Massive snowstorm in Québec right now.

• Thread starter Deleted member 8431
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8431

Hi guys,

More unusual weather!

I'm in Montréal and it has been snowing for the past 12-18 hours or so. Now as I'm writing this message, it's about 17h15 and by 14h15 we were already up to 38 cm. So take your guess, we're over 40 cm now and it ain't over.

This is absolutely insane. I don't ever recall having seen that much snow in a single snowstorm in my entire life. We just pulverized the old record (for a 27th of December) that happened in 1969.

The whole city and surroundings are paralized. Even if we're experts at snow removal, this one is a real unexpected bugger. I just went out to buy cigarettes and although the temperature is quite mild/comfortable as we speak (-5°C), walking that 200 m or so took me at least twice as much time! ;P

Anyhow, this is quite unusual. This storm is quite violent and has even killed several people in the USA so far apparently. And as far as I know, they didn't see it coming. 4-5 days ago they were talking about 25 cm or so then 2 days ago it was down to 15 cm or so. Well what do you know we over 40 cm now...

Is everyone esle involved in that storm so far allright?

Peace.

auto_neige_avertissement_le_gardeur_art-8-23790.jpg

Hi JayMark,

It is indeed a good snowstorm but being older I did see snowstorm much bigger that this one in the 70.

Gandalf said:
Hi JayMark,

It is indeed a good snowstorm but being older I did see snowstorm much bigger that this one in the 70.

Ahhh, of course (you are older)! Then I guess you have witnessed the "Tempête du siècle" (storm of the century) like my father!

Well actually I may have seen worst storms in terms of intensity but in terms of snowfall (over 40 cm) this has been rather a rare occasion for me (if any) but I was born in 1986 so perhaps I remember from 1995 and up only (so yeah, pretty recent).

But anyhow, I take it as everything is fine for you Gandalf! Good to hear.

No matter what, I can't help but to find all this snow to be beautiful. Winter would suck big time without it.

Cheers!

Gandalf said:
Hi JayMark,

Hmm, yes i remember those also - darn cold then too, if memory serves.

oh how you must love how the roads are going to be for the next week at the city scrambles to get the main roads cleared. :P My little city used up their whole years budjet for snow removal in the first week we got snow...should be a long winter...let it snow,let it snow, let it snow!!

Well, that one was insane!

We have received 45.6 cm of snow which is just 1.4 cm short of the "Tempête du Siècle" (Storm of the Century) that happened in 1971. But in terms of quantity of snow per unit of time (24h) this one was more intense than in 1971 (by 2.3 cm / 24 h) only with weaker winds (63 km/h gusts as opposed to 108 km/h in 1971).

So, overall this has been the greatest snowfall ever in Montréal along with the Tempête du Siècle. Today the sky is crystal clear and winds are very calm. All this snow is quite beautiful. Makes it feel much more like a true "hiver Québécois" (Quebecanese winter) not like all the rain we've had last week.

big-picture said:
oh how you must love how the roads are going to be for the next week at the city scrambles to get the main roads cleared. :P My little city used up their whole years budjet for snow removal in the first week we got snow...should be a long winter...let it snow,let it snow, let it snow!!

:P

Actually I'm surprized at how fast they have reacted to the first snow falls this year. It might just be in my area but they are already at it and so far things go well. It shouldn't take more than a few days to be clear. We have a large budget for snow removal, good equipment and skilled workers. And this one sure is a good practice run for all winter!

Glad we didn't miss power or anything.

Peace.

I remember the storm of 1970, it was something! I was young... and innocent. :evil:

I didn't know about this tempest. All tempest are very interesting: how people react to them, how we can be gentle and emphatic with others, how we can study if our city is well organized in dramatic situations, etc. I love tempests. The gods of snow and wind are always very energetic. Good luck!

loreta said:
I remember the storm of 1970, it was something! I was young... and innocent. :evil:

Then just immagine more or less the same thing that happened yesterday. Just less wind but faster accumulation. It actually took a tad less than 18h to receive the entire 45.6 cm. In 1971, it had taken about 28h to receive the whole 47 cm.

I didn't know about this tempest. All tempest are very interesting: how people react to them, how we can be gentle and emphatic with others, how we can study if our city is well organized in dramatic situations, etc. I love tempests. The gods of snow and wind are always very energetic. Good luck!

Interesting thoughts.

