ago just had a look at the toilet to see my poo. It was just soft brown poo a bit like tar that had sank to the bottom and I could see small bubbles floating from it to the surface of the water a bit like champagne but not nearly as many. Now googling "bubbles in poo" I'm getting info about a intestinal bacteria imbalance and the bad stuff is competing against the good stuff. Also a mention of food fermenting and I wonder if that is more accurate and my stomach acid levels are still way to low to digest the food even with the 5-7 betaines I take with every meal

Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts?
:hug2: hang in there, I've read your older posts here as well. I was the opposite, I was totally constipated for days and it sucked. Then when I started eating more butter the bottom would just drop out of me. My insides don't like butter, at all. I feel your pain! I'm still trying to find the right balance of protein and fat. I need to get myself into a routine of weighing what I eat so I know I'm not getting too much. As with any addiction it is tough to find the will power to keep going and to not pick up a bag of crisps. So when you say you were feeling down and crabby I sympathise with you, you are not alone! You may have to find the odd bush while dog walking though. At least you are outside. I work in the stockroom of a shoe shop in the centre of Edinburgh and sometimes I have to get up 2 flights of stairs really fast while trying not to make eye contact with customers in case they ask me for something and I'm like "seriously, I can't help you right now" :shock:
Not sure if this will help but I find I digest any meat I eat much better if I boil it instead of oven cooking it but I think that only works for constipation and not diarrhea.

haha thx. Dont remind me of the bushes, that was last week! I'm feeling more optimistic that once I sort out the digestive problem then it will be plain sailing then on.

There seems to be a few Scots on this board. I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was higher than normal - we are a clever bunch!

mugatea said:
haha thx. Dont remind me of the bushes, that was last week! I'm feeling more optimistic that once I sort out the digestive problem then it will be plain sailing then on.

There seems to be a few Scots on this board. I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was higher than normal - we are a clever bunch!
Well, I wouldn't say I was clever. Durable perhaps ;) We can take on the lizzies john smeaton style :lol:

mugatea said:
Thx Fluffy.

How long have you been doing it (about 5 weeks for me)? It is good to know that this might just be part of the adapting. I think my bowels are inflamed, there is defo discomfort and I've been lucky while dog walking today that I managed to get to a toilet fast on 3 occasions. BAd bad bad.

It's just occurred to me that the gut plays a huge part in our moods and I wordering that this depression I've sunk into is related to my bowel discomfort/diarrhea?

Jamie
Apparently 80% of serotonin is made in the guts.
I have had probems on the other end of the scale with constipation for most my adult life.
It's better by about 50% now but sometimes I have the runs and then just back off my magnesium and it dries up... There's a fine balance though because if it dries up too much I get constipated again.

I've been doing keto for may be 3 months, but I've fallen off the wagon may be 10 times because I'm not over my sugar addiction and still crave sweets, so I use erythritol to make low carb things with loads of fat and coconut flour, cocoa etc, and then I eat too much- not because of hunger but because I'm greedy.

I weigh 55kg and in the last few weeks I've started counting my macros because I'm sure I was eating too much protein as well. I'm not tolerating all the fat very well so I reduced it to about 100g a day and feel less sick in the stomach. My lean body mass is about 43 kg, that doesn't add up to much protein on a plate at 1g per lean body mass, I look at my meals and think 'where's all the food???' . I have about 10-15 g of carbs from lettuce, avocado and whatever low carb dessert I have in the fridge.

I'm tempted to start training like an athlete so I can eat more protein, I love meat, I'm never hungry I just feel unsatisfied. It's all psychological and I guess that programming is playing a bit of a role in why I feel so shifty in my moods...

And I should mention that I've had every eating disorder going (apart from eating tissues and things to feel full) and I was a heavy party drug user for many years... My intestines and serotonin would be even more messed up from this as well as the sugar abuse.

I was really low last night, it was so service to self pity so I youtubed for an hour footage of babies killed by shellings. I got over myself pretty quickly, as morbid as it was it helped me put things into perspective.

Every moment of every day is differnt as far as moods go. If I don't walk I feel worse. I sleep pretty good and have ample energy to do life, must say that when I ate too many carbs a few weeks ago it too me days to feel good energy again and I had to have day time naps.

