Are you going to Vote?

loreta said:
In Canada, if I remember correctly but I can be wrong, and in Spain and then I know for sure, two days before the elections the politicians have no right to do anything. They call this something like "days of thinking".

Yep. That's how it is in Canada (at least here in Québec).

Medias on the other hand can keep doing their usual bull so I don't think it makes any diffrence.

JayMark said:
loreta said:
In Canada, if I remember correctly but I can be wrong, and in Spain and then I know for sure, two days before the elections the politicians have no right to do anything. They call this something like "days of thinking".

Medias on the other hand can keep doing their usual bull so I don't think it makes any diffrence.

Well to my knowledge and you can do a search on google, it is not like that in Québec. The campaign goes up to the day before the election's day.

Gandalf said:
JayMark said:
loreta said:

Well to my knowledge and you can do a search on google, it is not like that in Québec. The campaign goes up to the day before the election's day.

I don't think it's the campaign per se that has to stop but I clearly remember that there was something that had to stop two days or so prior to the elections. I think they were talking about polotical publicity (or one form of) actually. I even discussed that "two days prior" thing with my uncle but can't bemember exactly what it was about. Darn!

I tried google but didn't find anything. I've also tried on the government's website but the list of laws/rules was so exhausting that after a few minutes I felt like my brain was about to turn into cold plasticine.

Anyhow, not a big deal for me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Peace.

I'm another non-voter. I really just had so many more important things to do, like: :headbash:, and :knitting:, and :boat:, with a little bit of :scooter: and trying to find :osama: that I didn't find the time to get there :P. (I actually mainly spent my time Working and working)

I'm actually probably not even registered--I registered a long time ago and voted against Bush (did anyone actually vote for Kerry or Gore, or just against Bush?) and that was probably in NJ--nor was I in the state of my current residence, so it wasn't even possible. But I didn't see any reason to vote, so I didn't put in any effort to be able to do so (or even determine if I was able to do so). The blue puppet or the red one--no thanks.

I voted last Saturday. In my state voting is by mail and votes are counted by county elections clerks. It is managed honestly, with vote counting observed by political party representatives and the public. All ballot envelopes are opened with observers present, then counted in batches by tabulating machines.

Very recently a temporary elections worker in a neighboring county was caught tampering with ballots, marking them for republican candidates in races that voters had left blank. The county clerk reported that criminal violation of state elections law to the secretary of state's elections division and the state department of justice. That worker has been relieved from duty and is facing prosecution for a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to five years. The ballots that were tampered with were destroyed, the secretary of state has two people monitoring the vote counting in that county elections operation, and the only pens allowed near ballots are bright colors that the vote tabulating machines can't register.

If voting in a particular race is very close, the losing candidate can demand and get a recount by hand.

Nope. No voting for me today. Today, a few people asked me if I'd voted yet. I just told them I'd do it after work. I did have a conversation with a co-worker (who's also not voting) about what a colossal waste of time it is so and how there is no difference between the candidates and that was about as close to the political world that I was willing to get today.

some people asked me whether I voted today and they expect me to vote, though they agree that there is no difference between parties and nothing makes a difference. My answer is both are same except color.

Just returned from my local voting location. It was a paper ballot, ultimately fed into a Diebold voting machine with no paper trail (I asked if I could get any kind of receipt or documentation, and was told no -- although I was free to take an "I voted" sticker, which I declined). So there's no way that I could ever verify that it was counted accurately. I overheard one conversation with a man who had been turned away from his official location and redirected to mine -- they didn't have his name there, so he was being told he had to use a provisional ballot. I was asked to do an exit poll afterward (with all the major TV networks' logos printed across the top), and that was that. The energy felt pretty off while I was there, and I was glad to leave.

No voting for me today. So what do you guys think will happen? Will it be like 2000 with maybe some allegations of a stolen election and civil unrest thrown in for good measure?

John! said:
No voting for me today. So what do you guys think will happen? Will it be like 2000 with maybe some allegations of a stolen election and civil unrest thrown in for good measure?

I don't know about civil unrest. Let's hope not. But looking at the early returns, it looks entirely possible if not downright likely that we could have a reverse-of-2000 vote skew with Obama winning the electoral vote and Romney winning the popular. Just think about it in terms of acting out the political theater: you have all these people in the redneck red states who would not vote for a [person who looks like Obama] if their life depended on it. And the Tea Party propaganda has made it that much worse, not to mention the ones who rightfully detest things like the NDAA but are too deluded to see that Romney is just as bad. Normally there would be more depressed turnout in these red states because eh, why bother? If the Republican is going to win the state anyway then their vote doesn't help him win it even more. But this time they want to vote against Obama with everything they've got!

At least that's my take. Just another illustration of how ridiculous the U.S. electoral system is even on paper. :rolleyes:

Edit: and just to even things out, you have the Obama-leaning people in both the heavy red and heavy blue states who are so disgusted with his performance that they don't bother voting when they normally would. Geez, I feel like some sort of t.v. pundit imbecile even typing that red vs. blue stuff. Only since 2000 have we even made those stupid colors permanently mean red=Republican & blue=Democrat.

Was interested in Prop 37 in California and here is where it stands at this point:

37 Genetically Engineered Foods Labeling

Yes 42.7%

No 57.3% :(

Requires labeling of food sold to consumers made from plants or animals with genetic material changed in specified ways.
4,001,854 votes

21% reporting

Hopefully saner minds are still to be counted

No voting for me, why voting anyway?
Supporting this people, I mean psychopaths?
Do you guys really believe voting will change anything?

We live in global totalitarian regime. It doesn't matter who do we vote for, or if we don't at all,
,,the chosen one,, will be elected whether by dumb masses or by cheating. Like always :(

voyageur said:
Was interested in Prop 37 in California and here is where it stands at this point:

37 Genetically Engineered Foods Labeling

Yes 42.7%

No 57.3% :(

Requires labeling of food sold to consumers made from plants or animals with genetic material changed in specified ways.
4,001,854 votes

21% reporting

Hopefully saner minds are still to be counted

This smacks of PTB manipulation if the percentages stay that far apart. I don't know how it was polling in California before now, but I remember hearing that 80%+ were in favor of labeling laws nationally. Has anyone heard a "man on the street" interview from a supposedly average voter who is against labeling? Who are these people?!

Back
Top Bottom