Comet C/2012 S1 - ISON

Mikey

The Living Force
Next year, around this time, an interesting comet will arrive. It is a sungrazing comet that is supposed to be coming directly from the Oort cloud (because of its nearly parabolic orbit) and may become brighter than the full moon. It could be quite a show!

I am curious what could make such an object 'fall' from the Oort cloud directly into the solar system's center.

Here an excerpt from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2012_S1 said:
Accounting for the solar radius of 6.955×105 km, the comet will pass approximately 1,100,000 kilometres (680,000 mi) above the Sun's surface. Its orbit is nearly parabolic, which suggests that it may be a new comet coming fresh from the Oort cloud.
Preliminary calculations show that, on closest approach, the comet will pass about 0.07 AU (10,000,000 km; 6,500,000 mi) from Mars on 1 October 2013, and it will pass about 0.4 AU (60,000,000 km; 37,000,000 mi) from Earth on 26 December 2013.[8] Some of the orbital elements of comet ISON are similar to that of the Great Comet of 1680 which suggests the two comets may have fragmented from the same parent body.
When the comet reaches its perihelion on 28 November it may be less than 1° from the Sun, making it difficult to see against the glare of the Sun.[12] The comet may become extremely bright if it remains intact, probably reaching a negative magnitude.[5] According to Astronomy Now, it may briefly become brighter than the full Moon.[7][6] But predicting the brightness of a comet is difficult, especially one that will pass so close to the Sun and be affected by the forward scattering of light.

400px-Orbit_comet_2012_S1_ISON.png

Re: Comet C/2012 S1

Data said:
Next year, around this time, an interesting comet will arrive. It is a sungrazing comet that is supposed to be coming directly from the Oort cloud (because of its nearly parabolic orbit) and may become brighter than the full moon. It could be quite a show!

I am curious what could make such an object 'fall' from the Oort cloud directly into the solar system's center.

Other than the orbit of Sol's brown dwarf companion?

next year seems to be an interesting year for space rocks (again!):
http://www.sott.net/article/252938-Incoming-Tunguska-class-bolide-to-miss-Earth-by-just-22500km-on-15-February-2013

Incoming! Tunguska-class bolide to miss Earth by just 22,500km on 15 February 2013

An asteroid the size of a city block is due to come whizzing past Earth closer than any other of its size in recorded history in February next year, according to astronomers.

The asteroid, referred to as 2012 DA14, has a diameter of approximately 45m and an estimated mass of 130,000 tonnes. It was discovered at the start of 2012 and is set to travel between the Earth and our geostationary communication satellites on 15 February 2013. At a distance of just 22,500km this will be the closest asteroid 'fly by' in recorded history.

Asteroid and comet researchers will be gathering at the University of Central Florida (UCF) in Orlando, U.S., to watch the event, but experts say there is no chance of a collision - this time.

"I think perhaps the most important thing about this asteroid is that it reminds us that the threat from such objects is very real," said Jonti Horner, an independent astronomer at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.

The destructive force of an atomic bomb

It is important to monitor all asteroids that pass close by in case any are on a collision course with Earth. NASA has identified 4,700 asteroids that are potential threats to us, some of which are up to two or three kilometres in diameter.

Any asteroid likely to collide with Earth must have its composition and structure analysed so that it can be deflected, according to a statement from UCF.

A collision with even a small asteroid could be disastrous, with an impact from 2012 DA14 estimated to equal the destructive force of an atomic bomb. "The world's most famous impact crater - the Barringer Crater in Arizona, U.S. - which is about 1,200m in diameter and 170m deep, was formed when an object thought to have been just 50m in diameter hit the Earth," said Horner.

"An incredibly near miss"

"While it's not unusual for asteroids to come close to the Earth, there are a couple of reasons the approach of this one is particularly exciting for astronomers," said Horner.

"Having a 45m space rock pass under 30,000km from the Earth is an incredibly near miss in astronomical terms, which should mean we can learn a great deal about it as it tears past the Earth," he said.

Asteroids offer valuable insight into the formation of our Solar System, according to Humberto Campins who is an asteroid and comet expert at UCF and led the first team to discover ice on an asteroid in 2010.

The asteroid will not pass through our atmosphere and so is unlikely to break up. However, "forces from Earth could change its shape if it is a rubble pile and not a single rock. At this time we do not know which of those two it is," added Campins.

Any change in the composition or shape of the asteroid has the capability to alter its path, which could see it come even closer to Earth in the future.

The asteroid will be too faint to see with the naked eye, although it will be visible through binoculars or a telescope. Additionally, live feeds from telescopes in Spain will offer the public the chance to witness the event.

video from the article: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7YTmS6U8WM&feature=player_embedded

anart said:

I was trying to understand the mechanics in the outer regions of the solar system. I imagine that an approaching star would cause massive and numerous influx from the Oort cloud. I was wondering how single objects make it into the solar system center, like this one, without observing many others of the same kind. But then, when we look at the news reports about objects hitting the Earth, this comet is not really isolated, it is already part of something larger, even though most of the other objects are still small. I guess that if a brown companion is approaching, it would first disturb the outer, thinner regions of the Oort cloud, which would consist of mostly small particles and single larger ones, before progressing to the core, where more and more larger ones will be displaced. In any case, I find it fascinating to picture this visually.

