Dental Health

Hildegarda said:
Oxajil said:
The dentist said that the inflammation was not because of the tooth that got the treatment, but that it was because of the tooth in front of it, with no explanation. That tooth in front was never a problem for my mother, so she doesn't understand how this tooth suddenly caused this abscess to form.

I have learned two things since than. First, any dental procedure carries a risk of structural damage or infection to adjacent teeth, resulting in the necessity for a crown, a root canal, or treatment for dental abscess. They do not tell you that. The more they mess with it, the more chance there is for things to get messed up. Second, people who have TMJ syndrome (neuromuscular pain in the jaw joint) have particularly poor outcomes with the root canal procedure. That has something to do with the reduced blood flow to the jaw tissues. I do have TMJ after wisdom teeth removal. That could have been either due to the jaw joint damage: my teeth were partially impacted, but the surgeon have wrestled those teeth out of their bone sockets without cutting into the bone. It was less invasive but possibly more destructive ultimately. Or, it could be due to jaw misalignment after the surgery.

I hope your mother finds some relief. Unfortunately, a root canal may indeed be necessary; yet, there is no guarantee that it would work. Extraction and implants are another option, if you think that having titanium in your mouth is a lesser evil.

Fwiw, I've recently been through my own dental problems, and have had similar experiences to Hildegarda. I have just gone through a series of oral surgeries, including an extraction, and I too, developed TMJ. I opted for an extraction instead of a root canal, simply because the tooth was nonfunctional (had no opposing tooth), and wasn't in good enough shape to make it worth while. I do have an alternative dentist,(anti fluoride, mercury etc ) and that was his recommendation. You really do have to weigh the pros and cons of having a root canal, it may be worthwhile, IF the tooth is functional and can be saved.

Although you don't hear too much about it, it is so true that the more they mess with it, the more potential for further trouble. And it seems that TMJ is quite common after these dental procedures, and it sure can be painful. I've also discovered that it isn't unusual to have nerve pain from the freezing and pain from the needles that can last for some time. It can be difficult to even pinpoint where exactly the pain is coming from as so many areas are traumatized from the dental procedures.

All in all, I sure sympathize with your mother, I hope she feels better soon.

Thank you all very much for sharing your experiences and advices. I will take them into account. :flowers:

I thought I'd post this here rather than the bleeding gums thread, (still not sure) since this topic is overall dental health, & it has morphed several times over the years.

http://newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/blog/2014/03/21/genetic-signature-reveals-new-way-classify-gum-disease/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=genetic-signature-reveals-new-way-classify-gum-disease

The paper is titled, “Gingival Tissue Transcriptomes Identify Distinct Periodontitis Phenotypes.”

Gene Expression Signature Reveals New Way to Classify Gum Disease
May allow for earlier diagnosis and personalized treatment of severe periodontitis

March 21, 2014
Posted in: Dentistry, Genetics, Personalized Medicine, Research
NEW YORK, NY (March 21, 2014) — Researchers at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) have devised a new system for classifying periodontal disease based on the genetic signature of affected tissue, rather than on clinical signs and symptoms. The new classification system, the first of its kind, may allow for earlier detection and more individualized treatment of severe periodontitis, before loss of teeth and supportive bone occurs. The findings were published recently in the online edition of the Journal of Dental Research.

Currently, periodontal disease is classified as either “chronic” or “aggressive,” based on clinical signs and symptoms, such as severity of gum swelling and extent of bone loss. “However, there is much overlap between the two classes,” said study leader Panos N. Papapanou, DDS, PhD, professor and chair of oral and diagnostic sciences at the College of Dental Medicine at CUMC. “Many patients with severe symptoms can be effectively treated, while others with seemingly less severe infection may continue to lose support around their teeth even after therapy. Basically, we don’t know whether a periodontal infection is truly aggressive until severe, irreversible damage has occurred.”

Looking for a better way to classify periodontitis, Dr. Papapanou turned to cancer as a model. In recent years, cancer biologists have found that, in some cancers, clues to a tumor’s aggressiveness and responsiveness to treatment can be found in its genetic signature. To determine if similar patterns could be found in periodontal disease, the CUMC team performed genome-wide expression analyses of diseased gingival (gum) tissue taken from 120 patients with either chronic or aggressive periodontitis. The test group included both males and females ranging in age from 11 to 76 years.