Have you considered doing an over eating day once a week?? Maria Emmerich suggested that this helps our bodies from becoming stagnant and boost it's ability to burn fat better. She does her overrating with cheesecake but suggests any high protein food is good. I'm pretty sure she said 500 calories of protein so about 125grams. I kinda do this on the weekends when we are all home, not on purpose but because having everyone around makes me want to eat more. I am usually happier on the weekends too.

I hope we get over the moody blues soon.
Emma :hug2:

Fluffy said:
mugatea said:
Thx Fluffy.

How long have you been doing it (about 5 weeks for me)? It is good to know that this might just be part of the adapting. I think my bowels are inflamed, there is defo discomfort and I've been lucky while dog walking today that I managed to get to a toilet fast on 3 occasions. BAd bad bad.

It's just occurred to me that the gut plays a huge part in our moods and I wordering that this depression I've sunk into is related to my bowel discomfort/diarrhea?

Jamie
Apparently 80% of serotonin is made in the guts.
I have had probems on the other end of the scale with constipation for most my adult life.
It's better by about 50% now but sometimes I have the runs and then just back off my magnesium and it dries up... There's a fine balance though because if it dries up too much I get constipated again.

I've been doing keto for may be 3 months, but I've fallen off the wagon may be 10 times because I'm not over my sugar addiction and still crave sweets, so I use erythritol to make low carb things with loads of fat and coconut flour, cocoa etc, and then I eat too much- not because of hunger but because I'm greedy.

I weigh 55kg and in the last few weeks I've started counting my macros because I'm sure I was eating too much protein as well. I'm not tolerating all the fat very well so I reduced it to about 100g a day and feel less sick in the stomach. My lean body mass is about 43 kg, that doesn't add up to much protein on a plate at 1g per lean body mass, I look at my meals and think 'where's all the food???' . I have about 10-15 g of carbs from lettuce, avocado and whatever low carb dessert I have in the fridge.

I'm tempted to start training like an athlete so I can eat more protein, I love meat, I'm never hungry I just feel unsatisfied. It's all psychological and I guess that programming is playing a bit of a role in why I feel so shifty in my moods...

And I should mention that I've had every eating disorder going (apart from eating tissues and things to feel full) and I was a heavy party drug user for many years... My intestines and serotonin would be even more messed up from this as well as the sugar abuse.

I was really low last night, it was so service to self pity so I youtubed for an hour footage of babies killed by shellings. I got over myself pretty quickly, as morbid as it was it helped me put things into perspective.

Every moment of every day is differnt as far as moods go. If I don't walk I feel worse. I sleep pretty good and have ample energy to do life, must say that when I ate too many carbs a few weeks ago it too me days to feel good energy again and I had to have day time naps.

Have you considered doing an over eating day once a week?? Maria Emmerich suggested that this helps our bodies from becoming stagnant and boost it's ability to burn fat better. She does her overrating with cheesecake but suggests any high protein food is good. I'm pretty sure she said 500 calories of protein so about 125grams. I kinda do this on the weekends when we are all home, not on purpose but because having everyone around makes me want to eat more. I am usually happier on the weekends too.

I hope we get over the moody blues soon.
Emma :hug2:

Okay having said that there are positives.
I'm know I'm not keto adapted yet but I feel like I'm close, and if I can be more strict for a few weeks I'll be all over it. I've definitely stalled it by having some carb overloads but things are still improving. When I was 23-25y I trained like an athlete for 3 or so hours a day because I was bored, I felt pretty amazing and would have been keto adapted then because of my high protein, low fat and low carb diet, I'm getting glimpses of that feeling again. And other positives to note are my hair and skin look better, I'm able to walk with my super heavy pram and daughter up and down my hilly town for hours without getting tired and on an empty stomach, i haven't eaten or craved my usual favourite sweet treats (thank you erythritol for that one), I can fast for longer than usual, my will power is increasing and my digestive issues are slowly improving. Not to mention that my family now get sweets made with better options, grains have virtually disappeared from the cupboard and all nasty oils are a thing of the past. Welcome saturated fat :)
Looking on the bright side ..

my stomach is making weird sounds as I write this and I dont know what I'm meant to do now. Do I continue eating?