Indeed people were pretty calm overall yesterday and empathetic. Everyone was helping everyone to get the job done. A city bus even got stuck in snow and passengers/pedestrians all teamed up to push it out.

City seems to be well-organized so far. What helps a lot is the fact we're in the Hollydays so there's far less traffic on the roads. That's a good thing. Job's getting done quite well and fast as I can see at the moment. Plus the day is beautiful. I'll go take a walk and tell you how it goes later.

Peace.

Pashalis said:
What is the altitude where you live JayMark?

Hummm, hard to put a precise number as it seems to vary from source to source.

On Wikipedia they mention highest point at 233 m (764 ft) as on the Mont-Royal and lowest point at only 6 m (20 ft) which could represent the underground city or metro system, I dunno, seems low.

Other sources in general will say from 150 ft to 190 ft.

If we look at it from another angle, the Saint-Laurent starts at about 74.7 m (245 ft) of altitude at Lake Ontario and goes down to sea level at it's mouth.

So I think that 150 ft to 200 ft is a good approximation since we're much closer to the lake that the Altlantic.

Is that precise enough for you?

Peace.

JayMark said:
I'll go take a walk and tell you how it goes later.

I did and so far they are doing very well. Considering the conditions I find them to be very efficient at removing all the snow. I had to stop at a corner because the snow blower was coming (there's always a man outside walking to check for people) so I made sign that I saw him and took a few minutes to contemplate them at work. They are very skilled to say the least. I don't know how they manage to do all this so efficiently and in such an organized way but it's always impressive to see.

They open the roads, pile up the snow on the sides strategically, then the blower comes with the dump trucks and there goes the parade. Vroooom! Blower starts filling the trucks that all wait in line behind it creating a snow removal covoy with trucks continuously leaving to dump while other arrive from the dumping site all syncronized. The way they move and operate despite all the cars, narrow roads and obstacles is very impressive. But these guys in general love their jobs and they are very well paied.

Glad to live in Québec. We know how to deal with snow and cold for sure. That might be a good thing for the future actually. If we hit a new ice age, we will have to deal with it in a way or another. Plus in Montréal we have the largest underground complex/network in the world so I guess in the case of an emergency we could host many people since from there we can have access to all the most important parts of the city with ease.

Peace.

JayMark said:
loreta said:

Then just immagine more or less the same thing that happened yesterday. Just less wind but faster accumulation. It actually took a tad less than 18h to receive the entire 45.6 cm. In 1971, it had taken about 28h to receive the whole 47 cm.

Well in 1971, Québec city got more than 70 cm and everything was closed for three days. I do remember because that was the day that my sister had his funeral. And many members of my extended family were stuck in my father's home (more than 20 people) for 3 days.

Gandalf said:
JayMark said:
loreta said:

Well in 1971, Québec city got more than 70 cm and everything was closed for three days. I do remember because that was the day that my sister had his funeral. And many members of my extended family were stuck in my father's home (more than 20 people) for 3 days.

Over 70 cm? Wow! That must have been crazy down there! Of course, I discussed about Montréal but I shall not forget Québec city as well (which I prefer anyways).

That must've been a hard one for sure!

During the tempest of '71 just skidoos were able to function on the streets. No cars, no buses, nothing at all. Everything was blocked, the time stopped. It was impressive.

And you are right: Quebec is a very prepared country concerning cold and snow. Thats why I will return there, in vue of the Ice Age that is almost here. :)

There is a certain poetry in snow and ice. A poetry of hardness, and solitude. The poetry of isolation and retreat. This is something that I miss here, where there is too much people.

loreta said:
During the tempest of '71 just skidoos were able to function on the streets. No cars, no buses, nothing at all. Everything was blocked, the time stopped. It was impressive.

And you are right: Quebec is a very prepared country concerning cold and snow. Thats why I will return there, in vue of the Ice Age that is almost here. :)

There is a certain poetry in snow and ice. A poetry of hardness, and solitude. The poetry of isolation and retreat. This is something that I miss here, where there is too much people.

Some in the family became stuck coming from the Laurentians mountains and we stayed the night in a school gymnasium until the autoroute could get ploughed. Made it home in rural Quebec after walking many kilometers through deep snow and were house bound for close to three or four days afterwords, with people on snow machines checking in with neighbors and bringing them what they needed.

One thing it seems, is there is no government to save the day, there is only people helping people these types of events.

Back
Top Bottom