The researchers found that, based on their gene expression signatures, the patients fell into two distinct clusters. “The clusters did not align with the currently accepted periodontitis classification,” said Dr. Papapanou. However, the two clusters did differ with respect to the extent and severity of periodontitis, with significantly more serious disease in Cluster 2. The study also found higher levels of infection by known oral pathogens, as well as a higher percentage of males, in Cluster 2 than in Cluster 1, in keeping with the well-established observation that severe periodontitis is more common in men than in women.

“Our data suggest that molecular profiling of gingival tissues can indeed form the basis for the development of an alternative, pathobiology-based classification of periodontitis that correlates well with the clinical presentation of the disease,” said Dr. Papapanou.

The researchers’ next goal is to conduct a prospective study to validate the new classification system’s ability to predict disease outcome. The team also hopes to find simple surrogate biomarkers for the two clusters, as it would be impractical to perform genome-wide testing on every patient.

The new system could offer huge advantages for classifying people with different types of periodontitis. “If a patient is found to be highly susceptible to severe periodontitis, we would be justified in using aggressive therapies, even though that person may have subclinical disease,” said Dr. Papapanou. “Now, we wait years to make this determination, and by then, significant damage to the tooth-supporting structures may have occurred.”

There's a grainy colour graphic thing at the bottom, in the link. For those who can make sense of such things. :D

Hi, I will be making a intro post soon but I had a quick question. How bad is it if one has swallowd a mercury filling? I think I might have swallowd a little bit, most of it I spat out. I have been finding conficting answers on the internet about it. I have an appointment with a dentist on Friday.

Maybe others will have a better answer regarding the ingestion of a mercury filling, but it is possible that it would just pass thru. OSIT.

I look forward to your intro post and best of luck at the dentist. :)

Lilou said:
Maybe others will have a better answer regarding the ingestion of a mercury filling, but it is possible that it would just pass thru. OSIT.

I look forward to your intro post and best of luck at the dentist. :)

Yes Ive done more research and called a holstic denistry office, it should pass with minimal harm. I should have bern more concise with the post, was at work and panicked. Thanks for your help.

thanks for all the great info in this thread!

I've just returned form the dentist, who specializes in amalgam removal. It's going to be very expensive, but, worth it I think. I'm still waiting on results from hair and blood tests to see what my heavy metal (mercury) levels are like.

The dentist basically told me that the smaller ones can be replaced with the composite and the larger ones will need ceramic. He does offer the full service as in very high pressure suction, mouth damn and oxygen for the nose for the procedure(s) (I'm doing it in four parts).

I have been looking at chelating mercury, and will discuss selenium, Vit C and other things mentioned in this thread with my naturopath to see what she can provide me with.

Is there any benefit in doing the procedures all at once? He did say he can do bigger sessions and get things done in maybe two sessions, but recommends four.

987baz said:
The dentist basically told me that the smaller ones can be replaced with the composite and the larger ones will need ceramic. He does offer the full service as in very high pressure suction, mouth damn and oxygen for the nose for the procedure(s) (I'm doing it in four parts).

I have been looking at chelating mercury, and will discuss selenium, Vit C and other things mentioned in this thread with my naturopath to see what she can provide me with.

Is there any benefit in doing the procedures all at once? He did say he can do bigger sessions and get things done in maybe two sessions, but recommends four.
I had my mercury removed in four sessions, one quadrant at a time. The sessions were spaced out in time too. After each session, I completed a cycle of DMSA detoxification. https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,16812.0.html

I had my four removed in two sessions, two at a time. I guess it depends on how big a job it is and what the dentist thinks you can handle or what's best for you. I don't take any Novocaine or numbing agent and told my guy to just rip into it so he figured he could get more done at one time. Another thing was that he wrote them all off as fillings, since technically that's what they were, and my insurance covered the whole thing so it might be worth it to discuss with your dentist. Some go for it, others won't. Good luck with everything! :)

I had my mercury removed in four sessions, one quadrant at a time. The sessions were spaced out in time too. After each session, I completed a cycle of DMSA detoxification. https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,16812.0.html

Thanks hlat, I'll check out the thread. Yes looks like, I will do it in 4 sessions as well. I think that will be best for me.