I`ve been on the keto diet for about 2 years. When I feel a bit of a grumbley tummy, I either drink a cup of hot mint tea or take some activated charcoal (one 500mg) and it does the trick. I know when I go beyond my bodies ability to digest the amount of fat intake, I`ll have loose stools. That`s my body telling me to cut back on the fat a little. I try listen to what my body is telling me. :)

Well I am feeling like the severe depression I was in starting at the beginning of the week is passing - I hope so! I'm just going on with my head down till all is ok and today I start yoga and am reading a book called Chimp Paradox which is about separating the emotional self from the logical self. It's funny, about 5 weeks ago I made a choice, but it didn't feel conscious it required no effort, the seed just sprouted naturally and has taken root. Keto took root first it was a choice to to do what is right and right for me. So keto and detox, resistance training then onto EE and today yoga. Fun to find out where the roots spread and change my life as it grows, so far they have spread to physical/emotional and spiritual healing but I suspect it will spread to other parts of my life, eg occupation, love (hopefully) and I'm glad there is no fight it's all just happening naturally. I was thinking yesterday the lives we lead are a bit like a monks life.

Fluffy, do you think your high carb days are keeping the bad bacteria alive? Are you taking betaine or anything to help you deal with the high fat? What form are you taking fat and what is your general diet like? Fatigue seems to be my trigger for depression, what do you think is causing your depression?

At this moment in time over eating isn't something I'm ready for, I want to let my bowels chill out and eat only what I have too.

I'll try some mint tea, thanks Nancy2Feathers.

Jamie

Just a note that L-carnitine can help with transitioning to burning fat for energy. It has helped me in the beginning, especially when it came to energy levels.

-L-Carnitine (2 – 5,000 mg per day) – this is a quaternary ammonium compound and an amino acid derivative, not an actual amino acid, necessary for transporting fatty acids into the mitochondria where they can be burned for energy. It can reduce the time it takes to convert from “sugar burning” to “fat burning” in resistant individuals.

mugatea said:
Well I am feeling like the severe depression I was in starting at the beginning of the week is passing - I hope so! I'm just going on with my head down till all is ok and today I start yoga and am reading a book called Chimp Paradox which is about separating the emotional self from the logical self. It's funny, about 5 weeks ago I made a choice, but it didn't feel conscious it required no effort, the seed just sprouted naturally and has taken root. Keto took root first it was a choice to to do what is right and right for me. So keto and detox, resistance training then onto EE and today yoga. Fun to find out where the roots spread and change my life as it grows, so far they have spread to physical/emotional and spiritual healing but I suspect it will spread to other parts of my life, eg occupation, love (hopefully) and I'm glad there is no fight it's all just happening naturally. I was thinking yesterday the lives we lead are a bit like a monks life.

Fluffy, do you think your high carb days are keeping the bad bacteria alive? Are you taking betaine or anything to help you deal with the high fat? What form are you taking fat and what is your general diet like? Fatigue seems to be my trigger for depression, what do you think is causing your depression?

At this moment in time over eating isn't something I'm ready for, I want to let my bowels chill out and eat only what I have too.

Jamie
Yey for yoga! I practise every day and I feel so good afterwards, it will really help with any blues you might be feeling. However be cautious it really gets the digestive system going! My normal routine is breakfast, yoga then a cold shower in the morning which gets me feeling right as rain and ready for the day. :)

mugatea said:

Jamie

Glad you're feeling a bit better, hope it continues to work it's way towards feeling awesome.