Data said:
anart said:

I was trying to understand the mechanics in the outer regions of the solar system. I imagine that an approaching star would cause massive and numerous influx from the Oort cloud. I was wondering how single objects make it into the solar system center, like this one, without observing many others of the same kind. But then, when we look at the news reports about objects hitting the Earth, this comet is not really isolated, it is already part of something larger, even though most of the other objects are still small. I guess that if a brown companion is approaching, it would first disturb the outer, thinner regions of the Oort cloud, which would consist of mostly small particles and single larger ones, before progressing to the core, where more and more larger ones will be displaced. In any case, I find it fascinating to picture this visually.

there is also the possibility that there are a lot of other space rocks that are coming in right now that are not reported on either because the PTB don't know about them/see them or because the know about it and simply don't tell us.

also as far as I know many of those space Rocks are so dark that it is almost impossible to spot them, and when they are heading towards earth it is only when they "hit" that we can see them.

keeping in mind that the space rock invasion is going on right now, wich is more then evident keeping in mind the staggering increase of space rock impacts and sightings in recent years, it very well could be that there are a lot more comets heading our way that we can't see.

Data said:
anart said:

I was trying to understand the mechanics in the outer regions of the solar system. I imagine that an approaching star would cause massive and numerous influx from the Oort cloud. I was wondering how single objects make it into the solar system center, like this one, without observing many others of the same kind.

I was thinking of it as a bigger rain drop than the ones we're already seeing...

d said:
But then, when we look at the news reports about objects hitting the Earth, this comet is not really isolated, it is already part of something larger, even though most of the other objects are still small. I guess that if a brown companion is approaching, it would first disturb the outer, thinner regions of the Oort cloud, which would consist of mostly small particles and single larger ones, before progressing to the core, where more and more larger ones will be displaced. In any case, I find it fascinating to picture this visually.

Yep, pretty much, but it's my understanding that it went through the Oort cloud some time ago and these things are just now reaching the inner solar system, so it's really just barely begun. I could be wrong though!

James McCanney has some very interesting things to say about this comet. He posted the following on his web site:

"November 03, 2012 posting ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW i was just working on the orbit of comet C/2012/S1 and an AMAZING alignment is in the brewing IF the comet survives the mars passage unaltered (next october) and the solar encounter a year from now ... starting around january 8th of 2014 to january 14, 2014 there is a quadruple whammmmmmy of an alignment that involves earth !!!! we have Venus at inferior conjunction with earth AND the new moon passing AND none other than Jupiter the big guy ALL ALIGNED electrically with the moon coming out of the blocking position and in what i call "the new moon passing" ... this is getting real interesting ... the comet will be in the clear night sky and we will be looking directly at its nose and we may get to see some real fireworks along with seeing what the ancients saw ... lightning bolts across the heavens with the earth in the middle and we may witness first hand what in the moses event they called the RED HAND OF DEATH ... just prior to this we will get a bird's eye broadside view of the comet and it may be interacting with earth at some of these points in time ... more information soon ... keep posted ... OOOOPS ... i just have to add another factor that is making this all the more interesting ... the solar maximum will be at its peak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get ready folks ... and just remember one little detail ... the bankers and their secret new world order plans CANNOT DO A THING ABOUT THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! although they will be working feverishly to come out of this with full control ... their only option will be to create major chaos around the world including major wars ... are the prophesies coming true ??? "

Has anyone at SOTT looked into what McCanney is saying about this comet?

I haven't read much of McCanney, and while he may do excellent research and have a point, this excerpt sounds a bit sensationalist...

Naturalden said:
Has anyone at SOTT looked into what McCanney is saying about this comet?

just type "James McCanney" into the seach box on the top right and you will find plenty of posts and topics that discuss him and his theories ;)

I first heard about McCanneys theories from the SOTT website. I agree his post is somewhat sensationalist, but if we look at just what he is saying about the potential effects of this comet, it is something well worth looking into. I've read very interesting articles on similar topics here at SOTT by Ryan X and Harrison Koehli. I was just wondering if any of the editors here were looking at this particular comet? It would be an article I would be very interested in reading.

Jim McCanney is exited about something out there

please note the CAPS are not mine...