I had my four removed in two sessions, two at a time. I guess it depends on how big a job it is and what the dentist thinks you can handle or what's best for you. I don't take any Novocaine or numbing agent and told my guy to just rip into it so he figured he could get more done at one time. Another thing was that he wrote them all off as fillings, since technically that's what they were, and my insurance covered the whole thing so it might be worth it to discuss with your dentist. Some go for it, others won't. Good luck with everything! :)

Thanks Pete, i will have a chat to him and see if he goes for it, appreciate the advice :cool2:

I want to share my experience with the EDTA treatment and my gums .... I did the EDTA treatment to reduce iron levels in my blood for a year with their breaks between cycles. At the beginning I did not find a relationship with EDTA treatment and the problems in my gums, about 2 or 3 months before finishing it was when I noticed that my gums were weakened when I was in treatment. During that year I had several visits to the dentist and some of the work had very bad results because my gum was weakened, it was as if I lost the defenses to deal with than usual might be in my mouth. In fact my test was 100% when I visited to the periodontist for problems with a bag that was made in a root of a tooth which coincided with the end of EDTA. The doctor did cleaning and quote me for 2 weeks later to have minor surgery to close the bag. When I arrived and finished 2 weeks of EDTA the doctor told me I had 100% healed the bag it had given so much trouble for 2 months .... Now I'm not in my treatment I feel stronger and healthier gums. Scientifically I can not assure you that there is a weak correlation between EDTA and gum, just wanted to share my experience.
Regards
Dulce

I havent read this thread but will after I write this post as I would like opinions.

I am just back from the dentist. First visit in about 5 years. I've got a few mercury fillings already and knew one of my wisdom teeth were bad. It was just a checkup with the intention of getting teeth fixed if they needed it and mercury fillings replaced with non mercury fillings. I got my checkup and was told I needed a couple of more fillings and the wisdom tooth pulled. Ok thats fine. But while he was more than happy to replace mercury fillings he said the tests showed that the procedure of removing mercury fillings put more mercury in the body than just leaving them there. The NHS pay for fillings but only if they are mercury otherwise you have to go private!!! He also said that smoking was bad for gums and caused them to recede and that I should stop. So two fillings, a tooth pulled and old mercury fillings replaced is gonna cost me £280.

So should I get my mercury fillings replaced? Is smoking harmful to my gums even though good for brain?

Thanks.

Now off to read this thread from start then Yoga!

mugatea said:
So two fillings, a tooth pulled and old mercury fillings replaced is gonna cost me £280.

Actually for dental work that doesn't sound too much. Could you pay in installments?

When I had my mercury fillings replaced fifteen years ago I would have had to pay over 1500 Euros, luckily at that time I was in a country where health-insurance paid for the procedure (not any more though).

Does the wisdom tooth hurt or show any sign of growth? If not, leave it where it is.

Concerning the mercury fillings as I understand that there are dentists who use special methods to make sure that the mercury is not absorbed by your body on removal. As I remember this is discussed in this thread, also what to ask them when searching for one...

All the Best!

M.T.

It's good to have some precautions like a separate air breathing source and suction of mercury vapors.

I had 6 of my amalgams removed a few months ago, it was very expensive but definitely worth it! My gums always bled when I brushed them, and I have no gum conditions of any kind. A month after all my amalgams where removed, they stopped bleeding completely!

The only problems where the nasty abscess I developed and I stupidly thought it was due to my detoxification from Mercury, I suffered with the abscess for up to 3 weeks before doing anything about it. It really was the worse pain I've endured, I decided to get the tooth removed as it was just a molar and it was £250 to have a root canal! As others have said, the only downfall is the chance of the tooth becoming infected.

The teeth are still sensitive to hot and cold even after 6 months, but I've read it can take between 8 months and a year for them to settle down.

Back
Top Bottom