Do-it-yourself liposomal nutrients

mocachapeau said:
A question on behalf of my daughter.

She would like to know if there is anything that I could add to my vitamin C concoction that would improve the taste. She wants to take it, daily, but unfortunately the taste turns her stomach. She tried it once and she "nearly threw up".

Has anyone done anything like that without affecting the integrity of the mixture?

I've added a very small amount of Vanilla before, and it was not bad tasting, imo. Standard recipe now is just adding the sodium bicarbonate, actually don't mind the sb addition.

I use the sodium ascorbate version without vanilla, and I chase it with water.

I've made liposomal C and I've bought it. The bought variety is this one:

2014-10-19_09-39-17.png

The advantage is that it seems to contain much less volume of lecithin than what I make at home. At least it seems so to me.

I want to minimize my lecithin intake...

Chrissy said:
My children had the same response to the taste at first. My eldest has a serious gag reflex and did throw up the first time he took it. After that, he just plain refused, because he couldn't get over that one negative experience. For my other two, I had them drink some xylitol sweeten iced tea, take the shot of vit c, and drink some more tea. That worked pretty well for them.

Recently my eldest was sick and wouldn't take the liposomal version. He spent a week feeling miserable and the asorbic acid powder just wasn't knocking it out of him. Finally he said he would take the liposomal and in two days he was much better. I guess he had to learn for himself that it really works and now the taste is not an issue.

My daughter has the very same problem, and I know she won't touch the stuff again until I change the taste. I will suggest she use some kind of chaser but I doubt she will go for it.

Goemon_ said:
mocachapeau, if you use sodium ascorbate you have not the acidic taste, you have a salt taste.

voyageur said:
I've added a very small amount of Vanilla before, and it was not bad tasting, imo. Standard recipe now is just adding the sodium bicarbonate, actually don't mind the sb addition.

If she doesn't go for the chaser I'll try the vanilla. I don't really want to change the recipe for the ascorbate version but if she prefers the salty taste to the acidic taste I'll have to try it.

hotfrog said:
I've made liposomal C and I've bought it.

The advantage is that it seems to contain much less volume of lecithin than what I make at home. At least it seems so to me.

I want to minimize my lecithin intake...

Honestly, I prefer the idea of making my own because I know for sure exactly what's in it. Also, given the quantity we will be consuming, it would probably cost me too much money.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I've done it a few times with magnesium ascorbate (from swansonvitamins.com) and the taste is a bitter salty one.
It also turns it a grey color...

I prefer sodium ascorbate or a 50/50% mix.

It's not bad if you add it to coffee or something else "strong".

I ran out of liposomal vitamin C and have been too busy and overwhelmed to make more. No problem I thought, I'll just titrate with sodium ascorbate powder. Wrong. It seems I can read my body a lot better when taking liposomal C so that it is more obvious to me when I need to stop and not get diaherrea, compared with sodium ascorbate powder where I went too far the last 2 nights.

I will be letting the lecithin in water sit overnight and making liposomal vitamin C tomorrow.

How were you able to tell that you went too far with the ascorbate alone?
Do you mean that the effects came delayed so it was too late to tell bowel tolerance?

Divide By Zero said:
Do you mean that the effects came delayed so it was too late to tell bowel tolerance?
Yes. With the liposomal vitamin C, my stomach became grumbly so I knew to stop. With sodium ascorbate powder, I stopped when my stomach became grumbly, but it was too late and past tolerance.

Maybe one way to try to help is reducing the amount of the powder that I take at a time. I was doing 1.5 tsp per 30 minutes, so maybe I'll try 1 tsp tonight.

Whether they could be mixed vitamin C and soy lecithin as softgels? Because in Macedonia can be found soy lecithin powder.

Ok, done. Soy lecithin softgels looks like honey. Mixed with vitamin C and water is obtained divided form. But after we drink 1 teaspoon, a few hours after being released a lot of power.

Lamadu said:
Ok, done. Soy lecithin softgels looks like honey. Mixed with vitamin C and water is obtained divided form. But after we drink 1 teaspoon, a few hours after being released a lot of power.

I'm not sure if softgels are the best option. From what I read, many of those contain glycerin and other additional ingredients. I could be wrong, but these extra substances might disturb the encapsulation process. Another thing is, that many soy lecitin products are GMO based. Is it possible for you to by from Amazon or iHerb? At least the product by Now Foods is supposedly non-GMO.

Lamadu said:
I was curious, have you read this entire thread? There is special equipment needed for the mixing and a special procedure for soaking the lecithin. Also, if my memory is correct, Laura did try a lecithin that had a honey consistency and the results were not good. So please read this entire thread if you haven't already, and I think you will find your results will improve a lot.

In Macedonia is only option this soya lecithin softgels. I drained this softgels. Now foods can't shiping in Macedonia. For now is only option for me.

Back
Top Bottom