I certainly think my high carb days are having some impact, but they're getting more controlled now that I'm counting all the macros and doing pretty good at saying within the limits. Each time I have a little set back my will to do better grows so I'm taking it in my stride.
I take betaine, another digestive enzyme combo that does carbs, fat and protein and a probiotic twice a day. I'm more regular than I have been in so many years but still get crampy and a bit of gas.
An average day of eating for me is anywhere from 12-2pm I have a big bowl of 2 or 3 cups of bone broth that I make from chicken necks and sometimes a tiny portion of left over meat from the previous night, then I have dinner at 6pm which is 25ish protein grams of either chicken thigh or breast, any cut of lamb or beef, sometimes fish, all cooked in either bacon or duck fat or coconut oil, I have grass fed butter on it if it's not fatty enough. I like my red meats rather pink and bloody, I have a small amount of lettuce or avocado usually if we have a BBQ, I prefer slow cooked meat though. I don't eat many pork products and eggs are only really consumed in a erythritol sweet treat.
I had to reduce my fat from 130 to under a hundred because I felt sick all the time. Feel better on less but will increase it after 3 weeks and see what happens. I don't do fat bombs because they make me feel horrible.
After dinner I've saved myself a few carbs and protein and have something I have made, an egg yolk flourless sugar free brownie, coconut flour cookie with cacao nibs, lemon curd, mint slice, coconut oil chocolate., it all depends on what I found that inspired me to make something for the others, right now there is a choc pecan dessert, I don't really want to eat that though because of the nuts. None of it has any real sugar and all serves are less than 2 carbs, some are almost no carbs per bite like the brownie.. I'm pretty suspect on erythritol though, it's still carbs, I don't have a blood ketone meter but I can tell if I'm in ketosis, I noticed the times I've over eaten the desserts that I start to feel sluggish and tired as I flick back to glucose burning..... I really want to kick this habit of wanting something sweet after dinner.

What is your fatigue from?

There are a few other factors that cause me to get down. I'm really hard on myself and beat myself up a lot for not being perfect at everything. I sleep enough but get woken up by my daughter a few times a night, so my sleep is disrupted, I go back to sleep fine though. I feel pretty alone as far as having people on the same page as me, I don't really have friends, I'm fine with that mostly, just sometimes it would be good to talk to someone. Thank goodness for this forum!!! And mostly, I'm bored and I find life futile, I have tried so many things and just can't find anything to be passionate about. I've always been like this since I can remember and envied people who really loved and enjoyed what they do. Keto lifestyle gives me something to focus on right now while I wait for my next 5 minute fad to come along.

I have faith that perseverance will get me through the tough parts of relinquishing my sweet tooth and keto will become a very normal part of life for me. Everything I do is an uphill battle coz I seem to take the hard road with hard lessons- not too smart you see!

Some good points were made. Just wanted to add that if you have serious gut issues (dysbiosis/imbalanced gut flora included), even bone broth could be problematic. You should start with "stock" - not cooked nearly as long as broth, and so not nearly as concentrated with all the good stuff in bone broth that can cause problems until the gut issues are solved/the gut is healed.

It's important to read all the material (I know it's really long) including the most important books. This broth vs stock, for example was already covered (there's also at least one, I think two bone broth threads). Until you can catch up on all the reading, just search for your specific issues and see what was already discussed on this thread, Life Without Bread thread, the Bone Broth thread(s) and searching the Diet and Health Board for key words concerning your issues in general.

As, Oxajil said L-carnatine and other things were used for the early period by many with good results. So do see what has already been covered. Yes, even butter may be problematic if you have gut issues, until they're resolved - depends on the person. And read the specifics on how to do resistance training specifically for dealing with dysfunctional mitochondria and activating "wild" DNA, etc. You have to try different things that worked for others and experiment until you find your own solutions. Also cold adaptation really works synergistically with ketosis. Hope this helps a bit.

Fluffy said:
I just finished reading Maria Emmerich's Keto Adapted and have a question about evening primrose oil of which she claims that phenylalanine in it has great benefits but then suggests we stay away from aspartame. I was under the impression that phenylalanine was the main reason aspartame is so bad?? In Australia things like sugar free chewing gum says on the pack separate to the ingredients list 'contains phenylalanine' .

I'm a bit confused by this, there are contradicting bits of info out there about phenylalanine.

I'm just catching up on this thread and saw that this question was never addressed. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, meaning we need to get it in our diets or our bodies won't be able to make important proteins. The fact that it's found in aspartame is really neither here nor there - it's found throughout the food chain.

The reason products sometimes have labels that say "contains phenylalanine" is as a warning to people who have a genetic disorder called phenylketonuria (PKU). These people lack the enzyme that converts phenylalanine into tyrosine and so a partially converted byproduct builds up in the body causing severe side effects like intellectual disability, seizures and even retardation. People with PKU have to strictly avoid phenylalanine at all costs, so some food manufacturers label products that contain it (not sure if this is mandatory).

Hope that helps :)

Back
Top Bottom