_http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/

January 20, 2013 posting ... !!!!!!! ... THIS JUST IN ... IT IS TOO EARLY TO CONFIRM BUT SOME INITIAL DATA SUGGESTS THAT COMET C/2012/S1 HAS AT LEAST ONE COMPANION AND POSSIBLY UP TO SEVEN ... WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS ONE HAS TO BE VERY CAUTIOUS BUT AFTER EXAMINING THE DATA THAT I HAVE SEEN I WOULD SAY THAT IT APPEARS TO BE REAL ... FURTHERMORE ONE OF THE POSSIBLE COMPANIONS APPEARS TO BE AT ABOUT TWO LUNAR DISTANCES (HALF A MILLION MILES) AND HAS NOT FORMED A COMA FOR SOME ODD REASON ... IF THE OBJECT IS ORBITING THE NUCLEUS OF THE COMET AT THAT DISTANCE IT IMPLIES THAT THE NUCLEUS OF THIS COMET IS POSSIBLY AS BIG OR BIGGER THAN EARTH ... ALSO WITH COMPANIONS WE WILL BE ABLE TO DIRECTLY CALCULATE THE MASS AND THEREFORE THE SIZE OF THE COMET NUCLEUS ... USING STANDARD ASTRONOMICAL METHODS ... NASA TIER II SCIENTISTS HAVE ALREADY PUT THEIR FOOT IN THEIR MOUTHS WITH AN ESTIMATE BASED ON SOME GEEEE WHIZ BAD SCIENCE ... AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE ONE OF THE BIGGEST OPEN LIES AT NASA IS CONCERNING THE SIZE OF COMET NUCLEI ALWAYS MINIMIZING THEM TO ALMOST NOTHING AND TRYING TO PROMOTE THEIR INCORRECT DIRTY SNOWBALL COMET MODEL ... WE KNOW THEY CAN DIRECTLY MEASURE COMET NUCLEI WITH RADIO TELESCOPES SO WHY ALL THE BAD SCIENCE AND OPINIATED ESTIMATES ??? NORMALLY NO ONE WOULD BE ABLE TO CONTRADICT THEM BECAUSE THEY HOLD THE REIGNS OF THE RADIO TELESCOPES AND WHO IS TO CONTRADICT THEM ??? BUT WITH COMPANIONS WE USE A SIMPLE ASTRONOMICAL FORMULA AND WALA WE HAVE THE MASS OF THE NUCLEUS AND THERE IS NOTHING NASA CAN DO ABOUT THAT ... WITH THE RECENT INTERACTION OF THIS COMET WITH EARTH WHILE THE COMET WAS AT THE RANGE OF JUPITER'S ORBIT THIS WOULD BE THE SECOND INDICATION THAT THIS IS A WHOPPER OF A COMET ... NASA HAS BEEN EXTREMELY ACTIVE IN DAMAGE CONTROL ON THIS COMET AND JUST TODAY ISSUED A VIDEO CLEARLY DOING DAMAGE CONTROL ... WHY ALL THE ANNOUNCEMENTS WHEN THE COMET (ACCORDING TO NASA) WILL NOT EVEN BE VISIBLE UNTIL NEXT NOVEMBER ?!?!?! STAY TUNED FOLKS THIS IS GETTING REEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL INTERESTING ... jim mccanney

Hi ziggystarlust,

Merged your post to an existing thread on comet ISON. :)

anart said:
Data said:
anart said:

I was trying to understand the mechanics in the outer regions of the solar system. I imagine that an approaching star would cause massive and numerous influx from the Oort cloud. I was wondering how single objects make it into the solar system center, like this one, without observing many others of the same kind.

I was thinking of it as a bigger rain drop than the ones we're already seeing...

d said:
But then, when we look at the news reports about objects hitting the Earth, this comet is not really isolated, it is already part of something larger, even though most of the other objects are still small. I guess that if a brown companion is approaching, it would first disturb the outer, thinner regions of the Oort cloud, which would consist of mostly small particles and single larger ones, before progressing to the core, where more and more larger ones will be displaced. In any case, I find it fascinating to picture this visually.

Yep, pretty much, but it's my understanding that it went through the Oort cloud some time ago and these things are just now reaching the inner solar system, so it's really just barely begun. I could be wrong though!

Well.. I'm not sure but Looking the low activity of the Sun, its supposedly because the gravity of another larger objetc is affecting it which make the Sun gravity to contract.. So i would say the dwarf star its near of the Oort cloud somewhere.. But again i could be wrong too..

irjO said:
its supposedly because the gravity of another larger objetc is affecting it which make the Sun gravity to contract.. So i would say the dwarf star its near of the Oort cloud somewhere.. But again i could be wrong too..
Well, according to Cs, you are wrong :) They said Sol's companion already passed Oort cloud on it's way IN back in 1998! They estimated Oord cloud avg. distance as ~5486 AU (510,000,000,000 miles) from Sol, with closest approach at ~40 AU. And they gave "time window" of 0 to 14 years, that is already expired... So, where is Companion Star? :/ Is there a possibility it has already made it's closest approach unnoticed?
And I have more questions on subject anyway... Cs replied 'yes' to assumption, that it would be seen by reason of 'illumination' of it by Sol. But thinking strictly in terms of optical light reflection, I could hardly imagine how such relatively small and faint object as brown dwarf star would be seen from distance of 40 AU in terms of 3 density visible light. How could it scare anyone? It would barely be visible, may be as bright as Jupiter which is way more closer. So, may be there will be some startling electrical/plasma phenomena... But it seems we have no way to know where Sol's Companion is now :huh:

Back
Top Bottom